• Published 18th Apr 2014
  • 789 Views, 8 Comments

Routine - Princess Glitzy



Every Thursday, a single pony sits at the spa and waits. And then, she leaves.

  • ...
0
 8
 789

Chapter 1

I stand in a very familiar spot. Its every detail is burned into my brain. I do not need to look to know that there are roses, growing untamed, within those bushes. The gentle sway of the sign produces a comforting sound that I search for each time I visit. The colors have grown dim, but when I close my eyes, I see the vibrant pinks and purples.

Ahead of me lay Ponyville Spa. Few ponies remember it having that title, but I doubt I could ever forget. For a few seconds, I don't dare move, nor breathe. All is still and silent. Then, my hoof raises ever so slightly and the lightest of knocks lands upon the door. I know this is not needed, but it is what I have always done and will continue to do.

After shakily pushing the door knob, it creaks open. The lights are off, as they always are. I take a breath and then tap the lights to get the fireflies buzzing again. My eyes remain closed. I rely on my senses. I am confident, for nothing about this place can surprise me anymore.

Though I know I will be fine, I open my eyes. There's no use trying to stop the inevitable. I see the floor, first. A loose nail sits a few inches to my right. It's so small and pointless, yet it draws my eye. I pull myself away and make the decision to finally take the plunge and look up. I observe my surroundings for a moment and then return my gaze to the floor. My hooves move without a thought towards the old, green couch.

How silly of me? That couch is light spring green. She would've known right away. A lump forms in my throat. I sit down gracefully, always gracefully, like a lady should. I choke down whatever is in my throat and then smile the smallest hint of a smile. My smile should've been there before, like it should've been when she was around. She always smiled and she had the most beautiful smile.

A magazine soon finds itself clutched tightly within my hooves, anything to take my mind off of… I scan each page. I read it last time and many times before then, but it was what we had read that day. These styles have come and gone already and it is a rare instance to see anypony sporting this line these days. Times have changed and today isn't at all like the days of yesterday, something I hate to believe, but can't refuse.

I am still here, though, as I am every week. I sit upon the same couch and stare at the same walls. The paint is peeling, the tiles are cracked and the water has long since evaporated, leaving without a trace. But, I remember the two ponies who took pride in this dilapidated building. They were so kind. I remember. That's why she loved it here so much. And that's why I continue. That why I'm holding on to the memories of this spot, the spot where we once stood.

Tears prick the corners of my eyes. Allergies. Why is it that I always get these allergic reactions in here? It didn't bother me before, when I was young. Maybe it's just another one of those things that happens to old ponies like me. That's probably it. All those years of being with animals could've done it, but I would never trade them for the world. Suddenly, she fills my mind again.

I stand, paralyzed, for a time. I am just alone with my thoughts, which are racing a million miles an hour. Invisible demons attack my spine, inflicting the ghost of pain. My mouth goes dry, as I force my eyes closed. In the haze, I receive some slight clarity and take advantage.

I run to the soap closet and throw it open, grabbing the nearest one and ripping off the lid. Warm vanilla breaks through the momentary shock and a smile once again finds itself upon my muzzle. It hurts, though, and I shake slightly as I stand. I breathe in and out, relishing in my newfound freedom.

These "attacks" have been happening more frequently. Each time, they come with more gumption, throwing me off guard and targeting the recesses of my mind. I've thought about asking Dr. Stable, but I'm afraid of what he might say. He would ask questions. I don't know if I can bear to tell him the answers.

A chill envelops me. The air leaves my lungs. I heave and my throat constricts. The floor falls out below me and I collapse. I scream, begging for air. A heavy weight sits upon my chest. My wails fill the air. All around me is dark as I fall deeper. Then, the room stops spinning and I sit, alone, my soft whimpers and I'm left alone.

With incredible intensity, a whirlwind of thoughts fill my mind. My inner struggles threaten to break me then and there. The hardships of my exterior bring me the same immeasurable pain. I can't tell if the screams plaguing my ears are mine, or if they belong to another. Whimpers, bringing forth the same question, drive me mad with a sadness filled with the grief of a lifetime. The idea of some type of being, whether they be a pony or otherwise, in my viscidity and seeing me in this state scare me more than I thought anything could.

An unexpected light shines abruptly. Sunlight breaks through the shadow. I'm awash with joy, coming in just as swiftly and leaving in a fleeting instant. A figure appears. The wind around me picks up and I hear its song with each burst. Hello, darling. It whispers into my ear, as it echoes. The words blur together and I just hear the sound, leaving me to wonder if I ever heard them at all.

Brighter, the light glows and the pony, as I now know it to be, moves closer. There, she stands. Though years have separated us, I know it is her. She comes closer. She's the picture of elegance without even needing to try. Her eyes, as blue as the deepest ocean, stare into my soul, piercing my heart with her angelic ferocity. The purest of smiles graces her lips and I know that it's aimed towards me.

My breath leaves me. My heart pounds and I fear it may burst, though it is the least of my concerns. I sit breathless, unable to move, to speak. Closer, she comes, at a painstaking rate. It's as though she's getting farther and each time I think she will reach me, she falls back again.

Then, as if a true miracle is given to me, she reaches out to touch me. In the light, I now see that she is glowing, ever lightly. She is truly magnificent. Her hoof pauses, inches from my face, and I'm sure she can feel my breath against it. She leans in and plants the lightest of kisses upon my forehead. Within my mind, I hear her voice. Goodbye.

All at once, she is gone and I once again am left standing in the spa. I quiver in fear, in happiness, in all that one can feel.Was that her? Tears pour down my cheeks, as I try to comprehend what has occurred. I've gone crazy. Silence fills the room. Everything is as it was. Nothing's changed. I'm still alone. My eyes search, desperate to see her, if even just for a single second. I am given nothing for my brief efforts.

I vaguely recall how to breathe, as I finally let go of my insistent sorrows in a quick burst. At least, this is what I tell myself. I will go see the doctor tomorrow. He'll know what to do. Suddenly, my ears perk up and I hear a scream. "Fluttershy!" My name is called. Hope fills me. I rush to the door. Twilight stands there, eyes filled with fear. My heart sinks and a fake smile is plastered on my face. "I was wondering where you were! We were waiting for you. Come on!" For a moment, I don't make a move and I stare blindly.

She seems to notice my mind's absence and my abnormal stillness. "Are you okay? Did anything happen? You look like you've seen a ghost." A tear rolls down my cheek. I quickly wipe it away.

"No, nothing. Let's go."

Author's Note:

I feel like the description to this story is just like another, but I like that I kept you in the dark at first. Also, I tried to make this all deep and poetic. I probably failed miserably. I'll probably add some more to this at some point because I really like the idea, but I didn't write enough. I will write more and edit this, so just be patient.

EDIT: I added some more. I just expanded a bit. I didn't make a huge impact. I did scratch the surface, though, so at least it's evolving into a better story.

P.S. I wrote this story while listening to this song.

Comments ( 8 )

So close...

Is fluttershy talking about rarity?
This story needs some clarity.

You say you failed miserably, I say you captured the essence of sadness though words. My favorite part was being in the dark almost the entire time.:twilightsmile: It was beautiful... Thank you, Firebrace out!

Login or register to comment