• Published 15th Mar 2014
  • 692 Views, 4 Comments

Fallout: New Pegasus - markhaox14



Lost. Damned. Left for dead in the San Palomino Desert, a simple courier will make his way across the dry wastelands to finish his delivery. But the wastes alone are not the danger...

  • ...
3
 4
 692

Guardian Angel

{BEGIN DAY 3 LOG TRANSMISSION}

Day 3, July 26

0715 Hours

I woke up today much better than I did yesterday. I opened my eyes slowly, light attempting to flood into the room from a few slits in the blinds of the window. I covered my eyes with my wing as I let my eyes get accustomed to the sudden change. I blinked a bit, and everything seemed blurry. I wondered for a moment... then it hit me. Obviously, I was a Friend of the Night... I was still blind during the daytime.

I sighed, feeling both my hood and my mask still on me. I pulled the hood back, and lowered the mask back to my neck. I checked both, and noticed they were now stained with black splatters of dried blood. I really needed to clean them soon... I didn't want anypony to think I was some kind of butcher or something.

Before I stood up, I wondered how in the world I would remove my Pip-Boy from my foreleg before I took a bath. I fiddle with the dials on the side of the machine, but it didn't seem to work. After a few minutes of tampering, I shrugged, and gave up. "Oh well... I hope you're waterproof..."

I slinked off the bed, trotted into the bathroom, and shut the door, clicking the locks behind me. I pulled my wing back into the jumpsuit, and closed the zipper. I pulled my head back into the jumpsuit, for a moment as if in a quick retreat. I slipped my legs into it as well, and after every part of my body was inside, I undid the buttons in front of the suit. I pulled myself out of the suit, and stood, completely bare save for the machine still attached to my leg and the bandana still around my neck. I undid the fabric, and draped it along with the jumpsuit on a nearby counter attached to the sink.

I took a gander at the furniture inside. The counter tops, cracked at a corner, were made of marble, dusty but otherwise still visible and actually fairly pristine still. The metal the pipes for the sink used showed no rust, and I smiled a bit. Meant that the bathtub would be filled with some clean water. I took a gander at a slightly foggy mirror, and squinted. I saw myself, my hide and mane slightly coated with a cake of dirt and the same blood splotches from both Goodsprings and yesterday.

I slightly rubbed my face a bit. I noticed whatever I had gotten yesterday from the dragon wasn't there anymore. Thank Luna... I didn't want a scar on my face... it'd bother me forever. I ran my hoof through my mane, noticing it was a bit tangled. I nodded, and finally turned to the bathtub. There was a curtain still hanging around the tub, decorated with what I thought were flowers. I pulled the curtains to the side, turned on the knobs to release the water, and waited for the tub to fill.

As I heard the water rushing out of the faucet, I took the clothes from the counter, took a hoofful of water, and splashed the areas of the jumpsuit and bandana that were stained. After rinsing them and scrubbing them well with my wing, the clothing came out looking much cleaner. I smiled to myself, and placed the clothes back on the side to dry.

I turned back to the tub, filled with clear water that I could see my reflection in. I chuckled, and dipped a hoof inside. Deeming it warm enough, I pulled myself fully into the water, sighing in relief as I felt myself soaking inside what I thought vegetables soaking in soup would feel like.

The water reached up to my neck, and I splashed a bit over my mane until it drooped over my eyes. I then took a deep breath, and dunked my head into the fresh water, where I yet again used my wing to scrub my mane while underwater. After a few seconds, I drew my head back above the surface, gasping a bit. I never swam much... and even when I did, I couldn't stay underwater for very long at risk of passing out. I stood up a bit, making sure to grasp the side of the tub at risk of slipping. I checked the mirror, and saw that my hide was a golden yellow once again, and my mane was no longer ruffled. I chuckled... I did look a bit nicer to the eye.

I decided it was enough, and I pulled the plug within the drain in the tub, causing the water to recede with a gurgling noise... washing away the dirt of two days worth of trouble. I watched in awe as it did, listening to the drain swallowing the water greedily. I was glad to be rid of it. After every drop had disappeared, I shook myself dry, something I always chose to do rather than to use a towel. I took a moment to use my wing to fix my mane, and after it had returned to the style I always had it, I turned to my clothing, draping from the counter.

I placed the jumpsuit on yet again... and strangely... it felt at home on me. I didn't bother slipping the hood over me for now, but I did wrap the bandana around my neck again... something about being unknown to most ponies always made me more comfortable. I left the bathroom, exited my room, and checked my Pip-Boy. It still worked... why couldn't everything else be waterproof like it?

I tapped the Items and selected my sunglasses. As soon as they emerged from their safe haven, I placed them on, and trotted downstairs. I found the casino floor much more dormant than yesterday, and I figured nearly everypony had gone home. AJ, however, stood beside the glamour of the floor; the treasured cart. I trotted to her, and found she had yet again deactivated herself. I wondered how she could do so, yet not power herself back on, but that theory soon cleared as AJ slowly hummed back to life. Her eyes glimmered a slight yellow for a moment, and then back to green as she recognized me, yawning. "Hey, First... sleep well?"

"Yeah, but then I woke up..." I replied, pointing to my eyes as I did.

She cocked her eyebrows. "What's wrong?"

"Well... I solved the issue of being totally blind at night... but I'm still blind during the day. But hey... I'm actually fairly grateful of that."

"Well, that's good to hear!" She looked around a bit, noticing how empty the casino was. "Huh... wonder where everypony went..."

"I hope you didn't go on a rampage last night, AJ," I joked.

"Hehehe... of course I didn't." She answered this rather calmly, her chuckle a bit... off. I shrugged it off, though, and turned to the exit. We both trotted to it, but before we arrived, the door opened itself. After a moment, Nova stepped through the doors, smiling.

"Pardon my intrusion but... I really hate to dwell on your kindness, but..."

"Something the matter?"

"Well, yes. You've been across the bridge to the Lunar Republic's side of the bridge, right?"

"Yeah, why?"

"...we can't defend this town alone. While most folks here have a gun to help themselves, it ain't enough to stop any more troublemakers from coming. With the Republic's presence here, most would think twice before coming back here."

I thought about it for a moment. I tapped my Pip-Boy, checking what ammo I had left. I only had twenty-one cartridges left for my pistol... but then realized I didn't get any for the rifle, named the Service Rifle inside the Pip-Boy. I turned back to Nova. "Well first things first. If I had wanted to use the rifle yesterday, I would've been dead. So I want rounds for it... and plenty."

Nova nods, and chuckles sheepishly. "Yeah... my noggin ain't what it used to be..." I could tell he didn't intend to leave me to die inside the Buffalo, but I was still peeved at the prospect of standing with the rifle and the ready and learning I had no ammo for it. He reached into a nearby saddlebag, and pulled out two boxes. He handed both to me. "The full one has around forty rounds of 5.56. The other is what ammo the Poppers inside the casino had."

I took both, and pressed the Items on my Pip-Boy. They both began to glimmer before disappearing, and they both showed up in the Pip-Boy's screen. While the rifle rounds were enough for me, the pistol rounds that were added only amounted to four, raising the number to twenty-five. "Thanks, Nova. This'll help me out with... what was his name again?"

"Bugsy."

"Yeah..." A thought came to mind... what was so important about some horseshoe made of glass? "Is the Pony Express open?"

"It probably isn't, but I can get you in. Why?"

"I have an order form... specifically from the office here. I want to know why the hell I got shot over some hoofwear." I gave Nova the note, and he nodded.

"Yeah... it's from here alright. I'll take ya over there." He led me and AJ out of the casino and towards a building across the street. He knocked on the door, and after a moment, it opened to reveal the pony I had captured yesterday. At the first sight of me, he whimpered, and closed the door with a slam. Nova knocked once more. "Come on, Giddy Up. He ain't like that now..."

"G-git 'im outta here, deputy! H-he tried to t-t-take me out!"

"I only did that to get your attention. I never planned on killing you."

Nova glared at me, then focused back onto the building. "Giddy, come on. He saved your hide, remember? He's the one that took out the Poppers."

A silence at first, then the door opened with a creak, and Giddy peeked through it. "Oh... r-r-right... OK, d-d-deputy... please come in..." He opened the door much more widely now, and Nova smiled.

"Thank you. Come in, Mr..."

"Class."

"Class. Giddy... please show courtesy to Mr. Class here." Giddy, watching me closely, didn't respond, a worry on his face that was obvious. He then nodded slowly, and let us all in... even though it was reluctantly. Giddy led us to a set of chairs and tables, and we sat down at them.

"S-so wh-why are you here... C-C-Class?" he stuttered out. I wasn't sure if he had a speech impediment or was just that terrified of me. I really didn't want him to be. I sighed, turned to him, and gave him the best hint of reassurance I could offer.

"I was hoping you could help me out. Nova, can you give him the order form?" Nova nodded, and gave Giddy the slip. Giddy took it hesitantly, looked it over, and nodded.

"Oh... th-that order... well..." he stammered, and by then, I understood it was in fact a speech impediment.

"Yes?"

"Y-you weren't originally the o-one to deliver that h-h-horseshoe... another p-pegasus was assigned for that o-order. U-u-unfortunately... he quit when he saw the f-f-forms on who the P-P-Pony Express had hired. I don't kn-know why..."

Another pegasus? Weird. "Yeah... I had to come in from out west of here because I was called about that. I had finished another job I had and was ready to head on back to New Reno before I rushed here. Didn't know it would get me inside a grave and losing my wing..."

Giddy appeared to have something on his mind, but he didn't speak it. "I-I'm s-sorry to hear about y-your wing."

I chuckled, and waved a hoof in denial. "It wasn't your fault I ended up in a ditch. But thank you, Giddy. So, have any idea as to what the hell's so important about the horseshoe? Did some mare leave it at her ball?"

Giddy shook his head. "I-I'm not sure... I... I j-j-just thought it was s-something s-somepony needed t-to replace a l-lost horseshoe."

I nodded, a bit in defeat. I had one more question on my mind. "Where was I supposed to deliver that package?"

"N-N-New P-P-P-Pegasus..." he answered, struggling with the second part. I twitched my ears. That's where Bugsy was heading...

I stood up, and headed to the door. I turned back to Nova and Giddy. "Again, Giddy... thank you. This'll help me out big time. And Nova... I'll be sure to get the Lunar Republic troopers to occupy the town. Come on, AJ... we gotta go." She stood up, and headed to me as well. I waved farewell with my wing, and they waved back as well. I left the Pony Express building, crossed the road back to the Lunar Republic's side of the town.

The trooper from yesterday stood up readily, almost surprised. "Whoa... didn't think you'd pull that off singlehoofedly!"

"Yeah... and don't worry... there weren't any charges around the casino. Just dynamite."

"Yeah... you're friend brought in a shitload last night. It'd be very good to send it back to the quarry further north."

"Is Matterhorn in? I need to discuss something with him."

"Yeah, he should still be in his tent."

"Thanks. Let's get a move on, AJ." We both trotted back over to Matterhorn's tent, and entered. Matterhorn sat in front of his desk again, sipping more of whatever he had yesterday. He looked up at me but said nothing. "I assume you got the dynamite?"

"Yeah. Your friend there delivered it to us. Thank you for that, by the way."

"Listen... we needed something else." Matterhorn cocked an eyebrow. "The NLR needs to occupy Primm. The townsfolk are down with the idea as well."

Matterhorn set his cup down, and nickered. "Well we would occupy the rest of the town, but as you can tell, there's only five of us here. Five troops aren't enough to successfully secure and defend a town, even with the support of said town."

"Damn... and there's nothing that can be done about that?"

"There is... would you like to hear it?" I knew it was probably going to be a job I had to do. But if it was going to help Primm... and, to some extent, Luna... I would surely do it.

"Lay it on me."

"I'll need you to head to the NLR's outpost, further south following the Long 15. You'll know when you're there when you see a large statuette. There, talk to either Ranger Rough Rider or Major Quail. Ask them about sending more troops out here, and that should get them to do so. And if they ask, tell them I sent you."

I nodded. "Alright, thank you, Lieutenant Matterhorn." He nodded as well, and both AJ and I left the tent. We both left down the street back to the entrance of the overpass. We landed back on the Long 15, and began to head south, under the bridge and leaving Primm.

0900 Hours

Both AJ and I passed the time traveling by talking about the area. "So Dodge is another western town like Goodsprings? Have you ever been there, AJ?"

"Nah. At least... I don't remember..."

"I thought robots like you could remember everything."

AJ chuckled... but after hearing her sigh, it wasn't out of amusement. "No... we're just like any other pony... well, save for the fact we ain't ponies..."

"Oh, come on, AJ... don't... don't say that..."

"...no... no I will say that! You can't change that fact, First!"

"Come on, AJ... I'm... I'm sure maybe if you could find out... where you came from... maybe you can find out more about yourself. What did you say was your make?"

She remained silent for a moment, and then answered, "Bronco. Somewhere just outside of New Pegasus."

I smiled at her, and placed my wing on her shoulder. "Hey... I promise we'll visit that building. Sound good, AJ?"

She turned back to me, her eyes a blue now. She nodded slowly, holding her head low. Suddenly, she picked her head up, and twitched her ears a bit. Her eyes changed to yellow, and she stood absolutely still for a moment. Finally, her eyes flashed red, and she revealed her weapons once more. "Trouble nearby, First."

I was about to pull my weapons out, but she stopped me. "These ain't ponies, First... just follow me, and quickly." She galloped at full speed further down the Long 15, where we had seen another overpass ahead of us. I followed her closely, my speed nothing compared to hers. Finally, I had heard what she had; a shouting, followed by some shooting.

"Th-that sounds like somepony to me!" I admitted to AJ.

We both continued our advance, nearing the gap of the overpass now. As we did, however, we came across a lavender unicorn, her caramel mane barely reaching her neckline. She sat perched on a pile of rubble, a bit high off the ground. She used her magic to hold a pistol, covered in a golden veil, next to her, firing it into a dead... er... ant...

As soon as she took sight of us, I ducked behind AJ, who in turn drew her weapons and trained them onto the unicorn. The unicorn, in response, simply smiled, holstered her pistol, and slinked off the rubble, standing in the road now. "Not another step, stranger!" AJ warned.

The unicorn chuckled, and smiled at us. "Aw, come on! You can't already hate me! I haven't even introduced myself!" She approached us still.

I was pretty sure she wasn't going to kill us... at least that's what I told myself. I asked her, "What happened to you?"

She nickered, and pouted a bit. "Some bastards came up to me stole my rifle and a couple other stuff, and took off! Damn thugs."

"Are you alright?"

"No, I'm not. They left me here to fend against that giant ant. Not only that, but I used my last bullet taking it down."

Hmm... something about her... she seemed a bit pissed off... but almost like it was unnatural to her. "Um... just tell me exactly what happened to you."

"Well, they stole my rifle, Grace... they also stole my teddy bear, Frank! And, if that wasn't enough, they also stole my doll, Peaches! Can you believe it!? They stole my two best friends! They're a bunch of monsters!"

Boy, did I know how that felt. "Yeah...haven't we all? Need some help with that?"

"Yes! Oh, I'd love some help! If you did... I'd find some way to thank you! And it's like destiny you came in right after I got robbed! You're like... ooh! You're like my guardian angel!" She took a look at my left side, and stopped talking, shifting her foreleg awkwardly. "Well... you're a half angel... but still, an angel!" I sighed in disappointment as I was reminded of my severed wing. She seemed to notice my anguish. "Oh, um... I'm sorry Mr. One Wing... is that you're name?"

I nickered a bit. "No... my name's First Class. And... I used to have two wings. I had to get it removed."

"Oh boy... did that hurt?"

"No... which is why I'm worried... I thought it would hurt like hell."

"Hey! It's OK! You still have the other!"

I flapped my right wing a bit, and sighed. "Yeah, I guess... anyways, enough about me. Who are you?"

"My name's Shining Willow! And if you need it, I can help with nightwatch... critters... and I'm fun to have around! Hey... that's it! I hate being alone... maybe after we find these bandits, I can go with you! What do you say?"

She seemed more annoying than fun, but I wasn't going to tell her that. But then again... we could use a little relief on this trek to New Pegasus. "Er... I'm good with it. AJ, what about you?"

"If you trust her, I don't see why not." Her eyes flashed back to green, and she placed her weapons away. Willow, in response, jumped up and down in joy.

"Oh, wonderful! I know we'll get to know each other a lot better and stuff!" She galloped to both of us, and hugged both of us tightly... well, more like strangling in my case as I felt my chest slowly crush the air out of my lungs. I choked and gasped, struggling to take a breath.

"Too... wonderful...!" I strained out, my wing being crushed as well. She let go, and chuckled sheepishly, swinging her foreleg.

"Um... sorry about that... it's just been so long since I've seen a friendly face."

"It's OK... not often you do out here. But before we help you out, I have to make a quick stop at the outpost nearby. That OK?"

"Of course! You're talking about the New Lunar one, right?"

"Yes, ma'am. Know of it?"

"Know of it!? I came into San Palomino from New Moon! There's a lot less here though than New Moon, but New Pegasus did sound promising! Better than Old Pegasus back west." Most ponies were confused between what had been Los Pegasus and what had been Las Pegasus. I'm glad she wasn't one of them...

"Yeah... so did you come from OP, then?"

"Born and raised! Well, after all the minotaurs and dragons left." I flinched a bit... both at hearing minotaurs and dragons. While the dragons I had never ran into until recently, minotaurs were legends themselves. Many were docile and actually helped ponies back west... but those who weren't were some of the nastiest things anypony could... and couldn't see.

"So how did they leave? I'm sure it wasn't because somepony asked nicely..."

"We have Luna to thank for that! She finally saved the town with her big army, and finally made it so settlers and traders, like my family, could live there! That's why she's there... she keeps us safe." Living in New Reno most of my life, I couldn't really know what Luna did... but if Willow here was telling me, I couldn't really argue.

"So you lived in Old Pegasus... are you on a trade run right now?"

She shook her head. "Nope. I was looking for potential caravan partners, though! It, uh... it hasn't been successful so far, as you can tell..."

"It's alright. We can get your stuff back and you can go to... well, wherever it is you wanted to."

She shot that idea down. "Actually... I was planning to stay in San Palomino for a good while. My folks said to go for it, and I wasn't going to let them down." She was actually close to her folks. I honestly had no clue where mine were.

"Since you know so much about the New Lunar Republic, can you fill me in? What is New Moon?"

She suddenly burst out in laughter... hysterical noise at that. "Y-you don't know... what New Moon is?"

"No. I'm from New Reno."

She then stopped laughing. "Oh... that explains it. Well, see, New Moon is the biggest sector in New Equestria. Well, population wise. Area wise would probably be Everfree. But New Moon was made after the New Equestrian War, when Luna went west and Celestia went east. Although... as much as everypony believes, I don't think they fought against each other..."

"Yeah... I wouldn't know too much about that. So what's the NLR doing in San Palomino?"

"Haven't you heard? Between San Palomino and the Canterlot sectors is Everfree! There's a river... it goes all throughout Everfree... it gives us water... and near New Pegasus is a big wall that uses that river for sparky things!"

"I think that would be power, Willow."

"Yeah! Power! Without it, nothing would work in San Palomino!"

Makes sense as to why Luna would find this sector appealing. "Hmm... seems easy enough to occupy Palomino."

"Oh, it's not! I'll show you when we get to the outpost!" I cocked an eyebrow, noticing she sounded joyed even upon mentioning that.

"Um... OK... let's get going then." The three of us trotted down the Long 15 further, passing the overpass and the dead ant.

1000 Hours

The three of us trotted up a hill filled with abandoned and ransacked carts. Upon reaching the summit, I came across what Matterhorn called the "statuette." Rather, this colossal piece was about about two or three dozen meters tall. It depicted two ponies; one dressed in a trench coat and a gas mask, and the other in Lunar Republic trooper armor. Both ponies were shown hoofbumping each other, and grinning widely. Underneath the statue was a plaque, and I trotted up to read it.

Let all of New Equestria note that today, we made history. Palomino's Guardians of the Wastes and the New Lunar Republic's Grand Army have combined to strengthen both ties within the New Lunar Republic and within San Palomino. We shall purge the wicked, liberate the oppressed, and protect the good denizens of the entirety of New Equestria. Eureka... we have found it.

Seemed pretty bold for them to make such a big promise. I did wonder what wicked they were referencing, but it'd probably be best not to find out. As for now, I trotted further up the road, a large shade structure built over it. Further down was a large gate, that extended in two more directions; one towards a pen of some sorts and the other towards a large office building. "OK... AJ, where do you think we should go?"

She seemed to give me an exasperated expression, as if I was the dumbest pony she met. "Hmm... maybe the only building here?"

I turned to the building, as if I had not noticed it before when I surely had. "Huh... I, uh... didn't see that there..."

Willow seemed to find my cluelessness amusing, giggling under her breath. "Oh, First, you're so adorable when you're clueless!" I drooped my ears, staring back at Willow in complete shock.

"Oh, shut up, Willow..." She stopped, and shifted her forelegs awkwardly. I simply trotted towards the office, entered through the front door, and looked around. The building looked much like a post office, with many slots in a wall for both ingoing and outgoing parcels. I trotted to the front desk, where a unicorn stood, using his magic to hold a plume as he scribbled onto many forms.

He looked up, set his quill down, and smiled. "Welcome to the Palomino Outpost. Civilian or Military personnel?"

"Uh, civilian, I guess."

"Alright, thank you. If you need a bunk to stay in for the night, we can set up some of the barracks for you. If you need any repairs, I can set you up with the correct change for the parts."

"You didn't tell me your name..." I said, chuckling a bit.

"Oh... Quail. Um... it's not everyday somepony actually cares to ask for that. Sorry for being a bit surprised. You're new here, huh? It isn't very friendly around here."

"Whatcha mean by that?" I inquired curiously.

"Well, uh... the outpost here... uh... they're not too... keen on... companionship..."

I cocked my eyebrow at that. "So... um... what, uh... what does that mean?" I asked, a bit nervous.

"Well, I don't mind you sticking around but..."

I nodded, finally understanding what he was getting at, my hide tensing a bit. "Oh... it's OK, I guess..." I really wasn't into anypony like that yet. It didn't stop me from looking, though.

"Hey... turn that frown upside down... New Pegasus isn't that far away for the NLR. Endless opportunities."

"Yeah, I was actually headed there myself. I'm sorry, I didn't really introduce myself. I'm First Class."

Quail seemed to nod in conception at that. "Yeah. Matterhorn contacted me that you'd probably be coming."

"Really? How so?" I didn't see any radio or other means of communication in the office.

Quail sparked his horn a bit. "Old unicorn trick. So what did you need?"

"Well, Primm really needs some troopers there to keep it away from convicts and thugs. Do you think you'd be able to help with that?"

Quail placed a hoof on his chin for a moment. "I don't know... I'd need to radio in some more heads here if I sent the ones already present to Primm. But... I think we'll be fine with one day without too many guards here."

"Oh, that's great! Thanks!"

Quail chuckled. "No problem. Considering what you did for the town, I figure the least I can do is fix anything up for you."

"That sounds great! You'd be able to do that?"

"Of course. What needs to be repaired?"

I tapped my Pip-Boy, and selected my pistol. As soon as it appeared, I handed it to Quail. "You're too kind."

He took it, setting it aside for the moment, then turned back to me, smiling. "You flatter me." He caught sight of Willow, and his smile faded away. "Back already, Shining?"

"Uh, well... yeah, Quail... already..." she answered disappointingly.

Quail sighed. "I'd have thought you'd only come back to visit." He took a good look at her, and shook his head. "You got robbed, didn't you?"

She groaned, and nodded solemnly. "Yeah... Fiends... but, that's why First Class is here! He's gonna help me out!"

"As long as you came back in one piece, Willow. But are you sure you'll be OK?"

"Yes, Quail."

"OK. If you and your friends need some refreshment, head into the bar. I'll tell Rough Rider you're going." She nodded, and attempted to rush me and AJ out as quickly as possible. Before we left, Quail waved at us all. "See you all soon!"

"Yeah, you too!" As soon as Willow dragged us out, she led us to another door outside the same building. "Nice guy... you know him?"

"Yeah, I do. He grew up in Old Pegasus like me, but as soon as he joined the Grand Army, he's always been on the move. He hates it. I think you know why..."

I could take a wild guess, but I simply asked, "No... why?"

"He really wants to settle down with somepony but he can't. I do as well. I hated being a trader and always moving about!"

"Sounds unlike me. I really hate sitting still for so long. Without my wing, it just makes me feel irritated. Why do you think I'm a courier?"

"You lived in New Reno, right?"

"I still do. Why?"

"How come you've never heard of New Moon?"

"I don't stick around for very long wherever I head. I don't ask anypony anything and I'm probably sure I have visited it. I just wasn't sure what it was called."

"And San Palomino? Is that where you usually made your deliveries?"

"Yeah... just never as far out as here. Usually, most of what I did was local." I sat down at the counter, and waved the barkeep over. "Can I get... wait... I'm sorry, I really don't know what's here..."

"I'll just bring you some hay fries. Anythin' to drink?"

"Water... just water."

"Ooh! Me too!"

The barkeep turned to AJ. "And uh... you?"

"I suppose you'll expect me to say cider... but no. Just get me some oil." The barkeep cocked an eyebrow, but nodded. As they left, AJ turned back to the two of us. "I don't know why... but I've always found interest in a certain fruit... it bugs me. So I try to avoid it as much as possible."

"Bugs you how?"

"I can't eat it."

"Ah, I see." At the risk of treading some sensitive grounds, I asked, "AJ... are you one of those robots without actual internal organs?"

"Yeah, I am. But having those guts must get awfully cramped."

Boy, did it sometimes... "Can't argue about that."

"Oh, I know! You're lucky cause you don't get belly aches or indigestion... or even worse!"

"What could be worse?" Before Willow had a chance to answer, I placed my wing over her muzzle.

"Uh... not while ponies are eating, Shining." She nodded, and I expected her to remove my wing. She didn't, and instead sent out a muffled giggle, tickling it a bit and causing me to release her.

"I knew it!"

"What?"

"Pegasi are ticklish on their wings!"

"Oh... uh... good for you?" It wasn't just ticklish wings of a pegasi were... they were also extremely fragile and sensitive. It's why I was so worried with why I felt no pain on the stump of my left wing.

We received our food about two minutes later. I ate as quickly as possible... while the prospect of barracks and a bed to sleep in sounded pleasant, I didn't want to feel lazy and remain here the rest of the day. I think I finished not even two minutes after I got it. "Wow, First, you finished that before I even got to try my fries."

"I just want to get out of here. We should get to Dodge before sundown if we can."

"Dodge? Ooh! I know a few ponies there! Maybe after we go there we can find those jackasses that robbed me and take back my stuff!"

"Sure. Do you know where exactly they went?"

"Sure do... well... not..." she admitted, a bit embarrassed.

"...it's alright. I don't think they could have gone far off. We just gotta track 'em down quickly. Know at least which way they went?"

"Yep! They went east of here, down the 95."

"So we go down that path, then. Just finish up your fries and take your water and we can head out."

"I already did!" I blinked, and checked her plate. Within the few seconds that we were talking, she somehow finished them all. I stared, completely perplexed by the empty plate. How did she do that?

"Um... OK... well, let's hit the road then."

I downed as much water as I could and brought along two water bottles, and a few moments later, Willow followed suit... you never know when you'd run into it again in a desert. I slipped out of the bar, leaving some caps on the counter.

1400 Hours

I picked up my gun a few minutes after I had left the bar, before I set off on my way down the hill once more and now following the 95 branching off the Long. I turned back to Willow and AJ. "OK... most likely we'll reach Dodge by the end of today. We'll find a place to stay, rest, and gear up to find those ponies, Shining."

"Oh, goodie! Come on then, and let's get going!"

...I don't know how, or when, but I believe around the time we reached a ruined general store alongside the road, I had the natural instinct to inspect it. The others seemed to notice me subconsciously trotting closer to it. "Hey, First... I wouldn't be poking around in there. Who knows what could be there?"

"Exactly." I continued my approach to the ruins until I began sifting through the rubble, looking for anything. I picked through I believe three pounds of rock and concrete before I came upon a small, metallic case. I lifted it up, gazing at it as I turned it a bit. "Huh... it's a lockbox of some sort... and you know how we can open this?"

"With a key! Oh, but we probably won't be able to find the key under all this junk and stuff..."

I chuckled a bit, and turned to AJ. "Ever heard of a master key, Willow? We have one right here. Think you can get it open, AJ?"

She didn't respond with words. Rather, she extended her hoof, where I saw a blade switch out from it. She brought the container closer to her, made an incision onto the side, and pull out a sheet of metal. She handed the container back to me, smirking. "Oh, I think I can."

I checked inside the container, and looked at what I thought was a green pineapple. I removed it from the container, and peered at it. AJ quickly took it, keeping it away from me. "Hey, what the hell, AJ?"

"Do you seriously not know what this is?"

I scratched my head a bit. "It's a fruit... right?"

She shook her head. "No. This is an explosive. You pull the pin here, and after three or four seconds, it'll blow up."

Huh... from what it sounded like, it seemed just like what dynamite was. I extended my wing and she placed it back. Well, if that pin really made it go off, I didn't want to hold it at risk of it coming off. I tapped the Items key, waited for the explosive to get stored, and turned back to the road. "Alright. Let's get going. It's almost high noon, which means that we can reach Dodge by-" I heard a clink... clink... clink... come closer to us, and I turned to the source. I saw a small container... exactly like the one I had just placed away.

Not a second later, the device went off, sending off a large aura of a blue light. As soon as it did, I felt a bit blinded by the flash, but I heard the distinct sound of a crash behind me. As soon as I shook the white out of my eyes, I turned to the source, and found AJ slumped onto the ground. Willow had already began to shake at her, trying to wake her up. I rushed over to help her.

The last thing I did before blacking out was continue to attempt to wake AJ up, before I felt a sharp smack hit my head...

1900 Hours

I opened my eyes sharply, gasping for a breath. I looked around, the pitch blackness around me slowly radiating with a slight green as my eyes adjusted to it. I found a few wooden boards laid carelessly on the floor... walls so crooked and unnatural I felt like they'd collapse on me at any moment... and a small door along with a few more boards making up a fourth wall inside. After a few moments, I realized I was in some sort of cave. I stood up, but immediately as I tried to, I felt something restrain me with a slink. I turned around, and saw two pairs of chains clamping my legs together.

"Oh no... oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no!" I can't think straight in tight places, I just can't! I immediately galloped to the doorway and slammed into it quickly, but... ha ha... no surprise there... it didn't fucking budge! I slammed... repeatedly... dammit, why wouldn't this door open!? I don't know how many times I did, I lost count after one... and it still wouldn't open, damn it!

I prepared another charge hoping that somehow I could get it to grow a mind of its own and end the assault it had taken by swinging open. As I galloped once more, the door opened, light poured into the room, and I back away a bit, relieved and calmed. That relief soon turned to distress as the pony who opened the door... I couldn't see them well as the light filling the room messed with my vision... lifted me up and dragged me by my wing across the ground. I tried to hold in my cries, but the clenching from my wing was too much, and I gave out occasional shouts of misery. After a few minutes, somepony tossed me to the ground, where both AJ and Willow were strewn onto the ground as well.

AJ wasn't restrained, yet she didn't move whatsoever, and when I inspected her eyes, I saw why. She was inactive... I think... and her metal hide was cold. I turned to Willow, who lay awake and terrified, trembling uncontrollably. "Willow... what's the matter?"

She continued shaking and unresponsive, until she hid her face in her hooves and replied muffled, "W-w-we're in the lair... of some Fiends..."

...that wasn't good at all. I know I've mentioned this before, and I'll say it again; Fiends are a menace to what remains of society. I don't know what made them completely insane... Arcane magic, the Aura from the war, or whatever, but however it was... it did its job on these guys. They'd raid villages, towns, maybe even the outskirts of New Reno where the warehouses were... they'd pillage, murder, and kidnap others... many times we'd never see them again. And when that fact dawned on me, I crawled a bit closer to Willow. "Willow, listen to me... hey... listen..." I tried to persuade her, talking as soothingly as possible.

She turned to me with eyes filled with the fear of the unknown. "What is it, First?"

I didn't really know what to say to her. I couldn't lie to her and say everything was going to be OK... but I wasn't going to say it was hopeless and hope for a quick death either. As I thought, I wondered for a moment, and checked my chains. As I did, my eyes widened, and I noticed my Pip-Boy was still attached to me. I looked around a moment, nopony else around. I raised my left foreleg slowly to Willow, and whispered, "Willow... this is important... tap the screen... and tap the bobby pin..."

"Are... are you sure that'll work?"

I simply nodded. Fiends were dangerous and brutal, no doubt. But they were also stupid and lacking in anything too... how do I put this... high tech. The chains I had on were pretty rusty, and they could probably be picked easily. As Willow tapped the screen, the bobby pin dropped onto the floor with a soft tink. I winced as it did... noise like that risking our lives always made me uneasy. I quickly picked it up in my wing, turned to my forelegs, and inserted the pin inside the keyhole of the chains. I stopped immediately... and dared not to make another move with the pin at the risk of it breaking.

I slowly turned it left, and immediately I heard a small click... if that happened and the chains didn't fall off, it meant that was the wrong way. I turned the pin to the right slowly, moving and following the small pathway it needed to follow. I think I moved it through the path with only two sudden changes in the direction. It was then that the click rang to my ears as the chains slinked off of my forelegs. I tried to stand up once more... but I had forgotten my hind legs were chained as well. "That's OK... I can work with this... let's see..." I tapped my Pip-Boy, picked my razor, and held it ready in my wing.

"First, don't... there's more out there."

"How many?"

"Six."

...I never knew why, but that number was my reference for nearly anything I did. If it was six or more raiders, I'd not bother taking them on. If it was six hundred or more caps to bet at New Reno, I'd drop out. If I carried more than six bullets, I wouldn't have a revolver. Still, I needed to do something...

I turned back to Willow, and slowly but surely undid her chains as well. "Anything else I should know about them?"

"They plan to eat us..."

Sick. "No, I meant in regards to where each one is... where we are... where we could get something to help us..."

She nodded. "There's three in a kitchen... one waiting outside the door... and two guarding the cave..."

"We can work with that." I took out my service rifle as well, handed it to Willow, and gave her a clip of twenty rounds. She took it, inspected it for a moment, and readied it by pulling on charging handle. I was impressed... she seemed to know how to use guns well. Most likely more than I did.

I held my knife in my wing, crept silently towards the door, and peered through a small slit through it. I saw a burly earth pony, holding a large blade in his hoof, slamming it onto the table as he waited. "That's a fucking big knife..." I muttered out, trembling a bit.

Willow peered through the slit as well. "Oh, silly, that's not a knife! That's a machete! It's way bigger than a puny knife."

I sighed in annoyance, and turned back to the slit. Obviously, I wasn't going to take that guy down easy. Willow, however, seemed to have another idea. She raised the rifle to the slit, and aimed. "OK... I think I can get a clear shot. Whenever you're ready, tell me."

I turned back to AJ, and rushed back to her, trying to figure out how to switch her back on. But with no buttons, levers, switches, or anything on her, I couldn't really find a way to do so. With my razor, I struck the chains on my hind legs, breaking them as the corroded rust sifted into dust. I placed my head underneath her belly as I struggled to lift her onto my back, and as she rested squarely I tried my best to stand upright. I drudged slowly to Willow. "OK, Willow... if you think you got a clear shot, I guess you can-"

She cut me off with a bang as she immediately fired one shot out the door. I quickly looked through the slit as I saw what looked like a wasp darting through the air, and when it stung the pony directly in his jaw, he recoiled, slowly leaned back, and fell onto the ground.

"Luna almighty!" I shrieked out, terrified by the sudden ringing in my ears. Willow paid me no mind, and we heard another door open. I didn't bother to look through the slot again as she held down the trigger a few more seconds, sending out a volley of booms within the room, until her clip was dry and she lowered the gun. She handed it back to me, and I took it, my hoof shaking uncontrollably. She trotted out of the storage room, yet I didn't dare leave with AJ on my back.

...I waited a few moments, before Willow reentered the room, carrying another rifle and smiling widely. I didn't know whether to be terrified or happy. "Yeah, I knew it! These were the guys who took my gun and my other stuff! They would've gotten me too but thank Celestia and Luna for that giant ant, right?"

"Uh... yeah..." I was still a bit unsettled by how suddenly she had lighted up the cave with gunfire. I finally took it upon myself to step out of the room, and into the much larger den of the cave. I looked at the ground... small splotches of dark puddles here and there broken only by four immobile lumps on the ground, emitting an odor into the cave. I covered my snout with my wing as I approached each one. "Ugh... hey Willow... let's get these out of here..." I said, setting AJ on the table.

She nodded, picked up two with her magic, and lifted them towards the mouth of the cave. She dropped them carelessly just before the last doorway outside, and I dragged the other two carcasses towards them. I dropped them next to each other, and groaned in disgust. I backed away as my my nostrils reeked of that foul stench... and I galloped back to the den before I could lose my lunch. While I might be used to seeing death and such... the reek of it never ceased to haunt me.

As I looked from afar at the carrion, something came to my mind. "Hey Willow... didn't you say there were two others?"

"Hmm? Yeah, there were! But they're probably out raiding some caravans or other travelers. As long as one of us keeps watch, they shouldn't sneak up on us! Ooh! Can I keep watch? Please?"

I really didn't want to keep watch myself, so I simply nodded. "Fine... I'm taking AJ back to the quarters so she isn't in the crossfire. If you can, can you please see what these guys have around here? Maybe something useful?"

"Definitely! I'll wake you up when it's your turn to watch and I'm tired."

"Yeah, that sounds good, I guess." I returned to AJ and slumped her over my back once more. With a strain, I said, "Good night, Willow."

"Night, First!"

I trotted back into our quarters, setting AJ down beside me. I spun around in a circle a bit, trying desperately to find a good way to go about this... but obviously that wasn't going to work with a stone floor. I simply laid on my side as the realization came to me. I curled myself into an imperfect sphere to preserve as much heat as I could.... closed my eyes... and finally fell into hibernation...

{END DAY 3 LOG TRANSMISSION}