• Published 15th Mar 2014
  • 692 Views, 4 Comments

Fallout: New Pegasus - markhaox14



Lost. Damned. Left for dead in the San Palomino Desert, a simple courier will make his way across the dry wastelands to finish his delivery. But the wastes alone are not the danger...

  • ...
3
 4
 692

Decline

{BEGIN DAY 5 TRANSMISSION}

Day 5, July 28th

0507 Hours

I groaned as I felt something making small noises constantly. I placed my pillow over my head, thinking someone dropped some bits or something. However, the continuance of these tiny scattering pests continued without pause. I sighed in a bit of anger, my sleep now officially ruined. I stood up groggily, my eyes still capable in the darkness as dawn approached. I stumbled to the curtains inside the room, drew them back, and found the source of the noise. Something was tapping against the window... but I couldn't see it. However... that wasn't all I couldn't see. I squinted, trying to look through it, but to no avail. It was like a thick shroud was covering us... and it wasn't the blanket of night. No... whatever was going on... it blocked out the incoming sunlight in the horizon. But... was it responsible for those little noises on the window? I wondered if it was smart to open the window, but overall decided against it. I turned back to Willow and AJ, both holding each other close like siblings.

"That's... heh... that's kinda adorable," I whispered to myself.

I really hoped they wouldn't wake up soon. Seeing them like this almost made me forget they were trying to go at each other... almost... I sighed a bit, and just shook it off. We had to get past Appleloosa if we wanted to reach New Pegasus. I left my room, noticing most of the Grand Army warriors still resting in their cots. The only exception was the stallion in command, who watched through a window the perimeter of the Ranch. He glimpsed at me but immediately went back to his window. "Storm's coming... and hell's coming with it..."

"What's going on?"

He continued to watch a bit, before shutting the blinds attached to the window. "Sandstorms. Myths... legends... all of them circle around these blinding storms..."

I probably didn't want to hear this. "How long do you think it'll last?"

He shrugged, his nostrils blasting out air in preponderance. "I'm not sure... but that's the least of concern."

OK... I really did not want to hear this. "Should we leave? Or... stay? I'm not entirely familiar with being covered head to hoof in sand."

"Mmm... you'd do best to stay indoors."

I had no problem with that. I simply trotted back into my room and laid on the bed. While I couldn't sleep anymore, I guessed the next best thing was to simply stare up at the ceiling. It seemed rather higher up than I imagined. I reached my hood upwards, trying to grasp at something that was invisible to me. But... I couldn't reach it... as I felt my right wing brush against the bed sheets, I felt like I'd never reach it... I merely closed my wing, continuing to stare up at the ceiling with morosity.

I started hearing a few thuds hit the wall, turning to them. I twitched my head a bit, pointing my ears in the direction I heard them. They moved along the wall, before stopping. What was that…?

I slinked off the bed, noticing AJ and Willow still sound asleep. I remember conflicting whether to wake them or not. I nodded as I decided, trotting to both. I tapped Shining on her shoulder.

“Psst… Willow… wake up…” She didn’t seem to budge. I then pondered a bit, before glancing at her horn. Hmm… if pegasi have sensitive wings… does that mean unicorns have sensitive horns? I unsheathed my wing, neared it towards her horn, and flicked her horn.

She woke with a startle, her horn glowing suddenly yet dimly. After a moment the light faded, and she turned to me with a glare. “Five… five more minutes… is that so much to ask?”

“Willow, there’s something out there… outside…”

She sat up a bit, her ears pricked up. After a moment, she slowly reached for her rifle. "First... when I say so... I want you to book it through the window on the opposite side."

"Willow... what's going on...?"

She continued ignoring me, trotting to AJ and knocking on her shell. After a moment AJ's eyes flickered green, before turning yellow upon seeing Willow. "Oh... bless her heart, the caravan runner..."

"I don't need your pettiness now, Southern Bitch. We've got trouble. Descension."

AJ immediately stood up, turning to me as she readied her plasma caster. "First, you'll need to listen to me. On her go, we'll leave this place. Do you understand?"

"Wait a minute, the officer here said-"

"Now!" Willow didn't give me a chance to finish as she used the butt of her rifle to bash a window on the south end of the room with a smash. As soon as she did, she dove out through it, disappearing in the sand. AJ followed a few seconds after. What the fuck was going on? I don't know what they were thinking, but I for one was staying indoors.

One of the Grand Army soldiers burst into my room. "What was that!?"

"Nothing, just my friends being-" Another loud smash rang in my ears madly, as the window on the north side of the room shattered. As soon as it did, I saw something intrude into the room, and as soon as I saw it, I recognized it as the barrel of a gun.

"Get down!" The soldier shoved me to the ground, landing a second later as a burst of fire brightened the room and sharp bangs pounded in my ears. As I covered my head with my hooves, I heard the slights crackles of glass shards breaking, wood splintering, and bullets landing into the walls with thuds as I merely cowered. After a moment, the rain of fire ceased, before more crackling as I heard clear yet subtle hoofsteps approach me. I glanced to my side only a peek, turning to the soldier. As he raised his head up as well, a sudden bang disturbed the silence, followed by a shot hitting the back of his next. I heard him choking, struggling to breathe as he coughed up a bit of blood, before I gazed at him in terror, watching the light fade from his eyes.

Immediately afterwards, I felt myself jerked upwards, lifted by my wing. I winced a bit, my eyes cast onto a unicorn, clad in darkened and gray metal across his body. So much that the only part of the unicorn's body I could see was their horn. The unicorn's eyes, veiled by a pitch black visor, slowly raised his hoof, holding a large revolver in it. After, he slammed it down quickly towards me-

{TRANSMISSION INTERRUPTED. USER ERROR. TRANSMISSION OFFLINE.}

{CONTINUING TRANSMISSION. USER FRIENDLY INTERFACE RESTORED. TRANSMISSION ONLINE.}

0614 Hours

...I felt my eyes slowly opening, feeling something rough scratch along my back. The scratching moved up my back, but continued along as a new pattern of it creeped along...

My eyes were halfway closed... I couldn't tell what was going on... where I was...?

I groaned a bit, before I regained a bit more feeling. As I did, I felt something tugging my leg, as if dragging me. As my eyes opened more, I saw a clouded sky, as if I were on my back.

After a moment, I realized I was on my back, and I was being dragged. Where to... I didn't know. Where I was... I didn't know. All I know was that it was sandy and rocky, feeling both grains and pebbles roughly scratch and poke against my spine.

I winced as feeling came back to me, feeling a buzzing pain on my forehead and a soreness across my back. I struggled to not make any sound, glancing at my hind legs. Both were being pulled by the same unicorn from before, trudging onward without stopping. I didn't know where he was taking me, but after witnessing that NLR soldier die right in front of me, I didn't want to find out.

I glanced at my Pip-Boy, tapped the items button as quietly as I could. I stopped for a moment to make sure that, if he did hear that, he'd brush it off as a click from something in the desert instead.

He didn't turn around, or even bother to look around. I brought my Pip-Boy back up, tapped on my straight razor, and watched as it silently phased into my hoof. I clutched it tightly, flicked the blade out from its cover, and readied myself. As I reeled my hoof back, I lunged forward.

Without hesitation, I saw the unicorn drop my hind legs, grasp the hoof with my razor in it, direct it away from him, and turn to me. Without hesitation, he punched me square in the muzzle. I dropped my razor as I fell back onto the ground. As I hit hard, gasping, he picked up my straight razor, trotted up to me, gritted his teeth, and pierced my abdomen.

I let out a slight choke, trying to breathe as I felt the air literally leaking out from my stomach. I moved both of my hooves to the blade, only the handle visible as the rest was embedded into my hide, veiled by my hide, now stained with fresh blood around the wound.

He stood up slowly, reaching to his side. He drew his revolver, opening the cylinder. As he checked, he spoke. "New Moon... that's where the degenerates such as yourself emerged from..." As much hate as there was in that statement, he spoke very calmly.

I couldn't find the strength to reply... even if I had, I didn't think talking would be much use. He seemed to note that by reading me... somehow... and he spoke again. "Soon, there will be no Old Pegasus... no trace of New Moon... when you rot in Tartarus, you will understand..." He seemed to speak like an oracle... a prophet... sealing my fate in stone. He closed the cylinder on his revolver.

As he did, however, a spark of light appeared next to him, and as it blinded me a moment and cleared up, Willow appeared from the blue. She immediately tackled the other unicorn, causing him to fire the gun once into the sand near me. As he dropped the revolver a distance away from me, I glanced at it, before moving my right hoof onto the ground, attempting to drag myself towards it. I winced and groaned out in agony, my stomach cramping up even more as I did. I dragged on until the gun was in my reach. I grasped onto it, before feeling something crush my hoof. I rasped in anguish, seeing a metal clad hoof. I looked up, seeing the unicorn, much of his armor and his visor gone. He grinded his hoof roughly against mine, before I let go of the gun. He kicked it away, and kicked me in the gut once more.

I felt even more air knocked out of me, before lying back, barely conscious at that point. The throes were like hell on earth... I felt every bit of it yet I couldn't raise so much as a matter of a cry about it.

I watched as the unicorn turned back to Willow, now on the ground struggling to stand. The unicorn grasped her by the mane, punching her in the muzzle. As she fell to the ground, the unicorn straddled her underneath him, before using his hooves to strike her slowly yet powerfully. I felt myself on the verge of blacking out... maybe I was dying... but... like hell was I gonna let... Willow... hurt...

...darkness... saw it everywhere... s-so tired... m-must... close eyes... regained feeling in my hoof... glanced... left hoof wrapped around handle... n-no... no! I wasn't... going to let... her die...

I pulled... one hoof at first... before I pushed through the dark clouding my eyes, wrapping my other hoof around the handle. I pulled harder... harder... gritting my teeth as I breathed out heavily. I was mad... pissed... furious... that somepony like this existed...

After one long pull, I felt the blade slip out of my stomach, gasping as it did. The darkness started coming back to me. I wasn't gonna... let it take me yet...

I lifted the knife with my right hoof... holding it by... by the blade... I tilted it back slightly... and suddenly launched the blade forward, hurtling towards the bastard.

It landed in the back of his throat, blade halfway buried. But it was enough... he choked out... choked on his own arrogance... and fell over onto his side, off of Willow.

I felt my eyes slowly closing, nopony of us three moving. I sighed with what breath I could... I... I failed...

Darkness plagued my eyes now... no good... no use... let it take me... let it take...

{TRANSMISSION PAUSED. SLEEP MODE ENGAGED. TRANSMISSION OFFLINE.}

{CONTINUING TRANSMISSION. USER FRIENDLY INTERFACE ACTIVE. TRANSMISSION ONLINE.}

1639 Hours

...I woke with a gasp, taking in as much air as I could. Oh dear Luna... fresh air... I... I could breathe... but... a-am I dead...?

I hadn't opened my eyes yet... I wasn't sure I wanted to...

"First... your monitor's beeping... open your eyes... c-come on..."

...AJ died too? Wait a minute... a-am I...? I opened my eyes slowly, seeing a ceiling light dimly lit overhead attached to a metal sheeted ceiling. I blinked... twice to make sure I really wasn't dead.

Many sudden realizations hit me... what happened to the Ranch... what happened to everypony else there... where was I... where... how was Willow...?

"...w-where...?"

"Shh... it's OK... you're safe, First. You're safe..."

I didn't care about my sake... "W-Willow..."

AJ patted my shoulder, smiling. "Heh... her hard head is what saved you... and you getting that knife in that Shadow's neck helped her. She's fine, First. But she's gotta learn to not just teleport away... I could've found and helped you two sooner."

That put my mind a little at ease. Still... that attack on the Ranch unsettled me greatly... why...?

AJ trotted to a bed near mine, where Willow, much of her head, shoulders, and midsection covered in bandages, sat upright, slurping enthusiastically on a bowl of rat bit soup. Wow... this pony really didn't let anything get to her. She turned to me, part of her cheek and forehead covered by the bandages but her gesture otherwise giving off a luminescent smile. "First! You're awake! Dear Luna, I'm glad I got to you in time!"

"Willow... that stallion... he... he would've killed us... who was he...?"

Willow seemed to grimace a bit. "Those... are not stallions. They're evil. And it wasn't just him. The soldiers at the Ranch took care of the assault squad... although they lost a few good stallions... they're Descension followers. Specifically, their own armed force."

"So they have their own army..." I winced as I said this, clutching my stomach. I turned to it, now bandaged where my wound was. To be honest, it was a bit tiring to see bandages and wounds and such. But in a way... I guess they were signs telling me to be more careful.

"Ooh! That reminds me! The knife you threw into that guy's neck! It's on the nightstand!"

I turned, seeing it still open and stained with dried blood now. I stared at it... the blade seeming somewhat significant now... as if it had a mind of its own, proud to be stained in the blood of something wicked that was purged. I closed the blade, not bothering to clean it. I tapped my Items button, before the razor disappeared.

Before I lowered my Pip-Boy, I heard the crashing of the drums once again. Oh boy... what did the roulette of fate have for me in store this time...? I checked my Stats... Guns 42%, Energy Weapons 24%, Unarmed 18%, Melee 42%, Explosives 24%, Medicine 24%, Sneak 50%, Lockpick 37%, Science 24%, Repair 31%, Speech 22%, Barter 22%, and Survival 18%. Both my Sneak and Repair increased. My HP raised to 195, my AP increased to 105, and my XP read 1087/2000.

I tapped my Perks, seeing what gift I'd be bestowed. A new glow appeared below Friend of the Night, and I tapped it. The needle inside the Pip-Boy yet again pricked me, still stinging but not as much as it had before. As it receded, my new perk revealed itself: Toughness. I tapped the perk, reading the description. It read that my body would no longer give way so easy to "deathly death bullets, real steel, or lazahs and plazmah... because now your skin is as tough as brass! Polished to the nth degree!" I... didn't know what to get from that, but I guessed that it increased my durability by a great amount. I smiled... I was always known for being fragile and easy to break... maybe it'd be a nice change of pace to be the opposite.

I lowered my Pip-Boy. "So, tell me about Descension. Who are they? Where are they from? Why are they doing things like what happened in Dodge?"

Shining's good mood immediately disappeared, scaring me a bit. "Descension... where to begin on those demons..." She sat upright, facing me and AJ. "Descension is essentially a legion of unicorns... anything that isn't one is seen as an inferior species to them... species they declare they have the authority to extinguish."

"So it's some kind of supremacy group. How did they spring up? Where do they come from?"

Shining shook her head. "Nopony knows... tons of rumors saying they came from here and there... the most numerous I've heard is somewhere north. But wherever they came from, they're now settled in the Everfree Sector. Makes sense... not many ponies would dare go through it, much less stay."

"Everfree? What's in Everfree?"

"Trees. Trees everywhere. It's also home to many... many creatures that wouldn't think twice of slaughtering anypony that ventured inside. The Grand Army knows Descension's in there, but with all those things inside, they can't make a move on them. Otherwise, this war between them would've been over sooner."

War, huh? I had heard a few days wars that occurred after New Equestria was formed... between the Golden Wing and ground dwellers, the settlers of New Reno and the raiders that thought it a prize... even the wars of the Sun and Moon. Though the last was the one I knew least about. Heck... nopony I knew really understood that war either... confused as to why Luna and Celestia would raise arms against one another. Maybe somepony out there did know... but till then, I was left in the dark.

"So those creatures... are they a result of the Aura?"

"Nopony really knows. Considering their appearances and such, that's the most accepted theory in the New Lunar Republic. But I doubt that with some of those creatures... including the Smiley's... the Aura hasn't ever done anything like that before... I doubt it would now."

If the Aura couldn't cause that, what could? As far as I knew, nothing short of a metamorphoses spell itself could drastically change somepony, and even if that had been the case, the Shadows couldn't have used those... at least I didn't think they could.

"So if not the Aura... what?"

"I have no clue. Maybe it is the Aura... but who knows."

I sure as hell didn't. Most ponies don't know where the Aura came from, me included. Hmm... but that was ponies... I glanced at AJ momentarily before nodding. "Hey AJ... you know much about the war?"

"Which one?"

Wait... which one...? Did that mean she knew something about Old Equestria before the New Equestrian War? "Um... the current one."

AJ nodded. "The Pitch Black War. Named as such cause both the Lunar Republic and the Shadows have ties to some sort of darkness, Luna's bein' the night and such and Descension bein' Shadows. It only started recently when Descension emerged from Everfree, and made a base just on the outskirts of the woods. But it's near the woods enough that the Republic ain't done attack it yet. Too many risks of seeing those unworldly creatures."

"So the Republic wouldn't risk sending in forces... but the Shadows are free to do raids as much as they please?"

AJ nods. "'Fraid so. But the Republic isn't helpless either. Rumors spreadin'... Luna havin' some sort of fancy plan... to not only stop the Shadows in Palomino but wipe out the ones in Everfree!"

That seems like a bold claim. No wonder they were only rumors. "But how do you know all of this? Something like that... I don't think anypony, not even Grand Army soldiers, would know without being told by Luna herself."

Willow nodded. "I know... but... good to be hopeful, right...? And besides, there's always the chance that this isn't a fluke. It may very well be the real deal!"

Or there was the overwhelming odds that it was too good to be true. I didn't want to question it any further. Right now... I wanted to know where we were. "...so uh... where is here?"

Before Willow could speak, AJ placed a metallic hoof in her muzzle, stopping her. "Before we get ta that, I would just like ta say... I was right all along!" She giggled through her glowing muzzle piece. Right about what?

Willow groaned in annoyance. "OK, yes. You were right, I was wrong. Happy?"

AJ nodded, her eyes shimmering green. "Very. Anyways... you, First Class, are in the town of Appleloosa! Our little oasis in the Palomino!"

Wait... Appleloosa? If it wasn't some Aura death trap... were there others around? "AJ... listen carefully... what do you mean by oasis?"

AJ nodded, pacing back and forth as she spoke. "Where ta begin! We got nice folk here, the springs nearby are amazin', and the apple trees are just bloomin' and livin' life to the best here!"

If Appleloosa had both a water source and trees, that meant that this would be a good place to hole up. I didn't like the idea of not being on the road and risk losing track of Bugsy... but rushing off nearly got me killed too many times already. Dragons, raiders, smiling lunatics, and the Shadows were already cutting it close by now. I wasn't going to be in a hurry to see what else would try to murder me in the desert.

I sighed. "...sounds like a nice place to stay." Both AJ and Willow registered surprise. I merely nodded. "Yep... nice place to stay."

"Stay? But... I thought we were going to head to New Pegasus..."

"And risk being mutilated by some tribals? I'm not in any hurry to do that. I at least want to get my bearings first before getting back in the saddle."

I saw AJ smile a bit at that. Maybe it was because I was finally learning something. Maybe it was because this place had something special that only she knew. Whatever it was, I saw her eyes become as green as could be. I turned to Willow, meanwhile. She seemed to grimace a bit, glaring at me silently. As far as I knew, she should be grateful that she wouldn't be trotting around too much... that unicorn could've killed her if he didn't take a knife to the neck.

"...I hate that idea."

"Yeah, so what? Exploring the area already got us in trouble at least..." I counted using my right wing. There was... hmm... the dragon... Poppers... the cannibal raiders, plus the giant ant... happy-go-lucky demons... Shadows... "Five times already. Six if you count the ant separately to that cave that housed meat eaters."

Willow shook her head. "OK. Fine. Exploring could be dangerous..."

"Could be dangerous?"

"Yes, could be dangerous. But you know what? Sometimes it's very rewarding as well..."

"Yeah... yeah, very rewarding. And what's your idea of rewarding, Willow? 'Oh hey, we got through this canyon alive! That makes our bond so much stronger!' I barely met you, Shining. You don't know me, I don't know you. Heck, I barely know AJ. We are not friends... we are just three ponies... yes, ponies... because AJ is a pony unlike what you think... with mutual respect for another and willing to help each other with their goals. After that... we part ways."

AJ and Willow both turned to me. AJ's eyes flashed instantly from green to blue, and Willow stared at me, her eyes misty. After that... it hit me what I said... and I couldn't help but to realize what an asshole I am. I raised my wing, but... couldn't find the words to make this better. How could I? I just told them off for thinking that we were friends... what kind of friend does that?

Willow attempted to sit up, but found it painful to do so. After a few more futile tries, a now sobbing Willow turned on her side on the bed, completely facing away from me. AJ continued to gaze at me, before shaking her head. "...mutual goals or not, First... I plan on stickin' by yer side till the end... 'cause that's what friends do."

...that's what always worried me. Friends till the end... whose end? Maybe in Old Equestria... things were different. But here... here... friendships never lasted... I understood that too well. Maybe Willow and AJ were trying to live in the past when they did, but... I just couldn't. I sighed in defeat, turning on my side as well, facing away from the two. "...you have every right to be mad. And to do what you guys want to do without me. I'd just moan and bitch about it anyways."

I waited... maybe for AJ to leave. Willow couldn't go anywhere, so she'd have to stay in what I thought was her version of hell for a few. At least until the stimpaks kicked in. After a moment, however, I felt a cold and very heavy hoof touch my shoulder. "...you've been through a lot, First. It's normal to be upset. 'Specially when you lost something very important to ya. But ya know what? I'm helpin' ya through it. Maybe y'all don't think so, but I consider you both my friends."

Willow remained silent a bit. "...you're my friend too, AJ..." And then she stopped. She excluded me... I knew she did. But I really couldn't blame her.

I remained silent a bit, before turning to lie on my back. I sighed. "AJ... Shining... I... I want to consider you guys my friends... I just..." A memory was holding my tongue back. It stung me still. As it did, I felt my eyes water, and I felt myself almost forced to stop. While I didn't think specifically of it, just the fact that it was there... that's what made the sting worse...

Willow, her back still facing me, merely grunted. "We get it... you don't want friends..."

...it wasn't that at all. But... I just couldn't explain it to her without it making me stop dead in my tracks and continue to pierce and paralyze me. "...it's not that..."

"It's alright, First... not everypony has to get along with whoever they're traveling with. Even I learned that from my caravan runs. All you have to do is keep to yourself and I won't bug you."

...I guess I was keeping it to myself... and... I guess that meant Willow would ignore me. Wow... that... that hurt. That hurt me very much. Two sources of pain... both completely different yet somehow related... and... and now I had to deal with both... all because I couldn't deal with one or the other...

I sighed. I guess it didn't matter. She'd be gone... something I said I wanted... but... really, the thought of it...

"Hey y'all! Now's not the time to be down in the slums! We got a whole town to explore!" AJ said ecstatically.

Well... much as wanted to see the town we'd be staying more, I still needed a bit to let the stimpak heal me. I shut my eyes, before falling asleep.

{TRANSMISSION PAUSED. SLEEP MODE ENGAGED. TRANSMISSION OFFLINE.}

{CONTINUING TRANSMISSION. USER FRIENDLY INTERFACE ACTIVE. TRANSMISSION ONLINE.}

1851 Hours

I woke up, feeling... refreshed, almost. I stood up a bit, stretching my legs. I stood up from the bed, looking around a bit. I didn't get to see much of the room before, but now I saw a bedpan on the floor, clean, thank Luna. There were also some monitors and some machines here and there, and some medical apparatus on some chrome, wheeled drawers. I turned to the other bed... noticing it was empty. I sighed, shaking my head. Willow was already gone. Fuck...

I simply stared at the bed a moment, before shaking my head again, and heading out of the small hospital. As the light began to flood into my eyes, I felt blinded a moment, before I regained my vision. I looked around what I thought looked like some sort of frontier town... the towns I read about in the Old Books that were still around. Apparently, they had built these towns before the End War, another name for the New Equestrian War, for settlers of the area... they wore these clothes... and these hats... they looked really cool and vintage. Ever since I read them, I always wanted to wear some of those cool rags. Maybe there's a chance this town still had some... it looked very organized and sound all things considering.

I trotted a bit, some of the residents mingling with each other. What I found a bit out of the ordinary, though, was the fact that the residents were composed of donkeys, mules, buffalo, ponies, and cows. Not that I haven't seen each of them before, but the fact that all of them were a community together somewhat surprised me. Many different species formed communities among themselves rather dwell with each other. The fact this was the opposite was pretty amazing.

I didn't see AJ anywhere when I woke up or when I left the hospital bed. She was probably getting some kind of kick from being here so most likely she went to look around. So that meant I had to find my own way around as well. Hmm... it wouldn't hurt to ask somepony for directions, though. I trotted to a group of residents; two buffalo, two donkeys, one mule, and an earth pony. "Uh... hello?"

"Howdy!" they all said together, chuckling afterwards. One of the buffalo turned to me. "Ah... you're one of the new ponies that got brought into town! Welcome!"

Huh... I wonder if AJ brought me in after some sort of welcoming committee. Although I guess I should be thanking them. I rubbed the back of my head nervously, chuckling. "Heh... you uh... heard about that, huh?"

"Hard not to! When a newcomer arrives, it's pretty big!" one of the donkeys stated. He then chuckled again. "Yep! Big news! Most folk here are very open to visitors!"

The mule, seeming to have slipped out of the conversation as soon as I approached, rolled his eyes, grunted a bit, and trotted away. Huh... wonder what his deal was. The others noticed as well, turning to me. "Don't mind Stone. He's... quite a wild card 'round these parts. He might be angry one moment, then extremely giddy the next. We refer to him as the Broken Wall 'cause of it."

The Broken Wall? Huh... wonder how he got that nickname exactly. Or... maybe it was his real name. Whatever it was, it seemed to be used as some kind of insult to him. But anyways... I turned back to them. "Excuse me... where can I look for some supplies or clothes?"

The earth pony pointed down the street. "The general store down the street here should have just what you need! The good ol' Chord's run it, and a newcomer like you? They'll definitely help you with whatever you'll need!"

Well, so far this town seemed a lot like Goodsprings; full of good ponies that actually looked out for visitors. I nodded to them, a bit giddy. "Alright! Thank you very much!"

"Happy trails!" the other donkey said, before they resumed their conversation. I trotted down the street following the earth pony's guidance, before coming onto the store, just on the corner. It was pretty big, one of the biggest buildings I saw in this town. I trotted inside, seeing shelf upon shelf, all lined with goods of all sorts. Sitting behind a counter was a dark blue unicorn mare, a bit elder in appearance but still looking prime. "Howdy!"

"Hello there! Are you a Chord?"

"Yes indeed! Name's Serene Chord! Pleasure to meet you, Mr..."

"Uh... Class. My name's First Class."

Serene nods. “Yup! Took it over from my Ma a couple of years back! She still helps me out a lot, though!”

"Oh, she does, huh? That's good then. So it's like a family business?"

“Yup! This here store has been around as long as the Chords have been around and we’ve been here in Appleloosa way before the End War!”

Oh man. That must mean this family's somewhere like... nearly a century old at least. "Huh. That's... quite a long time! Nice to meet you then! Say, you wouldn't happen to have any frontier clothing for me, would you?"

I’d love to see you without clothes, I think…” The voice came from the entrance to the store where a dark blue unicorn stallion, younger than Serene but similar in looks, trotted inside, undoubtedly related to her somehow. Huh... for their age this family looked really good and healthy. Heh... I wonder if that oasis AJ was talking about was the fountain of youth. But something about this stallion... he seemed really outgoing. And that comment he made... well... I wasn't really comfortable taking my jumpsuit off regardless. It hid the fact my left wing was gone.

"Uh... huh. Um... y-yeah, just some... frontier clothes..."

Serene laughed heartily as she shook her head at the stallion. “River, please! I’m trying to make a sale here! There’s no need for you to scare off customers with your…” She cleared her throat and rolled her eyes as she continued, “...Your ‘flirtatious charm’...”

The stallion, who I now knew was named River, shrugged and turned to me while still speaking to Serene, “What can I say? I can’t help myself around handsome stallions sometimes…” He then gave me a quick wink.

I gasped a bit, before realizing my face felt warm. Oh Luna... I was blushing. I glanced a bit to my left side, the zipper allowing my left wing... had I still had it... zipped up tightly. I... I think I wanted to change in private. Who knew what these ponies would say to a stumped pegasus like me...? I turned back to Serene. "Uh... i-is there a hat...? I-I just need a hat! I'm sure it'll look great with my jumpsuit!" Although I could've worn a vest over the jumpsuit, even risking to take off my suit was something I wanted to avoid.

Serene nodded and said, “Of course! We’ve got plenty of hats to choose from. You sure you don’t want anything clothes wise? We don’t have a dressing room but you could try them on either in storage or just out back.”

"Uh... maybe I will... let's see..." I looked a bit at one of the shelves, a great deal of hats lining it. I thought about it... maybe I could get AJ one too! She didn't have one, and it'd... kinda look natural on her. I picked up two Stetsons, one a blue almost like that of the jumpsuit and another a dusty tannish color. I then looked at the vests. Why not? AJ really had some sorta thing for Appleloosa, might as well. I picked a saddle brown vest and a soft yellow vest. "Alright, how much caps?"

Serene examined my selections carefully before she looked back up at me and said, “That’ll be 30 caps, sir.”

Cool. I tapped my Pip-Boy, seeing that I had 437 caps. I just hope she didn't ask where they came from. I tapped to withdraw thirty caps, and they materialized onto the counter. "Thank you very much! So, uh... where can I try these again?"

She pointed just behind the counter and replied, “You can either use that storage area behind me or, if you feel like you need even more privacy, you can keep going until you reach the exit and change in the alley behind the store.”

Wait... more privacy outside? Huh... maybe because they went into the storage a lot. But I think I needed all the privacy I could get. "Thank you, Serene. I'll be sure to come back if I need anything else!"

“Thank you, sir! Come again, soon!”

I nodded, before trotting towards the back. As I did, I tapped my Pip-Boy, placing the brown hat and vest away. The blue hat and yellow vest remained. I thought they'd go well with the jumpsuit. I exited the store through the back, noticing the alley was pretty quiet and between another building, so I had a bit of peace of mind. I began to place the hat on first. Heh... man, I felt like I was one of those settlers back in Old Equestria. I tried to place on my vest as well. At first it didn't fit, and I thought it was because of my jumpsuit. I hesitated a bit, before removing it completely, watching it drop near my legs. I nodded, feeling a bit... well... naked. I know I usually didn't wear clothes, but... that jumpsuit felt like home. Maybe I'd put it on after this. I tried to put the best on again. It still didn't fit. I checked on what it could be, and as I investigated, it hit me. I had mistakenly bought the earth pony vest, not the pegasus one. Dang... I hoped Serene could exchange it.

“Mmmmm… I knew you were more handsome without that jumpsuit on…”

I froze. Oh Luna... my jumpsuit! I hurried to put it on, not caring where that voice came from. The voice seemed to approach as it said, “Come now… somepony like you, you deserve to show off a little, you know!”

...it was River. That voice... it just made me want to put on my suit much faster. I wasn't going to let him see my stump. But I was merely squirming the suit in my hooves, failing to place it on correctly as it merely dangled from my legs. River’s voice stayed silent for a moment before it piped up again, “Whoa… what happened to your side, friend?”

I stood still, seeing River at the door to the store. I quickly turned my left side away from him. "Uh... n-nothing, was just... p-putting my clothes on..."

“Hey, is everything alright? That really does look like a real nasty scar you’ve got.”

I sighed. I turned to River, turning my side back to him. "Yes. Yes it is a scar. I'm missing my wing, and that's... that's all that's left of it. I... I don't take off my jumpsuit because of it..."

River nodded. “I guess I understand why you’d do that.”

...why'd he have to see it? "...I can't even fly anymore... all this right wing is capable of being now is an extra limb. A pegasus that can't fly... a courier that can't deliver a package... Luna, I can't do anything anymore..."

“Now who said you have to be able to fly just to deliver a package?”

"You need to when you're a pegasus. I... was supposed to deliver a package to New Pegasus by..." I checked my Pip-Boy. "August 7th. I could've gotten it there from New Reno by the 23rd of July. But... I got fucked over... if I can't get that package back and deliver it, the pony that hired me... they will cut all funding of the San Palomino Pony Express... my family's company... and we are finished in terms of trying to sustain ourselves. And if I can do this... my... my family will be able to live life normally. They'll get a fortune that they can use to be able to live happily. That's... that's why I need to do this, River." I realized I just told River about the package. Fuck... I was told not to tell anypony about that. But... it didn't matter. I didn't have the package anyways, so even if anypony wanted to steal it, I wouldn't have it.

River nodded and replied, “I think I understand what you mean. My family means a lot to me, too. I’d do anything for them. But listen… don’t think you’re useless just because you’ve lost a wing. You’re not. Most couriers I know would’ve just given up as soon as they realized they lost any part of them. The fact that you’re still trying to deliver this package…” River shook his head and chuckled before he continued, “You’re not most couriers, I reckon.” He nodded at me before he said, “Listen, I don’t expect what I’ve said to bring about some kind of immediate revelation. But think about what I said, alright? Maybe something good’ll come out of all this.”

As much as he was preaching about not bring some kind of immediate revelation, it... sorta did. Why else would I bother crossing half of San Palomino just for some horseshoe? River was right... I wasn't just any courier... I was a damned determined one. Even so... I couldn't have made it here without help. Huh... without... without AJ and Willow. I gotta find them as soon as I can. Maybe a rest stop is what we need, but I'm not going to shoot down Willow again. I turned to River. "You're pretty wise, you know that, River?"

River chuckled and shook his head. He said, “Nah, not sure about wise. Just been around for a while out there and did a bunch of stuff. And ponies, too!”

I cleared my throat, blushed, and looked away a bit. While I admit... he, uh... hehe... had a charm to him I kinda dug, I didn't know how long I'd be staying here. I didn't want to leave him in the dust. "Um... h-heh... is there anywhere to stay here in town...?"

River nodded. “Yeah! There’s Whiskey Pete’s just down the road a ways! Pete’s a great host!”

"I'll be sure to check in, then. Thanks, River."

River nodded and as he turned around, he swished his flank a little as he walked away from me. He purred, “No problem. And if you’d like some fun with me, just give me a call. I’m sure I can accommodate you…” He raised his tail a little as he continued to swish away from me.

I realized my entire body felt much warmer, and my right wing sprouted directly from my midsection. I turned to it, trying my best to close it. O-oh jeez... th-this must be really, really disrespectful... I entered back into the storage awkwardly. I just hope that nopony else saw that little... erm... exchange...

Serene turned towards me. “So, did everything fit you okay, sir?”

I didn't hear her for a moment, before seconds later I turned to her, almost startled. "Hmm? Oh, uh... y-yeah! I mean... actually... I seem to have picked up the earth pony version of this vest." I handed her the yellow vest. "Is there anyway I can get the pegasus one?"

Serene nodded and replied, “Yes, of course! I’ll get that right quick!” She trotted into storage and came back with another vest. “Here you go! That should fit you well!”

"Heh. Thank you very much." It was kinda awkward to speak to her after her relative... heehee... flirted a bit... a-anyways I got what I needed. "Thank you, ma'am! Have a good day!"

“Yup, you too!” She paused a bit before she squinted at me. “...River went out and flirted with you while you were changing, didn’t he?”

Oh shit, she knew. Uh... uh... I didn't know what to say. I was just standing here, probably with the guiltiest expression on my face. I coughed. "...m-maybe..."

Serene sighed and shook her head. “Damn him… I love my younger brother but I keep telling him not to flirt with my customers while they’re trying on clothes.” She shook her head again. “He’s been successful, too…”

...oh shit... younger brother? "Uh... I'm... so sorry about that, Serene. I-I won't bug you guys any further." I heard about what some of these settler ponies do to trespassers. I don't want to be the one they decide is one.

Serene cocked an eyebrow and asked, “What are you apologizing for, sir? He flirted with you. He does that with a lot of newcomers that appear to be single, stallion and mare. You’re not bugging us, I promise.” Serene chuckled before she continued, “The real question is if he’s bugging you.”

To be honest, I didn't know if I should answer that. If I said no, that'd obviously be a lie. If I said yes... she'd know something was up. "...I, uh... well, he isn't really... uh... bugging..."

Serene shrugged. “Well, just as long as he isn’t annoying you or anything. That’s up to your discretion, I suppose.”

...huh. I... might just take River up on his offer. But... I don't know where he was. Well... maybe I could expect him later. For now, I guess I'd take a look at renting a room. "Thanks again, Serene."

“It’s not a problem, sir! Be sure to check out the other places around town! I’m sure they’d love your patronage, too.”

I knew I had something to ask but I didn't know what at the moment. So I waved farewell, and trotted outside. As soon as I exited the store, I felt a hoof cover my muzzle, and something cold and metal slip near my throat. "Why did you come here?" a low, hoarse voice asked me.

I gulped, trembling a bit. The hoof loosened just enough for me to speak. "...I... I was brought here..."

"Yeah... I know... you're not a local... so let me warn you right now... you make one wrong step... one false move... one reason to believe that you'll hurt anypony here... and it'll be your last breath." I was shoved into the ground. I quickly turned around, seeing the mule from earlier with a large Bowie knife and wearing what appeared to be a very worn NLR military uniform, judging by the insignia. However, the uniform looked much different than the garbs the soldiers I saw before wore. It looked much more formal... and frightening on this mule.

“Stone Wall that’s not very nice he’s a guest in town and he seems like a really nice pony!” A blue unicorn stallion with a wide smile bounced up to me and the mule.

"Y-yeah man! I came here when I was unconscious!"

"No excuse. For all I know you could be enemies of this town. Enemies of Luna..."

“No I’m not I’m Jackpot!”

The mule, Stone Wall, sighed. "Not you, Jackpot. This nobody. Did you even ask what happened to him?"

“Nope I just met him now! Why? What happened to him is he alright I hope he’s alright he looks like an alright pony to me!”

"Not to me. The smug grin on his face..." I swear on my life, I was doing anything but grinning at this moment.

A buffalo trotted up to him. "Uh, Stone Wall... might wanna... ahem... take your herbs now..."

Stone turned to the buffalo. "Right now? It's too early!"

"Yes, now."

Stone sighed, before he turned back to me. "Count yourself lucky, punk." He reached into a pocket of the coat, and took out some piece of paper, a small wrapped piece. He placed it in his muzzle, and lit it with a lighter. After, he took a drag, blasting it into my face. I coughed, and as I sniffed it, I knew what it was; hash.

Jackpot frowned at the Stone. “Hey! You shouldn’t do that to others! River told me that we’re supposed to be helpful and polite to guests in our town!”

Stone raised a hoof, taking a deeper drag. After a moment, his eyes seemed to glaze, and a wide grin spread across his face. "Ah... that's some good shit right there!" Almost out of nowhere, his shithead personality turned into that of a pothead.

Jackpot shook his head. “That smells bad why do you like it so much I tried it once and I didn’t like how it slowed me down a lot I like having my head clear!”

Stone chuckled, turning to Jackpot. He placed a hoof on his shoulder. "Now now, kiddo... I... hehehehe... I told you why I smoke pot, ya know!"

“Yeah… River told me why too! He served with you for a bit didn’t he he wouldn’t give me too many details though!”

"That's... hehehehe... that's good... can't let him spill the beans now! Anywho, I'm off to... to... home... later!" Stone stumbled a bit in his trot as he went off.

I shook my head. "What's his deal?"

The buffalo sighed. "He's a case of manic depression, that one. We call him the Broken Wall because of it. It's not my place to say why, however."

Jackpot nodded. “Yeah River knows too but he won’t tell me even if he I ask really really really really nicely!” Jackpot paused before he shook my hoof. “I’m Jackpot Chord by the way I’m River’s cousin!”

Huh. This family is really quirky. Not in a bad way, of course. But... this guy had all the energy of a Fiend yet none of the hostility. That was pretty rare to find. "Um... nice to meet you, Jackpot. Name's First."

“Nice to meet you too First! What brings you to town what do you do is it fun?”

"Uh... I was... I was attacked... me and my two friends... by... by a Shadow. I'm actually looking for them but I think as long as we all stay in town we should be fine."

Jackpot gasped. “Oh wow that sounds frightening I’ve never seen a shadow attack anypony before it must not have been a very nice shadow but don’t you worry our shadows here in town don’t do anything like that and we’ve got great things in town to tide you over for a bit if you want something chances are that you can find it!”

The buffalo clears his throat. "Uh... Jackpot... he means Shadows as in Descension soldiers."

Jackpot stared blankly for a moment before it finally clicked. “Ooooohhh… okay! They’re not very nice!”

...you don't say? "Uh... yeah. So, can you guys lead me to Whiskey Pete? I'm afraid Stone will attack me again."

“Sure! I’d love-”

We’d love to, First…” River’s voice purred as he trotted up to the group.

Jackpot turned to River, smiling widely. “Heya cousin! It’s good to see you again even though we see each other a lot and all!”

River chuckled, “So, how’s my sister and your dad doing?”

“Great! They’re really really happy together like they’ve always been and we can’t wait to have dinner with you Serene Placid Minor Single Grandma Grandpa Serene’s foals and am I forgetting anypony else I feel like I’m forgetting somepony for some reason…”

“Don’t worry about! I’m sure they’ll show up and you’ll remember!”

“Yeah you’re probably right River!”

Man, this family was huge. Mine wasn't anywhere near as big. It was only Mom, Dad, me, and... huh... I had a sister as well but I've hardly ever seen her. Even now, I hardly see my folks. I wish I knew where they were exactly, but... I hear from them often, at least. I chuckled. "You all seem like the perfect family, honestly."

River nodded. “We have our ups and downs but we love each other, regardless.”

"Well maybe I'll get to meet them in town!"

“Perhaps you will! But…” River purred softly, “Let’s get you into a room at Whiskey Pete’s, shall we…?”

I coughed a bit. I turned to my right wing, holding it tightly against my side. Sure it hurt, but... was better than letting everypony see. I chuckled, feeling my face flush red again. "Y-yeah... l-let's..."

River nodded and pointed down the road. “Just this way and we’ll be there in no time!”

...heehee... uh... we, huh? I... gotta admit, I was kinda looking forward to this... "Um... y-yeah... no time..." I trotted down the street with River, Jackpot, and the buffalo until we reached the motel. We stepped inside, and looked around. It was a pretty cozy lobby, one that I'd sleep in if the owner let me.

River placed his hoof to his muzzle and whistled shrilly. “Hey, Whiskey! We’ve got ourselves a traveller! Need a room for him!”

After a moment, a pony with a very shaggy beard and mane, and wearing a frontier hat I couldn't identify at first, trotted out to the front desk. "Now now, River! Remember I do have a bell, ya know!"

River chuckled and flashed a toothy smile at the other stallion. “Yeah, I know! I just like to do that to annoy ya!” He stuck his tongue out playfully at him.

The pony chuckled. "You haven't annoyed me since we were colts, River. So what brings you to the ol' business?"

“Well, my friend here needs a room! Need to get him away from another friend for a bit…”

...did River know where my friends were? "Wait... you saw AJ and Willow around here?"

River cocked an eyebrow. “I was talking about my friend, Stone Wall. After that altercation between you two, I figured that it’d be best to get you away from him for a bit. I don’t really know a Willow but AJ… how do you know who she is?”

...wait a minute... "...she's a robot traveling with me. She's been extremely helpful to us both, and without her we'd have died out there in the desert after being attacked by that Shadow."

River nodded. “I remember that a long, long time ago, there was a young mare that went by that nickname. Full name was Applejack. This was before the End War, by the way. Well, on occasion, there’s a robot that goes by that nickname that shows up, just wandering around. Nopony really knows what she’s up to but she seems harmless enough so everypony just leaves her alone. Supposedly, she looks an awful lot like that Applejack mare. If the legends are to believed, anyway.”

...I had no idea what to make of this, whether to believe it or not, or even ask AJ herself. But... if it was a coincidence that AJ was built to look like this... Applejack? Well, then maybe there's a reason why. But I'd have to find out from her factory. "I'll keep that in mind."

The pony, Whiskey, handed me a set of keys. "Room 27! Enjoy your stay!"

River trotted to the stairs and waved me along. “I know where that is! Let me show you…” He seemed to purr as he spoke.

The buffalo chuckled. "If you need anymore medical assistance, see me. My name's Dr. Roll." He trotted out with Jackpot, who waved at us both.

River smiled warmly at me. “So… shall we?”

...heh... I... I really couldn't keep my cool around River. He was just so... ah! I couldn't even put my wing on it! He was just that amazing...

I nodded, almost dumbly, and followed River down the hall. River turned to me and sighed, “Hey, I’m really sorry about Stone’s behavior towards you. He’s a bit… touchy ever since we got out of the service with the NLR.”

The NLR? What was with the uniform then? "Really? Why did the uniform look different than the ones I saw?"

“He never really took his uniform off since we left but he never took care of it. A long time ago, it was a lot cleaner and had less patches in it.”

"But... still... it didn't look like any I've seen. Is it really an NLR uniform?"

River was completely silent for the remainder of our walk to the room. Not that it was particularly long at that point. “Well, here it is! Room 27! Let’s check out the inside!”

I didn't like how quiet he was, but... I understood it must've been touchy. We both stepped inside, seeing how cozy the room was. It only had one bed, a couch, a restroom, and a closet, more than enough for some ponies. I liked it. "Seems really nice! Small but comfortable."

River nodded as he inched a bit closer to me, his side barely touching mine. “Yup… quite comfortable…”

Heh. I've, uh... only been with somepony twice in my life; a mare and a stallion. I was pretty young so I had my whole life to look for somepony. But it did get pretty lonely inbetween those times. I'm glad I could add this time as well. Hopefully it could last. "Yeah... comfortable."

River chuckled softly as he pecked my cheek. “I knew it, somehow…”

"Knew what...?"

He leaned into my ear and whispered, “Bachelor…”

Well... I guess he really knew his ponies. Heh. "Yeah... it... gets a bit lonely..." I sighed a bit.

River pecked me on the muzzle before he stroked my side softly. “Shhh… I understand… sometimes we crave some kind of closeness to somepony…”

I felt myself close my eyes a bit as he pecked me, kinda hoping to make it last. When he pulled away, I opened them, seeing him under the low lights of the bedroom. "...do you like having closeness to somepony...? Or... are these things just... well... one night only...?"

“Mmmm… I love the closeness… sometimes, it ends up being with several ponies. But I think I’d love to be close to you…”

...several ponies? I think I felt my heart twinge a bit, before glancing away a bit. I sighed, turning back to him. "...do you really mean that... or are you just saying it to make me feel better...?"

River wrapped his forelegs around me warmly and kissed me with more passion than I could remember. When he pulled away, he smiled. “Does that convince you I mean it…?”

...it did... but... heh... I could do with a little more convincing... I rubbed my wing on my chin, feigning thought. "Hmm... I think I could do with just a little more convincing..." I rubbed his shoulders, smiling back.

River purred as he rubbed my chest with his hooves. “Let’s get to convincing then, shall we…?”

"Mmm... yes please..."

River smiled warmly as he continued to purr. “Now… would you like to ravish the older stallion… or would you like the older stallion to ravish the young, impressionable stallion…?”

Uh... hmm... I've only really, er... ravished a stallion. I... guess I could do it again. Not risk displeasing River. I stroked his chest. "Hmm... you've ever... um... well... gone for a ride...?"

River swished his flank as he walked to the bed. He lay on his belly with his flank facing me. “Plenty of times…”

Mmm... wow... River might be older than me, but... he had a much... much better body than I did. It was evident merely by staring at his... his... beautiful flank... mmm...

I trotted to him, before a thought came to mind... my clothes... my Pip-Boy... I still didn't know how to take it off. "Uh... sorry to, um... delay this, but... do you know how to take off my Pip-Boy...?"

River scooched on the bed towards me and inspected the Pip-Boy. “Hmmm… maybe it could have something to do with that turning knob thingy?” He points to the knob on the Pip-Boy.

Hmm... that is what Doc used back in Goodsprings. I fiddled with them a bit, and as I did-

{TRANSMISSION INTERRUPTED. USER ERROR. TRANSMISSION OFFLINE.}

{CONTINUING TRANSMISSION. USER FRIENDLY INTERFACE RESTORED. TRANSMISSION ONLINE.}

Comments ( 1 )

Your book has been advertised on the new facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/foebooks/ :)

Login or register to comment