• Published 1st Apr 2014
  • 614 Views, 2 Comments

A Quantum Friendship - playnwin



Promises are easy to make, but hard to keep... in Ponyville.

  • ...
0
 2
 614

A Quantum Friendship

A Quantum Friendship

Science! It bestows immortal friendship on those who advance it to elevate all of ponykind.
Newtrot! Equestein! Star Swirl! Princes among ponies!
But the price for such a legacy is steep indeed... in Ponyville.

~~~

“Alright Crusaders, can any of you tell me about the many-worlds interpretation?” Twilight’s question was answered with three blank stares. Twilight was briefly disappointed. Weren’t any of them advanced theoretical physicists? Foolishness followed quickly thereafter. Of course they weren’t. She had been practicing her speech to said physicists too much, it appeared.

“Whenever a chance happens, meaning more than one result could happen, the universe branches to accommodate the two, each existing in a separate parallel universe. Are you all with me?”

“Huh?” Scootaloo didn’t understand. What was she going on about, making universes? It sounded like utter nonsense. Though it was entirely possible Twilight had gone off her rocker again. It hadn’t happened in a few weeks, another one was due sometime soon.

How could she explain this at the Crusaders’ level? She levitated a coin over from her workbench, and held it up in front of the three. “Imagine flipping this coin.” As she spoke, she did so. The coin bounced around for a few seconds before coming to a halt. Placing her hoof over it, she continued her explanation.

“It’s either heads or tails, right?” Three slow, unsure nods. “Two possibilities. For each of these, a universe forms.” She revealed the coin, heads up. “This universe had a coin heads up. However, in a different universe, I revealed the coin to be tails up. That universe is completely identical to ours, except for which side of the coin is up. Understand?”

The three still didn’t really understand, but they each nodded empathetically, hoping to go crusading sooner. Smiling, Twilight used her magic to pull a tarp off of a nearby machine. “So, knowing this, I created this machine. It uses this theory to choose which universe I end up in, to some extent. It takes promises that I make, and makes sure that they are fulfilled, even if I don’t do it myself.”

Seeing their doubtful glances, she decided for a demonstration. “For example: Scootaloo, if you were to go open the front door, I promise that you’ll find one hundred bits sitting on the doorstep.”

~~~

Smiling to himself, Lucky ran through town, his newly gained money in his bag. He had just gotten a pay raise from his boss, and a small bonus in cash. He had been born lucky, and his luck had never turned against him.

He didn’t notice the tear in his bag until he got home.

~~~

“Right...” Muttering under her breath Scootaloo shuffled to the door, feeling like she was on the wrong end of a practical joke. Opening the door, she was shocked to see a small bag, overflowing with gold coins sitting there. Bringing it inside, Scootaloo tried to see how Twilight had done it. “Where’d that come from?”

Twilight smiled, gleeful at the success of her invention. “I have no idea.”

Scootaloo scowled at the bits, then shrugged, putting them into her bag. If it was a practical joke, it was a very expensive one.

Seeing their continued uncertainty, Twilight tried again. “Let’s do another one. See this ice cream cone?” She had made herself one earlier, but she never got around to eating it. It was beginning to melt, and would be a good subject. “I’m going to toss this in the air, and I promise it won’t hit the ground.” She tossed the cone high into the air.

~~~

Owlowiscious had been locked out. Again. Blown about by the increasingly breezy day, he went around to the back window, which was usually unlocked. Finding it to be so, Owlowiscious allowed himself in, right as a strong breeze struck, sending him flying uncontrollably in.

~~~

Spike had just finished cleaning up his cooking mess. He had attempted another jewel cake, and had managed to get it made, albeit making a disaster zone in the process. But he had cleaned it up, and Twilight hadn’t seen. That was all that mattered.

Breathing a sigh of relief, Spike pushed open the kitchen door.

~~~

The cone flew through the air, almost as if in slow motion. The Crusaders looked on doubtfully. They couldn’t see how Twilight would manage this one without magic. But she seemed unconcerned, not lighting her horn to bring her magic to bear.

Suddenly, the window burst open, bringing a strong wind into the room. That wind pushed the cone towards the kitchen door. Moments before the cone burst against the door, it swung open, revealing Spike.

While the door was spared, Spike was not. He received the ice cream head-on in the face, the cone shattering upon impact. He was covered in the ice cream, but, miraculously, not a drop had hit the ground.

The three Crusaders look on in awe. Was it a coincidence? Or an act? Though, if it were real... it would be quite impressive.

Twilight smiled, they were beginning to understand. Sensing the perfect moment for a dramatic proclamation, she stood up and, in her best Royal Canterlot Voice, announced, “I have given myself... QUANTUM FRIENDSHIP!” Thunder crackled outside, encouraged by a dab of magic.

Thoroughly impressed, the Crusaders rose from their seats, walking towards the door. The three made it to the door, with only Sweetie Belle tripping on the way there.

Following them to the door, Twilight Sparkle said, “I’ve got some promises to make and keep. Have fun girls!” She began to joyfully bounce down the street, reminiscent of the town’s pink party pony.

Suddenly, Sweetie Belle piped up. “Should we tell Twilight about this?” She gestured to the machine’s cable, which she had tripped over and unplugged.

“Ah’m sure it’s fine.”

“I have a bad feeling about this...” Scootaloo stared down the street, towards where Twilight had left towards.

~~~

Going down the street, the first friend Twilight met was Rainbow Dash.

“Hey, Twilight! Can I ask a favor real quick? I’ve got this amazing show lined up for tonight at Fluttershy’s donation thingamajig, but I’ve also got an audition with the Wonderbolts tomorrow. I can’t afford to get hurt tonight, but it would mean a lot to Fluttershy if I gave it my all.

“Could you be there, and use your magic to keep me from, you know, hitting trees or something? I mean, I don’t need your help, but... could you?”

Twilight grinned. Perfect! “Sure! You might not see me there, but I promise you won’t get hurt.”

“Really? If you’re so sure, I’ve got an extra-dangerous one I could do.”

“Go ahead! You’ll be safe.”

“Thanks Twilight!”

~~~

Twilight came upon Rarity next.

“Oh, thank goodness Twilight, I was beginning to think I’d never find you. I’ve got a favor to ask. I’ve been hired by a couple of smart-types to make some clothing, and I’d like you to take a look over them; make sure they’re accurate and all. These are very influential ponies, and I need them to like it. Please?”

“Oh Rarity, I know your work. You have no need to worry, they’ll love it, I promise.”

“Well, I suppose my work is fabulous. Thank you Twilight, I feel reassured knowing I have your confidence.”

~~~

Twilight wandered by Fluttershy’s cottage, to look at her preparations for the charity event. They looked well enough, but she heard a small shuffling behind her. She turned around to see Fluttershy smiling sheepishly.

She grinned again. This day was just getting better and better. “Let me guess. You’d like to ask a favor. You want this to go perfectly?”

Fluttershy anxiously pawed the ground. “Well, yes, but if you have other plans, I understand.”

“Nonsense. I can already tell from what I see here. The event will go well, I promise.”

~~~

Twilight stopped in with Applejack next. She was hosting this year’s Apple Family Reunion. Chances were, she had a favor to ask, one that could easily be solved by a quick promise. This machine of hers would revolutionize the world, when she released it to the rest of the world.

Right on cue, Applejack walked up. “Hey, Twi, can Ah ask ya a favor? I’m the sole host of this year’s reunion, and Ah’d like everything to go well this time around. With ya bein’ an honorary Apple and all, and such a good organizer, I thought maybe you might help out around here, though I’ll understand if you can’t make it.”

“Applejack, have some more faith in yourself. After the last one, I know you’ve learned what it takes to do one right. Maybe you even won’t break the barn this time. It’ll go fine, I promise.”

~~~

Pinkie Pie, unsurprisingly, showed up when Twilight least expected it. It seemed even she had a favor to ask. Though, with her device, it was no longer a burden.

“And how can I help you, Pinkie?”

“Ooh, ooh! I’m throwing a super-duper-special party the the Cakes’ twins’ birthdays later, and it’s very special. I’ve started decorating and setting up, but I’m not sure if I can do it alone. Wanna help?” She had begun bouncing halfway through the first sentence.

“Pinkie, you don’t need my help! You’re the super-duper-party-pony after all. Go on, the party will be a success, I promise.”

~~~

She was dead. Dead, dead, dead. Something had gone grievously wrong. She had made promises to all of her friends, and none of them had come true. She had to think of some way out of her situation. Calm was needed; she still had time until her friends found her.

*BANG* *BANG* *BANG*

She froze. Her time was up, she had nowhere else to go. She stood, and turned to the door. She had to go face the angry mob of ponies that used to be her friends.

“I’ll be fine, I promise.”

~~~

Poor, poor Twilight Sparkle! Felled by her own hubris? Or the ignorance of the masses?
Perhaps she should have left the crate unopened, the decaying atom unobserved!
Curiosity often kills the cat... in Ponyville.

Author's Note:

A weird bit based loosely off of Alan Wake's Night Springs episode "A Quantum Suicide". See here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-wAaBoW408.
Yeah, Alan Wake is my favorite game ever. If Pen Strokes hadn't already laid a well-deserving claim on an MLP/Alan Wake crossover, I'd be doing one myself.

Comments ( 2 )

Something I wondered about Night Springs . . . The style in which it's "filmed" is clearly supposed to resemble The Twilight Zone, so why do the themes and morals resemble The Outer Limits?

On-topic, this almost feels like an episode, although this is hardly a typical moral for the series. It's definitely cleverer than what it's based on, and I give it a solid thumbs up.

Login or register to comment