• Published 29th Apr 2014
  • 503 Views, 12 Comments

The Open Sky - maribakumon



Fluttershy finds herself flying free in the wide open sky.

  • ...
0
 12
 503

The Open Sky

"Angel, dinner time!" said the joyous yellow pegasus. "I couldn't find your favorite carrots at the market today, so I hope these will do." she said apologetically. The angry rabbit sat and looked at Fluttershy in disgust. "Oh! I forgot something, didn't I?" sounded the perplexed pony. "Did you want lettuce with your carrots? Or maybe some berries?" The angered Angel sat and stared with discontent. The upset Fluttershy stared sadly in return. Angel then picked up a carrot and threw it at her chest. Fluttershy looked even sadder and said "I'm sorry, Angel. I looked all over town for your favorite carrots, but it seems that they've all been bought by other ponies. If there were any more in Ponyville then I would have found them." Angel turned his back, giving Fluttershy the cold shoulder. "Please, Angel, just eat the carrots I found for you. I guarantee that they'll taste just as good as the others." She took a bite out of one of the carrots and made a horrified face. "S-see, Angel? Th-they're de-delicious!" said the nauseous pony. Angel turned around to see if Fluttershy was actually enjoying the food. She forced herself to swallow the foul vegetable. The curious bunny then slowly hopped over to the bowl where the carrots laid. He inspectingly smelled the bowl to see if his caretaker was being truthful. He found nothing wrong. Angel then picked up a carrot and bit into it. He then spit it out and ran to the window where he threw the bowl across the river that surrounded Fluttershy's cottage. "I'm so sorry Angel. I tried my best to find you a dinner you'd enjoy." the pony muttered in a saddened tone. Angel moved back over to Fluttershy where he then pointed to the door, silently instructing her to go and find the carrots he desired. Fluttershy responded, "Angel, is there anything else I could get you to eat for dinner? Something we have at the cottage, perhaps?" Angel continued to point at the door, although he now looked even more angry. "Ooh! I guess I'll go back out and search again. You're lucky I'm such a kind pony. Otherwise I would have made you eat something we have here."

Fluttershy left the cottage again in search for Angel Bunny's desired carrots. Her destination was the marketplace. She would have saved time by flying, but that night was a very busy night in Ponyville and the timid pegasus couldn't be seen doing something like that. There was a school play in the center of town. Ponyville may seem like a large place at times, but in reality, it's actually quite small. Whenever there is an event of any kind, everypony is out and about all night. After a ten minute walk through town, she made it to the marketplace, where her worst case scenario came to be. The carrot vendor had gone to the school performance. Fluttershy let out a burst of expression in a way that Rarity was known to have done. "This is The. Worst. Possible. Thing!" She silently spoke to herself, "Oh no! What to do. What to do! I can't go home to Angel empty hoofed."

She continued to think for a decent time when she remembered, "There's a carrot farm outside of Ponyville that grows Angel's favorite carrots!" She trotted as quickly as she could to the town border, and then continued to trot until she saw the farm off in the distance. "Oh, thank goodness it's carrot season." she said with ease. She knew the pony who owned the farm. It was none other than Carrot Top. She had one time asked a favor of Fluttershy. She was the proud owner of a pet ferret. Carrot Top had to go out of town for undisclosed reasons and needed someone to watch over her beloved pet. Fluttershy was an obvious choice and gladly accepted the role of its temporary caregiver. Although Fluttershy was going to take care of the ferret without need of payment, Carrot Top said that she could stop by her farm at anytime.

Fluttershy, worried that Carrot Top would be in town for the play and not at her farm, walked to her door and lightly knocked. There was no immediate answer, so she knocks again, this time slightly louder. A moment later Carrot Top opened the door to see her go-to pet sitter, Fluttershy. She greeted her, "Hey, Fluttershy! How have you been?" Fluttershy responds, "I've been fine. How about you?" "I've been great! This season has made quite the harvest! Are you planning on going to the school play?" questioned the kind farmer. "I wish I could, but I have to feed Angel before I can do anything else. I'm actually here to ask you if I could have some of your carrots. That is, if you wouldn't mind..." she said politely. "Of course you can! You've done a lot for me by pet-sitting my ferret. Just head out back and pick as many as you'd like. I've got plenty!" explained the orange haired farmer. "Oh, thank you so much. I hope I'm not a bother." "Not at all. I was just about to leave for the play. I should probably leave now so I can get there before it starts. Go and pick your carrots from the field and I'll see you around!" They exchange parting words. She departs and Fluttershy heads around the house to the see the field of carrots. "Wow! This field is a lot bigger than I thought it was." she exclaimed. "I see what she meant by, 'quite the harvest'."

She walked over to the field, overjoyed that Carrot Top was so generous as to let her take what she wanted. "I don't want to take too many, just enough to feed Angel." she thought to herself. She put a few carrots in her saddlebags and then felt strange a blanket of happiness fall over her when she thought about how much she's doing for the little bunny. The feeling was so overwhelming that she began the hover slightly about the ground. She made no attempt to stop herself for there was nopony around to see her. She thought that it was time to head home, she had been gone for nearly an hour. But her body wouldn't move due to the surge of emotion. Fluttershy felt too great to deny herself of a small session of flying.

She took to the sky without any cares. Feeling the wind in her hair made her question why she never flies, forgetting about her shyness. She felt alive and never had any thoughts about leaving the open sky that she had never tried to experience. Rainbow Dash had tried to explain how great it felt to fly, but Fluttershy never understood. Now she completely understands what it means to have wings and to soar through the air. It was exhilarating. The yellow pegasus continued to fly higher, and higher until she saw the lights of Ponyville beneath her. The entire town was only the size of her hoof from that distance. As great as it felt to be a pegasus, she had to return home to her best friend. She drifted slowly to the ground, feeling better than she ever has. Landing on the ground she almost fell, forgetting that you need to use your legs to stand.

She started for home, looking back on the moment she just had to herself and the sky. It was something that she would never want to forget, and maybe even do again some day. But those moments were rare, and sought out by everypony.

Author's Note:

This is my very poorly put together fanfiction. It's my first and probably my only. I hope you don't hate it enough to throw rocks at your computer...

Comments ( 12 )

Just a little tip. It's better to leave a line and have shorter paragraphs. :twilightsmile:

4309512 Thanks for the input! I tried my best the keep them simple yet to have the purpose of the paragraph within itself. If that makes any sense.... :applejackunsure:

4310096 It makes complete sense :twilightblush:

4310096 Also, I just saw this but, why throw rocks at your computer :applejackconfused: Every-pony will love this Fic!

4310856 I really hope they do. This turned out a whole lot better than I thought it would.

4311765 This was a very good turnout.
I expect good things in the future:twilightsmile:

:fluttershbad: CAUSE I'M FREE!
FREE FALLIN'!

4537507 I like you! You give me witty comments! :rainbowkiss:

4547650 My point exactly! XD

It's a nice story and I actually imagine Fluttershy doing something like this. It may have been short but great non the less! I hope you continue making story's like this, Firebrace out!:yay:

Login or register to comment