• Published 9th May 2014
  • 3,400 Views, 173 Comments

Yu-Gi-Oh! P†H - moviemaster8510



In an alternate reality in which dueling is Earth's greatest pastime, one duelist receives a mysterious card that unlocks his destiny that will lead him to becoming the savior of two worlds...

  • ...
29
 173
 3,400

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 6: Better Living Through Chemistry, Part 2

Yurik continued to stand trembling before Twilight and her new set of monsters, all of which dwarfed his in terms of strength.

Mechjic Platinum Cyber
ATK: 3000
Lvl.: 10

Mechjic Gold Cyber
ATK: 2800
Lvl.: 7

Mechjic Silver Cyber
ATK: 2500
Rnk.: 7

Yurik’s own monsters looked up towards the cyborg magicians, each one with a loyal and defensive flare in their eyes, looking as if they wouldn’t allow them to touch Yurik on their lives.

Twilight Alicorn
ATK: 2500
Lvl.: 7

Armored Unioncorn
ATK: 2100
Lvl.: 6

Allicorn Queen of Light
ATK: 2400
Rnk.: 4

Walt, Alice, Donald, and even Kieran were completely on edge as Yurik saw himself in a seemingly inescapable scenario. Twilight continued looking at Yurik with a scolding smile as he tried to find a counter strategy.

================
Yurik:
LP: 4000

Twilight:
LP: 3000
================

“This is the power of the deck you gave me,” Twilight told him. “And now you’re going to taste its raw fury.”

Almost on the drop of a hat, Yurik’s expression changed into determination that rivaled Twilight’s, completely surprising her.

“What’s this?” she asked.

“I activate the effect of Allicorn Queen of Light!” Yurik declared, removing a card from underneath his xyz monster and placing it in the graveyard slot. “By detaching one xyz material from this card, I can place one Swords Counter on one face-up monster you control, and I choose your Mechjic Platinum Cyber!”

“No way!” Twilight shouted.

One of the orbs circling Yurik’s monster fused with its horn, causing it to glow. With a loud whinny from the white alicorn, clouds appeared in the sky above Twilight’s metallic android. Swords made of light began to rain down with the blades pointed down and surround the monster, Twilight shielding herself fearfully as a few landed near her.

Swords Counters: 0 -> 1

“These Sword Counters only stay on a monster until your next end phase,” explained Yurik, “but any monster with a Swords Counter on it cannot declare an attack.”

“What did you say?!” Twilight shouted.

“And just like that,” Walt sighed with relief, “Yurik blocks her.”

“Even with all of that,” spoke Alice. “He still finds a way out.”

“Just like you,” Yurik shouted at Twilight, “I’m not done! I activate the effect of Allicorn Queen of Light once again.”

“Unbelievable!” exclaimed Twilight. “It can activate its effect twice in a single turn?”

Yurik slid the last card from underneath his monster as the last of the orbs flying around the alicorn merged with its horn.

“Now,” declared Yurik, “I place a Swords Counter on Mechjic Gold Cyber!”

With a glowing of Allicorn Queen of Light’s horn, more swords fell down from the cloud and gated the mechanical magician in.

Swords Counters: 0 -> 1

Twilight was stunned to see both of her monsters completely useless as they were now.

Even with all of those summons, Twilight mused, he still finds a way to easily protect himself. I knew I shouldn’t have underestimated him, but…

Twilight scowled, staring at Yurik’s weaker Armored Unioncorn.

…never again!

“Battle!” commanded Twilight. “Mechjic Silver Cyber, attack Yurik’s Armored Unioncorn! Aggressive Gust!”

The remaining sorcerer aimed its staff at the plated horse, a silvery whirlwind formed forming around the crystal getting bigger and bigger. The twister then spread out away from the staff towards Armored Unioncorn.

“Yurik!” shouted Alice through the glass.

As the tornado struck Yurik’s monster, the armored unicorn kept its ground as it refused to budge from its spot, seemingly unaffected by the spell.

“What’s going on?” she asked.

“Once per turn,” Yurik explained, “my Armored Unioncorn cannot be destroyed by battle, so my monster is safe.”

Twilight hissed in bemusement at the situation.

“Still,” she reminded him, “you take the battle damage.”

The strong gusts blew past Yurik’s monster and into him, making Yurik groan as he shielded his face, his clothes violently waving in the wind.

Yurik’s Life Points: 4000 -> 3600

Once the attack finished, Yurik took another calm and relieving breath, glad to have survived such a dangerous turn with minimal damage.

“Of course,” Yurik reminded Twilight, “your monsters will still be immobile during until your ‘next end phase.’”

“I realize,” Twilight grumbled. “But I’m still not going to quit; not by a long shot! I end my turn.”

Status: Hand: 1 Life: 3000 Monsters: 3 Pendulum Zones: 0 Pendulum Scale:Spells/Traps: 1

“So now what?” Donald wondered to himself aloud. “Yurik’s strongest monster is still weaker than Twilight’s weakest monster, and unless he wants those stall tactics of his to work, he better come up with a way of either summoning a stronger monster or strengthening the ones he has.”

“I know Yurik will come up with something,” responded Walt. “He usually does.”

“Usually is a far cry from always. All that matters is that ratio of failure.”

“And knowing him, it’s pretty small.”

“Walt,” Kieran stepped in, “Donald. Stop arguing at once. It is Yurik’s turn now. We shall see if he can come up with something here.”

Walt and Donald quieted themselves and turned back to the duel inside the arena. Alice kept a close watch on Yurik the whole time, her eyes slowly squinting as they expected much from him.

“Alright,” said Yurik. “Let’s bring these guys down a notch. My turn! Draw!”

With a whip out with his hand, Yurik glanced at his new card, adding it to his hand.

“I activate the effect of Armored Unioncorn,” Yurik declared. “Once per turn, I can equip this monster to a monster I control and have it gain 600 ATK.”

“Does that mean…” Twilight responded with a touch of anger.

“I equip my Armored Unioncorn to Twilight Alicorn!”

With a high leap and a loud whinny, Armored Unioncorn sent himself up into the air. To Donald and Alice’s surprise, the monster’s body glowed bright before fading away in a scattering of sparks, leaving its armor behind. The armor then flew over towards Twilight Alicorn, it now glowing bright as it set itself on top of it. The brightly lit armor shifted about so it could now fit onto Twilight Alicorn, dimming back down to reveal its newly steel-clad form.

ATK: 2500 -> 3100

“Now it’s stronger than Twilight’s strongest monster!” exclaimed Donald.

“Like I said,” Walt quipped, “pretty small.”

“Twilight Alicorn!” shouted Yurik. “Attack Mechjic Silver Cyber! Bright Burst Magic!”

Yurik’s monster launched its magenta beam from its horn at Twilight’s monster, striking it and causing it to explode. The smoke and flames blasted towards Twilight, making her shield herself as she too was blasted towards the next building behind her, yelping as she landed and slid down on her stomach on the floor.

Twilight’s Life Points: 3000 -> 2400

Twilight weakly stood to her feet while Yurik nodded in appreciation for her strength to continue the fight. Twilight, although her coat looked slightly dirty and ruffled, smiled at Yurik, making him grimace.

“I activate the effect of Mechjic Silver Cyber,” Twilight explained as a purple-and-black portal formed on the ground. “When this monster is destroyed while it has xyz material, I can special summon those monsters that were attached to this card as xyz material from the graveyard.”

“Whoa!” yelled Alice. “No way!”

“Come on back!” she shouted. “Mechjic Nitrogen! Mechjic Copper!”

Two light auras flew out from the portal, where they formed into Mechjic Nitrogen and Mechjic Copper and took their place on Twilight’s field, the latter kneeling and crossing its arms over its chest.

Mechjic Nitrogen
ATK: 2400
Lvl.: 7

Mechjic Copper
DEF: 2600
Lvl.: 7

Yurik bared his teeth slightly as Twilight’s field was strengthened.

“Next,” Twilight said, “the effect of my Mechjic Platinum Cyber activates. When a Mechjic monster I control is destroyed, I place one Chemic Counter on it.”

The top half of Mechjic Platinum Cyber’s chest began to glow as it flexed its torso out.

Chemic Counter: 0 -> 1

Yurik looked on Twilight’s field with absolute scrutiny.

The strongest monster that can attack right now is her Mechjic Nitrogen, Yurik planned. However, I know she isn’t going to let those monsters be on their own for long.

“I switch Allicorn Queen of Light into defense position,” Yurik spoke, turning the card on his zone 90° to the left.

As such, the white alicorn sunk to the shins of its forelegs, keeping its stance in its back legs.

ATK: 2400 -> DEF: 2000

Yurik then took one card from his hand and slid it face down inside the spell/trap slot of his duel disk, the enlarged backing appearing on the left of his other face down card.

“I place one card face down and end my turn,” he concluded.

Status: Hand: 2 Life: 3600 Monsters: 2 Pendulum Zones: 0 Pendulum Scale:Spells/Traps: 3

“Hmph,” Twilight chortled, “that was pretty good how you were able to destroy my xyz monster...”

Yurik frowned in response.

“…but, I still have plenty more for you to deal with. My turn! Draw!”

Twilight looked at the monster she drew, surprised to see what she had been given. She then turned back to Yurik with an excited smile on her face, making Yurik anxious once again.

“I activate the effect of my Mechjic Gold Cyber!” she began. “Once per turn, I can banish up to two Mechjic monsters in my graveyard or face-up in my extra deck equal to the number of monsters I would need to tribute in order to normal summon a monster, and then I can normal summon that monster without tributes.”

“Jesus,” Yurik rasped.

“I banish my Mechjic Helium and Mechjic Mercury in my extra deck to normal summon Mechjic Calcium!”

Twilight placed her monster on her final monster card zone, and on the empty space on Twilight’s field, another mechanical humanoid wizard appeared from a blue portal, its armor and robe dull, but extremely white.

Mechjic Calcium
ATK: 1500
Lvl.: 7

“Huh?” Walt shouted. “Three level 7 monsters?”

“What are you bringing out?” grumbled Yurik.

“I overlay my level seven Mechjic Nitrogen, Mechjic Copper, and Mechjic Calcium!” Twilight proclaimed as all three monsters transformed into auras that swirled about each other in spiral above a red portal before her field. “With these three monsters, I construct the overlay network! Xyz summon!”

As the three strands of light flew into the portal, another bright explosion emerged from it. Appearing from the light was a massive android with a dull-black armor that highly resembled coal.

“Appear! Mechjic Carbon Cyber!”

The monster held its arms out, the fingers on its hands all curled and aimed at Yurik.

Mechjic Carbon Cyber
ATK: 2200
Rnk.: 7

Yurik stood warily, yet confusedly at Twilight’s new monster.

“It took three level 7 monsters to summon it,” he pondered, “and that’s all the ATK it has?”

“Not quite,” Twilight answered, shocking Yurik. “There’s a reason his ATK starts off so low. Just like carbon, it takes patience and effort before its true value is realized.”

“You don’t mean…”

“I activate the effect of Mechjic Carbon Cyber,” she declared as she removed a card from underneath her monster and placed it in her graveyard. “Once per turn, I can detach one xyz material from this card, and when that happens, this card gains 1000 ATK.”

“1000, she said?” shouted Walt.

“That will make Twilight’s monster the strongest,” Donald concluded, “even with Twilight Alicorn’s ATK change.”

One of the three balls of light orbiting Twilight’s monster melded into its chest, making its whole body become encased with light. As the light continued to shine, Kieran looked oddly and impressed at Twilight as her horn began to glow. Yurik watched with awe as the light faded away, revealing the same monster, but with its black armor now a milky glass-like rock.

ATK: 2200 -> 3200

“Next,” said Twilight as she pulled a card with an “A” backing from her hand, which showed two black dragon silhouettes charging one another, “I activate the action card Duel or Die!”

Yurik was completely astounded by this, gasping loudly.

“An action card?” he shouted. “Where did you get that?”

“While you were looking at my monster’s transformation just now,” she said. “I found that action card at your feet.”

Yurik looked down, heavily surprised to find the action card once beneath him to have disappeared.

“I knew you’d just pick it up after you used the one you picked up, but I couldn’t let that happen, so now I activate its effect. This card switches a defense position monster on your side of the field into attack position, and then that monster and one other attack position monster I control must battle if able.”

“But that means...” spoke Yurik.

“Allicorn Queen of Light is changed into attack position!”

At once, Yurik’s white alicorn stood back to its feet, ready to attack against its will.

DEF: 2000 -> ATK: 2400

“Now,” Twilight shouted, “battle! Mechjic Carbon Cyber, attack Yurik’s Allicorn Queen of Light! Diamond Destruct!”

Twilight’s monster held its arm and open hand up, a sword made of diamond appearing inside it. Once it grabbed a hold, the cyborg charged Yurik’s monster.

“Sorry,” called Yurik, revealing an action card featuring a human silhouette juking out of the way of a blue ball, “but you just wasted it. I activate my own action card, Avoid! This card will negate your attack, protecting my monster!”

Allicorn Queen of Light unfurled its wings, ready to fly up and evade the attack.

“I’m not wasting anything,” Twilight responded. “I activate my counter trap, Mechjic Malfunct!”

Twilight’s set card flipped up revealing an android spellcaster running at a set card as it was struck by lightning from the end of its scepter.

“While I control an attack position Mechjic monster,” explained Twilight, “I can negate the activation of a spell or trap card you control and destroy it.”

“Oh no!” Yurik exclaimed.

Mechjic Gold Cyber, despite still being surrounded by Sword Counters, aimed its staff at the digital projection of Yurik’s action card and produced a bolt of lightning that struck the card, nullifying it.

Yurik glanced to the right, seeing another action card atop the building beside him, the two rooftops connected by a set of monkey bars. Yurik ignored it and ran to his roof’s edge.

“Hold on!” cried Yurik as he leapt over the street far below him.

Walt and Alice breathed heavily in as they saw Yurik jump, but were relieved upon his feet landing firmly on its edge, allowing him to continue his run to the action card. Twilight smirked as her horn glowed. Before Yurik could grab the card, a magenta aura covered the card before it was flew from his hand and away from him.

“No!” he shouted.

Yurik, knowing what had happened, continued his run to the next building, which was elevated by a story and connected via a plastic rope bridge. Yurik sprinted on it to the next building’s edge until he heard the frightened whinny of one of his monsters, making him turn around to see something that truly terrified him.

With scared eyes, Yurik saw as Twilight Alicorn and Allicorn Queen of Light flew for their lives towards Yurik from their original spot. Twilight’s Mechjic Carbon Cyber was right behind the latter, swinging its sword at it. The blade struck the alicorn, disintegrating it in a cloud of yellow sparkles that flew at Yurik.

“Allicorn Queen!” screamed Yurik.

The cloud of sparks flew into Yurik, knocking him off his feet and right beside the action card he was running for.

Yurik’s Life Points: 3600 -> 2800

Twilight added her newly acquired action card to her hand while Yurik rolled over and picked up his. Twilight frowned sadly for the loss of Yurik’s monster as he stood to his feet and looked at Twilight crossly.

“Yurik,” she spoke as she and her monsters flew up towards Yurik’s new spot, “if it’s any consolation, the action card I picked up wouldn’t have saved your monster, but I’ll activate it now. I activate the action card Speedy Swap.”

An enlarged version of the card appeared before Twilight, showing a silhouette of a hand with the backings of and action card and a normal card floating above the palm.

“When I activate this card,” Twilight said, “I draw one card.”

Twilight pulled a card from the top of her deck and looked at it before placing it into the spell/trap card zone.

“I place one card face down,” she said. “During this end phase, your sword counters are removed from my monsters, allowing them to attack next turn.”

At once, the swords of light surrounding Mechjic Gold Cyber and Mechjic Platinum Cyber faded away, freeing them from their bondage.

Sword Counters: 1 -> 0

Sword Counters: 1 -> 0

“I end my turn,” Twilight said with a relieved smile.

Status: Hand: 1 Life: 2400 Monsters: 3 Pendulum Zones: 0 Pendulum Scale:Spells/Traps: 1

“Damn,” Walt breathed. “If that monster continues to strengthen up, it will reach 5200 ATK.”

“Yurik has his work cut out for him,” remarked Kieran. “He still has his Twilight Alicorn and a decent number of spell and trap cards. His fight is far from finished, but he’ll have to use his cards wisely if he wants to survive.”

Walt turned back to Yurik as he faced Twilight on their battlefield.

“Yurik!” he yelled. “Don’t let her get to you! You can still do this!”

Yurik, seeing Walt from the corner of his eye banging the glass, looked back to his Twilight Alicorn, who nodded to him encouragingly.

“Come on!” Yurik shouted as he jogged up to his monster, who knelt down on all its fours as Yurik mounted it. “My turn! Draw!”

With a whip of his arm, Yurik added the card to his hand and grabbed onto his monster’s armor with his free hand. At once, Twilight Alicorn turned to the left and galloped off the building and spread its wings, flying out away from Twilight.

Undaunted, Twilight flapped her wings and soared out to follow Yurik and his monster, her three monsters following close behind. Feeling stable on the back of his steed, Yurik looked at his hand, noting the pendulum monster he had received.

“I place my scale 3 Unioncorn of Fire on the pendulum zone,” Yurik declared, putting the card onto the leftmost zone of his right blade.

Appearing far beside him and his monster in a bright blue burst was Yurik’s yellow unicorn with the mane and tail made of fire.

Unioncorn of Fire
Pendulum Scale: 3

Hmm, Twilight thought with an observant squint. Not yet…

Yurik gently tugged Twilight Alicorn’s mane to the left, who obediently u-turned to face Twilight and her monsters.

“I wouldn’t like to see what happens when that platinum monster gets any more Chemic Counters,” Yurik planned aloud, “and I think I can take my chances with your Gold Cyber! Twilight Alicorn, attack Mechjic Platinum Cyber! Bright Burst Magic!”

Twilight Alicorn charged Twilight’s monster as its horn glowed bright and the mechanical magician held its staff in front of itself defensively. The magenta beam blasted out of Twilight Alicorn’s horn, destroying Twilight’s monster as the debris and resulting explosion blew into Twilight, making her shout out again.

Twilight’s Life Points: 2400 -> 2300

Twilight soared out from the dust cloud with her two remaining monsters back towards Yurik, who quickly noted an extra card in her hand that she didn’t have previously, becoming even more perplexed when neither card in her hand had an “A” backing upon it.

“How did you draw an extra card?” he asked.

“You see,” Twilight explained, “you made a wise decision to destroy my Platinum Cyber, as its effect allows me to special summon a Mechjic monster from my deck by removing two Chemic Counters from it. However, when it’s destroyed by battle, I can draw one card for every Chemic Counter placed upon it.”

“Ah, I see. In that case, I end my turn.”

Status: Hand: 2 Life: 2800 Monsters: 1 Pendulum Zones: 1 Pendulum Scale:Spells/Traps: 3

Walt grimaced at Yurik’s seemingly desperate situation, Alice and Donald taking note.

“Walt,” Alice questioned, “what’s wrong?”

“Yurik’s situation is what’s wrong,” he responded. “All he has on his field now is his Twilight Alicorn, and all of her other monsters can attack now.”

“Don’t forget,” spoke Donald, “Yurik still has two face down cards at his disposal.”

“But do you think Twilight is going to let him use them?”

“Hey, I’m just trying to be optimistic. After all, he is your friend.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Walt asked angrily, standing up and facing him.

“Both of you,” Kieran scolded, “knock it off. Let us see how Yurik will be able to escape this one.”

The two of them, giving each other another hostile looks, finally looked back to the field where Twilight was just about to start her turn.

“My turn!” declared Twilight. “Draw!”

Twilight looked to her card as she solemnly closed her eyes.

“I’m sorry, Yurik,” she whispered. “I activate the effect of Mechjic Gold Cyber, banishing my Mechjic Platinum Cyber in my graveyard to normal summon Mechjic Neon without tributes!”

Twilight placed her card onto her monster card zone, and from the blue portal that appeared on her field, an android with glowing red armor and a glowing green robe carrying a glowing purple scepter.

Mechjic Neon
ATK: 2000
Lvl.: 5

Yurik breathed through his clenched teeth, knowing he’d be in a tough spot soon.

“Next,” continued Twilight, placing a card from underneath her xyz monster inside her graveyard slot, “I activate the effect of Mechjic Carbon Cyber, detaching one xyz material to increase its ATK by another 1000.”

The penultimate orb circling Twilight’s monster melded with its chest, making it glow brightly and then dim again, the plating of the monster now much clearer, allowing Yurik to see the machinery inside of it.

ATK: 3200 -> 4200

“Battle!” Twilight shouted. “Mechjic Carbon Cyber, attack Twilight Alicorn! Diamond Destruct!”

Twilight’s monster produced another sword from thin air, but with a winding of its arm, Mechjic Carbon Cyber tossed its sword at Yurik and Twilight Alicorn, the spinning blade locking on with its target.

“Dude!” Walt shouted, running up to and putting his hands on the glass.

“I activate the effect of Armored Unioncorn equipped to my Twilight Alicorn,” Yurik responded as the card ejected itself from the spell/trap zone, allowing Yurik to reveal it to Twilight. “When a monster equipped with this card would be destroyed, I can banish this card instead!”

Yurik threw the card into his graveyard slot, causing the armor on Twilight Alicorn’s body to morph into an ornate black shield that flew into the path of Mechjic Carbon Cyber’s blade.

“But you still take battle damage,” reminded Twilight.

The sword collided with the shield, producing an explosion that blew Twilight Alicorn and Yurik back, Yurik screaming as he lost his grip of his monster and fell towards the rooftops.

Yurik’s Life Points: 2800 -> 1700

“Yurik!” Alice and Walt shouted in unison.

Twilight Alicorn managed to catch Yurik as it too fell, wrapping its forelegs around him as they plummeted towards a particularly long roof. Yurik’s monster managed to maintain its fall and pull up from the ground.

“And now that your monster is no longer equipped,” continued Twilight, “your monster’s ATK goes back to its normal 2500.”

Twilight Alicorn’s body collided with the rooftop, forcing it to let Yurik go as they painfully rolled onto the roof.

ATK: 3100 -> 2500

“And now Mechjic Gold Cyber is stronger than Twilight Alicorn,” Donald commented. “This might prove difficult for Yurik.”

Yurik got to his knees to see an action card right in front of him, reaching out to grab it. A magenta aura encased it and pulled the card away from Yurik, making him look to his right. Twilight swooped down with her three monsters at Yurik and Twilight Alicorn’s spot on the roof, forcing the two of them to run to the opposite end. Twilight and her monsters landed hard on the roof, spraying dust and bits of rock around themselves. Yurik continued to run, seeing another action card before him.

“Mechjic Gold Cyber, attack Twilight Alicorn,” Twilight declared as the dust began to clear from around her and her monsters. “Amazing Updraft!”

Pointing its staff at the fleeing Twilight Alicorn, a golden colored twister shot out from the crystalline end and flew out towards it.

“I activate the action card: Miracle!” declared Yurik, holding the card behind him and revealing it as he ran, revealing a happy silhouetted human surrounded by stars. “This card prevents my monster’s destruction and reduces the battle damage by half!”

“Then I chain the action card, Spell Sniper,” she replied, making an enlarged spell card appear featuring a spell card in the crosshairs of a sniper’s lens. “This card allows me to negate the activation of a spell card during the battle phase and destroy it.”

“What!?”

A short beam of light shot out from Twilight’s enlarged action card and struck the card in Yurik’s hand, Yurik groaning at the sting from the force on his hand. Regardless, Yurik managed to bend over, pick the next action card up and add it to his hand, stopping and turning back towards Twilight with his lone monster. Looking at his new card, he grimaced, realizing that this card wouldn’t save his monster.

“The attack still continues,” spoke Twilight galloping up towards him. “Say goodbye to your monster, Yurik.”

Yurik watched as the golden gales came even closer, making him wince in fear.

“I activate the effect of my Twilight Alicorn!” cried Yurik. “Once per turn, I can place this monster into an unused pendulum zone of mine! Twilight Alicorn, hurry!”

Twilight Alicorn shone its horn bright and disappeared, making Twilight sport a reluctant scowl for what she would do next.

Twilight Alicorn
Pendulum Scale: 6

“I activate my counter trap, Swing Breaker!” she shouted, a trap card flipping up with art showing a newton’s cradle with the swinging end ball shattering as it went up. “When a pendulum monster is placed on the pendulum zone while another card exists in the other pendulum zone, I can target one card in either pendulum zone and destroy it!”

“No!” screamed Yurik. “Impossible!”

“The card I destroy is… Twilight Alicorn!”

Twilight Alicorn appeared onto the pendulum zone in a bright magenta bubble, only for its body to begin glowing. Yurik screamed loudly and Twilight Alicorn watched in horror as it grew brighter and brighter, and with a loud painful whinny, Twilight Alicorn burst into sparks fading away into nothingness.

“Huhu…” Yurik shuddered with watering eyes, his buckling legs forcing him to his hands and knees. “No…”

Twilight looked sternly and sympathetically at Yurik as he gently sobbed on the floor. Walt, Alice, Donald, and even Kieran had their mouths pursed open in pure amazement at what Twilight had managed to do.

“I’m sorry I had to do that, Yurik,” apologized Twilight, “but it had to be done. Your field is now empty, and my Mechjic Gold Cyber has yet to make its attack. Now,” she said with a slow blink, “let’s end this. Mechjic Gold Cyber, attack Yurik directly. Amazing Updraft.”

Twilight’s monster’s golden tornado shot and wound out towards Yurik, who still appeared paralyzed with sadness. Just as the gusts could connect, Yurik clenched his fists and teeth with his eyebrows slanted horrifyingly steep.

“I activate my trap!” Yurik shouted, shooting to his knees and pointing at one of his trap cards with this hand, “Sorcerer’s Salvation!”

The card featured a pink bubble with the shadowy figures of three magician-like monsters appearing behind it. From the balcony, all four humans leaned closer to the window, surprised by Yurik’s sudden energy.

“By banishing two spellcaster-type monsters in my graveyard,” explained Yurik, “I can negate your monster’s attack and end the battle phase.”

Twilight’s mouth went agape, shocked that the battle would still not be over.

“I banish my Unioncorn of Light and Allicorn Queen of Light in my graveyard!” he shouted.

At the moment before Mechjic Gold Cyber’s attack could strike, a pink, sparking bubble appeared inside the vortex of the tornado, which spread out and burst, making the twister dissipate. Twilight scowled as Yurik stood to his feet, no longer daunted by the loss of his monster. However, she did something that both surprised Yurik and herself: she gave a warm smile to Yurik.

“Good job, Yurik,” she said. “I knew you had it in you.”

Yurik’s serious frown too turned into a smile, happy by her friend’s accepting attitude.

“You know,” he responded. “This duel is getting pretty serious now.”

“I know!” she responded. “Isn’t it fun?”

“Huh?” Yurik responded, his frown returning. “How is this fun? We’re being tested right now, and I just lost my Twilight Alicorn. If I can’t even protect it, how will I–”

“Yurik,” chided Twilight with a light giggle, “sometimes, your monsters end up getting destroyed; its all part of dueling. All that matters is how you keep fighting with what you have.

“Besides, I’ve summoned two xyz monsters, a synchro monster, and a fusion monster, all in just a couple of turns. The fact that you’ve lasted this long, and even managed to destroy a couple monsters of my own, you shouldn’t have anything to worry about.”

Yurik gasped, touched by his friend’s compliments. He then looked at the two spell cards in his hand. As meager and nearly hopeless as it was, he looked back to Twilight with a confident expression, knowing he’d make her, himself, and those watching proud.

“I’ll do my best,” he said.

“Good,” Twilight cooed, setting a card in her spell/trap slot. “I place one card face down and end my turn.”

Status: Hand: 1 Life: 2300 Monsters: 3 Pendulum Zones: 0 Pendulum Scale:Spells/Traps: 1

Yurik looked at his deck, praying to it that it could deliver a miracle to him.

I have one last chance of achieving something here, Yurik accounted. Unless I can draw my Unioncorn of Water here, or something equally as good, I’m finished.

“Here I go,” shouted Yurik. “Watch me! My turn! Draw!”

Yurik whipped his card out, and added it to his hand. Yurik stared at his card for what felt like an eternity as Twilight, Walt, Alice, Donald, and Kieran awaited to see what he drew. With a smile, Yurik tilted his head up and looked to Twilight.

“I end my turn,” he decided.

Status: Hand: 3 Life: 1700 Monsters: 0 Pendulum Zones: 1 Pendulum Scale:Spells/Traps: 1

Twilight’s mouth dropped open, astounded by Yurik’s declaration. Inside the balcony, the others were on the edge of their seats, wondering what Yurik could be thinking.

“Is that it?” she asked. “Are you giving up?”

“You heard me,” responded Yurik. “I end my turn.”

Twilight gasped again, reading the situation clearly.

I get it, she thought. This is just like his duel with Walt and how he summoned Kuripony. But he can’t now; he doesn’t have a single monster on his field. So what do you have, Yurik?

“I’m not taking any chances!” she exclaimed, her magic aura appearing over her deck. “My turn! Draw!”

Twilight didn’t even wait to see the card before she added it to her hand, already reaching for the only monster she had left.

“I normal summon the tuner monster Mechjic Radium without tributes!” she declared, placing her monster one of the two available monster zones.

Appearing beside Twilight’s monsters was a glowing green android with a matching glowing robe, floating in the air just above the ground.

Mechjic Radium
ATK: 1000
Lvl.: 5

“When Mechjic Radium is normal summoned without tributes,” Twilight said, “I must decrease this card’s level by any value between 1 and 4, and so I’ll reduce its level by 4!”

A counter appeared next to the green cyborg, showing its original level as it began to revert.

Lvl.: 5 -> 1

“Next,” continued Twilight, removing the third card from underneath her xyz monster, “I activate the effect of my Mechjic Carbon Cyber, detaching its last xyz material to raise its ATK by 1000 once more!”

The last of the orbs surrounding Twilight’s monsters merged with its chest, and as the light spread throughout its body, it quickly faded away to reveal that the armor on Twilight’s monster was now cut expertly like a fine jewel.

ATK: 4200 -> 5200

“Also,” Twilight mentioned, “if there are no xyz materials attached to this monster, it cannot be destroyed by battle or card effects.”

“What was that?!” Yurik exclaimed.

“But first, I will tune my level 5 Mechjic Neon with my level 1 Mechjic Radium!”

Mechjic Radium transformed into a bright blue star that flew up high, where it became a green glowing ring that descended down upon Mechjic Neon, changing its form to its orange outline with five stars line up inside its body. A small beam of light shone down into Mechjic Neon’s outline before the beam spread out to the outer edge of the green ring.

“Synchro summon!” she chanted. “Appear! Mechjic Iron Cyber!”

The beam faded away to reveal a robotic sorcerer in shining, spotless armor, a shining robe with white lining, and a steel scepter.

Mechjic Iron Cyber
ATK: 2600
Lvl.: 6

“This card also cannot be destroyed by battle through its effect,” reported Twilight, “not that it matters.”

“I wonder why it would too,” replied Yurik. “After all, you already had two strong monsters at your disposal. Not sure why you need a third.”

“Because I’m not going to fall for that. I saw how you managed to stay afloat with your Kuripony, but I’m making sure that you can’t try and trip me up with a similar tactic.”

Yurik smirked, impressed by Twilight’s intuition.

Smart cookie, he thought.

“Let’s end this!” Twilight commanded. “Battle! Mechjic Iron Cyber, attack Yurik directly! Full Energy!”

Standing still on Twilight’s field, Mechjic Iron Cyber threw an impressive punch toward Yurik, a shadowy figure of its arm flying out towards Yurik, who smirked at her attempt to win the duel. With a quick whip of his hand from his hand and back onto his blade, he placed a monster facing left on one of his monster zones.

“I special summon Mirror Pony with its effect!” he called out.

The pony that appeared onto the field from the blue portal was completely smooth and metallic, its mane and tail made from very fine wires that resembled hair.

Mirror Pony
DEF: 0
Lvl.: 4

“When my opponent declares a direct attack,” clarified Yurik, “I can special summon this card from my hand. Then I can destroy the attacking monster.”

“Huh?” honked Twilight.

“And your monster only protects itself from destruction via battle, not by card effects, so it now goes bye-bye!”

“No way!”

The phantom fist of Mechjic Iron Cyber collided against Mirror Pony, which suddenly flew out in the opposite direction from Mirror Pony’s chest towards Twilight’s monster, hitting it and blasting it away in a collection of yellow sparkles.

“Not like you can do that again!” Twilight shouted. “Mechjic Gold Cyber! Attack Mirror Pony! Amazing Gust!”

Pointing its scepter at the metal horse, a gold tornado flew from the crystal and covered it, where it too faded into sparks with a loud cry. Yurik shielded himself from the ones that flew towards his face.

“This is it!” yelled Twilight. “Mechjic Carbon Cyber, attack Yurik directly! Diamond Destruct!”

The android’s sword appeared it the monsters outstretched hand, and with a wind back and a massive step forwards, it struck the sword’s blade at the ground just at Yurik’s feet, producing a tall cloud of dust as the ground beneath Yurik caved in.

“Yurik!” Walt shouted.

Twilight flew up and peered into the hole as best as she could with the thickness of the dust. Unable to find Yurik anywhere, she bit her lip in a guilty panic. Alice and Walt looked nervously on, unsure of the fate of their friend.

It was then that they heard grunting coming from the edge of the roof, only to see Yurik hoist his torso up over the building’s edge and balance himself on, crouching to ease the soreness his body felt all over.

Yurik’s Life Points: 100

“What?” Twilight wondered. “How did you survive that attack? My monster had much higher ATK!”

“Yeah,” confirmed Yurik, as he walked the edge of the building with the drop into the streets and the hole in the roof on both sides of him, “you’re right. However, I may have activated a few cards that saved my ass.”

“How’s that?”

“First,” he stated, jumping back to the non-broken floor and pointing at an open space on his field, revealing a trap card, “I activated my trap, M. Brace, halving my battle damage when my opponent declares a direct attack.

“Next,” he further explained, pointing at a space next to the trap card where a spell card appeared with a glowing human silhouette with its arms over its chest, “I chained my action card, Pinch Healer, which increased my life points by 1000 before the attack hit me, bringing me to 2700.”

Twilight’s eyes and mouth widened open, understanding it.

“Your monster was at 5200,” concluded Yurik. “This means that half of that damage was only 2600, leaving me 100 to spare.”

“Just like when you dueled Kieran,” she mused aloud.

“Yes. And much like with Kieran, I survived more turns than I probably ought ta’ have.”

“Well, you survived yet another turn from me, but I’m still not going to make it any easier for you.”

Yurik perked his head up, unsure what Twilight meant by this.

“I activate my continuous trap, Mechjic Reflect!”

A purple card flipped up before Twilight, showing Mechjic Carbon Cyber’s full-diamond form protected by a human-shaped aura.

“With this card,” she clarified, “I can target one Mechjic Monster I control and have it become unaffected by my opponent’s card effects, and the one I choose is Mechjic Carbon Cyber!”

A translucent sheet appeared before Twilight’s monster and wrapped itself around it, melding and bending to perfectly fit in the contours of the monster’s body, increasing its sheen.

I see, Yurik devised. Now that monster of hers is completely invincible with that card of hers. Not that it matters…

Yurik looked at the lone spell card in his hand, contemplating his strategy.

Whether she used that card on either her Gold or Carbon Cyber, the strategy I need next turn will defeat her regardless.

Twilight, feeling confident with her field, showed the backing of her hand’s final card before she slipped it into the spell and trap card zone.

“I place one card face down and end my turn,” she finished.

Status: Hand: 0 Life: 2300 Monsters: 2 Pendulum Zones: 0 Pendulum Scale:Spells/Traps: 2

Walt clasped his hands together and placed them over his mouth, intently watching Yurik as he would make his undoubtedly final move.

“Come on, Yurik,” Alice sighed.

Kieran and Donald watched with intensity, finding their blood pumping as the duel reached its conclusion.

“So,” Yurik spoke, “this is my last shot, huh?”

“It is,” agreed Twilight. “I’ll be sure of it.”

“Really, now? You’re that confident.”

“My deck hasn’t exactly failed me thus far. I want to see if your deck will honor you all the same.”

“I see. It usually hasn’t but…”

Yurik looked to the deck in his slot, placing his fingers on his deck.

“…I guess we’ll find out. My turn! Draw!”

“I activate my trap:” Twilight quickly announced, “Mechjic Ultimatum!”

Yurik jerked his head in shock on Twilight’s words.

“During this turn,” explained Twilight, “you must declare an attack this turn or take 1000 points of damage. That,” she added, “or find some other way to take down my remaining 2300 life points.”

Then I really have no choice, Yurik realized. All that’s left is…

Yurik glanced up at the card he drew, his eyes widening at his unbelievable luck.

“That’s fine with me,” Yurik called back, “because you’re going to lose this duel anyways!”

Twilight gasped at this insane statement, but kept her smile up, seeing if his words would hold true.

“I place Unioncorn of Water in my last pendulum zone,” he declared, placing the card on the rightmost zone of his left blade.

Arising from the ground from a small pool of water that formed on the right side of Yurik’s field was a blue, furless horse with a kelpy mane and tail, as well as a long, spiraling seashell for a horn.

Unioncorn of Water
Pendulum Scale: 4

At that moment, two blue pillars formed where Unioncorn of Fire and Unioncorn of Water stood, a 3 and a 4 appearing over both monsters respectfully.

“I don’t understand!” spoke Twilight. “There are no numbers between three and four. You cannot pendulum summon with those monsters.”

“Not yet I can’t.”

“Not yet?”

“I activate the effect of Unioncorn of Water! By negating the effect of a FIRE attribute monster in my other pendulum zone, I can double Unioncorn of Water’s pendulum scale!”

“What?”

Another pool of water formed beneath Unioncorn of Fire, its legs buckling weakly as its mane and tail were extinguished, leaving only short, burnt bases of hair. Meanwhile, Unioncorn of Water began to shine with a blue aura as the pointed star appeared in the sky.

Pendulum Scale: 4 -> 8

“Unbelievable,” muttered Twilight.

“With that,” declared Yurik, “I can special summon monsters from my hand or face-up in my extra deck whose levels are four through seven!”

Yurik’s Twilight Alicorn card ejected itself from the front slot of Yurik’s blade disk, which Yurik grabbed with a winding out with his right arm.

“Pendulum summon!” he exclaimed, placing his monster back onto his monster zone. “Come back to me, Twilight Alicorn!”

A beam of magenta light soared down from the red portal that opened up, and once it struck the ground, Twilight Alicorn’s wings blew the smoke and dirt away, facing Twilight’s monsters with an urge to battle.

Twilight Alicorn
ATK: 2500
Lvl.: 7

“Since Unioncorn of Fire’s effect is negated,” Yurik told Twilight, “its effect to inflict damage to you can’t be activated, but Unioncorn of Water’s effect still activates. When I pendulum summon monsters, this card increases my life points by the total levels of pendulum monsters pendulum summoned to my side of the field times 100. Twilight Alicorn is level seven, so I gain 700 life points.”

A strand of water flew out of Unioncorn of Water’s horn an swirled towards Yurik, spiraling around him as Yurik felt the damp, cool sensation on his body.

Yurik’s Life Points: 100 -> 800

“Next,” Yurik continued, “I activate the effect of Twilight Alicorn, special summoning two monsters from my pendulum zones to my side of the field. Summon Shine!”

Twilight Alicorn’s horn glowed bright with magenta as Yurik’s pendulum monsters glowed similarly as well.

“Let’s go!” called Yurik. “Unioncorn of Fire, Unioncorn of Water!”

With a pop from their positions as well as two more pops beside Twilight Alicorn, both Unioncorn of Fire and Unioncorn of Water were on the field.

Unioncorn of Fire
ATK: 1600
Lvl.: 4

Unioncorn of Water
ATK: 1500
Lvl.: 4

“A WATER and a FIRE attribute monster?” Twilight suspected. “That can only mean…”

“I now overlay my level four Unioncorn of Fire and Unioncorn of Water!” exclaimed Yurik.

The two monsters became a red and blue beam that spiraled about around each other as a red portal opened up on the ground.

“With these two monsters,” Yurik declared, “I construct the overlay network! Xyz summon!”

Once the two beams flew into the portal, the wet, red alicorn with the mane, tail, and wings made of vapor, as well as two light orbs around it, flew out of the portal and soared around the building freely.

“Come on!” called Yurik. “Allicorn of Steam!”

The monster flew back up and landed right beside Twilight Alicorn, both monsters poised and prepared to fight.

Allicorn of Steam
ATK: 1900
Rnk.: 4

“Next,” spoke Yurik, removing a card from under his xyz monster, “I activate Allicorn of Steam’s effect! By detaching one xyz material, I can halve the ATK of a monster on the field and increase its owner’s life points by the amount of ATK lost, but first…”

Twilight seized up as she watched Yurik reach for the last card in his hand.

“I activate my quick-play spell card Sheer Scald!” he continued, revealing a spell card with a massive explosion of steam surrounding Allicorn of Steam in the center. “When I activate my Allicorn of Steam’s effect, this card changes the effect of increasing the afflicted monster’s owner’s life points by the monster’s lost ATK and instead inflicts damage equal to that amount!”

“What did you say?” she shouted.

“I’ll use the effect on your Mechjic Gold Cyber! Go! Sheer Scald!”

One of Allicorn of Steam’s orbs of light melded with its horn, and with a whip of its head, the alicorn shot a mighty blast of steam at Twilight’s monster, hitting it firmly in the chest.

ATK: 2800 -> 1400

The steam passed around Twilight’s monster and struck Twilight with equal intensity, forcing her back as she grunted excruciatingly to the intense heat.

Twilight’s Life Points: 2300 -> 900

“That’s it!” Yurik cheered. “Now, Twilight Alicorn, attack Mechjic Gold Cyber and finish Twilight off! Bright Burst Magic!”

Twilight Alicorn charged its horn and shot its beam at Twilight’s monster, exploding it as the beam shot through the monster’s chest. The beam continued on as it blasted through Twilight, Twilight’s screams of pain replaced by the odd feeling she had felt earlier in the duel.

A blue, starry candle with a white flame–

Twilight landed on her back, too stunned by the vision to grunt as her back landed on the ground and slid backwards.

Twilight’s Life Points: 900 -> 0

Yurik wins

Yurik smiled proudly at his victory while the others in the balcony looked at Twilight with nervousness as she didn’t move a muscle from her spot. Yurik, spotting this, instantly contorted his face in fright as he ran over to her, his breaths shuddering with each step.

“Twilight!” he screamed. “Twilight!”

Sliding to his knees, he scooped Twilight into his arms and gently shook her.

“Hey,” he croaked, feeling more nervous by the minute. “Are you okay?”

With a few more shakes, Twilight blinked twice and looked at Yurik, suddenly feeling his arms around her back and seeing Twilight Alicorn approaching them from behind Yurik.

“Huh?” she queried. “What’s going on?”

“Twilight!” Yurik sighed, hugging her tight. “Please don’t scare me like that again!”

Twilight, still confused about her two visions, couldn’t focus on Yurik’s comforting embrace or the field around them as it began to fade away. She did look at Twilight Alicorn as it gave her an approving nod before it faded away along with many of the other buildings.

As the building holding Yurik and Twilight began to lower itself to the arena’s floor, Kieran eyed Twilight with a sense of uncertainty and enigma.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Inside the Guardiaboliques lounge, Kieran, Yurik, Walt, Alice, and Donald surrounded a slightly embarrassed Twilight in a semicircle on the couches, the others looking sympathetically at her.

“And that’s all you saw at those times?” Kieran interrogated.

“Yes,” answered Twilight, “but I don’t understand. Not only do I fail to see the connection between the cave and the candle, I don’t know why being attacked by Twilight Alicorn triggered the visions. Stranger still is that I was attacked two other times by Twilight Alicorn and I didn’t have a single vision.”

“Yes,” agreed Donald, “but upon further speculations, I happened to notice a slight pattern in the appearance of your visions.”

“And what’s that?” asked Walt.

“When she was first attacked by Twilight Alicorn,” he responded, “she had lost 600 life points. Now, the other two times, she lost another 600 and then only 100. It wasn’t until she took an even higher amount of 1100, which was the amount you would have lost had you had more life points, that she experienced another vision.

“My guess is that the visions appear if Twilight takes battle damage involving Yurik’s monster and takes higher and higher amounts of damage. Regardless of this pattern, the fact that she experiences these visions at all because of that card is very troubling.”

“I’m sorry,” Yurik butted in. “I don’t know why my card continues doing things like this.”

“Perhaps it’s a message from your father,” Kieran guessed. “You claim that this card was a gift from your father, but his whereabouts are unknown. This only raises my suspicions that your father has some knowledge of all that’s happened in these past twenty-four hours.”

Yurik gulped at Kieran’s accusations, which Kieran instantly noticed.

“However,” he added, “they are only just suspicions and nothing more. It’s merely my intuition. What’s more, is that we have no idea whether these visions are an omen or even a great prophecy. Perhaps your father entrusted that card to you because he knew you could properly use its powers.”

Yurik smiled, feeling more at ease with this scenario.

“But again,” Yurik responded, his high decreasing, “it’s only your speculations.”

“Correct. Until we can actually find your father, our guessing is only that. All we can do is piece this puzzle ourselves with what we’re given.”

“Hey!” Alice blurted out, wrapping her arm around Yurik’s neck. “Change of subject! Yurik, you did really great back there!”

Twilight, coming to terms with the mystery set before her, was happy for Alice’s distraction, smiling warmly up at the two of them.

“Yes,” she agreed, “you were incredible, Yurik. Thanks to that duel, I feel much more confident about finding my friends.”

“Speaking of,” Walt interrupted, “any news on where Twilight’s friends are?”

“As a matter of fact,” Kieran said, turning on the television behind Twilight with a remote, “this was the other reason I brought you here today.”

Donald also began fidgeting with his tablet, the display on his screen appearing on the TV, displaying a map of the United States with a sky-blue circle around the peninsula of Florida.

“Dude,” Walt gasped, realizing where the place was.

Zooming the map on his tablet, Donald produced a satellite view of a series of amusement parks along the area of the screen on the television.

“One of them wound up in Disney World?” exclaimed Walt.

“Not quite,” answered Kieran pointing to the screen. “News reports say that a blue beam from the planet Equus crashed just outside Disney World in Orlando, Florida. However, it’s here that we found the first reported sightings of the pony that crashed here.”

“What do they say?” asked Twilight.

“Nearby claimed that the pony they saw roaming around was… pink.”

“Pink? That must be Pinkie Pie!”

“Yes, quite. Our team has been sorting through every kind of social media posting relating to this pony, as well as early online local magazine and newspaper articles to pinpoint when and where these sightings have taken place. That way, we can read an approximate pattern from these sightings and intercept your friend ourselves once we get a more concrete idea.”

“Wow, that’s actually pretty smart of you guys.”

“Thank you,” Donald said with an insincere bow.

“But what about her other friends?” asked Yurik. “Aren’t you doing the same for them?”

“There’s a major problem about this,” Kieran said. “This Pinkie Pie, other than Twilight here, is the only other pony who’s found their way to Earth by ending up in America; the others having been reported as crashing onto foreign countries.

“As well as employing the same methods as we are for Pinkie Pie, we still need to translate their tweets, Facebook posts, whatever we can find, but even then, searching for their accounts and posts aren’t as simple there as it is here. All we can tell you is to trust us and be patient. Can you do that for us, Yurik?”

“Of course I can!”

“Then until we solve the pattern of the one known as Pinkie Pie, I see no reason as for you to stay. Yurik, Walt, Alice, Twilight, the four of you are dismissed. Enjoy the rest of your evening.”

Kieran stepped out of the room and closed the door, leaving Yurik and his friends to their own devices. Twilight her mouth formed in a serious line, nodded posthumously to Kieran, acknowledging the effort and care he was putting into the search for her friends.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Alice drove down the highway in her van towards home while Walt leaned his head against the window, sleeping soundly with his arms crossed together. Yurik and Twilight both sat together on the van’s floor, Yurik gently petting Twilight’s mane and neck as she stared down at the ground, where four duel disks were set.

“Yurik,” Twilight softly spoke, “I’m sorry for destroying your Twilight Alicorn during that duel.”

“Huh?” Yurik questioned, taken slightly aback by her apology. “Twilight, you shouldn’t apologize. You were right back then. My monsters will get destroyed eventually when I duel, and I shouldn’t be so wrapped up in it.”

“I mean, I shouldn’t have been so callous about it. I know how much your cards mean to you, but I think that’s what makes you such a good duelist… and a great friend.”

Yurik turned his head to Twilight, wondering what she would say to back this claim up.

“The fact that you care so much for protecting your monsters as if they were your own family, it must hurt seeing one of them go like that. I also feel that you think the same way with Walt and Alice, because they, along with your deck, they are your family, aren’t they?”

Yurik glanced at the deck on his duel disk on the floor of the van.

“It’s the closest thing to a real family I have at all,” he admitted with a fond smile.

Twilight looked up to Yurik with shimmering eyes, her guess confirmed.

“So…” she said, “it’s true.”

“What’s true?” he replied, suddenly looking slightly suspicious.

“That you’re an orphan.”

Yurik sat up, slightly off put that she came to such a conclusion.

“How do you–”

“Like I said this morning,” she enlightened, “I noticed that both of you have different last names, and yet you live in the same house as Walt and his family. Now that you say what you just said about Walt and his family being the closest thing to a family that you have, that must mean that your real family is… somewhere else, right?”

Yurik sighed as he leaned back and folded his hands behind his head, resting the back of the head on them and the side of the van.

“My dad isn’t dead, you know,” he joked. “How else could he have given me that card?”

“But why?” she prodded. “Why aren’t you living with him?”

“Well, you see, my dad is actually part of an ongoing world-traveling anti-violence movement. He didn’t want me to grow up moving from hostile country to hostile country my whole life, so when I was born, he moved me here to Naperville, someplace where I could live a nice, comfortable life. At least, that’s what mom– well, Walt’s mom tells me.”

“What about your mom? Is she dead?”

“You know? I never knew about her, nor was I never told. I always just considered Walt’s mom my mom, and I’m okay with that, because I know I have a dad, and I know I have a mom.”

“Do Walt and his sister have a dad?”

“Yeah…” said Yurik with a more somber tone, “but we tend not to talk about him.”

“Oh…” she responded, getting the hint. “I’ll stop there.”

“I understand,” he replied, sitting back up. “It’s natural for you to want to get to know me and Walt. I don’t want to sound presumptuous, but as of now, we’re all you have until we find the rest of your friends, right?”

“Right… Even with the Guardiaboliques helping us, I still feel nervous for my friends from home…”

Twilight felt tears form in her eyes until a hand laid itself on her back.

“You shouldn’t be,” Yurik said. “In all honesty, I’m worried for their sake too, but after seeing the way you fought today, I’m confident that there’s no force that can stop us now.”

Twilight looked up and smiled at Yurik.

“Thank you, Yurik,” she whispered. “I know I can count on you all.”

Yurik continued to pet Twilight’s coat as she settled back down to her stomach. Yurik looked back at his and Twilight’s duel disks on the ground near Yurik’s feet.

We will save them all, Yurik settled. This I swear on my life…

Yurik turned to the windshield of Alice’s van, looking out for any familiar landmarks that would let him know how much closer to home they would be.

Author's Note:

Featured Card:

Mechjic Carbon Cyber
LIGHT
Rank: 7
Spellcaster/Xyz/Effect

3 Level 7 "Mechjic" monsters

Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; this card gains 1000 ATK. While this card has no Xyz Materials, it cannot be destroyed by battle or card effects.

ATK: 2200
DEF: 3500

PreviousChapters Next