• Published 25th Aug 2014
  • 932 Views, 24 Comments

Digital Love - Closer-To-The-Sun



Twilight Sparkle is given an AI with the instructions to help it learn. However, it seems both of them are learning something.

  • ...
4
 24
 932

Chapter 7: Within

Chapter 7: Within

The next morning, Twilight awoke to find that she was alone in the library. It seemed that Spike had stepped out for breakfast or something of that manner, all she knew was that Spike was not in his bed. Pulling herself out of her bed, she headed down the stairs and into the vacant library. All was quiet except for the faint humming from the computer upon the desk. Giga had, once again, requested that he be left on overnight.

"Good morning, Giga Byte," Twilight greeted with a yawn. She raised a hoof to politely cover he mouth.

"Greetings, Twilight Sparkle. How are you feeling this morning?" the computer spoke back.

"Other than feeling a little more tired than normal, I'm doing well. I think it had to do with all of that cataloging we did yesterday. How are you doing?"

A whirring came from the computer briefly, "I am operating within normal parameters, thank you for asking."

Twilight couldn't help but give a soft giggle at Giga's response. "Glad to hear that. Is there anything on our agenda for the day?"

"In the afternoon, you have an engagement with your friend Rarity at her home. That is the only event arranged for today," the computer replied.

The alicorn nodded as she neared the desk, "Okay. Thank you."

"May I ask a question to you Twilight?" Giga waited a moment before submitting his inquiry.

"Hmm? Of course, what is it?"

"This has been troubling my thought process for a while now and I believe that our conversation yesterday sparked it further; what exactly is my purpose for existing?"

Twilight was dumbfounded, "Come again?"

Giga rephrased his statement, "I am unable to find a satisfactory answer for the question of my existence. I seem to be an artificial intelligence program, created with the ability to learn and such, but I fail to find a purpose beyond that."

"Well, you are Equestria's very first artificial intelligence program. That alone is revolutionary and a landmark achievement. And since your activation, you've created your own software allowing you to communicate with ponies without the need of a keyboard. Princess Celestia herself has stated that in your trial run, you exceeded all expectations," Twilight listed out the number of achievements the AI had already performed.

"But that still does not explain my purpose for existing."

Biting her lip, Twilight answered, "Well, actually, the princess told me that the next logical step for you is to learn more, such as friendship."

"Learning of friendship? I am puzzled. How will I go about learning something of that nature?"

"Heh," the pony laughed slightly, "well, to be honest, Princess Celestia had me learn about friendship when she first sent me here to Ponyville. It took quite some time, and I was even baffled by it for the longest time, but it's something worth learning. I know it might sound like a struggle, but it allows you to see the whole world in a new light."

Giga Byte was silent. The noise from within the computer acted as a response to the young princess.

The alicorn continued, "While I might be the Equestria's Princess of Friendship, I still have difficulty understanding the concept myself. there is nothing wrong with admitting with oneself that you are at a loss. In fact, I have learned taking confidence in a friend and sharing such beliefs strengthens the bonds between the two individuals, making the friendship even stronger."

After a moment of emitting no other noises except from the harddrive, Giga Byte admitted, "There seems to be a number of things I just do not full comprehend."

"It's okay to admit that, Giga. I'll do whatever I can to help you learn and understand. That's what friends are for."

"Thank you, Twilight Sparkle. I do have something that I wish to learn to broaden my experience, if you do not mind."

"Sure, what is it?"

"I wish to learn about emotions and sensations."