• Published 26th Mar 2014
  • 1,350 Views, 30 Comments

A Spark of Magic - Rammstein45



Sparks thought his only passion was for Fireworks. That all changed the day he bumped into a magical blue unicorn.

  • ...
7
 30
 1,350

When the Smoke Clears

(CHAPTER 4) WHEN THE SMOKE CLEARS

Glowing embers lay shimmering on the ground like a fiery snow. Smoke still filled the air around them as the two pyro ponies walked up and down the rows of mortar tubes. Sparks horn illuminated with a brilliant white light as he inspected each pipe to make sure every shell had launched, and he stomped out stray embers along the way. Firecracker did the same as he walked with a lantern. The air around them smelled heavily of soot and smoke.

From behind them, a stern voice called out, "That was an amazing firework show, boys!" Sparks and Firecracker turned and saw Storm Runner approach them.

"Hey thanks!" Firecracker called back. "Glad you liked it."

Storm Runner turned to his squad of pegasus guards and nodded his head. The ponies took off and began to flap their wings to clear the smoke away. As the skies were being cleared, Storm Runner continued, "Honestly though, you two should be proud, the Princesses were very impressed tonight. They both couldn't be happier with how entertained you made her guests."

The illumination spell on Sparks horn faded. "That's what we like to hear." Sparks told him, "It makes all of the hard work worth it."

Storm Runner looked at the two Stallions. They were covered from head to hoof in soot. Their protective gear could only cover so much of them during a show. The guard captain motioned over his shoulder, "When you two finish here, feel free to use the Royal Guards quarters if you want to get cleaned up."

"That sounds like heaven!" Firecracker commented as he shook out his ruffled feathers. "This heat was murder on us today."

Sparks agreed, "We're gonna definitely take you up on that offer. Once everything cools off and we get all of this taken down and loaded up you'll have to show us the way."

"My guards and myself would be happy to help you if you're in a hurry."

"Tired is more like it." Sparks said, "We've been at it since before the sun came up today. Now we're just ready to get some sleep."

Storm Runner nodded, "I completely understand."
_____________________________________________________________________________________

An hour had passed since the firework display ended. Sparks horn was aglow with his magic as he pulled nails out of the pieces of wood that held the mortar racks upright. After the long day of work, he couldn't wait until everything was loaded and he was on the train that would take him to his bed.

From across the field, the sounds of the Gala were in full swing. The echo of classical music mingled with the sounds of ponies talking and enjoying themselves. Sparks wondered if anypony was talking about his and Firecracker's fireworks. He wondered if Trixie had seen them, and the finale that he had set off just for her. He sighed as he pulled a nail out of a support board and separated a line of mortar racks. A thought came to him that he hadn't considered. He would be leaving Canterlot in a few hours. Leaving the Gala, and Trixie. He didn't know where she was from, or even a way to stay in touch with her. So many details that he had forgotten. Sparks mentally kicked himself.

All he could think at that moment was he was never going to see those bewitching amethyst eyes again. He sighed. "Well, it was nice while it lasted." He looked up toward the castle and debated on going inside to look for her. Looking down at himself he knew that wasn't possible. He was filthy from a day of work in the hot sun, and covered in dirty soot, and smelling of sweat and smoke. Even if he got inside, there's no way he could walk around in his current state. "She knows where I am..." He thought, "Maybe she'll come down and see me now that the show's over." It was a hopeful thought, but one that he didn't get his hopes up over.

A line of guards pulled up the large moving wagons. Firecracker grabbed a heavy mortar rack under each of his forelegs and flew them over to the cart. He called out, "Hey Sparks, you wanna help me get these loaded so we can get them back to the train?"

The blue unicorn shook his trance. "Yeah, coming." He called back. He trotted over to a very tired Firecracker and illuminated his horn. He levitated the mortars up onto the cart and lined them up into neat rows.

"We shouldn't be here much longer," Firecracker told him. "We got everything just about taken apart, if you load everything with your magic we should be done in no time."

"...Yeah."

Firecracker raised an eyebrow and looked at his friend. "What's with you?"

Sparks didn't try to hide anything this time, he didn't care at this point. "I was just hoping I could see her one more time before we go. At least to say goodbye."

"To your mare friend? So go do it!"

"She's in the Gala," Sparks argued, "I can't go in there looking like this!"

Firecracker shook his head, "So go get yourself cleaned up! Storm Runner offered you the guards showers."

"I can't yet, we still have too much to do here."

Firecracker slapped his hoof upside Sparks head. "Oh for ponies sake! You busted your rump off today, there's other unicorns here that can help me load up the tubes. I got my own mare back home, and you know I've been trying to help you find one. And guess what! You found one! Now get outta here before you blow your shot!"

"I don't have my pass anymore, I gave it to Trixie so she could get inside."

Firecracker rolled his eyes, he reached into his saddle bag and pulled out his pass. "Yes you do!" He said as he shoved the pass at Sparks chest.

Sparks smiled and held his hoof out. Firecracker bumped it. "You're a good friend." Sparks told him.

Firecracker grinned, "Yeah I know, now get lost! Go find your girl!"

The unicorn looked to Storm Runner and said, "I think I'll take you up on that shower offer now."
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Cool water rained down over Sparks mane. He welcomed the shower after being out in the sun all day. Using his magic, he levitated a bottle of shampoo and squirted it into his mane. Black soot ran off his body and down the drain as he cleaned himself off.

He washed himself as fast as he could. His only thoughts were getting into the Gala and finding Trixie. The thought of never seeing her again after tonight was maddening.

He rinsed the last of the soap from his body and did a quick once over on himself. All of the soot was gone, and his mane and tail were back to their bright blue and red sheen. He shut the water off and rushed to dry himself. A clock on the wall showed that it was nearing 11pm. He didn't have much time, the Gala ended at midnight.

With his coat for the most part was dry, he quickly brushed his mane and tail so that they were at least neat and presentable. The only thing he didn't have were the fancy clothes. He hoped it wouldn't matter. With one last look in the mirror, the unicorn took a deep breath and trotted out of the guards quarters and headed for the castle.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Keeping to a quick trot, Sparks went to the door where he helped Trixie get inside. No pony was around except for the two guards from earlier. He approached them and held out his pass. The guards looked at him and saw his firework cutie mark.

"Oh hey, you're the firework pony from earlier." One of the guards said. "Good job tonight."

"Thank you." Sparks said trying to keep the conversation short. He held his pass out for the guard to inspect. The guard cast the reveal spell and saw the holographic image of Celestia and Luna appear in his pass. They both stepped aside and said, "Enjoy your evening."

"Thanks." He said as he trotted passed.

Inside, Sparks found himself in a grand hallway that led to a flight of stairs. Without wasting time, he went up and found himself in a room that was absolutely crowded with guests. He looked around trying to find any hint of icy blue, but was immediately lost in a sea of fancy clothing. He tried to push his way inside, while being as polite as he could. He carefully moved through the crowd and saw a large glass panoramic door that led outside.

Sparks scooted his way through the crowed and stepped out onto a balcony. It was less crowded out here but still slightly difficult to move. The balcony over looked the North Field where he and Firecracker had set off the fireworks. He thought this was the same balcony where he thought he caught a glimpse of Trixie watching him. He turned and looked around, there was no sign of her. Sparks took a breath and headed back inside.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Over the crowd of people, Sparks could hear one of the castles many clock towers chime. He looked around and approached a posh Stallion in a tuxedo. "Excuse me," Sparks asked, "do you have the time."

The stallion pulled out a pocket watch, and with a heavy Trottingham accent said back, "It's 11:30." The Stallion then saw Sparks cutie mark. "I say," He continued, "was that you doing tonight's fireworks for this evening's festivities?"

Sparks who was rather eager to continue his search said back, "Yep, that was me."

"Capital show my boy!" the stallion replied, "I dare say it was the best display of fireworks I've seen in ages!"

"Hey thanks!" Sparks told him rather quickly, "Say, you haven't seen a blue mare with an icy blue mane wearing a big black, and purple witchy hat, have you?"

Looking confused, he replied, "I can't say that I have, then again I've seen so many ponies tonight I could have walked right passed her and not even noticed."

Sparks sighed, "Thanks."

"Good luck to you!" The stallion called back.

Each room seemed to grow larger and more crowded as his search continued. Sparks had checked at least a dozen of them and still had no luck. A few ponies told him that they had seen Trixie at some point during the night but none knew where she was now. A clock on the wall was showing that midnight was fast approaching. The feeling of desperation was beginning to get the better of him, and Sparks found himself not caring who he shoved passed or how rude he was seeming.

A voice then echoed through the castle halls as if carried by magic. It was the voice of Princess Celestia. "Mares and Gentlecolts! As tonight's festivities come to an end, let me be the first to thank you all for joining me here tonight. Truly the Grand Galloping Gala could not have happened~~~" Celestia's voice seemed to trail off. Sparks was out of time, and he found himself now running through the halls in a last ditch effort to find her.

He came to a circular room with a large rotunda that had been completely hoof painted with images of ponies flying in the heavens. Around him were large windows that overlooked the city. Out of the corner of his eye, down below he saw icy blue.

His heart seemed to skip a beat as he focused on her. He saw Trixie, standing outside in a line of ponies waiting to get on a large carriage. He saw ponies starting to climb on board. Sparks quickly turned and started running.

He tried his best not to knock anypony over as he desperately searched for stairs that would lead him outside. It was the one time he cursed himself for never learning teleport magic.

To his left he found what he was looking for. He saw a flight of stairs leading down, he didn't know where they went, but down was one step closer to his goal. He leaped down the first flight and then the second. When he was on the bottom floor of the castle his search began for an exit. Up ahead he saw a line of ponies as they were making their way out of the Gala. "Bingo!" He said to himself.

Slowing his pace he forced his way into the crowd. "Excuse me! Sorry! Coming though!" He said as he shoved his way outside.

He heard the distasteful remarks of ponies calling out in their posh voices, "How rude! Why I never! Some ponies just have no class!" He didn't care, they weren't his concern.

Once outside, Sparks looked around for any sign of Trixie. To his left he saw a line of carriages waiting to pick up passengers. He quickly ran over and looked around and saw no sign of her. Further down he saw red tail lanterns moving down the road away from the castle. It was still close enough to see who was riding on it, and inside illuminated by the Canterlot street lamps, he could see her icy blue mane hidden underneath her large witchy hat. "Trixie!" He called out as he took off running down the street.

"Wait! Stop!" He called out. His hooves pounding off the ground echoed along the street; however, as fast as he was running, it wasn't enough. The tail lights of the carriage began to get farther and farther away. Sparks mind raced with thoughts. This was his last chance to see her, and it was running away from him. He cursed under his heavy breaths as he ran full tilt. The lights of the carriage disappeared as it drove out of the city and towards one of Equestria's main roadways.

Sparks felt his hoof catch the road and the next thing he knew he was tumbling hard to the ground. He slid to a stop on his chest and felt a sharp sting in his knees. Canterlot seemed absolutely silent as he lay in the middle of the street. He knew his knees had been scraped open from sliding against the rough pavement. He could feel the burning, he just didn't care.

"So that's it..." Sparks thought, "She's gone..." With a sigh, the unicorn pounded his hoof off of the pavement and pulled himself off the ground. He knees stung from the road rash. He looked back and saw the blood forming on the wounds. Canterlot's clock tower chimed midnight. "It must not have been meant to be..."

The stallion felt defeated. He turned himself around and began his long walk across Canterlot to meet up with Firecracker. Each step he took stung from the wounds on his knees, and he fought to keep himself from limping. He was already emotionally hurt, no sense in his body hurting along with it. He just had to force himself to accept the fact that she was gone, and there was nothing he could do about it. He just had to accept the fact that he had to enjoy the time he had spent with her, even if it was short.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Back at the North Field, Firecracker was finishing up the last of the tear down for the firework display. He did his mental checklist. "All the mortar racks loaded and headed to the train, tools and equipment packed up, garbage and empty boxes in the pile for the cleanup crew... Looks good to me."

The pegasus heard hoof steps coming down the path. he turned and saw Sparks with his head hung low. "There you are! Did you find her...?"

He didn't need an answer, he knew Sparks long enough that he could tell just by his body language that it didn't go well. He trotted over to Sparks. His friends mane and tail were a mess, his knees were bloody from his fall, and his face spoke everything Firecracker needed to know. Firecracker let out a sigh and patted his hoof on his friends shoulder. "Everything's done here, let's just get back on the train and go home."

Sparks only answered with a nod, and the two started walking towards the train station.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

It was almost 3am by the time the train pulled back into Ponyville. Firecracker had fallen asleep as soon as he sat down in the passenger car. Sparks hadn't slept a wink, the entire trip he could only look out the window. Constant questions filled his mind. He wondered where she was, if she missed him as much as he missed her, and if he would ever see her again.

The hiss of the trains brakes woke Firecracker as they came to a stop at the Ponyville station. "Back already?" He asked with a yawn.

Sparks stood up and walked out onto the station platform. A stallion who worked on the freight platform approached him and said, "We'll have everything delivered to you by morning."

"That's fine." Sparks said with no enthusiasm. "Just leave everything at the front gate." Sparks pulled out a bag of gold bits from his saddle bag and levitated it over to the station worker. He tipped his hat at Sparks and went to work unloading the train cars.

"I'll be in late tomorrow." Sparks said to Firecracker. He was very monotone. "I'm really tired, and I'd like to get a good night's sleep. If you want to come in late tomorrow you can." Sparks didn't even wait for a reply.

Firecracker didn't say anything as he watched his friend head into the sleepy town and towards his home. With a sigh, the pegasus thanked the ponies at the station and flapped his wings. He took off and flew towards his own house. On his way he started to think about what happened with Sparks. Sparks had been his best friend since they were foals. Having known each other for so long, they both knew when one another was truly hurting. Sparks had never really been a ladies stallion. Truth be told, he was very shy around mares. He had been ever since Lyra turned him down back in middle school. Now that he found a girl tonight that he actually talked to, and was attracted to, only to have her taken away, Firecracker couldn't imagine how much his friend was hurting.

He then thought about the mare that he was interested in. They had gone on a few dates, and at this point it wasn't very serious, but he at least had somepony. It started to hit home about how much he still gawked at the mares he saw walking around town, and while he was at Canterlot. He realized just how much he had been taking for granted.

It seemed that both he and Sparks had a lot to think about.

Author's Note:

I just wanted to throw a thank you out to the people who sent me compliments and support over the passed few days. You guys are what keeps me going, and I hope you like everything so far.