• Published 6th Mar 2014
  • 931 Views, 25 Comments

A Paladin's Strength - Blaze Riaz



A retired soldier moves to Ponyville to start his civilian life but an encounter and decisions changes his original plans...

  • ...
2
 25
 931

Chapter 5: The Confrontation, The Marshal

The Cloudsdale Flight Academy is a prestigious school for Pegasi. Many graduates from this school turn into Wonderbolts or other great fliers of their generation. One such Pegasus flew off from the locker room heading toward the dorms. While flying over the expert track, he noticed a yellow flank with a fiery tail of two shades of orange stuck in a cloud. The white stallion flew down to the cloud to investigate.

“I might be mistaken, but you’re supposed to fly around the cloud.” the stallion teased. A squeak sounded from the cloud as the exposed legs twitched.

“I… uh…” replied the mare as she struggled to free herself.

He raised an eyebrow, “wasn’t expecting that,” muttered the stallion to himself. “Did I scare you? Sorry, I was only heading off to the dorms when I noticed you stuck here. Need help, by any chance?” He asked.

“N… no, I’ll be fine on my own.” Stuttered the mare. After a few more seconds of struggling the mare’s legs dropped down in defeat. “Actually… could you help me?”

The stallion chuckled while he hovered to the side of the cloud. With a swift kick to the side, it dissipated, freeing the trapped mare. The mare fell to the ground with a soft thud and “Omph!” The stallion glided down to meet her.

“Let me guess, you were trying to fly through this course and misjudged the turn to crash right into the cloud?” The stallion chuckled as he held his hoof out to help the mare up. All she did was stare at him before swatting his hoof away and getting up on her own.

“Doesn’t matter what I was trying to do, I failed to even get on the track team.” Sulked the mare.

“You tried to join the track team?”

“What, you’re going to make fun of me for not making it, too!?”

“Why would I do that?”

“Who are you anyways, what were you doing here this late?” Questioned the mare.

“Oh, right, I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Vigilant Paladin, Captain of the track team,” answered Vigilant. The mare’s eyes shrank.

“You’re Vigilant? The Vigilant, the second year captain who outflew his seniors last year?” Inquired the mare.

“Uh, yeah? Who are you, are you a freshman?”

“I’m… um… I’m Spitfire...” Spitfire whispered from under her blushing cheeks while she pawed the ground with a hoof.

“I wasn’t able to go to the tryouts so I don’t know how you failed, mind sharing?” inquired Vigilant. Spitfire looked to the ground, she was debating in her head if she wanted to tell him what happened at her tryout.

“I…. I messed up on a sharp turn on the basic track…” She shyly answered blushing as she looked down, her hair falling down in front of her face.

Vigilant looked back to the basic track, thinking of where that would be. “Were you nervous?” He finally asked.

“Ye… yes…”

“Hmm...mind showing me what you can do then?” He asked, trotting over to the track.

“What?! But I already had my shot and messed up, and I am still nervous to even show you. I’ve heard how you outflew the last captain, I would look terrible out there compared to you.” protested Spitfire.

“So, my reputation precedes me? Come on, show me what you got.”

With hesitation, Spitfire followed the captain to the starting line of the basic track. Vigilant popped his neck and placed his flight goggles over his face.

“Wait? Are you going to fly against me?” Questioned Spitfire.

“Not really, I find it better to assess a ponies flying ability while I fly with them. Now ready or not…”

Without warning he took off down the track. After taking the time to realize what happened Spitfire followed suit…

______________________________________________________________________________


Several days have passed since last Spitfire was in Ponyville, where she met up with her old friend Vigilant. Winter Wrap-Up was coming soon and everywhere in Equestria, ponies were preparing for the occasion. Vigilant was sitting on a bench in the park reading a book as the foals were having a snowball fight. The white stallion’s ear twitched to the tell-tale sign of wing beats, his first instinct on who it might be was Rainbow Dash, coming to bug him to teach her to be a better flier. To his surprise the voice he heard was a certain Captain of the greatest fliers of Equestria.

“So the old war hero is sitting in the park watching over the foals and reading a book.” teased Spitfire.

“Yes, I am, these foals need to have an eye on them at all times, while I read one of my favorite books.” Replied Vigilant sarcastically.

Spitfire looked over at the playing foals and back at Vigilant and chuckled. “Why are you out here reading? Shouldn’t you be helping everypony prepare for Winter Wrap-Up?” Inquired the mare.

“No, not really, they actually have most of the preparations completed and there is no need for me to interfere. They have done this long before I showed up.” Answered Vigilant. After several minutes of awkward silence, Vigilant placed a bookmark before returning the book into his saddlebag as it leaned against one of the bench’s legs. “Now, I have a question for you.”

Spitfire jumped a little to the sudden voice of her friend. “Oh… uh, sure, ask away.” She stuttered out.

“Shouldn’t you be helping with the preparations for Cloudsdale and Canterlot?” asked Vigilant as he cocked an eyebrow.

“You know that Cloudsdale only waits for the sun to warm up the skies and Canterlot just needs us to clear them, everything else is done by magic.” Spitfire answered with a fake annoyance in her tone.

“Alright then, what brings you here to this humble town? Are you here just to see me?” Teased the white stallion as he got up.

“N… n… n… no, I was… You know we haven’t seen each other since you graduated and joined the military.” Stuttered Spitfire with a huge blush that appeared through her yellow coat.

“You don’t have to be so embarrassed about hanging out with me.” Chuckled Vigilant. Both Pegasi began to trot out of the park. As they were leaving, they saw Applebloom and Scootaloo running from Sweetie Belle who was holding a large snowball with her telekinesis.

“Do you remember the Hearth's Warming Eve party you threw for the track team?” Asked Spitfire.

“How could I forget, Soarin stuffed himself with all the pies while Surprise ate too much sugar and was bouncing off the walls.” Laughed Vigilant. As the two Pegasi walked past ‘Sofa and Quills’ they both heard a loud crashing noise and the scream of Davenport. Acting quickly, they both entered the store to see most of the sofas destroyed, Davenport was in the far corner, cowering under two stallions.

“You should have known that if you didn’t pay us this would happen.” said the small black stallion that was wearing a dark blue suit and fedora.

“I… I… I just d… don’t have the money… give… give me more time.” Stuttered Davenport

“Hey! What’s going on here!?” Shouted Vigilant. The two stallions looked over their shoulders at the two Pegasi.

“What do we have here?” Asked the black stallion as he turned and trotted up to them.

“I asked you a question,” barked Vigilant

“Whoa, there, tough guy, we were only here to make sure this poor stallion wasn’t hurt,” claimed the black stallion.

“That’s not what we heard when we came in,” remarked Spitfire as she stared him down.

“Venny, I don’t think they’ll buy it,” grunted a rather large green stallion that was wearing a grey suit.

“Not if you say that, Sev!” shouted Venny

“You’re threatening him for protection money?” Vigilant inquired.
“Now we can’t let you leave… huh Sev mind taking care of them?

“Heh, this will be fun!” chuckled the large stallion.

The large green stallion trotted up to Spitfire, grinning and laughing all the while. Sev looked menacingly down at Spitfire, he brought back one of his hooves and swung it down at the fiery mare. However, instead of hitting the mare, Sev’s hoof impacted the wood floor leaving a hole.

“Wha?!”

Before Sev had time to realize he missed, Vigilant plowed right into him. Just before they impacted the opposite wall , Vigilant quickly placed all of his hooves onto Sev’s chest and jumped off him. Sev impacted the wall leaving a huge crater, with a roar he pulled himself out and charged at Vigilant, rage in his eyes. Before the two stallions collided Vigilant dodged to the side, Sev slide to a halt plowing through one of the broken sofas. Taking the initiative this time Vigilant took off towards Sev, dodging a punch as he came up close. Vigilant grabbed Sev’s extended hoof, throwing the large stallion over his shoulder. The green stallion rolled off his back and prepared to swing at Vigilant again when Spitfire flew by and punched him in the face. Dazed for a second, Sev swung his forehooves around wildly, unfortunately for Spitfire one swing struck her across her as she attempted to strike him again. Vigilant dashed forward, sliding under Sev, and took his legs out from under him, causing his face to slam into the floor. Vigilant stared at the large green stallion for a few seconds. No movements other than his slow breath and Vigilant turned his attention to Spitfire who was slowly getting back to her hooves.

“Spit! You ok?” questioned Vigilant as he galloped up to her side.

“Ye… yeah I’m fine, just dazed a bit.” stuttered Spitfire. Vigilant helped her up and trotted over the unconscious stallion.

“Hey, Hero! You may want to come outside!” shouted Venny. Spitfire and Vigilant looked at each other for a second before they exited the building. As they exited they noticed five different Pegasus ponies in suits standing around the entrance to the building. Behind them and on top of a stall stood Venny as he held Scootaloo in one hoof and a knife with the other.

“Scootaloo!” shouted Spitfire as she stared daggers at Venny.

“Eheh, Looks like this filly was the right one to get.” chuckled the black stallion and his fellow suited stallions. “Now, if you want this little filly ba…” just before Venny could finish his threat, Vigilant flapped his powerful wings dashing at incredible speed up to the stallion grabbing Scootaloo and dashing back next to Spitfire. “...ck and… WHAT!?” shouted the befuddled stallion. Spitfire and all of the suited stallions stared at Vigilant in disbelief.

“How?” questioned Spitfire her mouth ajar . Vigilant stood there glaring at the stallions in front of him with Scootaloo in one of his hoofs, Spitfire still could not believe what just transpired before her very eyes. Vigilant flew up to Venny at speeds even she never seen and got Scootaloo before Venny even knew what happened.

“Spitfire, we don’t have time to talk about what just happened. I need you to take Scootaloo and fly off to Twilight’s tree house.” asserted the white stallion as he gave her Scootaloo and placed his hat on top of her head. Hr took off straight up into the sky before she could object, following his request Spitfire took off as well.

“WHAT ARE YOU MORONS STANDING THERE FOR!? GET THE STALLION BEFORE HE GETS AWAY!” shouted Venny as he jumped up and down in frustration. With their leader shouting at them, the stallions shot up after Vigilant.

With the five suited stallions after him, Vigilant speed up, gaining altitude quickly. High in the sky Vigilant did a one-eighty turn and with one powerful flap of his wings dashed back towards the five Pegasi, crashing into one on his quick descent.

“Why are you here in Ponyville!?” shouted Vigilant as he and a red Pegasus with black mane free fell.

“AHHHH! I DON'T KNOW!” shouted the terrified stallion as he looked down at the fast approaching ground.

“Who is your leader!?” questioned Vigilant as he calculated how much time he had left.

“V… V… V… VENNY!”

“No, who leads your mafia!?”

“DIAMOND DOG!”

Before they reached the the ground Vigilant unfurled his wings, pulling himself and the scared stallion up from the free fall. Vigilant let go of the stallion, who fell into a large pile of snow. The remaining four stallions caught up as they pulled out of their dive. Speeding down the streets of Ponyville, Vigilant weaved dodged and swerved past all sorts of obstacles and turn down another streets. One such turn went down an alleyway that lead to a dead end. Upon reaching the dead end the skilled flier did a U-turn, flying back down the way he came, crashing into one of the stallions. He kicked and punched him before they broke apart, the suited stallion hitting the wall opposite of the alleyway while Vigilant took off down the street once again with the remaining three in hot pursuit. Going down one street, Vigilant picked up his speed as he flew straight to a small gap between two houses, just as he reached the gap, he furled up his wings and drifted through it, unfurling as he cleared the exit. One of the suited stallion pulled up and flew away from the buildings, the other two were not so fortunate. The other two stallions clipped the roof and landing hard onto the snow covered ground. Out flown and reduced in numbers the last stallion fled the scene with the other two slowly getting up and following suit.

Sighing in relief and seeing he was no longer being chased Vigilant head over to Twilight’s tree house. When he came up to the house he saw both Twilight and a very worried looking Spitfire waiting outside. Upon landing Spitfire trotted up to Vigilant, slapping hard across the face, leaving a mark. Shocked, Vigilant looked up at Spitfire, confused to see tears in her eyes.

“Why did you take them all on, on your own?!” shouted Spitfire as Vigilant just looked at Spitfire with a puzzled look on his face. “You could of been seriously hurt!” cried out Spitfire as she looked down, Vigilants hat covering up her face.

“I was only trying to protect you and Scootaloo.” defended Vigilant as he looked at Twilight who was slightly confused on Spitfire’s behavior.

“I… I… I don’t want to lose you…” whimpered Spitfire with slight sobs. Vigilant just stared at the crying mare unsure of how to comfort her. After a few seconds of silence other than Spitfire’s occasional sob, Vigilant chuckled as he grabbed his hat. Spitfire looked up at him as he place his hat back on his own head.

“You should know better than anypony else that nopony would be able to outfly me when I’m serious,” chuckled Vigilant as he trotted over to Twilight. “Twilight, I think Ponyville is under siege of the Bitalian Mafia, the one from Manehatten.”

“The mafia? Are you sure?” Twilight inquired as she was shocked by this development.

“Yes, I had my dealing with them before when I was stationed near Manehatten and they tried to use a hostage to get some ransom money.” answered Vigilant, he looked over in the general direction of where the city would be.

“Why would they try to take over Ponyville, we’re only a small village unlike Manehatten.” questioned Twilight, though more out loud than to anypony.

“I honestly don’t know, they were trying to get protection money from Davenport, that reminds me we should go check up on him after this.” answered Vigilant as he looked over to where ‘Sofas and Qills’ would be. “By any chance does Ponyville have a police force? The time I’ve been here, I have yet to meet or see anypony resembling one.” he inquired.

“Well, actually we don’t have a Police force or any part of the army that could be stationed here, we never needed them before.” Twilight answered as she tapped her chin for a minute. “Say, it looks like Ponyville needs a Marshal now, would you like to take the job?” she asked with a huge grin on her face.

Both Vigilant and Spitfire looked at Twilight with shock. “Marshal of Ponyville?” Vigilant thought out loud as he looked up into the sky. “Sure, I don’t have a job and it’s close to being a Soldier” he answered looking at Twilight with a determined look.

“Then it’s settled! From this day on you, Vigilant Paladin, shall be the Marshal of Ponyville. I just need to inform the Mayor and get you a place to work.” Twilight gleefully said as she trotted back into her home, with Vigilant and Spitfire following suit.

“Spit, how was Scootaloo doing?’ asked Vigilant as they entered the house. But before Spitfire could answer, Scootaloo jumped up onto Vigilant when she noticed him, the other CMC sitting on the coach.

“Vigilant!” cried Scootaloo as she buried her face into the back of his neck. “I… I… I was so scared… then… then you were chased by them!”

Shocked that Scootaloo was crying on his neck Vigilant took a second to regain his senses before he turned his head and patted Scootaloo’s head. “I know you were, but I promise you that I won’t let anything happen to you.” affirmed Vigilant.

Scootaloo slid off Vigilant’s back and sat on her haunches as she rubbed her eyes. Vigilant chuckled as he took off his hat and placed it on top of Scootaloo’s head as she looked up at him. “I am now the Marshal so I definitely won't let anypony harm you.” smiled Vigilant, Scootaloo smiled back at him as she climbed on top of his back. “Sorry girls, but I think Scootaloo needs some time to recover from this ordeal.” he said to Sweetie Belle and Applebloom who both nodded.

“O’ course mister, we understand. Just take care o’ our friend.” said Applebloom as she and Sweetie Belle got off the coach

“Yeah, take care Scootaloo.” the two fillies ran out of the door and back into the snowy wonderland.

“Alright, I should head home and take care of this filly. Twilight, I’ll talk to you tomorrow about the job, and Spit, you can come along. I’m sure you need some time to recover to.” Smiled Vigilant as he got back on his hooves.

“Right, have a good rest of the evening Vigilant. And I am very thankful you were able to save Scootaloo. And have a good evening Spitfire” Twilight waved as she entered another room where she shouted for Spike.

“Want to come along Spit?” asked Vigilant as he looked at her from the door.

“S… sure” Spitfire stuttered as she looked away with a blush.

Author's Note:

Okay, so I finally found time to finish this chapter, sorry for the long wait. I got myself a job in April and it a job that makes me work out in this summer heat but I still plan to make this story and finish it at some point.

So to this chapter, I have made the fist confrontation with the main 'villains' if you will of this story, and 'Diamond Dog' is a nick name for the leader, it is not Diamond Dogs, those creatures we have only seen once in the show but they are part of the Mafia, just had to clear that up, If there is anything you don't understand or anything my editor or myself miss go ahead and point it out. Keep leaving me the likes it does make me want to write this more and if I still take forever to update keep bugging me like Orni and Emerald Blade did, sorry like I said Life happened and I just got lazy to write. But now that I started again I started to plan out the next chapters and even next stories I plan to do.

Gald to see you guys liking my story and want to see more so don't worry I will update more often, just not as often as I use to as I have a life now and it takes up most of my time, and I am repeating myself so I'll end the A/N here. ~Blaze