• Published 26th Mar 2014
  • 1,350 Views, 30 Comments

A Spark of Magic - Rammstein45



Sparks thought his only passion was for Fireworks. That all changed the day he bumped into a magical blue unicorn.

  • ...
7
 30
 1,350

Light Up the Night

(CHAPTER 3) LIGHT UP THE NIGHT

The clock tower chimed an elegant tune. Firecracker wiped a bead of sweat from his forehead and looked up. It was 7:30pm. They had 2 hours left until show time. He had 2 unopened boxes of shells left to load and then he was finished. The pegasus picked up a 5 inch shell and slid it down an empty mortar tube. This was the easy part. All of the hard manual labor was finished. Now it was just loading the tubes.

From across the field, he could see Sparks doing the same. Sparks often liked to use his hooves and keep the magic out of the way until he needed it. It was his way of making the work load fair for Firecracker. After all, simple levitation spells and other magic that would make the job go quicker wasn't exactly easy for a pegasus to do. He had told Sparks over and over that using magic wouldn't bother him; it would make the job go much faster in Firecracker's opinion. But, Sparks could be stubborn, and still insisted on evening the work load. Now seeing as how it was getting late and both were almost finished, Sparks started his levitation spell to get his last few boxes of firework shells loaded, that way he would have extra time to double check everything, and double check again. Sparks didn't mess around when show time was getting close.

Firecracker picked up his own pace. Quickly reading over the effects label on the shells to see what each firework would look like so he didn't double up two of the same kind. He had his own rhythm of loading and walking down the line of mortar tubes to keep his pace up; much like when he was setting them off. He saw one of the unopened boxes next to him glow with a blue aura then pop open.

"Let me help you with these last few boxes." Sparks said as he trotted over and levitated a few firework shells out of the box.

Firecracker grabbed another hoof full of shells by their fuses and kept his rhythm going. "Sure." He said back, "I'm just about finished here anyway."

As Firecracker loaded his row of mortar tubes he said, "Hey, why don't you light the finale tonight."

"But it's your turn to set it off." Sparks told him.

"I know, but your lady friend is going to be watching tonight."

Sparks paused for a moment and Firecracker continued. "You want to impress her, right?"

Sparks didn't really reply, he only gave a simple, shy nod.

Firecracker slid another firework down into an empty tube and continued, "Then what better way to wow her than by setting off a string of 500 shells?"

With a smile, Sparks walked up to Firecracker and held his hoof out. "Thanks, man." Sparks said as he and Firecracker did their trademark hoof bump.

"Hey, what are friends for."
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Sparks and Firecracker trotted through the rows of mortar racks triple checking to make sure everything was as it should be; making sure every tube was properly loaded, every fuse was out and ready to be lit, and the overall layout to make sure that no pony watching would get hurt.

"Looks good to me." Sparks commented as he did one last check on the finale.

Firecracker did one last trot down his rows and said back, "Looking good over here too, Boss."

Sparks quickly eyed through the string of fuses on the finale to make sure it would burn through the entire string of shells. As it was the first time he checked, everything was fine and ready to be set off. "We have a little bit of time before we shoot. I was going to run into town and get some snacks from one of the convenience stores. Did you want anything?"

Firecracker flapped his wings and flew several feet off the ground to do an aerial inspection of all of the mortar racks. He called down, "A fritter and some fizzy cider is fine." I'm still kinda full from earlier."

Sparks levitated his saddle bags onto his back and called back as he headed for town, "Alright, be back in a bit."

The sound of his hooves clopping off of the stone path echoed through the streets. Oddly enough, downtown Canterlot was all but deserted. Sparks looked up at one of the clocks on a building and saw that it was almost 8:30. Everypony was probably lined up to go inside the castle for the Gala. He didn't mind. His hooves were covered in soot from loading mortar tubes all evening and he wasn't exactly at his cleanest. In a city like this, he still felt self conscious about being so dirty among all the high society.

Finding a convenience store was easy enough. Canterlot was full of little shops that sold just about anything. His horn flashed a pale blue as he used his magic to open the door. A small bell chimed as he stepped inside and he was greeted by the clerk. "Evening." the clerk said.

"Hello." Came Sparks simple reply.

The unicorn walked down the first aisle; taking notice of the elaborate shelving, and grabbed a few small snacks for himself and Firecrackers fritter. "Jeez, even the convenience stores are fancy here..." He mumbled to himself.

He then quickly levitated two fizzy ciders out of a drink cooler and walked up to the counter. The clerk looked at Sparks and saw all of the soot on his blue coat. "Were you cleaning chimneys today?"

Sparks gave a small laugh and said back, "No, we've been setting up the fireworks for tonight. It can get a little dirty."

"Now that's an exciting job!" The clerk chimed as he bagged the items. "It beats standing behind this counter all day."

"I love it." Sparks said as he levitated his things into his saddle bag. "I get paid to blow things up."

The clerk laughed and said back, "I look forward to your fireworks tonight."

"Thanks, it's going to be a great show."

Sparks stepped out into the evening air and looked around. He still had some time before he had to be back at the firing site, he felt like taking a small walk around the town now that it was less crowded.

Most of the shops he saw were now closed with signs in their doors that read, "Closed for the Gala" Obviously most of the citizens of Canterlot would be there. Now that all the excitement of setting up the fireworks had died down, it made Sparks wonder what it would be like to actually go inside the most prestigious event in Equestria. It must be something to see everypony all dressed up and socializing with one another. An icy blue hue returned to his mind. A bashful smile came over his lips as he thought what it would be like to see Trixie in her Gala dress.

He shook his head to snap himself back to reality. "Celestia..." he groaned "it's like middle school all over again when I had that crush on Lyra."

Sparks walked down another street and saw that it was leading him towards the castle. He figured he would follow it then loop back around to the firing site. Up ahead, he began to see ponies standing outside and talking to one another, his guess was they were waiting to go inside the Gala. He walked up toward the crowd trying to avoid bumping into anypony and getting soot on their expensive clothing.

Up ahead at the castle, he could see several doors with lines of ponies. He could see them showing the guards their tickets to let them inside. Sparks found a road that ran alongside the castle and looked like would take him back to where he needed to go. The shops and bistros of Canterlot's streets were replaced with elaborate gardens that ran along the castles edge. Everything here looked pristine, and as if it were tended to by the most talented gardeners in Equestria, which they most likely were. A low whistle escaped his lips as he took in the scenery.

Up ahead, he saw another stairway leading into the castle with a smaller line of ponies. As he got closer, he saw one pony in particular that stood out. Sparks felt his heart skip a beat. He saw her sky blue coat and icy blue mane. Once he processed what he was seeing, he realized he also got his wish of seeing her in her Gala dress.

She had a large black witchy hat adorned with a powder purple bow. Her dress matched it. A form fitting purple saddle adorned with white lace led into a flowing black and purple gown adorned with thousands of glittering silver sequins. To say she looked stunning was an understatement. To Sparks, no mare looked as good as she did right now.

As he got closer he noticed something. She appeared to be arguing with the door guard. Sparks raised an eyebrow and slowed to a stop to see if he could hear what was going on. They were too far away to hear clearly. He could only hear their muffled voices. It didn't take long before another guard came out and drove her away. "What the..." Sparks said to no one in particular.

He saw Trixie quickly trot down the stairs and head towards one of the gardens. Without even thinking, Sparks found himself heading in her direction. As he got closer to the garden, he could hear the sounds of soft crying. The unicorn walked through the gate and looked around. He saw her sitting on a small bench overlooking a pond. Sparks hesitated. He had no idea what had happened or even if she wanted to talk to anypony at the moment. Still, this was the unicorn that he hadn't been able to get out of his mind all day. He couldn't leave her like this.

He approached her and opened his mouth but no words came out. He quickly recollected himself and tried again. "...Trixie? Is everything okay?" He heard her gasp in surprise. She quickly turned and looked at him. She looked very upset and her mascara was running from her flow of tears. She quickly tried to hide the fact that she was crying and the shock that someone had seen her in this state.

"Sparks!" She called out in surprise. "What are you doing here? I thought you were doing the fireworks for tonight."

"I had some free time and was taking a quick walk before the show," He explained calmly, "but then I saw those guards harassing you. Is everything alright?"

Trixie let out a shaky sigh as she wiped her tears from her delicate face. "They wouldn't let Trixie in the Gala..."

"Why not?!"

Trixie held out her Gala ticket. Her horn then began to glow a pale purple and then flashed blue. "Do you see?" She asked with a sorrow filled anger in her voice, "When you hold a Gala ticket up to a reveal spell, a glowing picture of Celestia appears in the ticket. Tell me what you see."

Sparks looked at the Gala ticket. No image of Celestia appeared. He didn't have the words to give her. He could only imagine how much this crushed her.

The fake ticket was then crushed into a crumpled ball by Trixie's magic. "I spent nearly everything I had on this ticket..." She uttered as her tears returned. "I barely had enough money left over for food once I bought this and my Gala Dress. And now it's all for nothing."

Sparks went over to the bench and sat next to her. He wanted to tell her something to cheer her up, anything to make her stop crying, but nothing he could think of felt like it would do her justice. He felt her head lean on his shoulder as she cried. "I'm going to get your dress all dirty with soot if you lean on me." He told her calmly.

"What's the point?" She uttered through her soft cries, "It's useless now." Sparks couldn't find any words of comfort to make her feel better about her situation. He simply put his hoof around her and held her. He knew how much girls loved events like this and all the trouble they would go through to make themselves look perfect for them. He couldn't imagine the devastation she was feeling of being denied something that she had been looking forward to for who knows how long.

He heard her sigh, then her soft words of, "Why do bad things always happen to Trixie?" He wasn't sure if she was talking to him or simply herself.

"That can't be true." He told her calmly, "There's no way bad things can always be happening to a girl like you. You're too nice for that." Sparks felt his mind mentally kick itself. "Real smooth Romeo!" Sparks never was one for lady killing one liners.

Trixie's crying slowed and she let out a very quiet, small laugh. "That's nice of you to say, but you don't know the half of what I've been through... The ridicule, the humiliation, being driven away from everywhere I've tried to call home..."

Sparks didn't say anything. He couldn't imagine a mare as pretty as Trixie ever having such a difficult life. If anything, he figured she would be the type of girl who would have absolutely no problem at all fitting in wherever she went. His curiosity wanted to know what had happened to her, but his logic told him not to pry into her past. The two simply sat together, not saying anything.

Ordinarily, Sparks would be doing back flips in his mind over the fact that he was sitting next to the pony that had been driving him mad all day, but now he could only feel pity for her. She gave up so much just so she could enjoy herself for one night at the Gala. The one event in all of Equestria that anypony would give just about anything for simply to attend. The thought sickened Sparks that Storm Runner had given him and Firecracker the equivalent of a V.I.P. pass earlier in the day so they had no problems walking into areas of the castle that were typically off limits.

It was like a panel of glass shattered in his mind. "My Pass!" Sparks yelled out in his mind, "I really am that stupid!" He quickly stood up and turned towards Trixie.

"Sparks?" She asked while wiping her eyes. "What's wrong?"

A suave smile appeared on the Stallions lips. He levitated a clean, white cloth out of his saddle bag and began to gently wipe the streams of tears and mascara from Trixie's cheeks. "Let's get you cleaned up, you can't enjoy yourself tonight if you look so upset."

Trixie was confused. "What are you talking about?"

"You'll see." Sparks told her, "Hurry up and fix your makeup, then get your hat back on."

"Sparks, I don't understand..."

Sparks held his hoof out to silence her. He then used his magic to smooth her dress out, simply smiled and said, "Just fix your makeup real quick."

Still confused, Trixie used her magic to clean her face and redo her makeup to make herself look at least presentable again. As soon as she finished, she felt Sparks take her by the hoof and started leading her down the path towards one of the rear entrances of the castle. The two walked through a gate and approached two of the guards that were standing in front of the door.

"Sparks! What are you doing?!" Trixie quietly argued, "They're going to tell us the same thing, my ticket is no good!"

Sparks looked at Trixie and said back with a chivalrous smile, "Your ticket may be fake, but mine isn't."

Before Trixie could retaliate, Sparks approached the two guards. He opened his saddle bag and levitated out the Pass that Storm Runner had given him. "Excuse me, I'm Sparks, I'll be doing the fireworks for the Gala tonight."

A guard cut him off, "And..?"

"And..." Sparks continued, "My marefriend here left her Gala ticket with me while she was busy in town getting ready for tonight, but because I was so busy with getting the fireworks ready for tonight, I somehow along the way misplaced her Gala ticket." Sparks then levitated his V.I.P. Pass over to the guard and said, "Storm Runner gave me this earlier in the day. He said I could use it to get to the off limits areas of Canterlot, mainly back to our firing site for the fireworks show tonight. He even told me that I could use this for getting inside the Gala. So because this is all my fault, and because I won't be able to get inside the Gala tonight anyway because of the firework show, I want her to take this so she can get in. I would really hate for her to miss the Gala because of my own stupid mistake." Trixie's eyes lit up, she couldn't believe what was happening.

The guard eyed up the pass and did the spell to see if the pass was in fact real. With his horn glowing, an image of both Princess Celestia, and Princess Luna appeared. The pass was definitely the real deal. "And you say Commander Storm Runner gave this to you."

"That's right." Sparks said as a matter of factly.

The guard shifted, he didn't really want to have an angry Storm Runner on his flank for turning away one of his V.I.P.'s, he then cleared his throat and opened the door. "Enjoy yourselves tonight."

Sparks looked at Trixie and winked at her. "Looks like your luck has turned around tonight."

Trixie could feel tears returning to her eyes, only this time they were tears of joy. She leapt forward and wrapped her hooves around Sparks neck. "Thank you so much! You have no idea how much this means to Trixie!"

Sparks felt a full body chill run down his spine as she embraced him, and he liked it. The feel of her silky smooth coat around his neck, and her mane smelling of lilacs drove him crazy. He mentally slapped himself out of his trance and said back, "Well I couldn't just leave you like that, I had to do something. I wasn't even going to use that pass to get into the Gala anyway."

Trixie loosened her embrace and looked at Sparks with her deep amethyst eyes. A kind smile appeared and she said back, "I can't thank you enough." She told him calmly. "I thought this would be another disaster to add to my list of bad luck, but then like magic, you showed up and saved the day."

It was getting harder for the stallion to hide his bashfulness. He rubbed the back of his neck with his hoof and shyly said, "I just didn't want to see you so upset. I couldn't just leave you there."

Trixie lowered her eyelids into an almost bewitching stare. With a light laugh, she said back calmly, "And I'm glad you didn't." She then leaned in and gave Sparks a small kiss on his cheek.

He instantly froze, and couldn't bring himself to react, although his mind screamed with excitement. "Sweet Celestia! Did that just happen?!" It was the second time in his life he had ever experienced a full body lock up like this. Not that he was at all complaining.

With a smile, Trixie stepped back and said, "I can't thank you enough, I really can't." As she turned to head for the entrance into the Gala, Sparks broke loose from his shock and called out rather clumsily, "Trixie!" The icy blue unicorn turned to face him, Sparks stammered for the words but eventually blurted out, "You look really good in that dress!"

She giggled at his clumsy compliment. "Well thank you. I'm going to one of the balcony's so I can have a front row seat for your fireworks. Trixie is looking forward to them." And with that she turned and walked inside.

The door leading inside the castle closed and Sparks stood motionless. He felt like he weighed a thousand pounds and couldn't force himself to move. His mind was overflowing with constant thoughts of icy blue. Suddenly, he felt his adrenaline pump, and he felt himself leap into the air and slap his back hooves together, "YES!" He called out triumphantly!

He did a few tapping dance beats of his hooves off of the path before hopping back into a trot and making his way back to the firing site. He definitely had his motivation back, and it gave him all the more reason to make sure tonight's fireworks were perfect.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Trixie looked at the distant clock tower, it was 9:25, and in a few minutes she would have her front row seat to see Spark's firework display. In fact as soon as she stepped inside the castle the first thing she did was make her way up to one of the balcony's that over looked the north field. When she had first stepped out onto the balcony a short time ago, it was still light enough outside for her to see the entire set up that Sparks and his friend had brought with them. She could see the lines of black mortar tubes in rows that covered nearly the entire area. He wasn't kidding when he said not to miss it.

A little while after she found her spot, she saw Sparks walk out onto the field and go over to his pegasus friend, Trixie still didn't know his name. The balcony was close enough that she could clearly see the two of them. She saw Sparks walk up to his friend and immediately it looked like they were talking. She could see sparks waving his hoofs around excitedly and then motion to his cheek. She then saw the two stallions bump hooves. She instantly knew that he was telling his friend about what had happened and how excited it made him. He didn't openly show it at the time it had happened, but Trixie knew better. She knew when a stallion had an eye for her. Ordinarily it was something she would immediately brush away. She had been hurt to many times before by other ponies who wanted her around for nothing more than a show piece to brag about, but for some reason, to her Sparks seemed different from all the others.

She hadn't spent much time with him other than their chance encounters, but in those short periods of time, he was very kind to her. Especially when he came to her rescue over her Gala ticket. He willingly helped her when she was in trouble, and gave up his own pass so that she could enjoy herself, and he asked for nothing in return, only that she watched his fireworks. She couldn't very well deny him that. Trixie felt a small warmth come across her face as she blushed slightly as she thought about him. "He's not half bad to look at either." She thought.

The clock tower chimed its elegant tune as it struck 9:30. From down below on the field, Trixie could make out the silhouettes of the two stallions. "Show time." She said to herself.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Sparks put on a pair of safety goggles, and put in his ear plugs. He and Firecracker pulled their safety gear from their saddle bags. They both slipped into their bright orange, fireproof coats to protect them from embers and burning debris, and put on their hard hats. Both did one last check to make sure only they were in the firing zone. Everything looked clear. Firecracker too put his own ear plugs in then pulled out a long red stick from a box that read "Flares". He took one of the flairs into his grip and walked over to Sparks.

"Alright," Sparks said as he readied to start the show, "I'll light the opening string of shells, then I want you to start going down the rows of 4, and 5 inch shells, once those are gone we'll both move up to the bigger ones. I'll be doing the same on my side until we meet in the center row before the finale. Stay in rhythm and holler out of there's any problems."

"You got it." Firecracker called back as he held his flare up to Sparks horn. "I'll be bouncing back and forth between the shells and the Romane candles."

Sparks horn began to glow a bright red as he started his heat spell. "Sounds good, let's blow this thing!" Firecracker's flare ignited and burned in the same brilliant red sheen as sparks horn.

From up above in the balcony, Trixie could see the two glowing red orbs moving across the field. She felt her heart begin to flutter with excitement. There was a string of bright flashes in the entire color spectrum followed by a line of loud pops and booms.

Down below, Sparks had lit the show opener, a line of Romane candles that burned down a line across the entire field of ever changing color. The string burned down and ignited a line of 3 mortar racks that were loaded with loud, brightly flashing salutes that sailed into the air with shimmering, silver tails. Both Sparks and Firecracker ran over to their first lines of mortar's and set to work.

Canterlot pulsed with loud booms, and brightly colored flashes. Down below, Firecracker was moving through his first line. Quickly lighting individual fuses then getting himself out of the way before the shell blast off into the sky. He had little to no time to move before the shell would launch. Every fuse he lit, he would immediately feel the hard concussion on his body as he got out of the way. He never let it distract him, he couldn't. He had to keep his rhythm moving right along with the show.

Across the field, Sparks was moving right along with his line of shells. Above, the fluttering colors danced brilliantly in the sky, sending thunderous booms through the city. He quickly looked up and saw Firecracker lighting his first string of Romane candles. The strings took about 30 seconds to a minute to burn entirely through. It gave both himself and Firecracker a short window of breathing room to move on to their next line of mortar racks.

"Looking good!" Sparks called out.

He heard Firecracker shout back, "Always does!"

With his first line of mortar tubes set off, Sparks dashed over to his second line. Each row of mortar tubes was taking the stallions about 10 minutes to move through. He touched his glowing horn to the first fuse and ducked away right as the shell launched into the sky with its brilliant shimmering tail, before finally bursting open into a fluttering, blooming willow.

Trixie stood in awe at the display. The real fireworks were so much more spectacular to watch than the spell cast ones. The dull thumping of the shells lift charges pulsed around her before they were replaced by their concussive booms and brilliant blooming effects.

She saw both Sparks and his friend rush towards different lines of mortar tubes and light the fuses. Simultaneously strings of 10 shells launched into the sky and bloom open into different, colorful shapes. First were different colored star shapes. Another string of 10 launched, these ones broke into brilliant red heart shapes. A third string then launched with a loud crackling whistle. On Sparks side, his shells broke open into dazzling sun shapes, while on the other side that his friend was on, broke open into brilliant blue moons. A homage to their beloved princesses.

"Move to the big shells!" Firecracker called out as he quickly lit another string of Romane candles to give him and Sparks a quick break.

Firecracker trotted up to the line of larger 6 inch mortars that ran adjacent to Sparks. He saw Sparks light the first fuse in his own line. The fuse lit and the shell ignited. There was the loud concussion of the lift charge, immediately followed by a bright flash and burning orbs of color exploding out only about 10 feet above their head. Burning shrapnel rained down on the two pyro ponies. Firecracker immediately shielded his head from the close explosion.

From up above on the balcony, Trixie saw the shell break open at what looked like was right on the ground. She then in the light of the explosion saw Sparks get blown off of his hooves and tumble to the ground. She knew enough about fireworks to know that something had gone wrong. Fireworks like this weren't supposed to detonate that low. She instantly felt herself gasp as she looked on and hoped that Sparks was alright.

Firecracker brought his hoof down from shielding his face from the blast. "Sparks!" he called out, "You alright?!"

On the other side of Firecrackers line of mortar tubes, Sparks groaned as he pulled himself off of the ground. He quickly shook his head to clear his daze and put his safety goggles back on. "I'm good." He called out as he reignited his heat spell. With his horn glowing a brilliant red he continued down his line.

"First dud shell we had tonight!" Firecracker called out with a laugh.

"Yeah!" Sparks called back with a grin, "You can have the next one! That's 2 times in a row it's happened to me, I don't feel like getting blown off my hooves again."

Firecracker laughed to himself, "Deal!"

While what had just happened looked serious, it was all a part of setting off the real black powder fireworks. Sometime's a shell would be made wrong, or simply have a bad fuse causing it to blow up much sooner than it was supposed to. The same incident had happened to both Firecracker and Sparks many times before, and it would certainly happen to both of them again. But, when it did happen, you simply picked yourself up and kept the show going.

From back up in the balcony, Trixie felt herself sigh with relief when she saw both ponies down below continue with their display. Being so close to the explosions as they were down on the field, she didn't know if something had gone terribly wrong and one of them was seriously hurt. Thank Celestia that wasn't the case.

Above her in the sky, brilliant flashes of color continued to dance with their hypnotic flashing and thunderous booms. Trixie was completely entranced.

Sparks picked up his pace, lighting fuses more quickly so he could finish this last row of shells then get over to the finale in time to set it off without breaking the shows rhythm. Firecracker slowed his pace slightly to give Sparks his extra time window.

Both were nearing the end of the line. "How many do you have left?" Sparks shouted over the deafening booms.

"Around 25 more to set off." Firecracker shouted back.

"Alright," Sparks called out, "Leave those, light that last string of Romane candles then rush back and set off those last few with them and the finale."

"Got it boss!"

Sparks set his pace and set off his last few 6 inch shells while Firecracker ran to light the Romane candles. Once the candles were lit and started to dance up into the sky in their brilliant rainbow of color, Sparks ran over to the finale, while Firecracker went back to launch his last few.

While the colors of the fireworks danced around him, Sparks quickly looked up towards the castle and saw a large balcony. In the brilliant light of the fireworks, he thought he caught a glimpse of icy blue. He didn't know if it was her, she was too far away to tell, but he hoped it was her watching. As the line of roman candles ended along with Firecrackers last few shells, he smiled and said to himself, "This finale's for you, Trixie."

"Light it up, Sparks!" the pegasus called out as he set off his last few shells.

His horn touched the black fuse and it instantly burned down towards the first of 500 shells that made up the finale. He and Firecracker stood back and watched as the fuse rapidly began to burn through, sending up a massive barrage of color and booms. Canterlot was absolutely aglow with brilliant flashing color. Shells rocketed into the sky in an orange cloud of embers that rained down onto the ground.

The fuse then burned down to the massive 8, 10, and 12 inch shells. They all launched into the air with a thunderous concussion and bloomed open in the sky in a fluttering shower of multicolor. Finally the show ended with 10 strings of brightly flashing salutes to end the show with their thunderous bangs.

The noise died down and the night again went dark. The sound of explosives were replaced by the sounds of cheering and clapping.

With his horn still glowing a brilliant red from the heat spell, and Firecracker still holding his burning flare, the two stood next to each other. Firecracker waved his flare at the crowd, and Sparks rocked his head back and forth to make his own orb of magic move.

With smiles on their faces, Sparks turned off his heat spell and pulled out his ear plugs. "Job well done, buddy!" He said to Firecracker as the two bumped hooves.

"Always doing what we do best!"

The two turned and looked at the field. It was choked with smoke and the thousands of glowing embers lying on the ground around the mortar tubes. It always looked like a warzone after they shot a show.

"You think she liked them?" Sparks asked.

Firecracker smacked his hoof off of his friends shoulder, "Of course she did! They were our fireworks, so they were awesome."

From back up on the balcony, Trixie was applauding and cheering right along with the rest of the crowd and she couldn't stop smiling. She had seen fireworks before, even a few of the non spell cast black powder firework shows like this one, but to her, this one stood out above all the others. Not because of the atmosphere of the Gala, or the intensity of the show, but because He was the one that set them off.

Author's Note:

I hope your all enjoying it so far. I've been doing fireworks professionally for 4 years now, it's nothing short of my passion and I wanted to share that with this story. Also, you should check out some behind the scenes videos of fireworks. It's very cool to see.