• Published 26th Mar 2014
  • 1,350 Views, 30 Comments

A Spark of Magic - Rammstein45



Sparks thought his only passion was for Fireworks. That all changed the day he bumped into a magical blue unicorn.

  • ...
7
 30
 1,350

From the Ashes

Author's Note:

Just a quick note. I'm bumping the story rating up to Teen. I'm not making any serious changes with the rating, it's just so I can have a little more creative freedom without offending anyone... You know how some people are.

Anyway, Enjoy!

(CHAPTER 11) From the Ashes

“Warm…” That’s all Sparks could think as he felt himself coming back from the world of dreams. Last night as he went to bed, he felt the full force of his medicines side effect of the cold chills. It had taken him quite awhile to finally get himself to fall asleep, even though the medicine was supposed to make him tired very quickly. Still, he wasn’t complaining at the moment. His bed felt softer than normal, and much warmer. Had he used his magic to put an extra blanket over himself last night? …No, he didn’t remember doing that, unless he was just so out of it that he couldn’t recall. Yes, the more his mind raced with questions, the more he knew he was waking up.

With a light groan, Sparks turned over on his side. “Lilac.” That was strange, he didn’t recall having anything lilac scented in his room. He felt himself smile, he didn’t complain, he very much liked the smell of lilac; after all, it’s what Trixie smelled like.

The unicorn slowly opened his electric blue eyes. His vision blurred as he tried to finish waking himself up. He blinked a few times. “Icy blue…” That too was strange. His blankets were red, and there was nothing else that color in his room. He blinked a few more times trying to clear his vision. The more alert he became, the better he could see, and the stronger the smell of lilac’s grew. Finally he opened his eyes.

Lying right next to him; with her muzzle not even an inch away from his, was Trixie sound asleep. In the silence he could hear her gentle breathing and saw the blanket; which she had wrapped around herself, rising and falling with each breath.

The stallion’s eyes shot open. “Trix…!” was all he got out before he felt himself tumbling out of his bed and falling to the floor.

Trixie heard the thud. Her amethyst eyes fluttered open. She saw a hoof resting on the bed with the tip of a blue and red tail, the rest was on the floor. She gasped and quickly pulled herself up. “Sparks! Are you alright?!”

From down below the stallion lie on the floor half stunned. He could feel a headache returning as he rubbed his hoof off of the back of his head. With a groan he mumbled out, “Okay, that hurt.”

Trixie leapt off of the bed and went to his side. “Trixie’s so sorry!” She blurted out apologetically. “Trixie didn’t mean to startle you!” She knelt down and helped him back to his hooves.

Sparks groaned as he pulled himself off of the floor. “It’s alright. I was just surprised to see you I guess.”

Trixie could feel a fierce blush appearing as she realized her situation. “I'm sorry… It’s just that, you were shivering so bad last night even after I put an extra blanket over you.” She paused and looked away out of her own embarrassment. “I was just trying to help you get warm…”

“Well I was definitely comfortable this morning…” He said with a little bit of embarrassment. “A stallion could get used to that…” Instantly Sparks froze. He hadn’t realized it, but he was slowly starting to open up and be a little more “flirty” around Trixie. That still didn’t stop him from stealing a quick glance at her to make sure he hadn’t said anything creepy. Trixie shifted slightly, he could see a hint of a smile, and she fidgeted a little.

“Well, I’m glad I could help.” She paused and quickly turned around, “Trixie will go make you some breakfast!” She then quickly trotted out of his room. Sparks didn’t know what to make of the situation. He could only mentally kick himself.
______________________________________________________________________________

Once again, the weather was sunny. All of the rain clouds had passed, there was no more damp weather, and the song birds were out once again enchanting the town with their tune. Trixie made her way out onto the path towards the town market. This was her first time going willingly into Ponyville unescorted by anypony she knew. She didn’t have much of a choice. Sparks pantry was running low on even the most basic things. She knew that he couldn’t recover properly if he wasn’t eating right. Sparks insisted that he could go into town on his own to save her the trouble but Trixie wasn’t having any of it. He was still feeling less than okay, and he was still having trouble keeping his balance. He was definitely stubborn when it came to his manly chivalry. She had finally convinced him that she would do his shopping for him, though he did sincerely insist that she use his money to pay for everything.

None of this was a problem for her. She knew how to shop, this trip into town was no different; however, the rest Ponyville might not be so willing to make her day any easier. Truth be told, it made her a little nervous as she walked towards the market stalls. Her trying to keep a low profile was clear by her saddle bags riding a little further back on herself, trying to keep her cutie marks covered. She took a deep breath, mustered up her confidence, and began her errands.

With her magic, she levitated out a shopping list she had written. Along with the basic foods like fruits, and flour, she had a list of foods that were mainly used in heavy stews, mostly root vegetables like potatoes, carrots, and turnips. Sparks said he really enjoyed the potato soup she had made for him, and judging by the fact that Sparks was on the larger side from other stallions, he preferred heartier meals. Easy enough. Trixie had cooked those before, and she would boast that she was quite good at it.

Trixie stepped into the gathering crowd of ponies that swarmed the stalls. She preferred the crowd at the moment, it would help her stand out less. She looked around and saw her first stop. She saw a yellow earth pony with an autumn orange curled mane. She was at a stall that had the best looking carrot’s Trixie had ever seen. She didn’t know what it was about Ponyville, but for some reason, the food always looked better here than it did anywhere else in Equestria.

Trying her best to act unfamiliar, Trixie walked up to the stall. The pony working there seemed too busy with customers to really notice or care who she was. That was a relief. “Hello, need some carrots?” She asked with the sales pony touch to her voice, “Just picked them fresh this morning!”

With a light nod, Trixie said, “Yes please, one group is fine.”

“Sure thing, that’ll be 5 bits.”

Trixie’s horn lit up as she pulled out the coin pouch Sparks had given her. She levitated the coins onto the counter, then grabbed a group of 5 carrots and put them in her saddle bag. “Thank you very much.” She said as she moved on.

It was a small comfort knowing that it seemed the sales ponies were too busy peddling their wares to realize who she was. With that in mind, she looked at her list and saw potatoes as the next item. Now that Trixie was in the market and actually focused on a task, she started to forget about her worries and it seemed more like a normal routine to her. The icy blue sorceress looked around and saw a stall that had baskets of potatoes. With a quick trot, she maneuvered through the crowd and got in line. This time a gruff looking stallion greeted her. His coat was a pale brown, and his mane a messy chocolate color. He was clearly a farmer. He looked at Trixie, pausing for a moment. He had obviously recognized her. Still, keeping to his professionalism, he said in his normal tone, “Looking to buy some spuds, Miss?”

Trixie nodded, “Yes please. Trix…" she cleared her throat, "I would like 6 please.” She hoped she had caught herself in time. The last thing she needed was to say her name out loud in a crowded area where she wasn’t exactly considered a friend to many. She cursed herself for her habit of talking in the third person.

“Sure thing. 6 bits, and you can choose the one’s you want. Next!” Trixie quickly set her bits on the counter and choose the potatoes that looked worthy of her outstanding cooking.

With another item crossed off of her list she looked at the next item, Apples. This one made her slightly nervous. As far as Trixie knew, there was only one pony in this town that sold apples. Still, she had a slight bit of hope that another pony would be at the stall to help her.

When she located the stand selling apples she immediately saw the cowboy hat sitting atop a thick pony tailed mane of blonde hair. She wanted to forget the apples, and just not even bother with them. Still, Trixie had a small amount of pride left. She took a deep breath and walked forward.

“Thank ya kindly, y’all come back and see us tomorrow.” The unmistakable voice of the southern belle chimed as she thanked a customer for their business. Her back was turned as Trixie approached. She walked up to the counter and lightly cleared her throat to get her attention. “E-excuse me?” Trixie lightly said.

Applejack turned with a smile. “Well howdy, what can I get… Trixie?!” Applejacks’ smile suddenly went away, and the sound of her saying Trixie’s name out loud for the public to hear felt as if somepony had smashed a glass plate in a quiet room. Trixie lowered her head and ears out of reflex, hoping to Celestia that no pony cared she was around.

Applejack didn’t say anything, so Trixie did it for her, although in a less than loud voice. “Can Trixie buy some apples please?” The sorceress didn’t want to start a confrontation, or draw a crowd. She chose her words carefully today, and was right to the point with what she needed. Applejack caught this action and sighed to herself.

“Shucks, I’m sorry for actin’ so surprised, but you were the last pony I expected to see today.”

Trixie was a little surprised to say the least. Next to Rainbow Dash, Applejack was usually the one pony to try and start arguments with her. Surprisingly that argument never came. She paused then continued, “Trixie is just doing some shopping…”

Still feeling a bit ashamed of how she acted, Applejack took her hat off and rubbed her hoof on her mane. Not wanting to be rude, or to draw unwanted attention, she asked, “How many can I get yah?”

Trixie looked at her list and said, “Can Trixie get 4 sweet red’s please?”

“Sure thing.” Applejack told her with a new found calmness to her voice. “Let me pick out some nice ones for ya’. Trixie stood and waited, not really trying to draw attention to herself. Still, Applejack spoke. “Twilight told us all what happened, to yer’ home… What with all of the commotion it caused, just about every pony knows what happened.” Trixie’s eyes widened in shock as her mind was forced to relive the awful memory. “I just wanted to say that a’hm sorry that had to happen to you. A’h know we’ve had our differences, but that don’t mean I’d ever wish something like that to happen to you.”

“There’s nothing anypony can do about it now…” Trixie replied softly, “What’s done is done. Plus it seems that anytime something bad happens to me, somepony else ends up getting hurt.”

“Y’all are talking about the firework pony, right?” Applejack now had genuine concern in her voice. “Twilight said that she came to see you in the hospital after the fire. A’h don’t know much about what all happened, but it seemed that you finally found a pony that’ll help get you back on your hooves after all of this hardship.”

Not making eye contact, Trixie gave a light nod. “Sparks has been nothing but kind to Trixie.” She let out a muffled laugh of sarcasm, “You and I both know that I don’t deserve it.”

“Oh hush now!” Applejack scolded lightly. “Twilight said that you had changed. A’h didn’t really believe it at first, but now that a’hm talking to you, I think I can see what she means.” Applejack placed 4 gleaming red apples in front of Trixie. As the unicorn levitated them into her saddle bags, she continued, “Tell ya what Sugarcube, you just take those apples, they’re on the house.”

“Are you sure? Trixie can pay for them.”

“Don’t ya’ll worry about it, especially after how rude I was when I saw you. Plus, after everything that happened, it’s the least I can do.” Applejack tipped her hat respectfully as she spoke. “And if you need anything while you’re here, let me know, okay? The Apple family would be honored to help.”

This was definitely a welcomed change from her last visit. It gave Trixie a feeling of hope that maybe things were starting to turn in her favor, and for the better. Time heals all wounds was a phrase she had heard quite a few times from her grandmother when she was still a filly. For Trixie it seemed like that time was starting.

She thanked Applejack for the apples and the kind words. Leaving the apple stall, she again pulled out her shopping list and saw her next item was sweet bell peppers. There was only one pony Trixie knew of who sold those.

The unicorn weaved her way through the crowded market, still thankful that all of the ponies around her were too busy with their own shopping to notice her. Her amethyst eyes looked around while she tried to remember where Habanero's shop was set up. She still kept her head down and relied on her memory of where she had seen shops from her previous visit to the market instead of asking anypony else for directions. She saw the stand that sold strawberries to her left. She remembered that from the other day and continued on. Next was an older pony mare that sold hoof stitched quilts. Now she knew she was getting close.

She ducked in between two shop tents and cut in between the aisles. On the other side she saw the yellow canvas tent with the large shining red chili pepper on the sign. Below holding out a tray of samples was a pony with a fiery tail that came out of the back of a protective yellow suit.

"Step right up and send your taste buds on a journey with Hally Banero Pepperflakes the Third's latest and greatest addition to any home cooked meal, Deep South Neighjun pepper seasoning! Add that Pow! to you next pot of chili, or that special Bam! to your corn on the cob! Make your family practically beg you to cook dinner for every meal! Get your own bottle of seasoning for only two bits each!"

Trixie walked up to Habanero's booth. "Trixie might have to take you up on that offer. It sounds tasty."

"Hey you!" Hally chimed when she saw Trixie. She set her tray of samples down and stepped out of her booth and took her protective hood off. She giggled, "Sorry about that, I have a terrible capsaicin allergy. Just a whiff of any pepper would send me into a sneezing fit."

"That's a pretty contradicting allergy for a pony like you to have." Trixie said.

"Believe me, I hear it from everypony. I just love the family business you know. And I like to see the faces on ponies when they think their tough enough to try one of my super hot's." Hally looked around and said, "Speaking of burning ponies, how's sparks doing? Did he make it through the night?"

"It was rough night for him. That medicine the doctors gave him sent him into a shivering fit. Trixie had to keep him warm all night."

A mischievous grin instantly plastered itself on Habanero's face. "Oh really..." She chirped in her singsong voice. You kept him warm all night huh... How'd you manage that one?"

It instantly registered in Trixie's mind how she just worded what happened. She let out a gasp and shot back, "It-It's not like that! Sparks was shivering so badly last night that Trixie couldn't just leave him like that!"

Hally half lidded her eyes and in a seductive voice asked, "So how'd you keep the big Neanderthal warm? Did you snuggle up close under the covers?! Hold him close all night?!"

"N-No... Trixie just laid next to him all night. I kept him warm with my body heat through the blankets..."

Habanero sighed, "And that's it? Nothing else?"

"Nothing, honest. Trixie was just helping him stay warm so he could recover easier."

Hally smiled and looked at Trixie. With a friendly sigh she said back, "You kids. Just tell him already."

"...Tell him."

"Really Trixie? Not you too... Are you that blind?" Habanero told her as she would a friend who wanted to ask a colt out for a school dance.

Trixie paused. She knew. She just didn't know if she should act on it. "Trixie isn't blind. It's just... you know... Wouldn't it be too sudden?"

Habanero smiled. "Alright. I'll leave that one up to you two. Just make sure that pyro boy of yours gets better."

"Trixie's trying her best."

"Alright. So what can I get yah? Hot sauce? Screaming Fireballs? Hot pepper chewing gum?"

"Do you have any red sweet bell peppers?" Trixie asked knowing it was at the complete opposite end of the spectrum to what Hally was describing.

"...No pony ever wants my super hot's..." She pouted" Yeah, how many do you need Hon?"

"Three please. And I'll take one of your Neighjun seasoning bottles too, you made it sound so good."

Habanero put her protective hood and respirator back on and bagged of three of her finest red bells right along with the seasoning. "Here ya go sweetie." She said in her bubbly tone. "Anything else?"

"That's it. What do I owe you?"

"Take em'," She said, "They're food for Sparks, right? He can pay me back later."
______________________________________________________________________________

Two weeks had passed since the night of the fire. Sparks was finally starting to feel like his usual self again, and after much convincing with Firecracker that he was fine, he returned to work. Though he still found himself getting slight headaches from time to time, it wasn't nearly as bad as his first few nights back home.

Sparks stood outside of the warehouse where the mortar racks were stored. Inside, Firecracker was flying back and forth with a paper list in his mouth. "Hey Sawdust, I need 20 more of the 4 inch racks." He called out.

Down below stood a khaki colored unicorn with a light oak colored mane that lay flat against his ears. He pulled an empty wagon over and unhitched himself from it. "Alright." he called out as his horn began to glow. "Thanks again for teaching me this large scale levitation spell, Sparks. It beats having to move these things one at a time."

"Sure thing." Sparks commented as he walked inside the warehouse. "Are you two sure you don't want me to help at all?"

"Absolutely not!" Firecracker called out without looking up from his list. "You're finally feeling better, no point in overdoing it right when you get back on your hooves."

"I'm telling you, I feel fine now." Sparks huffed.

"Cool story bro!" Firecracker called back as he hefted two mortar racks under each foreleg. "You'll have to tell me more about it when I get back!"

Sparks wanted to argue, but Sawdust cut in. As he lined up the mortar racks in the cart he said, "He's right, Sparks. Just take it easy for a little while. We have this all under control."

The pyro pony sighed. He looked at Firecracker, "Are you going to be able to shoot this by yourself? We've always worked in tandem."

Firecracker landed on top of the cart and started hoof counting all of the mortar racks. "This shoot isn't that big. I have Sawdust here to help me with the setup and teardown. It'll take no longer than ten to fifteen minutes to set the whole thing off."

"But will you be able to keep the pace going without me?"

"Yeah, I'll just fly to each fuse instead of walking to them. I can pick up your slack. Besides, while I'm gone for the next few days, you can finish up all the shells we need for Shimmerwood for your parents anniversary party. We only have a week and a half left to get that one ready."

With an audible sigh, Sparks shrugged and admitted defeat. "Will you at least let me help you pull a cart or two to the train station?"

Firecracker finished counting and set his list inside a cardboard box. "Fine, but you're pulling the shell's. I don't want you straining with the heavy mortar racks."

"That's fine. I can't stand just watching you work and not being able to do anything."

It didn't take much longer for Firecracker to finish loading up everything he needed for his trip. The three stallions hooked themselves up to the large wagons and headed for the front gate. "100 total racks, all sizes, 850 shell's, box of flares, fire extinguisher, and safety gear..." Firecracker was openly calling out everything he needed to take with him. Without Sparks he was flying solo for the first time, with the Ponyville Firework Co. so new, he wasn't about to let a bad show caused by him ruin its reputation.

"You need to relax." Sparks told him. "The more you worry about it, the more mistakes you're gonna make. You have everything, we all checked before we left the warehouse."

Sawdust called out as he pulled his wagon up alongside Firecrackers, "I double checked too. You have nothing to worry about."

"Yeah, I'll calm down once we get to Featherville."

The three walked around the front office building and up to the gate. "Hey! Look who's here!" Sparks called out. Standing near the front gate talking to Feather Quill was Trixie and Habanero. The three mares turned and watched them approach. Habanero smiled and ran off towards Firecracker. With her usual bubbly personality, she leapt in the air and wrapped her hooves around Firecrackers neck.

"Well hi!" Firecracker said with a smile as he returned her affection.

"I wanted to come see you before you left." She chirped.

"Well I'm glad you did."

"Do you have everything you need? Enough bits for food and a room at an inn?"

"Yeah, everything's packed and ready for me."

"Alright. Can I walk with you to the train station? I won't be able to see you for 4 days."

"Sure!"

As Habanero continued to embrace Firecracker, Trixie put her hoof around Feather Quill's neck then looked at Sparks and called out, "Sparks, do you and Firecracker harass this poor mare?! She says you're always scaring her with your random explosions, and other pranks you do to her!"

"Oh all the time!" Firecracker cut in. "I'm a fan of popping paper bags behind her!" While the pegasus was telling the girls about his pranking history, Sparks reached in his saddle bag and pulled out a bottle rocket. These were special ones he made. He quickly activated his heat spell and his horn tip began to glow a bright red. He lit the fuse and held onto the long stick at the end of the rocket.

"Yeah... Firecrackers pranks are fun and all, but I prefer my method!" No sooner had he finished the sentence, there was a loud whistle as the bottle rocket zipped into the air and popped open with a loud bang!

Feather Quill felt her wings flare out at the sudden loud noise. She yelped in surprise and felt her hooves jump. After the commotion died down, the golden office worker pegasus caught her breath and looked at Trixie. "Like I said, it's like foal sitting for two little brats!"

"Come on Feather Quill," Sparks said with a smile, "You know we love you!"

The pegasus sighed. "Yes, yes, I know. You just have a bratty way of showing it."

"And that's why we pay you so well for putting up with us!" Firecracker added.

Trixie raised an eyebrow at Sparks, "You better be nice to her or Trixie will re-concuss you!"

"...Fine. We'll be good." Sparks told her while he pulled the cart of boxed up firework shells out of the front gate. "Are you girls gonna walk to the train station with us?"

"Nah, I see enough of you two during the day as it is." Feather Quill told them. "I'm going to finish up inside and head home so I can get dinner started for when my boys get home from school."

"Hey, your boys like the maple taffy bars that Featherville is known for, right? Want me to bring them a few boxes back?" Firecracker asked.

"Sure!" Feather Quill told him, "Those three will love you for it! I'll pay you for them when you get back, I know how expensive it is for the authentic Featherville maple taffy."

"No you won't." Firecracker told her, "Because I'm a good boss and I'm getting it as a gift. I may even get you something nice to put on your desk."

"But it's so expensive!"

"Sorry! Can't hear you!" Firecracker quipped. "I'm deaf from shooting off fireworks all the time!"

Feather Quill admitted her defeat. "Fine... Thank you. I'll see you when you get back on Monday." With that, the pegasus turned and headed back into her office to finish her tasks for the day.

The three stallions led the girls out of the front gate. Firecracker again started talking to himself, verbally listing off every item he needed to take with him, just to mentally assure himself that he had everything ready to go.

"I hope you brought something to preoccupy yourself with, Sawdust," Sparks announced, "because he'll be doing this for the entire train ride."

"Don't worry, I brought a book, and I know where the ear plugs are packed."

Sparks felt himself laughing with Sawdust while Firecracker still listed off everything, either to tune the two out, or he simply hadn't even heard or cared about their conversation. The unicorn saw Trixie's walk slow and then abruptly stop. Sparks strong legs forced the weight of the wagon full of firework shells to a halt. "Hey, what's up."

Trixie didn't reply at first. She turned herself away from Sparks and the others. "Hey," Habanero asked in her sweet voice, "everything alright, Trixie?"

Trixie raised a hoof as if she were about to take a step forward, but that step never happened. Her hoof raised again and froze as it hung above the dirt path with a slight tremble. By this point, Sawdust and even Firecracker stopped to see if everything was alright. Sparks unhooked himself from his wagon and walked over to her.

"Hey, what's wrong?" He asked with genuine concern.

The silence seemed to scream until Trixie finally uttered out. "Hey... Do you think... Trixie could go back and see what's left of her home?"

Sparks didn't really know what to say. Two weeks had passed since the fire, and up until this point, no pony, not even Trixie had brought it up. He found the words and said, "Yeah. We can go take a look." He left it at that. No -will you be okay with it- or -are you sure you really want too-. A freshly healed wound was about to be opened again once more, no point in making it worse.

"Yeah... I can walk you back." Sparks put on as much of a reassuring face as he could manage.

Trixie didn't say anything. She slowly started to make her way down the path that ran along the outer fence of their firework plant. Sparks looked back towards the others to see if they were coming along. Habanero without saying anything sat back on her haunches, and started motioning Sparks with her hooves to follow her. He didn't even get a chance to ask why they weren't coming along before Hally shot him a glare that said, "She needs you right now, not us!" Sparks gave her a quick nod then trotted away.
______________________________________________________________________________

The path around the outer edge of the PFC was typically a nice area. It was lined with mighty oak trees that seemed to form a natural wall from the rest of the world. The only sounds aside from the gentle thumps of the two unicorns hoofs on the dirt path, was the soft rush of wind that danced among the leaves around them.

The clearing where Trixie's caravan had been wasn't very far ahead. The first indication that they were close was the faint, but still lingering smell of smoke that clung to the area. If Sparks could smell it, no doubt Trixie could as well. "Are you sure you're ready?" He asked calmly.

"Trixie's hid from this spot for too long now. If I don't get it over with soon it's going to drive me insane."

"Alright." Sparks stayed close to her side as they approached the clearing. He led her passed the final opening between the last towering oak trees on the trail and he stood silent. Trixie didn't speak as she walked into the clearing. The smell of charred wood, hung like a heavy tapestry around the site.

Trixie without so much as a single word paused, only for the briefest moment as she saw the remains of her home for the first time. What was left of the frame stood charred and black. All of the small glass windows had shattered, most likely from the extreme heat or from the fireponies as they tried to stop the inferno. The roof was all but gone, save for a few beams of wood that had been reduced to charcoal. Around it the wheels were left partially untouched by the fires burning grasp near the ground, but were all but destroyed at the top.

She walked up to where her front door used to be. It had been moved out of the way, most likely from the fireponies who had forced the burning rubble aside to extinguish the blaze. Sparks watched as Trixie's horn began to glow. She levitated up what was left of the sign which had her cutie mark painted on it that had once hung above her door. Sparks slowly followed behind as Trixie made her way into way into what was left of the interior.

Inside smelled heavily of soot and ash. Sparks looked around and saw the destruction. The basic metal frame was all that remained of Trixie's bed, along with the thick backboard that had been burnt beyond recognition. A small bookshelf that once held Trixie's small collection of spell books was now nothing more than warped, blackened wood. No traces of the books remained. Her small vanity where she had spent her time making herself look beautiful for a performance was in the same state. Her stage makeup had been incinerated, and the oval shaped mirror was spider webbed with cracks and covered in a thick, burnt, black film.

Sparks looked at the floor where he had nearly burned to death. The rainstorm that had hit the other night had flooded it with ash that had dried into a thick burnt layer on the wooden floor.

He heard the sound of a small storage door that had been near the wall opposite to him being forced open. Trixie tried to pry it open with her hoof but failed. Her horn began to glow a pale purple but Sparks stopped her. "Let me get it." He said as his own horn illuminated and forced the charred wooden door open.

"Thanks..." She said quietly. Trixie knelt down and pulled out a small wooden box. The thin door that sealed away her items in the small compartment did a somewhat decent job to keep the damage down, still, the box Trixie pulled out wasn't free of damage. Trixie carefully opened the burnt brass latch and tipped back the soot damaged lid. Sparks couldn't see what was inside. He simply waited.

She let out a sigh. "Well, at least something survived..." Sparks raised an eyebrow. Trixie turned and gave a look that said that she was ready to head back outside.

The two walked back out into the clearing amongst the scattered rubble around the caravan. Trixie brushed her soot covered hooves off on the thick grass while she held the burnt wooden box firmly in her magical aura.

"Remember how you told me, that I should put everything about my past behind me and just start again? Well like Trixie's cloak and hat, there are a few things that Trixie can't bring herself to let go of." Her voice was very quiet as she spoke, and it had an ever more noticeable tremble to it. She sat down in the grass and pulled the burnt lid back. Sparks looked inside as she continued. "This caravan wasn't always mine you know. I told you how I was raised by my grandmother, well before she had me to take care of, she traveled around in this caravan, telling fortunes, doing tarot readings, earning bits by performing street magic, and overall helping out anypony she could in her travels." Trixie reached in the box and pulled out a picture that was heavily soot covered and water damaged from the fire hoses.

Sparks walked up to Trixie and sat down next to her. Trixie brushed off as much of the soot as she could and held the picture up in front of her eyes. "Jynx Lulamoon. The only pony who ever truly believed in Trixie's dream to become the greatest magician in all of Equestria." Sparks looked at the picture. It was old, faded black and white. She looked nearly identical to Trixie, nearly the same hair only with more sharp curls at the ends of her mane and tail, the same sassy eyes, and the same star covered cloak and hat that he had pulled from Trixie's burning home on that fateful night. She set the picture back down inside the box next to a small leather bound book with the same soot and water damage. She slowly closed the lid and held the box close to her chest.

"That caravan was my last true feeling of having my grandmother around me." Trixie's voice was now openly shaking. Her glassy eyes now openly letting out warm tears. "And now, all of it, everything that reminded Trixie of her, and helped Trixie keep trying her best is gone." Trixie's head hung low as she started to let out her first string of sobs that were accompanied by sharp breaths. Without a second thought Sparks wrapped his hooves around her tiny body and embraced her tightly while she cried. He wanted to say something, anything that would help to calm her down. "No." He thought to himself, "She needs this, she needs to get it all out." And that's exactly what he let her do.

He could feel her warm tears dripping onto his chest while she cried; he didn't care at all, if anything, it made him embrace her tighter. She buried her face into sparks neck and wailed. Sparks simply closed his eyes and lowered his muzzle onto her head while he stroked her mane.

"You've been through so much and had so many things pent up for so long." Sparks told her calmly. "You've had ponies ridicule you, call you hurtful things, and even destroyed your home." he felt her burry her face harder into his body, if that was even at all possible. "I know that you deserved none of it. Not the Trixie I know, not the Trixie that drove me insane for days after I thought I lost you forever, and not the Trixie who took care of me after I got hurt. No... You aren't the Trixie that everypony claims you are. Not now..., not anymore." Trixie's body shook hard against his body between her open sobs. It only made him embrace her tighter.

She cried in his embrace for several minutes before she even showed any signs of calming down. Finally, she managed to utter in her shaky voice, "You've been one of the only few ponies that ever gave Trixie kind words, and friendship." She inhaled sharply, "You, Firecracker, and Habanero. You four have done more for me in the past few days that Trixie never thought she would have happen in her entire lifetime."

"I told you," Sparks said calmly, "I don't know what happened to you before, I don't want to know, I just want you to move on, and I want to help you move on." Trixie nuzzled herself closer to him as she felt a small whimper escape her lips.

"And what happens when you find out about Trixie's past. The things I did, the ponies I've wronged. How can you be so nice to pony who's done such terrible things, a pony who nearly got you killed..." Sparks put a hoof to her lips and silenced her.

Trixie stopped speaking. She felt Sparks lean his embrace in, and he held his head next to hers. They both sat silent for a moment that to Sparks felt like an eternity. No more hiding from it, no more hiding from himself. Sparks leaned back and his electric blue eyes locked with her enchanting amethyst gaze. "Trixie, I could never hate a the pony that I love so much."

Trixie gasped and felt her heart skip a beat. Her eyes widened and she froze. Her body felt as though it too were on fire. "L-Love...!" She gasped out.

Sparks face held a stern glare, still focused deep into her eyes. "You've been my reason for getting up every morning since I met you. When I thought I would never see you again after the Gala, it felt like a part of me died that night. I don't think you realize how happy I truly was to see you when you showed up in Ponyville."

"...Sparks." She uttered between his words.

"You say that you're hated by so many ponies in this world, and you say that I could never forgive what the old you had done. Well, I want to help the new you in any way that I can. You aren't alone in this world Trixie. You have friends now, one's who will always be there for you." Sparks smiled genuinely at her. His true and honest feelings had finally broken out of their concrete prison and were flowing out. "And you have me, Trixie. You'll always have me. A stallion who will do anything he can to make you happy, and make sure that you're never sad. ...And you'll have a stallion that will love you until the end of time."

He watched as her tears returned. These one's were different. They were accompanied by a faint smile. She let out a sigh and looked into his eyes. Fighting off her urge to cry, she uttered out, "And Trixie was wondering if you were ever going to finally say it."

Sparks gave her a sheepish smile, "Was it that obvious?"

She felt a small laugh escape her, "Painfully." She said calmly as she moved forward and their lips connected. There was no shock between them, no surprise, Sparks wasn't even nervous for once. At that moment, time seemed to stop cold in its tracks and for all they knew, they were the only ponies that existed at that very moment.

From the tree line at the edge of the clearing behind one of the mighty oaks, Habanero stood with a smile on her lips as she leaned against one of the strong tree trunks. "Good job Sparks." She said half hushed.

From behind her Firecracker approached. "Hey there you are, are you almost ready, we're gonna be late..."

"Shhh!" She instructed sternly.

"What's up?" Firecracker walked up next to his special somepony and saw what she was looking at. "Well sweet Celestia..." He said to himself, "Good job, buddy."

Hally smiled at him. "Come on, let's leave them be."

"Hey, you were the one spying on them." Firecracker argued under his breath.

"Not spying, just supervising..." The two turned and walked down the path back to the front gate, if anything walking slightly closer together than normal.

Trixie and Sparks continued their embrace as they felt each other romantically for the first time. Trixie parted their lips, with her muzzle still practically touching his. Her eyes were closed and with a gentle sigh, she said back, "Trixie loves you too."