• Published 12th Mar 2014
  • 1,617 Views, 33 Comments

The Summerbug Factor - Natsumushi



An artist from Cloudsdale is hired to create some cloud art for Rarity’s next Fashion show but things quickly begin to get interesting as Summerbug meets up with a pair of old schoolmates and stirs emotions within them both old and new.

  • ...
18
 33
 1,617

Chapter 4 - Party Plight

Chapter 4
Party Plight

It had been a busy morning, and he felt not only worn out, but also a little unnerved. So far Summerbug ran into not only one, but two old schoolmates. After he and Rainbow Dash had parted ways, he started to get upset; a little angry even. He had come to do a job for a client, not meet up with the ghosts of his past. He hated his past. He emotionally hurt other ponies because he himself was emotionally crushed. He isolated himself, built up walls, and refused friendships. All so that he would never feel that pain again, and now, after 16 years his past caught up to him and the very filly that shattered his heart, was not only back in his life, but also extending her hoof in friendship! Of all of the ponies in Ponyville, and he just so happened to meet up her, Rainbow Dash. If not for the generous amount of bits his client offered, he'd have already up and left. When they use the term 'starving artist,' they really mean it. And a pony can only live for so long on grass, noodles and water.

What he hadn't told Rainbow Dash was that when he had gotten home, on that very same day, his mom told him they needed to move right away because his father had gambled and drank away the mortgage bits again for what seemed to be the millionth time, and that they only had 24 hours to move out. And that she was leaving his father because he didn't care for the family.

Summerbug knew all too well the fights his mom and dad had at night. Summerbug's father would often stumble home late from a night of bar hopping and hookers, so he had no qualms about disowning his own father. He witnessed his father's selfishness first hoof after all. There were a few times he remembered that he even took a few hits from the booze idled stallion to protect his mom on bad nights.

So Summerbug and his mom moved far away to a small town called Rockhaven. It was nice enough and one of their neighbors even owned a rock farm. They made some decent bits making limestone and marble furniture for the more well-to-do families. Yet they remained humble (and often times stoic). They dressed kind of old fashioned too, come to think of it.

It was only recently that he decided to move back to Cloudsdale in hopes to get some more exposure. After all, weather ponies liked to have at least one cloud sculptor so that the ponies that liked to laze about in soft warm grass and cloud gaze could see what shapes were in the clouds. A cloud sculptor's job was essentially to make these uniquely shaped clouds for that very propose. However, freelance artists like Summerbug had to get special permission from the local weather team to use their clouds on the ground for special events. And more often than not cloud sculptures were usually a popular attraction as earth ponies and unicorns would be able to actually get close enough to touch the fluffy water vapor.

I never should have taken this job... It's nice that I was able to clear the air between Dash and I. Tartarus, why couldn't I just let things be? She didn't even notice who I was until I opened my mouth and told her! Did I really want her to recognize me that bad? Tartarus, I haven't even been on a date and I'm 26! I guess I'm still afraid...how pathetic. I can't even work up the courage to ask out any mare that I admire.

Allowing his self-loathing to quench his short lived anger, he sighed as he made his way to the hotel he was staying at for the week. Despite his annoyance, he had to admit that Rainbow Dash had grown into quite the sexy mare, and that even Fluttershy, that lanky timid filly, had grown up to be absolutely gorgeous! She could be a model if she wanted to be.

Come to think of it, wasn’t she on the cover of a few magazines a few months back? He pondered.

As he approached, he noticed a mail mare in front of his room with a package under her wing. She appeared quite charming as her grayish-silver fur looked incredibly soft and her golden mane swayed gently as she moved her head around. Then something clicked in his head as his eyes fell upon her own.

Don’t tell me...

She looked up and he could hear her say to herself “I’m sure this is the right room...”

She then looked over to Summerbug as if to ask a question, and immediately he knew for sure who it was. That quirky, cross-eyed stare was unmistakable. Her jaw hung agape as she took in who was standing before her, letting the package fall unceremoniously onto the ground as she stood frozen in shock. The world seemed to stand still as she watched in disbelief as the sky blue pegasus gingerly approached her...

“...Summerbug?” she finally managed to choke out. She was so overwhelmed with emotion. Sure she only ever interacted with him once 16 years ago, however she couldn’t help but feel the resurgence of her fillyhood crush returning in full.
“Hello, Derpy, it’s been some time hasn’t it?” he asked gently, "...So...you live in Ponyville now too, I take it?" he continued casually, trying to make the situation less awkward for the both of them.

"Yeah, I'm actually the mail mare. Um...so is this your place?" she asked, finally picking up the package that she had carelessly dropped.

"Yes, it is, for the following week at least. The local seamstress, Rarity, had offered me a cloud sculpting job for a fashion show of her's. According to the few letters we sent back and forth, she wants to make a high society show of it. She offered a large sum of bits for my talents, how could I refuse?" he replied as he approached the room. "If you're not too busy, would you like to come in for a little? Maybe have some tea or water?" he politely offered.

A bright blush found its way across Derpy's face as she shied away. He also noticed her fidget from time to time nervously. She looked a little upset as well, as if she had been harshly scolded for doing something wrong. And after a bit of thought, Summerbug concluded that on some level that she was still hurt over that small incident years ago. He knew that most normal ponies let the past go and eventually forget about the stupid grade school drama, but here he was, still getting upset over silly issues from back then as well. He could buck himself for being as foalish as he had been acting lately. Well why the buck not? If nothing else it'll give me solace. I should start a list of 'Ponies I need to talk to.' Stupid past drama ruining my present life...

Derpy suddenly felt a soft wing pull her into a gentle hug, causing her to gasp in surprise. The entire situation went from awkward to confusing. Summerbug actually initiating physical contact? Actually hugging somepony else of his own volition? These thoughts raced through her mind as she found herself suddenly nuzzling into his neck sweetly. Then she heard Summerbug say a phrase that made her heart skip and her eyes water.

"'Hugs always make me feel better when I'm all kinds of sad, so I thought 'I should hug her', and so I did.'" he replied, smiling warmly at her.

"You...remembered that?" she replied, wiping away a stray tear as a warm smile crept across her lips.

"Barely a day goes by that I don't recall it at some point throughout the day, and I think I know why." he began, as Derpy felt butterflies suddenly invade her belly. Could he actually like her? Was he about to confess secret feelings that he had for her, only now resurfacing after years of seclusion and yearning for more? I've been reading too many romance novels. she thought to herself, blushing in embarrassment at her own wild fantasies. She took a deep breath, bracing herself for whatever Summerbug was about to say to her.

"I know that it's been quite some time, and I know that when last we met, I was kind of a jerk when all you were trying to do was cheer me up. I also realize that I kind of blew up at you for asking an innocent question. And for all of that I would like to apologize to you. You didn't deserve any of that. I know it's a really late apology, but do you think that you could possibly forgive me? I would be willing to further reconcile if need be."

All she could do was take in that which she had just heard. His words washed over her as he spoke, immersing her in a torrent of emotions that she had not known that she had retained from her past. She was angry, happy, and hopeful.
"I suppose we could, but tonight is a Pinkie Party, and I still need to deliver some out of town mail yet. I haven't even found a foal-sitter for Dinky yet.-"

"You have a foal?" Summerbug asked, surprised. "Not to say I never thought you wouldn't find a special somepony, but you're a bit young, like Twenty-three-ish? Actually forget that I said anything, you're a grown mare. I'll shut up now." He replied, mentally chastising himself for how tactless and judgmental he must have sounded right then.

Derpy appeared ashamed at first, but by her expression it soon became evident she was offended and gave him that protective and crippling look that only a proud mother could give. He feared for his life at that moment as he gulped audibly.
"You aren't very good at making conversation, are you?" she asked bitterly. It was Summerbug's turn to turn away in shame. The truth is that she was absolutely right. He had never before stopped to think about it, but he was actually really rude and nosey more often than not, it suddenly became very clear to him at that moment. He turned to Derpy, and somberly admitted to her, "No, I'm really not. I'm sorry for offending you, I didn't mean to. I'll be going in now. Nice seeing you again..." and with a sigh, he unlocked his room door and went in.

Derpy heard the sincerity in his tone and, likewise remembering about the package, stopped the door with her wing before Summerbug was able to fully close it.

"Look, Summerbug, if you need help or anything on how to talk to other ponies, and not come off as kind of mean, Princess Twilight Sparkle could probably help you out. Or if being around a Princess seems little scary you could probably also get some help from Fluttershy or maybe even your client, Rarity."

Summerbug paused and gave the suggestion serious consideration, then looked over to the mare. “Okay, I will. Thank you very much Derpy. Oh. And about the ‘Pinkie party’ you mentioned earlier, is a crazy pink mare with a fluffy tail and mane in charge of it?”

“Yeah! She makes some of the best muffins! You know her?” She inquired.

Summerbug facehooved as he recalled the bubbly, pink mare’s words. ‘Hey we totally need to throw a party for Skyguy! Hi! I’m Pinkie Pie by the way! What’s your name?’ and ‘We GOTTA throw you a party now! Ohmygosh! Ohmygosh! I got so much planning to do now! I’m so excited!’

“What’s wrong, don’t you like muffins?’ Derpy asked with a concerned face as she witnessed his reaction.

“No, no, muffins are fine; it’s just that when I came into town with Rainbow Dash I also ran into some of her friends. I already mentioned Rarity, but apparently she’s friends with others, I recall a cow-pony named something like Apple-hat; I think. Fluttershy and Pinkie as well. Pinkie mentioned about throwing me a party as soon as she met me, but I thought she was just crazy. Does she really do that?” he questioned, fearing the answer.

“Yep! That’s Pinkie for you! She’ll find any excuse to throw a party, and they are really fun too. And just so you know, the cow pony you mentioned is Applejack.” Derpy began to snicker as said Apple-hat to herself. “SO that explains why Pinkie was running around more giggly than usual. If that is the case you better not miss it, or she’ll be sad. Nopony likes a sad Pinkie.”

Summerbug’s eye twitched. A party? An actual party, for me? A total newcomer to Ponyville?- This town is crazy…

“Well, I need to finish my rounds, hope to see you later!” Derpy said as she hoofed him his mail and left. As Summerbug watched her leave, he could have sworn she was actually sauntering away in a lascivious manner, and the motion memorized him momentarily. After a good minute of watching her walk away, she took flight and Summerbug closed the door and took a deep breath. As he sorted through his mail, he found a letter addressed to him that he did not recognize. The package was the art supplies that he would need in order to do his best work for his client, however, this particular letter was pink and smelled like it had frosting on it. As he opened the letter he found out that there was indeed frosting on the envelope with his name written on it from Pinkie Pie. Frosting? Really? He pondered the mental stability of this mare now more than he had before, and he just met her.

Hello!,
I’m Pinkie Pie and I’m throwing a super-awesome surprise party just for you! But if it’s a surprise party I just ruined it, and if I ruined it then you won’t be surprised and then you’d be sad and I don’t want you to be sad. So it’s not a surprise…but it is going to be an awesome party for the newest pony in Ponyville! And seeing as it’s your party you’re totally invited! There’ll be games, and food and music and all kinds of fun stuff! And you can meet all my friends and then be their friends as well and we’ll be super friends! It’ll be at Sugarcube Corner at five and then when all the little foals get sleepy and their mommy’s and daddy’s need to take them home around nine, then we can all continue the party at Applejack’s barn for big pony fun! Unless you don’t drink hard cider, which in that case you could leave too, but who wouldn’t wanna hang out with all their pals over a cold one? And I have some special friends coming too! Hope to see you later, Skyguy!

Your friend, Pinkie Pie!

P.s.- If you have pictures in your portfolio of your artwork I would totally love to see them! Rarity told me all about your work and I really want to see your sweet work for myself!

Summerbug slowly placed the letter onto a nearby nightstand and crawled under the covers of the bed.

Sweet Celestia, what have I gotten myself into...