• Published 23rd Apr 2014
  • 1,924 Views, 33 Comments

The Pie Family - Grey Faerie

  • ...
6
 33
 1,924

Baby Clothes

"Blegh, cough, uhh." The sound of throwing up could be heard from inside the bathroom. Fluttershy shuffled in place outside the door. The hallway of Sugarcube Corner echoed with the dull sound of customers below the floor.

"Pinkie, the mall isn't going to stay open forever." She called out. She had to wait for the sounds to stop for Pinkie to respond.

"I know that! You think I like doing this?" Pinkie huffed. She flushed the toilet and went over to the sink. She gargled some water and spit. Pinkie looked at herself in the mirror. She was huge. She was tired. And her hair had been deflated for a long while now. She shook her head, or would have, if it wasn't still sick feeling.

Pinkie opened the door. Fluttershy smiled at her. She was wearing a floral bandana to hold her long hair back. It had been like that for a few years now. Pinkie really like it that way. She looked older and more motherly. Her own stomach was expanded as well. She was two months behind Pinkie.

"Are you ready?"

"Yeah, I think so."

Pinkie hated waddling. She thought of this as she waddled down the stairs and waddled out the door. The swaying gait her step made her feel even bigger than she already was. It was a bright sunny day. The kind of day that normally she would love but now, she just wanted to stay home and curl up on her bed. She and Fluttershy walked through town to the open air mall down the street from the food market. Fluttershy waved at Applejack who was manning her cart. She happily waved back.

Pinkie used to love taking walks. It was a chance to saying hi to everypony and ask how everything's going. Now they seem to avoid her. She sighed. Fluttershy looked worriedly at her so she smiled. It faded as soon as Flutters looked away to wave at AJ. Fluttershy and Pinkie were out buying baby clothes today. They were far enough along to start needing to stock up.

She perked up once the clothes store came into view. She gave a half smile at the name, The Waddling Ling. It was a play on suckling, weanling and yearling. Pinkie ginned fully as she entered the store.

The baby store was so cute! The light peach walls had shelves of items and pictures of foals. The shop floor was filled with soft clothing on tables and little toys in bins. The patterns on the clothes were all bugs and flowers and critters of all sorts. Pinkie smiled as she looked at a footed onesie with stars on it. The constellations and shooting stars were delicately stitched onto the blue fabric.

"Are you sure Big Mac didn't want to come?" Pinkie turned to asked Fluttershy.

"Yes, he has work on the northern fields. Ahh, this one has cute wittle bunnies on it!" She held it up, "Little Peter Cottontail. Hey Pinkie, have you thought of any names yet?"

"Names? Well, when I was younger, I thought of things like Entropy or Dream Dust. But one night, we were stargazing and he told me how much he loves the Big Dipper. So, I guess Dipper Doodle? Corner Store if it's a boy." Pinkie giggled.

"That sounds nice."

"I wonder what the baby's personality will be like, I mean the best party pony and the Master of Chaos!" Pinkie giggled.

"Well it sure will be fun." Fluttershy answered.

They browsed through the onesies and shirts. Pinkie picked back up on the conversation when she saw one with happy rocks on it.

"Oh, I got a letter from my sister Blinkie yesterday!"

"You did?"

"Yeah, she was asking how everything was. We've been talking a lot lately. It's so much fun." Pinkie sniffled, "I miss her and Inkie. And Maud too!"

Fluttershy walked over and gave her a hug.

"Don't feel so bad. It'll all work out."

"How can you be so sure? Nobody likes talking to me anymore. It's surprising I still get booked for parties."

"Silly, that's because you're still the best party pony around."

"I AM NOT SILLY! I AM FREAKING HUGE! "Pinkie suddenly yelled. She calmed down the next second and blushed. "…I…I’m sorry for that…my mood swings are a little out of control lately…heh…"

Fluttershy recovered and smiled softly, "It's fine. You should have seen it when I used the stare on Big Mac after he asked me where the paper towels were."

"Really?" Pinkie laughed.

Fluttershy blushed and continued looking at clothes. The stores attendants had been looking at them but now went back to their work. They had long since gotten used to outbursts like that. It came with the territory.

Pinkie and Fluttershy finished looking through the onesies and were cooing at some little booties. Fluttershy found a butterfly toy but it only remind Pinkie of the twin's old one, so she laughed. Pinkie made sure to get as gender neutral as possible with the clothes. But it was hard as there was such a cute dress with polka dots. She looked through the toys again and found one that looked like a Chineighese dragon. It was so cute! She decided to get it. They finished shopping and made their way out.

Pinkie felt better as they walked towards home. Unfortunately, Rainbow Dash was down the street. She and Pinkie weren't on good terms still. Pinkie tried ducking her head but RD saw them. She walked straight over.

"Pinkie."

"Rainbow Dash."

"Buying baby clothes? Why do you even bother? They probably won't fit whatever it is anyway." She said, disgusted.

"Just go away Rainbow Dash." Fluttershy stepped up.

"What? I'm just telling the truth. He's not coming back for you, Pinkie. Give it up. He doesn't want his foal."

She lying. He wants us.

"I don't think this baby is any good." She spoke maliciously. Rainbow flew up and poked at Pinkie.

Pinkie held back the tears as best she could. She needs to be quiet. She doesn't get it. She doesn't understand.

"I think it's great she's pregnant. She's going to be a great mother!" Fluttershy defended.

"You honestly think she's worthy of having a foal? That hilarious! I have a better shot." She landed in front of them again.

Maybe..maybe she's right. Maybe I'm not meant to be a mother.

"I couldn't be happier. Her due date is two months before mine!"

"So what? Does that suddenly make you two bonded or something?"

Pinkie flustered. She hated this. Why could they all just be supportive?

"Oh shut up Dashie. You're jealous because you will never feel the happiness of been a mother." Pinkie lashed out.

RD looked taken aback. She twisted her blush into a veil of anger and flew off.

"Pinkie."

"I'm fine. Let's just go home."

Rainbow Dash has never been much of a friend anyway.


"Are you sure you're okay?" Fluttershy asked as she stood outside Sugarcube Corner.

"Yes, it's just mood swings. I think I need to lay down too." Pinkie smiled reassuringly.

"Okay. Call me if you need anything."

"I'll be fine. If I need anything I'll just ask Mrs. Cake."

"Please?"

"I'll call if I really need you. Okay?"

"Thank you."

Fluttershy walked back towards home. She's been living between the Everfree Forest and Sweet Apple Acres for about five years now. The location was a middle ground settlement of just about the only argument she and Big Mac have ever had.

Such a worrier. Pinkie thought as she put away the clothes. She had set up a little nursery area in part of her room. It was the best she could do at the moment. Pinkie looked at all the stuff she's accumulated. She had to be prepared. Her due date was coming up but it always bothered her when asked about it.

When? Well, it is the foal of Discord who is the God of Chaos. It could come out at any time and it's actually a bit scary. Anything could happen at any time, and it gets terrifying. But I will never give up on my foal. I will never let anything happen to it, even if it means sacrificing myself.

It was only five thirty in the afternoon but she felt so tired. She was getting more like this as the pregnancy progressed. She waddled over to the bed and laid out on the covers.

Pinkie laid on her side, looking out the window. It had been hard these last few months. AJ was as supportive as she could be but she was so busy around the farm. Twilight was happy for her but she's busy as well. Especially when it comes to dealing with the father. She was also up at Canterlot Castle these days so Pinkie rarely saw her. RD thought she was stupid for going through with it. She felt Pinkie wasn't good enough to raise a foal and only hopes it does well if it's a Pegasus. Pinkie still hurt from the earlier confrontation.

But Rarity had been the worst. It was a disaster. After Pinkie had told her, Rarity slapped her and stopped communicating with her. Pinkie missed Rarity. Talking to her, hanging out over tea, seeing all her new designs. The only times Pinkie saw her anymore was across the street. Pinkie sighed and turned away from the window. She rubbed her swollen belly.

I miss Discord.

Author's Note:

How far along
Fluttershy's foal, boy or girl?