• Published 6th Apr 2012
  • 879 Views, 25 Comments

The Last Stand of the Alicorns - ihaveofficiallyretired



A tale that recounts the battle that decides the fate of the alicorns.

  • ...
2
 25
 879

Chapter 2

It was several hours later when the two fillies had decided to finally go to sleep. They were too tired to even consider eating dinner.

“Solara, I’m going out for a bit. I feel…anxious,” Galaxius said to his wife. It was late at night, and he had already raised the moon. Solara would be the one to put it down when she raised the sun in the morning, so he didn’t have to worry about that. There was something that unsettled him; he just didn’t know what it was.

“What about, my love?”

The king sighed. “I know not. Just a bad feeling. I just want to go out and clear my mind. I will see you sometime tomorrow."

“Just try not to wake the children.” Solara knew something was wrong. Galaxius had always had some way of knowing when something bad was about to happen. What was it that was going to go wrong? None knew, not even the king himself.
As Galaxius wandered the castle grounds, a deep voice spoke softly…as if it was talking into his mind, not his ears.

Galaxius…Galaxius…your end…is….near…..

Galaxius was suddenly alarmed. It was a voice he recognized, a voice he had not heard for over two hundred years. “It…It can’t be…” The king was dumbfounded. Nothing made sense at the moment. That voice vanished in the last war. It was the voice of Pandemonium, emperor of the draconequui.

“SOLARA! SOLARA!” The normally nonchalant alicorn was in full gallop, panic dancing among his words.

“Galaxius, please, calm down. The children are asleep. What is wrong?” Solara wouldn’t let the worry in her voice show, so as not to panic Galaxius even more. Solara knew what was wrong; only one thing would cause her husband to act like this…

“I heard him. It was definitely him. I don’t know what is going on, but Solara…I fear the worst.” Galaxius was finally calming down slightly. The adrenaline was leaving his system, and fatigue quickly came.

“Calm down…just…Are you sure? Is it not simply your imagination? Many alicorns thought and still think they hear voices of draconequui.” Solara absolutely believed what her husband said was true, and that it is possible that the draconequui are about to return. However, she did not want to worry him further.

“No, I’m sure…I…Perhaps you’re right. I may have just been hearing things. I don’t know anymore.” Galaxius looked out the window and noticed that the moon was sinking behind the horizon and the ever changing colors of dawn. Neither the king nor queen spoke for several minutes.

Suddenly, three guards burst through the door. “You have a guest your majesty.”

“Galaxius looked at the guards in utter confusion. “A guest? The sun isn’t even up yet.”

“I…am aware…of the time…you…fool,” spoke a familiar voice, agony weaved throughout his speech. From behind the guards emerged Archaeus, but he was almost unrecognizable behind his injuries.

Archaeus, the king’s best friend, was only slightly smaller than him. His deep brown coat was reminiscent of freshly uncovered earth, and his mane was a pale alabaster. He had a grand, grand wingspan, large for even the largest of alicorns. His horn was ideally shaped. Overall, he was a very handsome alicorn, if a bit eccentric.

However, the alicorn who entered Galaxius’ court was not the same he once knew. Archaeus had deep, bloody gashes all over his body. His horn was fractured and missing the top third. One of his forelegs was broken. A gash across his face forced blindness in one eye. But that wasn’t the worst part. One of Archaeus’ wings had been torn off. The stallion could barely stand, and was losing blood.

“Archaeus? What happened?!” demanded King Galaxius. The majority of Equestria hadn’t seen something this brutal since the war, the king included. He was outraged.

“Archaeus, come with me. Let’s see if we can do something about those wounds,” Solara started. Solara led Archaeus off to a separate room to begin treating him. “Galaxius,” said Solara, “I need you to finish raising the sun today.”

“Yes, of course.” Galaxius stumbled over the words. Within an hour, the king had heard the voice of his greatest enemy and seen his best friend, barely able to move and on the verge of death, in the castle court. “Guards, you are dismissed.” The guards nodded and left. Galaxius raised the sun and lowered the moon at his wife’s request. Once he was finished, Galaxius dashed off to see his friend.

“Solara, how is he?” asked the king.

“He’ll live, but he’s not likely to wake for several days,” started Solara. “There was one thing he told me to tell you if he passed out before he could tell you in person.”

The king knew in the back of his mind the news she was about to share. He knew, but did not want to believe. Archaeus began to stir.

“They…are…back…” muttered Archaeus, fighting to stay awake. “The draconequui…are back…sent the…statue…attacked…” Archaeus drifted back into sleep, partially due to the influence of a sleeping spell on behalf of the queen.

“The…statue. Does he mean…No?” Galaxius dashed off toward the garden. Thoughts were racing through his head. They never knew what happened to Pandemonium, nor the rest of the draconequui. It’s possible that they somehow survived by…what? Turning to stone? No, that made no sense. That could be a coincidence. Finally Galaxius arrived in the castle’s majestic garden.

The pedestal was still in place, but the draconequus that stood atop was nowhere to be found.

I told you Galaxius, your end is near…

Some great force overwhelmed him, and all went black for the great King Galaxius.