• Published 28th Mar 2014
  • 3,185 Views, 44 Comments

Taismo: Discovering Equestria - RockStarMLP



A misuse of Chaos Control sends two of Mobius's most recognized heroes to a new world called Equestria. As they find a way home, they explore and enjoy the world of magic and friendship by six new best friends

  • ...
23
 44
 3,185

Chapter 2

It was a quiet night in Ponyville, where the only sounds most ponies could hear would be a gentle breeze and nighttime wildlife acting as they would. However, you could also hear the sounds of a pegasus pony racing around in the skies, stopping briefly from one point to another, surveying the area as best as possible. The pony was Rainbow Dash, who raced out of Twilight’s home at the library after stating “It’s time to do something,” and has since been racing around the greater Ponyville area in a search. Little did her attention notice was that she wasn’t the only pony who raced out from the library, and they manage to track her to her next spot. Over at the school, Rainbow Dash stood up near the bell to search around the surrounding area for a few moments, trying to see what little could be recognized in the dark.

“Nothing at all,” she said in complaint. “Not as much as a rose bud anywhere in sight. This is messed up and…”

Coming right out of the bell came Pinkie Pie, much to Rainbow Dash’s surprise as she appeared out of nowhere. “And what are you up to in such a hurry?!” the pink mare asked, startling her friend so much that she took a misstep and fell from where she stood onto the ground below.

While rubbing her head in pain from the impact to the ground, her eyes then noticed Applejack and Rarity walking up as Pinkie hopped down next to them. “Rainbow, what in Equestria are you doin’ zigzags all across town in the dark?” asked the orange pony.

“What does it look like I’m doing? I’m trying to find that fox guy’s friend,” Rainbow said back.

“Are you really? After saying those things when the dear first woke up, and during the night no less?” inquired Rarity, confused with her friend’s actions.

“Yeah, Dashie,” added the pink pony, “Why are you starting the search now? You know you can barely see anypony or anything at this time.”

After getting back on all four hooves, Rainbow replied with “Because why not? You saw how hurt that guy got when he was talking about her, so I figured the sooner we find this friend of his, maybe they can go back to wherever it is they came from sooner.”

“Rainbow,” Applejack said disappointingly, “I can’t believe you. You’re criticizing Tails as if he’s some kind of rotten apple. You should be ashamed of yerself for tryin’ to get rid of him so fast when he’s still trying to heal from whatever bruised him up so much.”

“So what if I am?” said the cyan pony, putting up a stubborn front.

“Because it’s unlike you, Rainbow Dash,” addressed the white unicorn. “You’ll accuse of anyone of misdeeds if they prove the point, but that poor dear Tails has done nothing but arrive here, however it was that he did so, and yet you treat him like some sort of threat. You’re really approaching this the wrong way, and should be more caring for him in his time of needing help.”

“Well what if I AM trying to help, and trying to do things the right way to make it up to him?” Rainbow lashed back, partly intentional but unaware of what she let herself admit.

/)∞(\

Meanwhile, elsewhere in Equestria, a young woman was walking across unfamiliar land, only becoming unconscious just a little while prior. Having no idea where she was, how she got there, or who else she’d hope to be with was at, she walked on to the best of her abilities, while feeling the stings of pain from her imprisoning by a most hated enemy.

She was quite weakened, but her determination to find her friends, and her love for the one she cared for most, kept her going, because this was no mare or filly of Equestria, but none other than the Seedrian hero Cosmo. With every trip and heavy eyelids trying to drop shut, Cosmo made her way through the unknown desert terrain, soon finding herself overlooking off a summit down onto a western town as the sun was starting to set. She was exhausted, but very much relieved to find some civilization at last.

“A town,” she said to herself, and panting. “Finally… Now I can… try to… find help… and find…

“Find him…

“Find… Tails…”

She then fell unconscious and her body leaned forward, sending her a tumble down the hill she stood atop of. Fortunately her, help had appeared from nearby.

/)∞(\

Cosmo dreamed a dream very different than that of her beloved fox’s, for she found herself in a similar predicament as when conscious- in an unknown and desolate place with no one in sight for miles. She would keep calling out names of her friends and family, but one name repeated more than any other, and became more and more fueled with despair and fear that she may not find him at all – “Tails! TAILS!! TAILS!!!!!” Then, a brief sight of another being could be seen as a blur as it flew around her, saying something that the Seedrian couldn’t make out, but before being able to clarify it better, her mind and body began be swallowed into blackness, and return back to consciousness as her eyes struggled to open. When she got her sight, she leaned up and found herself in a bed, without the slightest idea of where she now was, among other things.

“What the…?” she said to herself quietly. “How did I get here? And that person, who was that? What were they say…”

“Well you’re awake earlier than I thought, stranger,” said a voice, startling Cosmo at first. She then turned over to notice where the voice came from- a colt in a cowboy hat and neckerchief. He then warmly greeted her with “Howdy, friend, and welcome to Appleloosa. My name’s Braeburn.”

Cosmo had no idea how to react at first except startled. Part of it was the fact that there was a talking pony next to her, which wouldn’t normally bother her, but without an idea of where she was instilled a little more fear than desired. “Hello, sir,” she said, quickly forgetting his name. “Where did you say we were again?”

“Why you’re in my home here in the great land of Appleloosa, one of the finest Apple family settlements in all of Equestria,” Braeburn replied. “Somethin’ tells me you’re not from these parts, are ya?”

“You could say that,” she told him. “Where did you find me?”

“I wasn’t the one to find you, but a friend of mine did. Little Strongheart noticed you approaching town while with her herd. Once she saw you takin’ a tumble down the hill, she raced over to save you, and bring you here so somepony could help. Forgive me if I sound rude, but you did look mighty beaten, Miss…” Braeburn explained, and asking for her name.

After processing the information mentally, Cosmo said “My name is Cosmo, and yes, I could only imagine that I look very hurt. May I ask, where is this friend of yours?” He then explained that she had to return to her herd right after the rescue, having looking out for her fellow buffalo as their chief was recovering from a cold. “I see,” she said, “but I still don’t quite understand where I am. What is ‘Equestria?’”

“It’s the home land of everypony from Baltimare to Los Pegasus and everywhere else around. It’s a wonderful land here, and if where you’re from was anythin’ related to what you were yellin’ just before waking up, it sounds a tad troubling,” he told her.

“What I was saying?” she asked, and recanted what she saw in her dream. After a minute in her own thoughts, she recalled many of the things she saw and said, and heard. “Sonic and Amy, Cream and Cheese, Knuckles and Rouge, I remember trying to call them out, but Tails…” She paused in a state of worry, then turned quickly back to the yellow pony to ask “You wouldn’t know of a two-tailed fox around my height that may have been here, would you sir?”

After a quick ponder, he replied “Nope, can’t say that I have, but you can call be Braeburn there, Miss Cosmo. That one name you said, Tails, you were hollerin’ that louder than an Apple family during the first day of Applebucking season. Come to think of it, you were trying to say somethin’ else, somethin’ about ‘traveling to Can…’ or somethin’ like that.”

Thinking carefully, Cosmo thought to herself and remembered more of her dream. “Yes,” she said, “and I was being told to travel to this place called Cante… Canter… If I could only remember this ‘kingdom of Canter-place.’ Braeburn, would you know of a place with that name?”

“Well there’s only one place with a name close to that, and that’s the capital city of Canterlot,” he explained.

“Well, I can’t explain it, but something, or someone,” she went on to say, while also thinking “or somepony,” “is trying to guide me to this Canterlot place. What answers I seek must be there.” She then got out of the bed and onto her feet, but after only a couple footsteps her body began to shut down on her, still exhausted from previous events from the day.

“Not in your condition, Miss,” said a second voice, and walking into Braeburn’s home was the sheriff of Apple Loosa. “You were brought into town like a beaten down tumbleweed, no condition to roll on too far yet.”

“Well howdy again, Sheriff,” Braeburn said, then gave him an introduction. “Cosmo, this is our town’s sheriff, Silverstar. He was one of the first ponies to see you comin’ along with me. He just came back to see if there were any others wonderin’ nearby.”

“And I found nothin’ but tumbleweeds out there. Too dark to see much else,” the sheriff stated. “As for you, Miss, I suggest you get back to hittin’ the hay.”

Supporting herself from the side of the bed, Cosmo replied “I’m still worn out, but I’ll be fine. I need to find someone important to me, and find out exactly where I am.”

“I thought it was already clear of where you were,” Braeburn said, confused by her statement.

“No, you have made it clear of where I am here, but I’m not exactly from this place, and need to find some answers,” she explained, getting herself back on her feet without wanting support.

The two Appleloosans thought about what she was saying, and came to a conclusion. “Well then, Cosmo, if it’s answers you seek, then Canterlot is the home of a pony who would be the most helpful, our princess,” Silverstar said. “But forgive my arguing when I say you’re in no shape to…”

“I appreciate your concern, but I have to find my friend. I just have to find him,” she interrupted.

“Well now, whoever this friend is must be so important that you’d try limpin’ all the way to the princess,” Braeburn stated.

Cosmo started to take another step, then another, slowly but surely moving closer to her goal, but stopped when she told them both “He is, and much, much more. He is my best and closest friend, and somebody that I love very much. If he is here in your world like me, then I know he’d be trying whatever it takes to find me, and I’m willing to do the same for him. I can’t thank you enough for helping me, and hope to one day return the favor, but I must be going, so may I ask what the best way to Canterlot is?”

The two ponies saw much determination coming from her, along with something that they’ve only heard tales about other ponies, from visitors that have traveled to their town. Telling that she will refuse any advice or persistence to stay longer, the sheriff decided to help her in her mission.

“Other than unicorn magic, which we lack here unfortunately, your best bet is the Equestria Railway. In fact, the next train is a straight shot to Canterlot.”

Realizing this himself, Braeburn added “You’re right, Sheriff, and there’s another train about to come through town some time tonight. Would that be the same train?”

“It should be,” Silverstar replied, then pulled out a pocket watch to check the time. “It’s due to come through in a little while. I’ll race ahead to make sure the train makes a stop here,” and with that he raced out.

Cosmo turned back to the other pony, looking very happy to have been found by such wonderful beings. “Thank you,” she said kindly, “for everything. I’ll have a chance to rest more on this train, and by the time that…” As she tried to walk, her knees started to shake a little, so Braeburn raced up to her side and offered to guide her to the station. She accepted this kind gesture, thanking him again. “Thanks, Braeburn.”

“No need to thank me. I’ve learned my ways from my dear cousin and her friends. In fact, if you ever get the chance to stop by Ponyville, stop by Sweet Apple Acres and ask for Applejack. If anypony could be extra help, it’s her,” he replied to her, and they began to make their way to the train station.

“I’ll make sure to do that,” she said back, but the name of the town stuck to her conscious, just like Canterlot and the image of her dream’s visitor. “Ponyville…”

As the night would progress, Cosmo got aboard the next train and was given a private sleeping car to rest. She would immediately get some rest as the conductor informed her that their arrival in Canterlot would be sometime in the late morning, but like her other half, the night’s rest would feel as if it lasted days rather than hours.

/)∞(\

When dawn broke the next morning in Ponyville, the sound of a train whistle blew, as it went straight through the town’s station, awaking Tails from a night’s rest in Twilight Sparkle’s spare bed. Even though his resting had him regain a lot of his energy, enough to move around with only small pains, his concerns was still heavy weight on his conscious, leaving himself only physically better than before. He saw that Twilight’s bed was empty, and with the strength to move around, he got out of bed and descended down the stairs into the study just below. Tails found her going through several open books she had levitating around her, with a pile of many more beside her, and still stacking higher up.

“Good morning, Twilight,” Tails greeted her, followed by a big yawn.

“Oh, good morning, Tails,” she greeted in return, but then noticed how he was up on his feet. “Wait, what are you doing out of bed? Don’t you still feel exhausted or hurt?”

“Yes, but better than before. I tend to heal fairly quickly depending on how I take care of myself, but I must admit, I do feel stronger that I thought I would,” he replied.

“Well,” Twilight said, “I may have a reason for that.” She then set her books down to the side, remembering her place in each one to return to them later. Recanting what took place yesterday, she told her new friend about the six ponies’ first encounter with him.

“You see, Tails, when we first found you after Fluttershy saw you crash into the ground, I was the first to jump in and, inspect the area, to put it best, and I found you in much worse condition. I immediately took you out of the crater and to my friends, and we knew that my home here was much closer than anywhere else, including the hospital.

"Before bringing you here, I used a spell I learned that helps heal most wounds, but not the worst of which you got, so that your recovery would go by faster. In fact, just a few seconds after doing it, you began to murmur something that nopony could make out- ‘Co… Cos… m-mo.’ It was good to know that you weren’t worse than possible, and from there we got you here to recover more with rest.”

Tails took a minute to understand what she said, looking around his body with better focus for the first time since being hurt to see the proof, especially with his vision seeming better than the last night. He didn’t say anything, even though he did have much gratitude to give, as he thought of what he would’ve tried to say. “I must have been saying her name,” he said to himself.

“Her name?” Twilight thought to herself at first, but then remembered a name from their conversations last night. “You were trying to say Cosmo’s name, weren’t you?” The fox then wore a sad face as he thought of his loved one more, and she felt sympathetic for him. “I’m sorry, Tails. I know that kind of pain is so hard to handle.”

“It is,” he said, and then looked out one of her windows. “I have to go find her and know if she’s here with me, and once I know that, we have to find a way to get back home.”

“Don’t worry, we’ve gotten a head start on it,” the alicorn told him. “After what you told us about Cosmo last night, my friends have gone out to ask everypony if she’s been seen or heard about. I stayed here to go through my books for any sort of traveling spells to help you or any history about this home of yours, Mobius. I also wanted to make sure you weren’t going to force yourself like you tried to do before.” Her last sentence was said with a little more firmness.

Tails had heard this kind of talk before, mainly from those he’s fought against in battles, or by his loved one during a time of recovery like this. He’d never argue against her, but in times like this, his stubbornness tended to become strong.

“I appreciate it all, but it’s my fault we got ourselves here, and she’s my closest friend. I wouldn’t be the person I am if I didn’t force myself to try,” he told Twilight.

Trying to be reasonable but keep firm, Twilight said to him “And we all understand that, but wondering around without knowing what’s what or where while still very injured isn’t the way to do it. We’ll do whatever we can to help you, but you have to…”

“I have to go find her!” Tails said back in determination and partial rage, but a sudden jolt of pain shot through him, proving the point Twilight was trying to make. “I can’t just do nothing. It’s like abandoning on her, and I won’t do that… Not again…” One of his eyes formed a small tear, showing more of his heartache.

Assessing what she’s seen and knows, the alicorn princess tried to talk through to him again. “Listen, Tails, as hard as it is to accept, you’re not fully healed yet, and you never know what you’ll run into all the time in Equestria. But there are many great ponies that, if they have found her, would help her in any way possible. Besides, would she really want you to travel around when in such a bad shape? I promise that we’ll keep helping you however we can, I’ll do whatever it takes, but you need to give back to us and help yourself first.”

Again, it was more that he’s heard before, but this time it sounded much more like what Cosmo would say to him. Refraining himself from putting out anymore anger, he calmed down and made his way back to the staircase leading to the bedroom, and sat on one of the lower steps. He had to accept that he wouldn’t be in any shape to do what he had to do for himself, for Cosmo if he could find her, and for them both, to get back home.

All Twilight could see was Tails’s heartbroken, but silent, compliance, and walked up to him to put a hoof on his shoulder. “I’m sorry, Tails, but it’s just how it needs to be for now,” she said kindly.

“I know,” he sighed, and a single tear dropped from his eye onto the floor. “It’s just hard to accept for me. I’m sorry for how I acted towards you.”

“It’s alright,” she replied. “Is there anything I can do to help you with, maybe something easy on yourself that you’d like to do?”

His answer actually came quickly, and in a couple ways, lifted his spirit a little. Although Cosmo was his first priority, after meeting the ponies of this new world made him wonder about what else there was to know.

“Actually,” he said, “I have one idea. Would you mind telling me more about this place, your world of Equestria? I’d like to learn more about how things go in this world, and the history of all the different ponies there are.”

“Of course,” Twilight said with much glee. “There’s a lot of Equestria to learn about. The places, the stories, the annual traditions and holidays, the legends, and I have practically all of it right here.”

She then gasped with an exciting idea and said “Maybe you can teach me more about where you’re from, and what other kinds of people are there and everything you all do!” She then beamed a smile and widely-opened eyes of excitement to learn more about something brand new.

“Sure… I’d love to,” Tails agreed, but the look she expressed left him a little uncomfortable. The pursuit of knowledge was something he shared with many others, but hers seemed to have much greater eagerness and hype like nothing he’s ever seen before. “Why don’t we start with… your world, if that’s okay with you.”

“Fair enough. You are the guest here after all,” she said. “What would you like to know first?”

Thinking for a moment, there was one thing he saw amongst the six ponies that did leave him curious. “Well, I don’t mean to be rude, but I saw four different kinds of ponies. Applejack and Pinkie were ground ponies, Fluttershy and Rainbow were pegasi, and you and Rarity as unicorns,…”

“That’s correct, but we call ponies without wings or horns Earth ponies,” Twilight said.

Tails continued with “But with you, you’re the only pony with both wings and a horn. Is that rare?”

“You could say that. I’m an alicorn, a pony that has a special level of magic and abilities,” she explained, but it was then her turn to feel uncomfortable. Her role as an alicorn princess was still something she was adjusting to, mainly as how others see her. To keep that business left alone, she shifted topics by saying “It’s just a reward for all the hard work I’ve done in my studies. Me, my friends and everypony else, we all have something that makes us special in our own ways, and we have the marks to show for it.” She then showed Tails her flank, and the marking that was on it.

Looking at this, Tails pondered to himself about it. “That’s quite interesting. What is it, a special beauty mark?” Before he got his answer, the door downstairs opened and a voice called out.

“Twilight, are you busy?! We brought breakfast!” The voice belonged to Rarity.

“Not at all, girls! Come on up!” Twilight called out to them, and then turned to Tails to say “I guess my explanation about cutie marks will have to wait another few minutes. I hope you don’t mind.”

He didn’t reply exactly to the question, but he asked curiously “Cutie marks?”

“Yeah!” exclaimed the voice of Pinkie Pie, who appeared out of nowhere and right in front of a shocked Tails. Rarity and Fluttershy followed her with a box of food the white unicorn used her magic to bring up, appearing up the stairs just as the pink mare said “A cutie mark is a special mark that ponies get when they’re fillies, and most importantly when they discover their special talent that they’re meant to do. Nopony ever has the same cutie mark, which makes them all the better and all the more special!”

Fluttershy and Rarity stepped over to Twilight, with the first saying “Good morning, Twilight. Why are you talking about cutie marks?”

“Tails and I were just starting to talk about our different worlds,” Twilight explained, “and he was just asking about mine when you three arrived.”

“Why that sounds delightful. Those are great stories for ponies to tell after all,” Rarity said, setting the box of food down near her feet. She then turned her attention towards their new fox friend to say “Oh, and how are you doing there, Tails? Feeling better from yesterday?”

“I am, but still far from perfect,” he replied with a sigh.

Fluttershy saw the sadness his heart still held onto, so she went into the box and pulled out a treat. She then walked over to Tails, and handed him a freshly baked breakfast muffin.

“Maybe a delicious muffin will help cheer you up. We picked some up from Sugarcube Corner to share with everyone, and a couple other treats Pinkie Pie made just for you.”

“Of course! Nothing makes those taste buds happy like a super delicious treat from Sugarcube Corner!” the pink mare yelled out.

“Thanks,” said the two-tailed fox, and he took the muffin and had a bite of it. It tasted delicious, and after swallowing he told them “This tastes amazing. I never had a muffin so full of flavor before.”

“Well, duh, it’s from Sugarcube Corner. You’ve still got a lot, and I mean A LOT, to learn about Ponyville, and Equestria, and you just got another first taste of it all,” Pinkie told him.

“Then let’s get back to it and enjoy our breakfast at the same time,” Twilight said, and then used her magic to pass around a treat to herself and her friends. “So Tails, did Pinkie Pie’s description of cutie marks give you the answer you were looking for?”

Thinking to himself for a moment, along with taking a few more bites of his muffin, Tails answered “I think so- it’s basically a physical definition of who you are and what you’re best at. Is that right?”

“That’s right, dear, it’s just like that,” Rarity said. “Everypony’s got their own special talents that help them accomplish great things. Take mine, for example.” She posed herself to show her flank to him, showing her cutie mark of three diamonds. She then explained about how she earned her mark, and Fluttershy then explained about hers, followed by Pinkie, and lastly Twilight.

/)∞(\

“I see,” Tails said, intrigued by these stories. “Those are really interesting stories, and this rainbow you all saw, it sounds like it was the same one.”

“As a matter of fact, it was. It came from a special technique Rainbow Dash did in a race when she was a filly. It was seen by all of us, and Applejack too,” Twilight explained. “Speaking of which, where are they? I thought they wouldn’t want to miss out on a Sugarcube Corner breakfast.”

“Applejack’s busy getting some work done at Sweet Apple Acres this morning. She’ll be joining us later in the day,” Pinkie explained.

Fluttershy then added “And I’m sure Rainbow Dash is getting some rest right now.”

“Rest from what? Did it have anything to do with her bolting out of here last night?” asked the curious alicorn.

Rarity then explained “Yes, she began racing all around Ponyville for this Cosmo girl, but to no avail.”

Tails was surprised to hear this, given how the cyan pony was acting when he met the six ponies last night. “You mean, she went out to look for her for me? Did she find any find any kind of sign that Cosmo could’ve been here?” he asked.

A sad look fell on the three visiting ponies’ faces. Being told about it herself, Fluttershy replied “We’re sorry, Tails. It was just too dark to any of them to look. But don’t worry, because we’re picking up the search again right after our visit, asking every pony we can to try and help out.”

The news caused mix feelings in him. As sad as he was that there was no sign of her, he couldn’t have felt happier that he arrived somewhere with such wonderful help. “Thank you,” he said gratefully. “You have no idea how much it means to me to have people who I’ve just met give so much help to a stranger.”

“Think nothing of it. We’re always happy to help when somepo… I mean, someone needs it, and you seem like quite a kind young man,” said the white unicorn. She tried to say more, but she began to cough a little. “Oh my, my throat’s a little dry. Twilight, could I please trouble you for a glass of water?”

“Of course,” Twilight replied, “no trouble at all. I’ll go get some for all of us. It’s a shame Spike’s away or I’d ask him to do it.” She then walked out of the study to get some water.

“That water sounds good, actually,” Tails said. “Who is Spike, if you don’t mind me asking?”

“Spike’s a cute, little baby dragon that hatched from the egg from Twilight’s entry exam from her story from when she earned her cutie mark from when you asked about it,” explained Pinkie. “He’s off in Canterlot taking care of some royal business for Twilight with Princess Celestia.”

“You’ll get to meet him later. He’s coming back home sometime this evening,” added Fluttershy.

“Oh, ok,” said Tails.

His mind was compiling thoughts about this world, the places that were being mentioned, and the naming of others, but above all, Cosmo was still, as always, the name that rang in his head and sang in his heart the most. He knew he was stuck where he was for the time being, even if he had special techniques to get him around this new world, but until he got a better idea of where he was and what needed to be done, he would try to enjoy some time with these new pony friends of his. Twilight returned with drinks for everypony, and every fox, and they resumed with their breakfast and conversations. Continuing things, he asked “So, would you mind if I asked about who this princess of yours is, or would you like to know about some things from my world next?”