• Published 6th Apr 2012
  • 879 Views, 25 Comments

The Last Stand of the Alicorns - ihaveofficiallyretired



A tale that recounts the battle that decides the fate of the alicorns.

  • ...
2
 25
 879

Chapter 7

“You as well, eh Galaxius? At least it means that I’m probably not going crazy,” remarked Archaeus. He was weak, but at least this time he was staying in his bed.

“I suppose so, but do you really think they are returning? Just hearing voices doesn’t prove anything.”

“Oh definitely. It was a draconequus who attacked me. Anarchy was his name. He’s dead now, but he was the one who sent the statue under my name.”

Galaxius pondered this for a moment. “Why would they do that? It makes no sense.”

“Hmm…I suppose you’re right. Anyway, you best get back to your family. I fear dark days are in store for us soon.”

“Yes, of course. Rest and get well, my friend.” Galaxius made his exit and went to find his family. It wasn’t long until he had found and joined his family in the garden.

Celestia and Luna were being…Celestia and Luna, somewhere in between playing and almost killing each other. Despite recent events, the two were able to maintain some level of happiness. Solara was silently watching nearby.

Galaxius approached the draconequus statue. It seemed harmless enough. However, there was something…odd about it. Something that Galaxius just couldn’t figure out. As his children laughed and played nearby, King Galaxius pondered the possibilities of the statue.

It was only a moment later that he realized that he could no longer hear Celestia and Luna. Galaxius looked around him, and it was as if time had frozen. Celestia was in mid-flight. Guards nearby were standing perfectly still.

“The mighty Galaxius, how long it has been,” spoke a voice not a foot behind the king. Galaxius turned to face the speaker, only to find the space behind him unoccupied. Suddenly time resumed.

“SHOW YOURSELF!” bellowed the king.

“Galaxius, what is wrong?” asked Solara.

“Celestia, Luna, GET OUT OF HERE!” The king was panicking slightly. His fear was not of his own death, but that of his children.

“Dad, what’s wr-“

“Leave. Now. Get out of town and hide. Please,” begged Solara. She could sense the panic in Galaxius’ voice and knew almost instantly what was about to happen.

There was a flash of alabaster light, and Archaeus appeared next to the princesses. “I shall take them. I can do no good here, but I can at least make sure that the two of them stay safe.”

“Thank you, Archaeus. If something happens to us…”

“Yes, of course.”

“Celestia and Luna, the two of you are to go with Archaeus. Do what he says. We will see you soon.” The next part was the hardest for the king to say. “Remember,” he started, tears forming in his eyes, “that we will always love you.”

There was another flash of alabaster light, and before any more could be said, Celestia, Luna, and Archaeus were gone. Galaxius looked out at the sky, away from the queen.

“Don’t worry, my love, we will see them aga-“ Solara was unable to finish what she was going to say.

Galaxius turned to face his wife. Pandemonium was there, but that was not what infuriated him the most. Next to Pandemonium was another draconequus, his talons dug into the neck of the queen.

The king stood there, dumbstruck. His wife had just been murdered. Anger flared in his eyes.

“Well then Galaxius. It seems you’ve gotten weak.” Pandemonium stood there, Entropy standing next to him, still holding the lifeless body of Solara.

“You…How dare you!” Galaxius seemed to dissolve into the air. Not a moment later did he reappear with his horn in the heart of Entropy.

“Da…Dad?” Entropy collapsed, finally releasing his grip on Solara.

Pandemonium sprung his plan to action. He cast a bolt of energy up into the sky. It exploded in midair, which tore a hole in the fabric of reality. From the other side of the rift emerged thousands of draconequui.

The king looked in disbelief as the draconequui emerged through the dimensional tear and began to wreak havoc. “That… That is impossible! Your army was defeated years ago!”

Screams of the unprepared guards could be heard throughout the castle grounds. “Oh Galaxius, what do you think we have been doing for two hundred years? We have grown in strength and numbers, old friend. Your pathetic race is powerless before us! Goodbye for now, foolish king!” Pandemonium faded into nothingness as the king watched his loyal soldiers die before his eyes.


“Captain, what’s going on?” The soldiers were terrified. Suddenly the greatest enemy of Equestria had returned in unreal numbers. Ponies were dying left and right.

Captain Centurion was not about to go down without a fight. He and the remaining guards had gathered at the front gate. They were the last thing standing between the draconequui and Canterlot. “You, go into town, rally all troops and order an immediate evacuation. However, if any are willing to stay and fight, they are more than welcome, but they take orders directly from me. Understand?” The alicorn nodded in understanding. “If something happens here or I am unable to give orders through you, you are in charge. Now go!” The alicorn took off towards the town. Centurion knew that they would all likely die. Without warning, the draconequui were upon them.

Some laughed. Some yelled. All died. The horns of the alicorn guardsmen were bloodied from impaling the draconequui. Guards died too. The claws of the draconequui tore through the armor of the guards. The bloodbath seemed like it could never end.

Blood spilled and scattered across the inside of the gate of the castle. Who’s exactly, was unknown. A few hundred alicorns defending against thousands of draconequui. The odds were against the guards, but they held their ground. Both sides were suffering great losses. A blast of energy would take out a group of draconequui. The throats of guards torn out before they could react. Perhaps a guard would stab a draconequus in the heart. The fight was brutal.
It wasn’t long until the fighting at the gate was over. The guards were dead. The gates were crimson, the grass stained with blood. The guards did not die for nothing, though. In their final moments, the guards destroyed half of the draconequus army.

The bodies lay everywhere. Captain Centurion’s body bore wounds inflicted by over a dozen draconequui trying to kill him. Eventually one landed a killing blow. Centurion was the last of the guards to die.
No one noticed that nearby there was a large blue box.


In Canterlot, things became a bit hectic and crazy. The most alicorns stayed to fight, sending the young and their mothers away. Many unicorns and pegasi stayed to fight, but most were tasked with aiding the evacuation. They could not match the power of the alicorns, but insisted in helping where they could.

“I SEE THEM!”

“THEY’RE COMING!”

“WE’RE ALL GONNA DIE!”

The draconequus army could be seen heading toward the town. Many panicked. Most of the town was not trained in combat. A good number of alicorns had fought in the last war against the draconequui, but it had been years since then. Ponies ran amok through the streets of Canterlot.

“Everypony! Listen to me!” The alicorn flew high over the town. He drew the attention of all. It was the guard sent from castle. “This is it! This is where we prove who we are! Sure, a good number of us may lose our lives here, but we have to stop this war before it begins!” Many below began cheering for him. “The army is on its way here. If you plan to leave, do so now. You may not make it.” The army loomed ever closer. “My fellow ponies! This is our final stand! To battle!” The masses below prepared for the coming fight. They had a leader now. Maybe they could win this after all.
“You foolish child.” Pandemonium faded into reality and sunk his claw into the chest of the guard. The blood that rained down to the crowd below only preceded the guard’s body. No one ever knew his name.


Galaxius kneeled by the body of his wife. “Goodbye for now, my love. I’ll see you on the other side.” With that final remark, the king took to the sky, flying faster than ever before. No one noticed, but an explosion of color radiated from the castle.

Closer and closer was Galaxius to his enemy. He knew that he was flying to his death, but he hoped that Pandemonium would go with him. Soon Galaxius could truly see the fighting. Bodies of both ponies and draconequui lined the streets and covered the roofs of buildings. The fabric of reality was folding around the draconequui magic, changing things not meant to be changed. Buildings might grow legs and walk away. Perhaps magic wouldn’t work properly. Not even the draconequui knew exactly what would happen.

A thought occurred to Galaxius. Even if the war is stopped here and everyone dies, it would be only the alicorns who would truly perish. A very small number of alicorns lived outside of the capital. There was no need for them to travel elsewhere. This truly was the last stand of not only King Galaxius, but of the alicorns.

A draconequus appeared in the path of Galaxius. The king only lowered his horn. The draconequus could do nothing as
the king’s horn pierced his abdomen. The king never stopped, blood trailing from his horn.

The draconequus emperor noticed his new guest. “Ah, Galaxius. So glad you could join us.”

“Keep talking while you can, Pandemonium. I’ll be sure to silence you forever.” A group of draconequui emerged around Galaxius but a sudden flash of magic sent them hurtling toward the ground dead before they knew what happened.

“Ooh, the benevolent king shows himself eh?” The emperor cleared his throat, then bellowed out so all could hear. “ANY WHO TRY TO INTERUPT GALAXIUS AND ME SHALL DIE.” He looked at the king. “Good enough?”

“I wouldn’t want it any other way.”