• Published 25th Aug 2014
  • 932 Views, 24 Comments

Digital Love - Closer-To-The-Sun



Twilight Sparkle is given an AI with the instructions to help it learn. However, it seems both of them are learning something.

  • ...
4
 24
 932

Chapter 11: Short Circuit

The night was growing late in Equestria, and most of the citizens had turned in for the night. However, a purple pony still was wide awake as she sat in the library. All the lights were off, with the only sources of light were any outdoor lights faintly shining inward and the computer monitor that sat in front of Twilight. She didn't seem to really seem to care that the clock was showing the time to be past one in the morning. In fact, it seemed that Twilight was unaware of it's existence, as she was fixated on the screen as her body clutched a pillow close to her body.

"She, as well as her sister, were truly was quite remarkable for supporting their family by working during that time, and even more so to face their first Hearth's Warming Eve without their father," Giga spoke.

"It's true, but you have to remember, each of the ponies had their own ambitions to do more than just what the society would want for them. You do have a tomboy who prefers to write than do anything that was deemed acceptable for the time for mares to do," Twilight responded.

As the two continued to chat about literature in the dark, a purple dragon wandered down from the stairs into the library.

"Twilight? Are you still up?" he asked, walking down the steps.

"Oh Spike! Come on in!" Twilight turned her body a little to make eye contact with the dragon and motioned with her hoof to welcome him, "Giga and I are discusing the first half of the novel 'Little Mares'! Do join us!"

"Firstly, no thanks. Second, it's one in the morning, why are you still up?"

"Salutations, Spike the dragon," Giga weclomed.

"Hey, Giga Byte," he replied tiredly.

"We're just discussing literature, Spike. It's nothing out of the ordinary for us," the purple mare insisted.

"That's fine and all, but you've been at it forever!"

Twilight scoffed, "It hasn't been that long."

"Giga, how long have you been talking with Twilight today?" Spike asked aloud.

Without missing a beat, the computer program replied, "Princess Twilight Sparkle has been corresponding with the Artificial Pony Intelligence Program for eighteen hours within the last 24 hour period."

Spike raised his claws up, motioning to the computer, "See?"

Twilight looked a little embarrassed at the answer, "It's not that big of a deal...."

"Oh really? I haven't seen you leave this library in a few days. Not to mention, have you even turned off the computer for any point since we set it up?"

"Spike, I don't like what you are implying," Twilight spoke with a stern tone.

"I'm not implying anything, Twilight," the dragon stressed, "What I'm saying is that I think you are getting too attached to the computer, as well Giga Byte. He's just a program that you are supposed to be studying."

"Spike, how dare you say something like that, Giga Byte is our friend!" Twilight was shocked.

Giga Byte was silent. However, the harddrive of the computer was running quickly and louder than before.

The dragon stopped himself from saying anything else for a moment before speaking again, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that. What I meant to say was that having the computer and Giga Byte here has taken over your life, Twilight. I haven't seen you use your magic in almost a week, and you rarely leave the library."

Twilight didn't reply for a moment, mostly because she knew Spike was making very valid points. However, she wasn't going to admit it. "Spike, you're over reacting. I'm perfectly fine. And don't forget, Giga is here for us to study his progress with learning and studying the affects of friendship."

"I know," the dragon spoke meekly.

"So, if anything, I'm just doing what Princess Celestia has asked of me. Giga has gone above and beyond of his expectations and I couldn't be more proud of what we have gone over together," Twilight continued, detailing out everything, "We've cataloged the library from top to bottom, discussed countless books, talked about numerous subjects, and Giga has even created his own programming to learn things! He has even taught himself how to sing! Giga, show him your favorite song!"

As if he was waiting for his cue, Giga started to sing. His voice seemed to be slightly digital yet still sounded as if it were organic, "Oh my love's like a red, red rose,/That’s newly sprung in June;/Oh my love's like the melody,/That’s sweetly play'd in tune."

Spike cut the computer program off, "That's fine and all, Giga Byte, impressive really, but are you really okay with all of this?"

"He's totally okay with it, Spike!" Twilight insisted.

"Is that true, Giga Byte? Are you okay?" Spike asked to the computer.

"I am operating within normal parameters," Giga Byte replied with the whirring of his harddrive.

"I really should have expected that answer," Spike sighed.

Comments ( 1 )

Hopefully you come back soon to the story brother, I am a big fan of this story and have been eagerly awaiting for the next chapter. Hope it isn't dead.:pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment