• Published 6th Mar 2014
  • 931 Views, 25 Comments

A Paladin's Strength - Blaze Riaz



A retired soldier moves to Ponyville to start his civilian life but an encounter and decisions changes his original plans...

  • ...
2
 25
 931

Chapter 1: New Town, New Friends

The Night sky was as beautiful as ever. A clear dark blue sky that twinkled with stars high above around the magnificent moon a pleasant blue light. Just over a lake near the mountain Canterlot sat upon, two stallion Pegasi fell out of the sky . One in a suit, with the right side of his collar covered in blood, the other in cerulean blue armor, a large gash in his left shoulder blood seeping out. The stallion in the armor opened his eyes, looking at the bright full moon.
______________________________________________________________________________

Vigilant shot up in his bed, shaking and breathing heavily. The nightmare, no more than a retelling of past events, plagued his sleep. Placing his hooves on his face, he breathed slowly, bringing his heart rate back to normal. Sliding his hooves off of his face, he looked around his room, still foreign to him. It was a decent size, his bed laid next to a window which showed it was still dark. On the opposite wall, an empty bookshelf sat next to a desk filled with paperwork regarding the move to his current home. Vigilant only yesterday night moved into a cloud house just over Ponyville, not really wanting any attention on his move. Vigilant sighed and rolled out of bed, landing on the soft cloud floor where he stretched his wings and back, popping a few vertebra. He trotted into the bathroom that was adjacent to his bedroom. He splashed cold water on his face, letting the chilling water wake him up more and bring some sanity back to his mind. He grabbed a towel, drying himself, and looked in the mirror. He was a white stallion with a blonde mane and tail that both had a blue streak within the strands of yellow. He had a scar over his left eye which was a grayed out green, though his right eye was a royal cerulean. Before leaving the bathroom he brushed his short mane from its bed head look and brushed his teeth

He left his room and headed down a flight of stairs to the living room. Deciding to have a small breakfast, he headed to the kitchen. He turned right and entered the kitchen/dining room, only having a fridge, a stove, a small amount of counter space for prep work and a small pantry. Vigilant walked up to his fridge and opened it. “Empty…that’s right, I just got here…” he mused to himself as he closed the fridge. He opened the pantry to find that it had some food, but not much, though he quickly found a half empty bag of bagels. “Guess some bagels are going to have to do.” He sighed and grabbed two bagels, eating one almost instantly. He took a bite of the other as he walked to the front door that had a coat hanger holding an old brown Stetson hat that had two feathers on its right side. Beside it was an old set of flight goggles that he grabbed, placing it on his forehead. “A quick flight around town should clear my head.” he mumbled to himself. He scarfed down the rest of his second bagel before lowering his goggles as he exited his cloud home.

The small porch just outside his front door was big enough to hold two ponies, if needed. Vigilant took a deep breath of air in the cold winter morning and he loved it so. The grey clouds in the sky lightened up a bit as the sun must have started to rise. There was snow falling, it was the middle of winter and the weather Pegasi must have planned a snow day. Vigilant hopped off his cloud home which was above some open planes near some other houses on the ground. He extended his wings just before he hit the ground, flying low at a fast speed before he rose up above the roofs of the homes and shops that passed underneath him. He circled around a couple of times, examining the town to the best of his ability. There was the tallest building, which is where he met the mayor to buy his home, it must have been town hall. Not too far from there was a large tree which looked like it was made as a house of sorts. Down a large street, that he guessed to be the main street, was a house that looked to be made of gingerbread. On a small hill a school house and a small playground stood. On the western border of the town was a fairly large apple orchard with a barn near the eastern side of the whole orchard. Flying just over the Everfree Forest he noticed a cottage. As he flew on, he noticed a cloud house larger and more extravagant than his own. “Huh, must be an important pony…or a rich one.” On his second loop around town he noticed that Main Street had a bunch of stalls unoccupied due to either the snow or the early morning. “I could practice.” He thought to himself as he aligned his flight path. He dived down at an alarming rate, leveling off mere inches from the ground. Trees, bushes and stalls were all in his path as he flew at high a speed down Main Street. He dodged and weaved over, around and through all the obstacles. As he reached the end of his improvised obstacle course, he performed an aileron roll through the last stall, nicking the top sign with his rear legs. “*Tsk…Almost made it through perfectly.” He thought as he glanced back at the stall. When he looked back, he saw an orange blur in his path. He quickly dodged to the left, missing the blur, but hitting a pile of snow he did not see, flipping head over heel as he crashed into another pile of snow several yards ahead.

“Mister….”

Vigilant was still dazed when he popped his head out of the snow, his goggles still covered in snow.

“Mister, are you alright?!” yelled a filly’s voice as Vigilant lifted his goggles onto his forehead, shaking it back and forth to stop the dizziness he was feeling. He felt a poke on his side. Looking down to his side, he saw a small orange Pegasus filly with a purple mane, tail, and eyes. “What you were doing was SO COOL..…well, beside the crash, but other than that it was so cool, even when you dodged hitting me.” She said as she was using her hooves to emphasize what she was saying.

“Oh, you saw that?” said Vigilant as he got up shaking the snow of his body and wings.

“Yeah! I’ve never even seen Rainbow Dash do stuff like that. She is still the most awesome flier, but it was still awesome to see you dodge and weave through those things so easily!” she said with great excitement.

“Hehe…well, that was something I was trained to do.” Said Vigilant as he scratched the back of his head.

“Trained? OH! Are you a Wonderbolt?!” she yelled with quite a bit more excitement than before. Vigilant was taken back for a second. He never thought somepony would think he was a Wonderbolt, even though what he did was not common, it didn’t merit him as one of the greatest fliers in all of Equestria. “Um…no, I am…well, actually, I was a soldier. They trained Pegasi to have high agility for chases and air combat.” He said with some pride.

“Oh…” she said, a bit disappointed. “Well, I’m sorry for being in your path earlier.” She said before dashing away down an alleyway.

He stopped for a moment, “Huh…that was odd.” before taking off into the sky back towards his house.

After taking stock of what he had in his new house and what was still packed. Vigilant grabbed a decent sized bag of bits, placed it around his neck for safe keeping, and then placed a saddle pack on his back. Just before he left, he returned his goggles to where they were earlier this morning and grabbed his old hat.

He landed in the middle of the Main Street where some of the stands were now open, cleared of the fresh snow and replaced with products they were selling. “So they still do business even if it’s snowing.” He thought to himself as he trotted down the street. He stopped by some stalls, grabbing a few vegetables and fruits.

“Howdy, Mister!” said a country voice.

Vigilant looked around for its source, noticing a light orange mare that was wearing a Stetson herself, waving at him. He trotted over to her stand after seeing the apples on display.

“Howdy there, stranger. Ah noticed you buying some fruits and vegetables, and I betcha that you don’t have any apples.” the mare drawled. She then gestured over to her stand of apples and apple related foods. Vigilant was a bit surprised at how many apples there were. They were mostly plain old apples, but there were several apple related desserts.

“Wow, ma’am, I am amazed by this stand. You have several items for sale beside just apples. Did you make all these delicious looking foods?” Vigilant asked as he eyed a still warm apple pie.

“Shucks, that is mighty kind of yah tah say about my stand here, but no, Granny Smith made most of ‘em. She went on about warm food sellin’ on this here cold day.” the mare said as she scratched the back of her head. “Say, you're new here, aintcha?”

“Uh...yeah, I moved in last night. That’s why I’m out here to buy some food. Heh.” He shyly admitted.

“Well, then, welcome to Ponyville. Ah bet yall will like it here. By the way, name’s AppleJack.” she said as he extended her hoof towards him.

“Um...thanks...uh...Vigilant...Vigilant Paladin” he replied as he shook AppleJack’s hoof.

“Since, yall are new here, why dontcha take a half dozen apples as a welcome gift.” AppleJack said as she placed a gift into his pack.

“You didn’t have to do that.” Vigilant protested.

“Ah know, just bein’ neighborly.” she said with a smile, patting him on the back.

“Well, thanks, then. You don’t usually meet many ponies that nice to outsiders.” he returned a smile to Applejack. “Well, it was nice meeting you, Miss AppleJack.” He tipped his hat before trotting away.

“Nice tah meetcha, too, Vigilant, and yah can just call meh AppleJack.” She yelled as she waved goodbye to him.

With the encounter with AppleJack over, Vigilant continued on his shopping spree through the market stalls, even stopping at a store called Sofas and Quills. “Weird...it only sells sofas and quills. Thought he might of had more...oh well…” he pondered as he left the store. With everything he needed, or what he thought was enough for now, Vigilant flew back to his small cloud home. Shortly after being home, movers brought in the couch he bought from Sofas and Quills. His house now becoming more like a real home, Vigilant sighed. “Wish it wasn’t just me...why did it happen…”

After a short nap, he woke up feeling hungry. He trotted to his kitchen and looked in the fridge. He stared at what he had and sighed again. “Not much in the mood to make dinner...there was that weird looking building...I would bet they have something I could eat.” he mused to himself as he trotted back to the door. He took off for the building he remembered from this morning flight wearing his hat again. When he landed he noticed none of the lights were on. “Is it closed? Or is it not what i thought it might be?” he asked aloud trotting up to the door. He noticed a sign labeled Sugar Cube Corner. he knocked on the door to see if anypony was there. As he knocked, the door creaked open into a fairly dark room. Something didn’t feel right to him as he slowly trotted into the room. “Hello? Anypony here?” he asked aloud. Suddenly the lights flickered on.

“SURPRISE!” yelled a building full of ponies as they jumped out from where they were hiding causing confetti to go everywhere. Vigilant lept into the air crashing his head onto the roof and quickly falling back down with a loud thud.

“You ok there, partner?” said a familiar voice as he got back to his hooves, shaking his head from the impact with the roof. He looked up to see AppleJack and four other mares close to him with various looks on their faces. One of them who looked like she was trying to hold back laughter was a cyan pegasus with a rainbow mane and tail with magenta eyes. Another had a huge grin, but not one from laughter. She had a pink coat with a cotton candy looking mane and tail that was a darker shade of pink as her sky blue eyes shone behind her wide smile.

“Uh...yeah, I’m fine, was just...well, surprised.” Vigilant said with a slight blush of embarrassment.

“Bahahaha” the rainbow maned mare laughed. “That was priceless.” she chuckled in between laughs.

“Rainbow! Be nice to this young stallion, he is new here. You would react the same way if somepony surprised you like that.” said the white unicorn with elegance in her words. The unicorn looked beautiful to Vigilant, her violet mane and tail fell in beautiful curls.

“Yeah, but it’s still funny to see others react to being surprised.” Rainbow chuckled.

Suddenly, the pink pony got really close to Vigilant, to the point where he could only see her blue eyes. “Were you really surprised? Do you live in a cloud house like Rainbow, oh wait, do you like cakes? OoOo, no, maybe you like cupcakes, or even Pies? Oh yeah, I’m Pinkie Pie, and I thought of this party as a welcome to Ponyville party, cuz AJ told me you were new, and I thought since you're new you don’t know anypony, and if you don’t know anypony then you must be sad, and you shouldn’t be sad, you should make lots of friends!” Pinkie spat out in one breath really fast. It took Vigilant a second to register what she had blurted out to him.

“Um...Pinkie, was it? I… uh… was… yeah, I was surprised...uh...and yeah, I am new. And you threw this party for me?” he said, backing up a bit from the pink ball of energy. Pinkie started to bounce around Vigilant. “Yes, silly, I threw this party for you. I love to throw parties, and you gave a great reason to throw one right now. Now, come on everypony, its time to party!” she shouted and disappeared, leaving behind a pink silhouette of herself.

“Wait, what?” he said as he stared at the silhouette while it disappeared.

“Yeah, you’ll get used to Pinkie. Best way is to not try and understand her.” said the rainbow maned pegasus as she wrapped a hoof over his shoulder. He looked at her and saw a glint in her eyes that he had seen before. “By the way, the name is Rainbow Dash, fastest flier in all of Equestria and soon to be WonderBolt.” she said as she did a flip in the air and landed on the ground with her chest puffed out.

“WonderBolt, huh? Well, good luck with that, my name is Vigilant Paladin, nice to meet you.” he said while extending his hoof out, immediately eliciting a bump.

“It’s been a while since another pegasus moved to Ponyville. You know what, I challange you to a race!”

Vigilant laughed and looked at her. “Sorry Rainbow, maybe some other time, but I am still trying settle into this new town.” Rainbow got up and stood next to him chuckling a bit.

“Yeah, I figured as much, but I will keep challenging you till you race me!” she said with a bit of defiance in her voice.

“Somehow, I have no doubt.” chuckled Vigilant.

“Oh, I totally forgot, you need to meet the rest of the gang.” she trotted over to her friends who been watching the spectacle unfold in front of them. “You met AJ already…” AppleJack tilted her hat and so did Vigilant. “...but, there is Rarity…” she pointed to the white unicorn.

“A pleasure to meet you, Mr. Paladin.” she said while giving him a friendly smile.

“The pleasure is all mine, ma’am” he said, tilting his hat to her.

“And this here is Fluttershy…” The mare she pointed at a yellow pegasus which she had her head low and was hiding her face behind her mane which was a light pink.

“It is nice to meet you, Miss Fluttershy.” he said while lowering his head in understanding she was nervous.

“Yeah sorry about Fluttershy she is just really shy around new ponies.” said Rainbow as she scratched the back of her head.

“No problem, Miss Dash.”

“Pfff, just call me Rainbow.” she said as she started to drag him to meet other ponies that were at the party.

The party lasted long into the night. Vigilant spent a good portion talking to the first five mares he met, hearing about some of their adventures with Princess Twilight Sparkle before she became a Princess. He told a little of his past and his service in the Royal Army, though not much. With the party winding down everypony headed home, some drunk, others just tired from the partying they just did, Vigilant finally left the mares’ company. He was trotting down a road that lead home, but he didn’t want to fly just yet, he was tired himself after the long day he just had. As he passed an alleyway, he heard sounds of somepony attacking another. His instincts told him to investigate so he trotted down the alley shortly after he started to hear voices.

“You filthy leach…” he heard a voice shout with a thud of somepony being hit.

“We’ll teach you a lesson to steal from us…” said another with another thud.

Vigilant came up to three groups of ponies huddled around another he could not see. “Hey, what’s going on here?!” he shouted, gaining the attention of the three ponies.

“None of you business, get lost!” a dark grey earth pony shouted as he kicked the unknown figure.

“It becomes my business when somepony is beating up another.” He growled as the three ponies walked away from their prey to circle him.

“What are you, this leach’s accomplice? You sent her to steal from us, huh?” threatened a lime green Pegasus.

“No, I just don’t think it’s right for others to beat up others.” Vigilant replied coolly as he dropped into a defensive stance.

“Should of left when you had the chance!” bellowed a large crimson red earth pony as he grabbed Vigilant lifting him up to his back legs only.

Before the other earth pony could attack, Vigilant leaned forward, kicking with his hind legs to cause himself and the red pony to flip. He landed hard on top of the earth pony knocking the wind out of him. Getting up quickly, he parried the grey stallion’s punch, slamming him to the ground and dazing him. He looked at the green stallion who looked scared and takes off, flying away. The two earth ponies got up and staggered out of the ally. “*Pfff, cowards.” Vigilant looked over to where the three were previously standing. To his horror, there was a small filly lying in the snow, bloody and bruised. When he trotted up to her, he was even more surprised to see that it was the orange filly he saw this morning. “What?!” before he even rationalized why she was there, he picked her up and took off into the night sky.

Author's Note:

Alright there you go, first fan fic and I like how it turned out. Not the best writing ever not even close but its not bad either at lest i think so. Tell me what you guys think of this so far. Criticism is welcomed but don't be to harsh it is my first one and I am nervous on what others will think of my story. Its the first time I shared anything to people I don't even know.

Thanks to TehSporkBandit for taking the time to edit the grammatical errors

Enjoy the story and the next chapter should come out soon. ~Blaze