• Published 11th Apr 2012
  • 2,675 Views, 106 Comments

A Flare of Light - NightSky



Midnight Flare, a love creation between a dragon and a pony, must find his place in the world.

  • ...
6
 106
 2,675

Secrets

"Hey, bro, are you awake?" A voice pulled Flare out of his much needed sleep. He opened his eyes and stared grumply at his brother, who seemed excited about something.

"I am now, so what do you want?" He growled. His brother simply raised his hands in mock surrender.

"My, someone's grumpy today."

"Well, I just fell off of a building, so what do you think?" Flare said, lowering putting his head back down on the ground.

"You did what?" His brother asked, generally shocked.

"Well I, ah, fell asleep when I was with Celestia and I sort of, well, dragged us both off of the tower." Flare said. His brother simple broke out laughing hysterically. "You didn't know that?"

His brother stopped laughing long enough to speak. "No, I was asleep. Since I am the assistant to the Princess of the Night, I need to be awake at night. So we sleep throughout the day."

"Ah."

"Yeah. And that's quite the prank, I'll give you that."

"Prank? You think I did that on purpose?" Flare said, trying not to sound too guilty.

"Of course you did. I know you better than you think. Besides, it's what I would have done." He said, winking. "Although poor Luna's going to have a fit when she hears about this. She was already grumpy enough today..."

"She in a bad mood today?"

"Yeah, strangest thing. She's been in a frump since she woke up today."

"Maybe she fell off of a building, too." Flare said. "Now did you wake me up just to talk about my prank?"

"Ok, fine, I'll cut to the chase. We need to split our name." He deadpanned.

"What?" Flare asked, caught completely off guard by this.

"Everypony is confused now that there are two of us. I figure if we go by different names, than ponies can tell us apart easier."

"Well, have any idea's in mind?" Flare asked, resigned. It was true, ponies would have a hard time with two identical ponies with the same name.

"Well, considering our full name is 'Midnight Flare', why doesn't one of us become 'Midnight', and the other 'Flare'?"

"Fine, but I call dibs on 'Flare'." He said, closing his eyes and trying to sleep again.

"And why should that be? Why shouldn't I be 'Flare'? I'm the original one."

Flare opened one eye and looked at his brother. "Because you're with Luna. 'Midnight and Luna', its fitting."

"Fine, you have a point there." Midnight said, a smirk appearing as he turned to leave. "Flare and Celestia, its fitting." He said with a laugh as he left.

Flare gave him one last look of pure ice, than closed his eyes and slept again.

____________________

The gong of a bell brought Flare out of his sleep again. It was much later in the day than before. The sun had begun to set over the horizon, and the moon was just barely visible as it rose.

Since this bell meant dinner, however, he was more motivated to answer it. Slowly, he dragged himself to his feet, every joint popping.

Perhaps I should have thought a bit more about the fall prank. He thought, transforming into his pony form as he walked back to the castle.

As usual, the crowd of ponies flowed like a river into the dinning hall. Most of which were in groups, socializing and gossiping. Flare suddenly felt secluded and alone, since he recognized none of the ponies around him.

"Come on, don't tell me you're getting lost on the way to dinner." Midnight said, slapping Flare on the back.

"Nah, just waiting to see how long it took for you to catch up." He said, smiling. "Have you filled ponies in on our little agreement earlier?"

"Yeah, I have. Hopefully word will spread fast about it quickly so we don't have to explain it to everypony." Midnight said.

"Good. How did Luna react to the news about our incident?" Flare asked.

"Oh, the sort of reaction you'd expect. Panic and anger. It didn't seem to improve her mood much, if anything, she seems darker now." He said, lowering his voice. "Although I didn't tell her it was a prank, so Celestia won't find out."

"Good, thanks." Flare said as they walked into the dinning hall. Both of them stopped at the same time. "Oh great."

It was obvious Celestia and Luna had just finished a heated debate. They both had locked glances and set jaws, although Luna seemed unmoving while Celestia seemed almost sad. It was obvious who was winning the debate. Shining Armor and Cadence had moved farther down the table to give them space and privacy.

"You know, I'm not all that hungry." Midnight said.

"Yeah, neither am I." Flare agreed, both of them turning at the same time and making a speedy escape from the dinning hall.

"What do you think that was about?" Midnight asked as they began to walk aimlessly through the halls.

"I don't know, but we are going to need a damn good excuse when they find us." Flare said.

"Yes, you will." A voice, as cold as the night for which she controlled, said behind them. They both froze, their eyes going wide. They both turned slowly to face the two alicorns.

"Care to explain your sudden lose of appetite?" Celestia asked, though more sympathetic than demanding. But Luna had a glare of ice that said she thought otherwise.

"Well, you two looked like you needed some, ah," Flare said, searching for the right word. "privacy."

"Yes, well." Luna said, glancing up at her big sister. "Our bickering is done for now."

Flare looked at his brother. Midnight had a perplexed expression on his face. Luna was being a bit grumpy today.

"Are you feeling ok, Luna?" Midnight asked, concerned.

"Yes, I am fine." Luna said sharply. "I just...have a lot on my mind."

And with that, she trotted off down the hall. Midnight glanced worriedly at Flare and Celestia, then turned and followed her.

Flare simply looked at Celestia, completely confused. "Care to explain what is going on?"

Celestia watched her sister go with a sad expression. "No, I don't. It's too...complicated."

"If you say so." Flare said, but he did not leave. Celestia sighed.

"Do you need something, Flare?"

"This may not be an appropriate time to make this request, but is there any place where I can stay? We never eally made arrangements for me getting quarters when I arrived." He said, grinning sheepishly.

Celestia laughed. "Sure, I bet we can you something arranged." She seemed a little happier now, probably because she had a task to occupy her mind.

"As a matter of fact." She said, smiling. "How would you like a job around the castle? An assistant position for me, perhaps?"

Flare smiled back. "That sounds like a plan."

____________________

Midnight ran after Luna as she stormed away.

"Luna! Wait up!" He said, catching up to her as they reached the base of the tower. "Luna? What's wrong?"

She turned and glared at him. She seemed different, almost darker. He could tell something was wrong with her.

"Come on Luna, talk to me."

"I'm fine." She said coldly, starting up the stairs with Midnight close behind.

"I know you well enough to tell you are not 'fine'. Something is wrong here." He said, passing Luna and putting himself between her and her quarters. "And you are going to tell me what it is."

"I will do no such thing, and you will get out of my way." She said, pushing by him and into her quarters. Before Midnight could turn and follow her, the door was slammed in his face. He sighed, knocking politely.

"Go away!" She shouted through the door.

"I'm not going anywhere!" He shouted back. "Not until you tell me what's wrong!"

And with that, he lay down against the door, waiting.

____________________

Flare stood outside in his new quarters, looking it over. "Thank you, Princess, for this."

"No problem at all, Flare." She said happily. "And you know you don't have to call me 'Princess'?"

"I know." He said. "But it is appropriate."

Celestia laughed. "If you say so." She looked out the window and her smile slowly faded. The moon was clearly visible through the window. It was very bright tonight.

"Is that it?" Flare asked, catching on. "Is there something about tonight that is making Luna act up?"

Celestia nodded. "Luna has always been very proud of her night. She molded and shaped each star, comet, and the very moon itself. It is very easy to see where her jealousy and sadness comes from for few ponies appreciating it. That was where her animal side, the Nightmare, comes from."

Flare nodded. "Does that have something to do with her weird behavior?"

Celestia nodded, sadly. "Yes, it does. While Nightmare Moon was defeated, it still resides within her, while in a weakened state. Within every being, there is an animal. The most basic of instincts and desires. If not kept under control, it can take over you, devour you."

"And you think Nightmare Moon might be coming back?"

"Perhaps. Tonight is unique. Do you notice anything special about it?"

Flare glanced up at the stars and the moon. "It's a full moon tonight?"

"Yes, but not just any full moon, it is a blue moon. This is the second full moon this month. This occurrence is extremely rare, and it gives Luna certain strengths while it lasts. She has already been in an unusually foul mood today, and I fear what this extra power will cause from her."

"Than why aren't you with her?" Flare asked. "Why aren't you making sure she doesn't lose herself."

"Because she needs to fight this monster herself. She needs to know that if I am ever unavailable to help her, that she can save herself. Besides, your brother could do far more to help her than I ever could."

"And what will you do if she loses herself?" Flare asked.

Celestia paused. "I don't know. I'm not sure if I would have the ability to take the pain of sending her away again."

A profound silence fell over them as they waited for one of them to say something.

"I'm...sorry, for the inappropriate hug the other night." Flare finally said, breaking the silence and changing the subject. Celestia smiled.

"It's ok for friends to hug each other, Flare." She said, walking forward and giving him a hug, as if to prove the point. But Flare could tell she needed it. Not as much as Luna does. He thought. She finally released him.

"Well, I think we both need some rest." She said, turning to leave. "Goodnight Flare."

"Goodnight Princess." He replied.

"Oh, and Flare?"

"Yes, Princess?"

A smirk blossomed on her face. "I hear more than you think. I'll get you back for that prank." And with that, she closed his door and was gone. Flare stared after her, realizing what she had just said.

"How?"

___________________

Midnight had sat outside of Luna's door for what had seemed like an eternity. He had tried going around to her balcony, but she had locked that door as well.

What could possibly be doing this to her? He thought, but quickly discarded it at some of the possibilities. He set his head down and tried to sleep.

Thump. The noise ripped him from his dozing.

"Luna? Are you ok?" He called, but received no response.

He pressed an ear against the door, listening. He heard little, but what he could hear indicated movement, erratic, struggling movements.

"Luna?" He called again. "Answer me or I'll blow this door down."

Receiving no response, he stood and backed away from the door, his horn glowing. He closed his eyes and concentrated.

Boom. The door shattered as a bolt of lightning ripped through it, shortly followed by Midnight as he charged in.

Luna was sitting in a corner, half hidden in the shadows. She was crying, tears rolling down her face.

"Luna!" Midnight cried, rushing over to her and holding her. She opened an eye to look at him, but it glowed a bright white. He paused to look her over. Something was happening to her. Her limbs were a darker color, her hooves had turned completely black, as had her horn and her flank. Her cutie mark was now a purple color, with the moon a very light blue shade.

"She's coming back." She said, half sobbing, in a distorted voice. "The Nightmare is returning."

Midnight's eyes went wide. He glanced around the room, debating whether or not to leave and get help. Almost as if she could sense the though, Luna pressed a hoof down hard on his.

"No." Her voice was more controlled now, but still distorted. "They can't help. I have to face this-" He hunched over and coughed sharply. "-alone."

"No," Midnight said, holding her tighter. "Not alone."

And so they sat together, Midnight holding Luna as she fought and struggled with the monster within herself. There were she became almost completely black and Midnight thought she was lost. But she kept fighting as the night wore on. The black color on her coat would recede and return like the tide of a sea.

Finally, the moon crested the horizon and the sun tooks its place. Midnight watched for what seemed like an eternity as it slipped out of sight. The black parts of her coat receded out of sight and Luna once again looked normal. The glow in her eyes faded as she went limp, unconscious. He caught her and smiled. She had won, the Nightmare was gone for now.

Carefully, he lifted her and carried her to her bed, laying her down and pulling the covers over her. He gave her a quick kiss on the forehead, levitating a chair over and sitting at her side. Her battle was won, now it was time for him to protect her from the rest of the world.

___________________

Authors Note:

Sorry everyone for how long this took me. Been busy visiting the family who live halfway across the country. Also, I've been helping friends move back into school for the year.

Comments ( 5 )

A touching moment for Midnight and Luna. Excellent chapter once again.

Turn Up The Night - Black Sabbath

Thank you for making it easier to read this:pinkiehappy:

I'm loving this story. Can't wait to see how it continues.

p.s. I thought Luna was pregnant when she started getting mood swings. :rainbowlaugh:

Login or register to comment