• Published 6th Jun 2014
  • 668 Views, 5 Comments

The Invasion Of The Giant Flying Fish - Imperium Bedlam



The Fish Lords have found their way to Equestria and seek to destroy its inhabitants. Blub blub.

  • ...
2
 5
 668

They Descend

The ponies (and other) of Equestria went peacefully about their lives. Applejack was by her stand announcing "Buy some apples!" to anypony that passed by, almost annoyingly so. Fluttershy was feeding her animals as a mean spirited bunny kicked at her hooves in order to get her attention, little did he know of the methods of torture she had devised for him over the years. Pinkie Pie was.... doing stuff. Rarity was in her boutique, creating dress after dress that whilst at first her designs looked stunning, over time they had grown to look pretty ghastly. Princess Twilight Sparkle was in her new castle, trying to read a book under a bed sheet considering the light from the sun seemed to bounce off every wall and right into her eyeballs.

Rainbow Dash was doing what she does best! Speeding around Ponyville, keeping wary of anything that might pose a problems to its denizens. You thought I would say sleeping didn't you? For shame. Anyway, as she made one very particular round she noticed something ahead of her, ducking and weaving between the clouds with the skill a Wonderbolt could only dream of. It was with this particular thought in mind that she decided to speed up and confront it.

What she saw however shocked her to say the least, for the closer she got to the odd dot, the bigger it became. It was a blue-grey colour with a large dorsal fin going down it's back. It had a very long nose and Dash could've sworn it was some kind of fish considering the long flippers at its side, but that was just silly!

Yes Dash, yes it is.

Before Dash could contemplate the nature of the creature before her, it had spotted her and sped ahead. Not to be outdone in a contest of speed, Dash followed. The fish easily managed to top at 110 Km/h but Rainbow knew she was faster as she quickly began to catch up. Within moments Dash's hoof had grazed along the tail of the odd flying thing, and just as quickly it changed direction towards higher skies.

Dash fumbled a bit at the sudden change before her attention end turned upwards to follow the thing. As her gaze swept the sky she saw hide nor scale of the creature. Her trained eyes searched along the clear atmosphere before turning to look along the horizon. Upon finding nothing she flew back down to Ponyville, headed to the castle where Princess Twilight resigned.


Princess Twilight had finally remembered the purpose of curtains when all of a sudden a rainbow had blurred into her vision the moment she was slammed into a bookcase with a resounding "Oomph!" As she slowly got up and shook her body free of books and her head of her newfound bleariness she caught sight of Rainbow Dash getting up from her own pile of cover bound knowledge. "Dash you really have to learn to use the door", she groaned as her magic worked to clean up the mess that now littered the floor.

After a quick shake of her head and a flex of her wings to make sure they were ok Dash turned back to Twilight with a sheepish grin, "Sorry Twi, it's just that the doors are so big that it takes some effort to open them now. Not that they could ever stop me though!" She'd managed to add on the last sentence with an almost refined agility that comes with fixing up your sentences to boost your ego.

"Alright Dash, I admit that the doors are a bit annoying, but next time could you at least watch where you fly instead of charging in like Ponyville was getting attacked by some sort of monster, again?" Twilight had managed to add the last word of her sentence with an almost disdainful sigh due to the almost weekly disasters that managed to plague the small country town for about a day before being solved by her and her friends. Unless it was caused by one of her friends, then it would take two days.

Rainbow just groaned in reluctance before her memory decided to barge through the curtains as well. "Twilight! I just remembered that I was meant to tell you about! I was doing my daily scouting around the borders of Ponyville when I saw this weird fish-like thing. It had scales and fins like a fish but it couldn't have been one because fish can't fly right?" Considering Rainbow Dash, this was a sentence for the record books.

"Dash, what you're describing sounds exactly like a fish." Twilight responded with a sigh as she categorised the last few books before turning back to her friend, "alright Dash, we can go have a look for it if you like but I promised AJ I'd head to Sweet Apple Acres a few hours before sunset to help secure the fencing at the fruit bat reserve." With that she turned to the window and drew back the curtain, gesturing for her skittle-maned friend to take the lead. To her surprise however, Dash seemed set on staring slack-jawed out of the crystalline portal. It was only when Twilight looked as well that she figured out why.

A million shadows had been cast over the small town of Ponyville, for in the sky were schools of fish numbering in the thousands coming from the direction of the Everfree Forest. Fish of varying sizes looked down upon the terror-stricken ponies. At the forefront of the large horde were tiny sea dwellers that on their own were quite insignificant, but as a group they made the sky shimmer excitedly. Far beyond these fast swimmers were great hulking masses that might have given an Ursa Major a run for its bits.

Twilight and Dash flew out into the streets as the head of the fishy force forded the Everfree and moved across the skies of Ponyville. The terrifying tiddlers at the lead broke off from the main body and swam(1) through the streets at a nauseating pace, blocking off crossroads with their sheer amount. Ponies boarded up their houses in the hope that the airborne animals might be kept at bay. This worked to no avail as the net force of the marine life simply bombarded upon the houses until a hole was made and the fish could flood inside.

Dash merely looked on in horror, a deep sense of foreboding welling up inside her at the sight of the torrent of sea-life currently wading through her hometown. With barely a thought, or word to Twilight, she flew off in the direction of Sugarcube Corner. She found herself dodging in every direction to to the possibly infinite amounts of assailants surrounding her. When she finally breached the frenzy of fish she found her destination unharmed and seemingly avoided.

She warily flew to the entrance of the bakery, noting the calm demeanour the place held in comparison to the rest of the town as well as the smell of smoke and sunscreen(2). After she opened the door and took a few steps inside the confectionary complex a great pressure exerted itself upon her withers which forced her to fall to her stomach. "Oh it's just you Dashie!" Announced the ball of pink adrenaline that had allocated itself upon her back.

Meanwhile Twilights analytical mind had receded in onto itself at the overload of information until her brain just said 'screw it all' and mentally flipped a table as it gave up on trying to process the new well of data before her. It was then that her mind went into a backup phase and rather than process the entirely new situation, it instead churned out a plan based upon the information it already had available. 'First agenda,' Twilights mind had declared while it created the image of a checklist, 'ensure the safety of your friends. Second agenda, inform Celestialimmediately in the event she has not contacted you regarding the situation. Third agenda, make sure everypony in Ponyville is safe. Fourth agenda, figure out what the buck is happening.'

It was with these thoughts that Twilight nodded and set about on her newfound quest as the few ponies she could see through the marine hoard floundered towards the relative safety of their homes. Had Twilight taken a few more moments to observe the source of the soaring sea-creatures she would have noticed a second, if smaller, sun appear at the rear of the army of air-faring animals. A giant, gaping maw filled with hundreds of teeth the size of small trees hundreds of hooves below.

The Fish Lords have found their way to Equestria, seeking to drown the ponies in a tide of underlings.

Author's Note:

Me: yay I got an iPad! This should help me edit when I'm strapped for time! Especially during these pesky exams!
Brain: Write a story about fish.
Me: What? Why? That might just get the authors I'm meant to edit for annoyed with me and-
Brain: Write a story about giant fish.
Me: I can't do that brain! I'm strapped for free time as it is and I can't just-
Brain: write a story about giant, flying fish.
Me: Ok.
[SELF-LOATHING INTENSIFIES]

(1) Swam is being used as a relative term like that one Doctor Who episode. Oh and fish hate smoke and sunscreen apparently.
(2) Of course ponies wear sunscreen! Maybe....

Comments ( 5 )

The ponies (and other) of Equestria went peacefully about their lives.

If each day in Ponyville becomes more ordinary than the last one, and days dangerously tend to become absolutely usual, ...things happen. Probably to counterbalance that.

Applejack was by her stand announcing "Buy some apples!" to anypony that passed by, almost annoyingly so.

That is great. :ajbemused: Buy some apples; :ajbemused: buy some apples; buy some apples... :rainbowlaugh:

The heck did I just read?

SUMMON JEREMY WADE!!!!

Login or register to comment