• Published 20th Apr 2014
  • 2,171 Views, 24 Comments

Assistant Hindrance- Season 4- The Lost Episodes- Two - Matthais Unidostres



When Princess Twilight comes across a special flower and wakes a slumbering immortal dragon, she soon ends up having two dragon assistants, and Spike is not happy about it.

  • ...
2
 24
 2,171

Act Three

Heathspike lay down on a table in the library, the sparkling flower on his chest and a smile on his face. Pinkie Pie poked him gently in the side. "Heathspike? Yoo-hoo! Heathy? Wakey-wakey!"

Twilight pushed Pinkie Pie's hoof away and said frustratedly, "Pinkie, don't do that. He's not going to wake up." Twilight sighed, "Not for a few more thousand years."

"This is just stupid!" Rainbow Dash said, "He's probably just afraid to face the music for what he said."

Fluttershy put her hooves on Dash's shoulders and said sympathetically, "Oh, but the poor dear said he was sorry."

Rarity huffed, "Poor dear? Hmph! The uncouth little brat called us lowly subjects and questioned our friendship with Twilight."

"I still wish I hadn't gotten so frustrated. We could've worked something out," Twilight said sadly.

"Ah'm afraid I'm with Rarity on this one, Twi," Applejack said as she pointed at the unconscious dragon, "This feller's trouble! 'A Princess doesn't have friends,' huh! What a load of horse apples!"

"But maybe he was just confused!" Fluttershy said, "He was asleep for thousands of years after all. Maybe things were different long ago."

Twilight suddenly gasped as she was struck with a epiphany, "That's it!"

"What's it?" Spike asked.

"Luna was banished on the mood for 1000 years, and when she finally was freed and visited Ponyville on Nightmare Night, she wasn't sure how to act!" Twilight explained, "But after I taught her how to get along and have fun, everything was okay."

"So?" Rainbow Dash asked, not following along with what Twilight was trying to say.

"So, maybe all Heathspike needs is a few lessons in friendship," Twilight said brightly.

"I don't know, Twilight," Spike said nervously.

"I know Heathspike's been hard to live with," Twilight said honestly, "But look at it this way. If we don't help him, who will? Whoever wakes him up in a thousand or more years? Maybe yes, but maybe no" Twilight sighed, "As Princess, I am responsible for everyone in Equestria, and that includes Heathspike. I can tell that he's a good dragon inside, and I'm more than willing to try and bring it out."

Everyone else looked at Twilight, who sounded very much certain about what she was saying.

"Well, I'll be," Applejack said, then she smiled, "Ain't that the Twilight we all know and love!"

"If anyone can mold him into the perfect gentle dragon, it's our Twilight!" Rarity said.

"And then we can have that PARTY!" Pinkie cheered as she did a cartwheel around Heathspike.

"Yeah, yeah, I'll believe the guy can change when I see it," Rainbow Dash said unenthusiastically.

Fluttershy hugged Twilight softly and said, "Oh, thank you Twilight! You won't be sorry!"

"Well, this should be easier than when Fluttershy reformed Discord, at least," Spike remarked.

Twilight walked over to Heathspike and put a hoof on the flower in his claws. "Heathspike," Twilight said, "This is Princess Twilight here. I . . .I'm sorry for getting so angry and. . . firing you like I did. That was a mistake. I would still like for you to assist me. It's very important that you wake up. . .Please?"

Heathspike didn't move a muscle.

Twilight sighed, "Oh well. . .Spike, make us all a great big batch of hay-hash browns!"

Heathspike suddenly sat up so fast it looked as if he was propelled by a coiled spring. "A Princess doesn't eat greasy food!" he exclaimed in repulsion.

"Oh brother," Rainbow Dash remarked with a roll of her eyes.

"Does that mean you'll serve me?" Twilight asked.

Heathspike did his uncaring shoulder shrug and said, "I might as well, if you need me so much-."

"Stop right there, Heathspike," Twilight said, holding a hoof out to make him stop, "The fact is that we need each other. That's how friendship works."

"Ah, yes. Friendship," Heathspike said with a solemn nod, "I'm honestly not sure why friendship is so important to you."

Twilight smiled and said, "Well, don't worry, because I intend to show you why." Twilight's horn flashed, a Heathspike was suddenly buried in a huge pile of scrolls. He burst out of the pile, gasping for air as he looked at all the scrolls with wide eyes.

"If you really are a good Princess' servant, then you'll read all of my Friendship Reports, all of them, and then write a 1000 word essay on the Magic of Friendship," Twilight declared.

Rainbow Dash flew next to Applejack and whispered into her ear, "Betcha a milkshake he says no or tries to get out of it."

"As you wish, Princess Twilight! I live to serve!" Heathspike said with a dutiful salute.

Dash's mouth dropped open as Applejack just smirked at her.


The next day, everyone gathered together in the Library to hear Heathspike read his essay.

". . .therefore, it is clear that with help from your friends, you can do amazing things. Even become a Princess. The end!" Heathspike concluded with a smile as he looked up from the sheet of paper covered on both side with inked writing.

The small audience all stomped in applause, although Spike just clapped and Pinkie Pie cheered wildly and shot confetti into the air out of her Party Cannon.

"Very good, Heathspike!" Twilight said, "Aside from putting 'the end' in your essay, I'd say you did an excellent job."

Heathspike bowed respectfully, "A thousand thank yous, Princess. I believe I have learned quite a lot from your and your friends' Friendship Reports." He smiled sheepishly, "Perhaps the old rules of Princesshood have gone through a few changes. Perhaps one can be a good Princess while at same time enjoying life and. . .just being herself."

"I'm glad you see it that way," Twilight said, finally feeling truly triumphant.

Rainbow Dash cracked a smile, "Eh. I guess the kid's alright."

"Anybody can be a real sweetheart once you get to know him," Fluttershy said happily.

"Well hang on there, sugarcube. Ah wouldn't go as far as to say anybody" Applejack commented with a nervous laugh.

"Oh, Applejack, don't be a wet blanket. I'd say the little fellow is making great progress," Rarity said.

Heathspike nodded, "Why thank you, ma'am. Now, how may I serve you, Princess Twilight?" he asked dutifully.

Twilight gave a quick sidelong glance to Spike, who returned a quick wink and a nod. Twilight looked back at the blue dragon and said, "You and Spike can categorize, organize, and catalog that pile of Friendship Reports." She pointed at the pile of scrolls that lay against the far wall.

Heathspike blinked, took a quick glance at Spike, and then nodded, "Very well, your Majesty."

As everypony left the Library, Rainbow Dash flew close to Twilight and hovered next to her. "Are you sure it's a good idea to leave Spike alone with that other guy? I mean, just because he understands friendship doesn't mean he'll wanna be friends with Spike."

"Don't worry," Twilight assured, "Spike and I had a long talk about this, and I'm sure Spike will really bond with him, and they'll be as close as two little brothers. Now let's go. I have a huge craving for some hay burgers right now!"


At first, the two dragons were silent as they shifted through all the scrolls, deeply focused on their appointed task. Eventually, Spike decided to break the ice.

"So. . ." he began, "I kinda understand why you had all those rules. I mean, you were only trying to look out for Twilight."

"Hmm," Heathspike said.

"I'm not upset about those fights we had anymore."

"Hmm."

"They're really the kind of things you look back and laugh at, right? Heh-heh!"

"Hmm."

"I mean, the way we had arguments and rough little fights and misadventures, it's almost as if we're bro-"

"AH-HA! Here it is!" Heathspike said as he pulled out a scroll and opened it, "This is the one you wrote about the time you were jealous of that owl and were afraid of getting replaced by him."

"Hoo!" Owlicious hooted loudly, his eyes glaring hard at Heathspike.

Spike blushed with embarrassment and chuckled, "Well, yeah. But I should've known better. Twilight would never replace me!"

"Hmm," Heathspike said again, but then he smiled mischievously and said, "And yet here I am."

Spike groaned, "Come on, Heathspike. Don't start. Aren't we all friends here?"

Heathspike raised an eyebrow, "You don't feel threatened with my being here?"

"Nope!" Spike said confidently.

"You don't fear that I might become the one who does everything Princess Twilight while you do nothing?" Heathspike asked suspiciously.

"That's not gonna happen," Spike said brightly.

"'Not gonna hap-'" Heathspike echoed in shock before his voice trailed off. His jaw flapped up and down before he got up in a huff and stomped the ground hard. "NO! No-no-no! Spike, you are just too naive!"

"What's that supposed to mean?" Spike asked in surprise.

"'Showing a lack of experience, wisdom, or judg-'"

"No, I know what naive means! I meant, what are you talking about?"

Heathspike shook his head sadly, "Fine. Let me spell it out for you. From what I read about the importance of friendship in this land, and with how long you and Twilight have been friends, it's quite obvious that my days up and about in Ponyville are seriously numbered."

"Huh?!" Spike said in shock.

"Princess Twilight Sparkle simply does not need two assistants!" Heathspike said while spreading his arms wide, "She'd never get rid of you, so she'd obviously dismiss me!"

"Whoa! Calm down H.S,- uh, Heathspike!" Spike said as he motioned with his claws to calm down.

"H.S. is fine actually," the blue dragon said gloomily.

"Oh," Spike said in surprise, but then he shook off the shock and said, "Well, look, Twilight can use two assistants."

"But you don't want that, do you?" Heathspike said, "You've been her faithful assistant for so long. If I were you, I'd be feeling quite bad about this whole thing. The role of a Princess' Assistant is sacred, and quite hard to share willingly."

Spike faltered a bit at this. The truth was, he still wasn't completely sold on the idea of having another dragon assistant around. I'ts been him and Twilight for so long, it didn't feel right to him to have another assistant in the Library. "H.S., where is this coming from, anyway?" Spike asked.

Heathspike folded his arms and pouted, "Alright, you want to know? Fine then! I'm not happy here, okay! Twilight is just not my kind of Princess! She lives in a Library in a tree in a small town! Where's the palace, for goodness sake! And it's clear that Twilight is not the highest of Princesses. Your Celestia and Luna are the main rulers, they're the ones with the castle and the glamour, and they already have plenty of aides, servants, and assistants!" Heathspike let out a long exaggerated sighed and hung his head, "The responsibilities Twilight has only really requires one faithful assistant that understands her. A true, true friend, as it were. A friend with years of experience with her. That's you, Spike. Not me. Fact is, the only reason I'm going along with this is because there's no other Princess to serve, and I just don't want to fall back into my enchanted sleep if I don't have too. If I knew where I could find my kind of Princess, I would do anything to get her to pick my flower instead of the Princess of Books. Um. . .no offense. . .!" the blue dragon let out another exaggerated sigh, "But I suppose it won't be long before I have to return to sleep again anyway."

"But-" Spike began, but Heathspike cut him off.

"No Spike. . ." he said seriously as he dramatically placed a claw over his heart, "It'll be for the best." Heathspike looked around the library and snorted smoke out of his nostrils, "At least then I'll be able to leave all this dullness behind me. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get some juice, or chocolate milk, or something sweet."

Spike watched his blue counterpart walk off into the kitchen. He stared hard at the closed door, lost in deep thought. Then, the answer struck him suddenly. "That's it!" he said, and he quickly ran out the front door.


Heathspike finished his third glass of chocolate milk, and fifth doughnut from the box on the counter, and sighed his extra long sigh a third time. "Well, I'd better get back to work for Princess Scholar," he said as he pushed open the kitchen door. To his surprise, he found Twilight and Spike in the room, waiting for him.

"Heathspike, we need to talk," Twilight said seriously.


Everyone was gathered on the outskirts of Ponyville, in a grassy field on which the girls often had their picnics. Everyone was gathered around Heathspike to say their goodbyes.

"We know you'll be much happier when you wake up," Fluttershy said with a smile.

"Ya seem like you'd be a good worker once ya get your heart into it. I'm sure you'll find your place," Applejack said.

"It's just such a wonderful thought! A tale worthy of a novel! A young soul in search for a perfect Princess for him to swear his allegiance too!" Rarity practically sang.

"Ya better make sure they throw you a good waking up party!" Pinkie Pie warned playfully.

"And no being a jerk!" Rainbow Dash warned seriously.

Heathspike chuckled and said, "Princess, you certainly do have a colorful collection of interesting friends. His eyes glazed over, "They seem so familiar. . ." Then he shook that thought out of his head and said, "Anyway, I can't thank you enough for understanding. I was afraid that the truth might offend you."

Twilight shook her head and smiled good naturedly, "Oh no, I understand completely. Spike is the perfect assistant for me, and this is the perfect life for him. You just need to find yours, and I'm 100 percent positive that you will. Just promise-"

"Pinkie Promise!" Pinkie demanded sharply.

"Pinkie Promise that you won't forget about the Magic of Friendship, and try to be more reasonable in your attempts to assist your Princess."

Heathspike nodded and held out the scroll on which he had written his 1000 word essay. "Oh, I doubt I'll ever forget as long as I have this. But nevertheless. . .um. . .how do you-" Pinkie whispered the directions into his ear. He smiled in understanding and nodded. "Alright then. Cross my heart and hope to fly. Stick a cupcake in my eye," he said as he went through all the motions.

"Good!" Pinkie said, looking satisfied.

Spike walked over to the blue dragon, looking slightly nervous. "We. . haven't been on the best terms during the time you've been here. So. . .well. . ." Spike took a large blue sapphire out from behind his bag and handed it to Heathspike. "Friends?"

With wide eyes, Heathspike took the gem and stared at it in awe. He then looked up at Spike's worried and slightly guilty face. Heathspike smiled, broke the gem in half, and handed one of the halves back to Spike.

"Brothers," he said sincerely.

Spike's eyes shot open wide, and his heart began to thump harder. "Y-y-you mean it?"

Heathspike nodded.

As Spike's heart rate returned to normal, a huge smile grew on his face as he took the half of the gem. "Brothers!" he cheered, and the two dragons clicked their pieces together in a toast, and the tossed the delicious morsels into their mouths.

"Ahhh. . ." Heathspike sighed contentedly after he chewed and swallowed. He then brought the magic flower to his chest, held it in his claws, closed his eyes, and fell back onto the cool soft grass with a quiet thump.


Making new friends is always great, but it's not always easy. Everyone is different, meaning that you'll occasionally come across someone that has different beliefs than you do, or thinks differently than you do, or are even used to a way of life completely different than yours. And also, everyone has their own unique place in the world, and sometimes the calling of one friend will take them away from you. It may be sad at first, but a true friend always puts the wishes of their friend above their own, and sees them off with a smile as they achieve the joy and fulfillment of finding their one true place in the world. And that is something we should always support, and never hinder.

After all, it's not like we won't be seeing H.S. again soon!

-Twilight Sparkle
-Spike

After they finished their entry in the Friendship Journal, Spike said to Twilight, "Okay, what now?"

Twilight smiled slyly and motioned to the pile of Friendship Reports yet to be sorted.

"Oh yeah, I almost forgot," Spike said with a sheepish smile.

Twilight laughed and said, "Come on, let's do it together. I've been wanting to read through them and reminisce about the times we've all had for quite a while."


Although the blue dragon couldn't move, speak, see, or even truly think about what was happening or where he was; he could most certainly hear as the earth around him moved and shook.

"'. . .just make sure that you, and only you, are the one who picks the flower. I'm positive this will be just what you need. Sincerely, Twilight Sparkle,'" said a mare's voice.

"Some kind of magic flower, huh? I wonder what it does?" came a stallion's voice.

"Well, it's Twilight, so it has to be good. Here I go!" the mare's voice said in a giddy cheerful tone.

The moment he felt the stem get tugged free of his claws, his consciousness returned to him in an instant. Then he burst out of the purple soil inside of the large orange planter pot, which had been sitting inside of a slightly taller cardboard box marked fragile to keep the flower save and undamaged.

When the dragon opened his eyes and looked straight up, his breath was taken away. Crystal! Beautiful, blue, elegant crystal! He looked behind him, and gasped when he beheld the magnificent architecture of the room and the other buildings outside. Everything was made out of the gorgeous crystal, and arches and towers were everywhere. On the floor was a red royal carpet, and the design of the windows, pillars, and banners just screamed 'Royal Palace.'

And then, he turned back around.

His eyes fell upon a creature of incredible beauty. Sparkles danced around in his vision as he took a long moment to admire the pink alicorn, her lovely hair cascading down alongside her face, her entire form commanding a kind of beauty, elegance, and grace that the frumpy Twilight Sparkle did not have.

"My Princess!" he thought, "Look at that poise! Look at that form! Oooh! Look at that figure! I'm sure she doesn't eat greasy foods! . . .but if she wanted to. . . on occasion, I wouldn't be pushy about it, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. But I'm sure she's the type of Princess who appreciates a good salad. . .Wait, is her mouth moving? Oh goodness me, she's saying something to me! Okay, stay focused."

The blue dragon shook off his daze brought on by enchantment and focused on what he was seeing. The pink alicorn had a gentle smile on her face, and was bending down slightly so that she was at eye level with the little dragon. Standing next to her was a white unicorn with a dark mane wearing a uniform. The dragon assumed that he was a prince, although he noticed that the Prince was eyeing him suspiciously, a strong contrast to the warm inviting gaze of the Princess.

"I said, who are you, little one?" Princess Cadence repeated a little louder, but still in a kind tone.

The dragon cleared his throat, jumped out of the box, dusted himself off a bit, and said with a bow, "Kenbroth Gilspotten Heathspike. At your service, your Majesty!"

THE END

Comments ( 8 )

HNNNNG (has heart attack from overdose of d'awww' at the end)

D'aa-NOPE!:ajbemused: He's not forgiven! He should have stayed dead or comatose.

Uh oh... I hope Candace can handle him...

:derpytongue2:Nice , good read not much else to say

I haven't read the whole chapter yet. I haven't read much beyond Fluttershy's line here, so I'll give my thoughts on that:

"But maybe he was just confused!" Fluttershy said, "He was asleep for thousands of years after all. Maybe things were different long ago."

I have my doubts about that. Culture can only explain so much. When you get down to it, people are people (whatever culture or era you're talking about). And this Heathspike strikes me as a controlling person. As someone who doesn't respect or care about Twilight, but just wants to use her for his own ends. Like a husband who wants to control every little thing about his wife, and mold his “perfect woman” (rather then letting her be herself).

Now this could be innocent. Maybe Heathspike's not naturally this controlling, maybe he was strictly told that this is how you're supposed to serve a princess. But if he was trained that way, well, that would give me some serious questions about the kind of people who trained him. Or maybe the people who trained him are innocent. Maybe Heathspike's just being a dufus, and blindly following his training, even when the result is spiting on Twilight and not letting her make her own choices.

9105715

And now I've finished reading the chapter. Seems that once Twilight put her foot down, Heathspike stopped trying to force her to be someone she wasn't. He didn't get mad, he didn't tell her off, and he didn't keep trying to control every little thing about her. He's sounding less like an abusive controlling husband, and more like someone who can own up to his mistakes.

The friendship lesson at the end is a good one. But why is this only a handful of MLP fanfics that end with a friendship-lesson-letter? Ending with a friendship lesson is (well, was) kind of MLP's thing, and it's a nice touch. I'd like to see more fanfics end that way.

Login or register to comment