• Published 12th Mar 2014
  • 1,617 Views, 33 Comments

The Summerbug Factor - Natsumushi



An artist from Cloudsdale is hired to create some cloud art for Rarity’s next Fashion show but things quickly begin to get interesting as Summerbug meets up with a pair of old schoolmates and stirs emotions within them both old and new.

  • ...
18
 33
 1,617

Chapter 8 - Recreation or Romance? pt.2

The party had just begun and quietly, Derpy dressed in some of the best clothing she had ever gotten and with a makeover that really made her stand out, stood by the punch bowl fighting back feelings of betrayal and sadness. She hadn’t noticed some of the stallions that were hitting on her and she didn’t care in that moment. They were just being boys, right? Boys joke and teased like that all the time, right? She pondered, desperately trying to make sense of the small, suggestive moment the two shared. Then she felt a hoof gently rest on her shoulder, a bit startled she glanced over and saw Silver-Stitch looking at her with concern in his eyes.

“Honey, what’s wrong?” he asked innocently. She struggled for a moment to piece words together before spitting out, “How could you? You assured me you wouldn’t try to get with him.” She accused, tears beginning to stain her cheeks.

It became very clear what was going on and he felt ashamed of himself. “I wasn’t, Derpy. To be honest I didn’t expect him to joke like that, and I couldn’t resist teasing back in kind. If I’d have known that it would upset you I’d have restrained myself, but I wasn’t trying to get with him, it was just acting. And I’m sorry I hurt you, I truly and genuinely am.” He replied, wiping a stray tear from the corner of his eye. Derpy felt his sincerity and mentally bucked herself for letting her mind wander into such territory. If he was planning to swoop in and take Summerbug, Silver would not have put in so much effort into beautifying her.

“You’re, you’re okay…I was just overreacting, and I’m sorry too, Silver. I know you really missed him and I shouldn’t have gone there. Let’s get to know the ‘new’ Summerbug together, okay?” she said, putting her own hoof on his. He gave her a small smile and a gentle nuzzle, which she affectionately returned.

“Yes, lets.” He replied, and two trotted together in the direction where Rainbow dash and Summerbug last were.

“Where did they go?” Silver-Stitch questioned. Derpy shrugged in response.

“There they are!” Derpy said as she noticed Rainbow Dash hovering a few feet away, and quickly the two made their way over to the small cluster of ponies around them. As they neared closer, the two overheard a conversation taking place.

“Rainbow, darling, for somepony who lacks some fashion sense I must admit that the quick makeover you gave Summerbug does compliment him. However I’d not have mussed up his mane. It would look better parted down the center.” The white unicorn mare said.

“I think this makes him look cooler, a little less mild-mannered.” Rainbow Dash argued.

“ I…I think he looked fine before. But, if he likes it, that’s fine too.” Fluttershy added softly, her eyes darting to Summerbug, then away again as she timidly pawed at the floor.

Fashion was not Summerbug’s forte, so the overall conversation was going in one ear and out the other, that’s when he noticed Silver-Stitch and Derpy approach. He hadn’t noticed before, but she was all done up and she looked very attractive. It wasn’t long before his mind wondered into more affectionate thoughts, and he felt his face grow warm. I’ll need to remember to compliment her.

“There you guys are. Are yous alright?” Summerbug questioned suddenly noticing Derpy and Silver’s glassy eyes.

“Yes, we just needed to discuss something important real quick. So who are these fine mares before you? I know Fluttershy (hello sweetie!), but who is this fabulous unicorn?” Silver asked, trying to ease any tension.

“I am Rarity, it’s a pleasure to make you’re acquaintance.” She replied

“Oh. My. Goodness! I’m Silver-Stitch, we communicated earlier via letter.” He replied ecstatically.

“Ah! Well a fair hello indeed! I look forward to seeing you’re line. It’s wonderful to meet you!” Rarity added; a light blush upon her face. What a handsome stallion. She thought to herself. And quite fashionable too!

Fluttershy noticed the way Rarity studied the blond manned and brown coated stallion and leaned in to whisper something into her ear. Rarity suddenly blushed harder and looked a little downtrodden.

“Oh! I almost forgot to mention! There is a motel not too far from here. It’s the one Buggy is staying at! And since Canterlot is pretty far away, you should think about staying the night!” Pinkie told Silver as she appeared suddenly from behind the table.

“Oh…Well, um, thanks, Pinkie.” Silver-Stitch stammered.

“Sure thing, Jelly-bean!”

“So what’s going on now?” Summerbug questioned, somewhat confused at the sequence of events that had just transpired.

“Well, you see Darling, Pinkie sent an invite to Silver-Stitch here and as fate would have it, Derpy here mentioned to him that I’ll be holding a fashion show this week. So he sent me a letter asking, if he too, could display his own line alongside mine. I told him would be thrilled with the idea. So here we are.” Rarity summarized for Summerbug.

“Indeed! And after hearing that YOU, Summerbug, were going to be doing cloud sculptures for this social event, I simply had to be a part of it!” Silver interjected with glee. Then with a more serious and gentle tone added, “And just to set the record straight, it’s not in any way to seduce you. After we pegasai heard about what happened to your home in Cloudsdale, many of us thought the worst. I am truly happy that you’re alive and well.” He finished as his eyes began to water.

“I’m really sorry I didn’t stay in contact, I just wanted to start over and forget everything. I know how you pinned after me for years, and that I should how known how you would react. Maybe sometime I’ll share everything…but not right now. I’m so happy to see you again, really. If you would like, you can come to my room and catch up little bit, does that sound good?” Summerbug offered, giving Silver a playful punch in the shoulder in an attempt to cheer him up.

“Of course, and I forgive you.” Silver replied, a smile crossing his muzzle. “That would be wonderful. Oh! That reminds me, I have some things for you!” Then began to dig through his saddlebags and pulled out several neatly wrapped packages.

“Not you too, Silver…It’s bad enough that Rainbow Dash got me things, you didn’t need to get me things also…” Summerbug almost whined.

“Oh, nonsense! I have, literally, 16 Years’ worth of gifts for you! Missed birthdays, missed Hearts in Hooves days and of course missed Hearth’s Warming gifts!” Silver-Stitch insisted.

As he rummaged through his bags, Summerbug turned his attention to Derpy, who had hardly said anything since he got the party.

“Hey Derpy, I-I just wanted to say that you…you look very beautiful…” he told her sincerely, feeling warmth creep into his cheeks. She wore an elegant dress made out of silk, and her man looked professionally done, it was combed one side, curling gently at the tip, while the rest was braided and hung over her shoulder with ribbons woven into the braid like accents, which ended in fancy little bows.

Derpy’s heart skipped a beat as she drank in his compliment. Blushing heavily, she replied “T-thank you.”

“Seriously, you’re buckin’ hot!” Rainbow Dash interjected. “I never thought I’d ever see you in fancy dress ever again. I think the last time I saw you in a dress was at the Starlight Dance. You’re seriously looking hot, and that’s coming from me.” Dash added, deepening Derpy’s blush.

As Rainbow turned her gaze to Summerbug, and suddenly felt a pang of jealousy pluck at her heartstrings as he smiled sweetly at Derpy. W-What do I care? He’s just a friend…I don’t even really know him all that well. So what if he flirts with other ponies, it’s not like I like him like that or anything… Dash thought to herself. But then why did she feel the need to get him those gifts? It’s not like they were really expensive or anything (to her), but she still found herself struggling with this odd sensation she got around him. They had only just met that morning, but it felt so much longer to her.

“Aha!” Silver-Stitch cried out, as he began pressing the gifts he had into Summerbug’s arms, catching him off guard.

“Think of these as the first few in a long chain of gifts to come, and this time I’ll make sure we stay in touch.” He rebutted with a grin.

“Thank you…” Summerbug sighed, and reluctantly began to unwrap them. Inside he found a beautiful scarf, blue with gold trim. In fancy writing was Summerbug’s name stitched in gold near one of the ends. Underneath it was something that made his heart ache. It was Summerbug’s Hoof-made letter to Rainbow Dash from that terrible day from so long ago. He didn’t know how, or why, but it was refurbished and actually looked better than before. Upon further inspection, he noticed that it was literally sewn back together with a very fine thread. The Stitch work was amazing and actually managed to enhance the overall piece.

“Y-you kept this? And fixed it? All this time, all these years…you took that shredded love letter and..and…” Tears began to force their way out, landing softly on the ground. He couldn’t explain why, but this touched him so deeply, so profoundly, that he suddenly felt weak. He couldn’t fight back the tears any longer, he had fought them for years, and now they were going to finally win. His emotions rolled out like a river, and he felt three sets of hooves embrace him. “…thank you…” he managed to choke out. After a few moments, he pulled himself together and wiped his face, then looked around at all his friend’s faces, both old and new, or soon to be.

“Thank you. Thank you all so very much.” He said shakily.

“You’re very welcome.” Silver replied.

“Pshhh, don’t sweat it!” Dash Chimed in.

“As long I made you super happy, that’s all the thanks I need!” Pinkie piped in.

And with another group hug, the group broke and began to meander about the party.