• Published 6th Mar 2014
  • 931 Views, 25 Comments

A Paladin's Strength - Blaze Riaz



A retired soldier moves to Ponyville to start his civilian life but an encounter and decisions changes his original plans...

  • ...
2
 25
 931

Chapter 4: The Pain of the Past, Regaining the Strength

The canopy was thick, not allowing in much light through the vegetation. Vigilant, Chaser, and Hooves were scouting around the surrounding area for any signs of the Red Claws.

“Hey, Captain, any reason for you coming along with us?” Chaser Inquired.

“I may be Captain now, Chaser, but I will always be out here with you guys, not sitting on my flank doing nothing. Are you wishing I wasn’t here?” Vigilant asked with a smirk as he slowed his pace to stride next to Chaser.

“What?! No, I was, uh, I was only wondering and…”

“Ha ha ha, I am only messing with you, Chaser, no need to be so uptight. I haven’t been Captain for long, and I’m still the same as I was before the battle.” Vigilant interrupted, he lightly nudged Chaser.

“Come on, Sergeant, you were with us a week before the battle of Nimbus. Does ‘Captain Paladin’ seem any different to you, or are you still green?” Hooves jokingly asked Chaser.

“No, Captain Paladin is still the same, I’m just used to officers sending grunts like me out while they sit back doing nothing.” Chaser hesitantly answered. The branches above them shook as they passed.

“Ha! Now that is the difference between Ironside, his officers and myself. I will lead my ponies, and I will lead them in the best possible path I can take them!” Vigilant beamed with pride. Chaser took point as they came to a clearing in the forest. “Let’s take a short break here.”

The three stallions stopped near the opposite edge of the clearing they entered and rested. Chaser took his helmet off and placed it next to his spear while Hooves and Vigilant just sat down.

“Say, Chaser, who were you writing to after the battle?” Hooves questioned as he pulled out a canteen.

“Oh, uh, it was… um…” Chaser stammered as he fiddled with his hooves.

“Spit it out, Chaser, there is nothing to be embarrassed about.” Vigilant encouraged.

“Well… I was writing to my marefriend.” Chaser finally answered with a huge blush.

“So the rookie does have a marefriend!” Teased Hooves as he started to laugh, choking on some water he was drinking a moment ago.

“Oh, shut it, Lieutenant. That is great for you, Chaser, nothing wrong with keeping in touch with her. Hope she wasn’t too worried about the battle we were all in.” Vigilant said. “You know, you’re lucky, Chaser, I never got the chance to admit my feelings for a mare I liked.” He sighed.

“You have a special somepony, Captain?” Chaser asked in disbelief.

“Wait, wait, wait, you have a special somepony and you never told me? You sure it’s a mare, Cap?” Hooves chuckled out as he rolled onto his back.

“YES, I’m sure! And is it really that hard to believe I can have a mare I like?” Vigilant asked in mocking pain as he placed his hooves over his heart and made a face as if in pain.

“Sorry, Captain, just never took you as a stallion that was looking for love, but it’s…” Chaser was interrupted with an arrow through his neck…

______________________________________________________________________________

Vigilant woke up in a very uncomfortable position on the coach he was laying on. After spending time with Rainbow Dash, Scootaloo, and Spitfire, Rainbow left for home while Vigilant insisted that Spitfire stay at his place. She had no place to really go, so Vigilant kindly gave up his bed to Spitfire while he slept on the coach, again. He also explained to Spitfire and Rainbow that he was watching over Scootaloo while her parents went on their second honeymoon.

“Hey, soldier boy, you plan on sleeping all morning?” Spitfire asked from the kitchen.

“I don’t have anywhere to go or anything to do today, so I might just lay here all day.” Vigilant replied turning over to stare at the ceiling. Spitfire trotted over to the coach and tilted it enough to make Vigilant roll onto the floor.

“Oh, no you don’t! You may have retired from the military but you will not become lazy!” Spitfire teased.

“I had three busy days after moving here, Spit, let me be lazy for one day!” Grumbled Vigilant. He rolled over to get back onto his hooves.

“If you plan to be lazy all day I won’t let you have any of the pancakes I made.” Spitfire sternly remarked as she trotted to the kitchen.

“Wait, you made pancakes?” Vigilant questioned in disbelief.

“Hey, I might have sucked at cooking when I was younger, but I took lessons from my mom!” Declared Spitfire. When Vigilant entered the kitchen his nose was assaulted with the sweet aroma of pancakes and even scrambled eggs, all topped off with the smell of warm maple syrup.

“If this smell is any indication about your cooking then you must have gotten better.” Vigilant said in amazement.

“Keep up that attitude and you won’t get any pancakes.” Threatened Spitfire while she was flipping the latest pancake.

“I’ll be good, I’ll be good.” Vigilant relented as he took a seat at the table. “How are the Wonderbolts since you took over? I haven’t been able to take the time to catch a show, that and when I did have time there were no shows.” He asked.

“I think they are the best they can be. I kinda do what you did with the track team. I get strict when training, which didn’t make them like me at first.” Answered Spitfire as she brought a large stack of pancakes to the table. “But when they took the time to know me they were a lot more friendly.”

“That’s good, Soarin is there to right? He still giving you issues like he did at the academy?” Inquired Vigilant. He took a small stack of pancakes and started to eat. “Wow, these are actually good!”

“Did you expect any different? And yes, Soarin is there, and he sorta is an issue. He is constantly asking me out.” Grumbled Spitfire, remembering what Soarin does after every show.

“You don’t take him up on his offer?” Vigilant asked with a raised eyebrow.

“No, there is somepony else I like.” Spitfire answered with a blush.

“Oh?”

“Say, you said you’re taking care of Scootaloo for her parents’ right.” Spitfire asked.

“Yeah, and?”

“Well, I still don’t understand why you decided to do that when you’re still settling in.” Spitfire questioned.

“You know me, they asked everypony else and nopony could. I couldn’t just ruin their chance to go on a second honeymoon.” Answered Vigilant. As soon as he finished his plate Scootaloo popped up at the doorway to the living room.

“Do I smell pancakes?” She sleepily asked.

“Yeah, I made pancakes, you want some?” Spitfire answered.

“Yeah!”

“You know, Vigil, you seem like you're not telling the truth. What really is happening?” Spitfire pressed.

“I have told you what really is happening.” Vigilant reassured.

“What are you two talking about?” Scootaloo questioned.

“I don’t believe the story you both gave to me about why he decided to take care of you.” Spitfire replied looking stern at Vigilant.

“What?! But, but, but it’s the truth! My… uh…” Scootaloo stammered out.

“That isn’t helping your case.” Spitfire pressed on.

“Not good at keeping the secret, huh?” Vigilant coughed to Scootaloo.

“So what is really happening, then?” Inquired Spitfire as she leaned close to Vigilant.

“Looks like we lost this one Scootaloo.” Vigilant relented .

With the cat out of the bag, Vigilant took the time to explain what happened to Scootaloo and her decision to stay with him.

“Fine, I’ll accept that you adopted Scootaloo, but I still don’t understand why you retired from the military.” Spitfire pressed on for more answers.

“Yeah, why did you retire? You not old or anything.” Scootaloo asked curiously.

“I failed at my job, does that answer your question?” Growled Vigilant.

“No, how did you fail your job?” Spitfire pressed more aggressively.

“…”

“Tell me, Vigilant, this isn’t like you.” Spitfire begged.

“I LOST MY FAMILY, ALRIGHT!” Raged Vigilant. Scootaloo fell out of her seat and Spitfire backed away in fear. Vigilant noticed the fear in their eyes and realized his outburst scared them. “I… I got to go…” With that said he flew out the door, leaving the two scared mares alone.

“I… I… Is he like that… o… often?” Asked Scootaloo. She got up from the ground and trotted over to a shocked Spitfire. “Spitfire?”

“I…” She was lost for words.

“Spitfire? Are you okay?” Quivered Scootaloo

“I… I’ve never seen him like this…” Spitfire fell onto her haunches trying to comprehend what Vigilant had said. I LOST MY FAMILY! echoed in her head. “What happened?”

“Spitfire?” Cried Scootaloo.

“Scootaloo!” Spitfire grabbed Scootaloo and hugged her, trying to sooth the scared filly.

“Will Vigilant be ok?” The young Pegasus asked.

“I… I believe so. Let’s go find him, what do you say?” Inquired Spitfire. Scootaloo looked up at her and shook her head before she agreed to search for Vigilant.

The two Pegasi left the cloud house, circling around Ponyville. After several minutes in the sky, they land and both decided to look for the stallion on the ground. Splitting up they looked high and low, asking everypony they passed if they have seen him. After about two hours of searching, Spitfire took to the skies once more, circling around Ponyville a second time, she still could not find the elusive stallion anywhere, and then it hit her. She flew back to Vigilant’s home in the sky, upon arrival she flew to the roof and found the white Pegasus sitting there. His head was hanging low so Spitfire could not see his face. When she landed on the roof the stallion barely flinched. “Figures you would remember…”

“Well, I am one of your closest friends. I’m sorry for pushing you.” Apologized Spitfire.

“…”

“Can you tell me what happened to Rose?” questioned Spitfire “You don’t have to tell me, but, she was a friend of mine… I just… I would like to know what happened to her.”

“…”

Spitfire trotted up to the depressed Vigilant and hugged him, wrapping her wing around him. She felt him silently sob in her embrace.

“I’m so sorry that she is gone, Vigilant…”

“Have you heard about the fire that happened a week ago in Baltimare?” Asked Vigilant

“Yeah, several buildings were burnt down due to some crazy pony… wait don’t tell me!” Gasped Spitfire.

“When I heard about the fire, I was prepared to help any way I could. Then I heard it was where I bought the house for Rose and myself,” sobbed Vigilant. “When I reached the house… it, too, was on fire. I had no idea of Rose and Snow were in there or not…”

“Snow?”

“Snow Flurry was my niece…” cried Vigilant, a tear rolled down his muzzle and onto Spitfire’s wing.

“I… I’m sorry…”

“I burst into my burning house in search of them. I found them in Rose’s closet. I lead them out and was about to go down the stairs when the floor gave out from under us…” as he got closer to what happened, Vigilant’s voice started to crack.

“Shh, shh it’s ok, you don’t have to go on.” Soothed Spitfire.

“Wh… when I regained my senses… Rose was on top of Snow with a heavy support beam on top of her… I was about to… the roof caved in on them…” cried Vigilant. He turned around and hugged Spitfire, crying into her shoulder. Now she understood why he said he failed his job. His cutie mark is a shield with wings wrapping around it. He got it by protecting herself and Soarin from some bullies that had a grudge.

“Shh, shh…” soothed Spitfire even though she felt like crying. Her closest friend is in pain and his sister, her friend as well, lost her life because some crazy pony wanted to cause some chaos.

“I… I… I lost everything Spit…” cried Vigilant.

“No, you have not!” Asserted Spitfire. She pushed him back by his shoulders to look at him in the face. “I’m sorry Rose and Snow passed on, but you are still here, and you are still alive! Rose would not want you to fall apart even without her. You lost a lot, more than I can even imagine, but you did not lose everything! I’m still here for you! All of the friends that you have made in your lifetime are still here and now you have a filly to take care of! Mourn for their lost but be the strong Vigilant you have always have been!” Encouraged Spitfire. Vigilant stared at his friend, lost for words, because he at one time encouraged her, but now she was pushing the fallen warrior back onto his hooves.


“…”

He lost his parents when he was a young colt. He suffered through being an orphan with his even younger sister. He defended his sister from the cruel caretakers and refused to leave her. He trained his wings extra hard so he could be a Wonderbolt. He pushed a track team to their limits and made them into national contenders. He protected his friends from vengeful bullies earning his late cutie mark. He joined the military and became a great leader, defending many more ponies that needed it. Now he took in a young filly who struggles on her own… he was still protecting others even after the loss of his only family… he still needed to be strong… to be the Paladin he knows he is.

“Your right.” Confirmed Vigilant. Getting up, he looked out over Ponyville. “Rose would be angry with me with the way I have been acting over the past week. Thank you, Spitfire.” He turned back to Spitfire, smiling at her, and gave her a hug. “You are the best friend anypony could ask for.”

“You’re… you’re welcome… uh, anytime…” stammered Spitfire.

“Let’s go find Scootaloo, I bet she is worried about what happened to me. I really appreciate your help, Spit.” He winked at the mare and took off into the sky. They landed near Sugarcube Corner when they found Scootaloo with Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom. He explained to Scootaloo what happened in private and treated the CMC to some milk shakes.

Coming out of Quills and Sofas were two stallions in suits.

“And don’t forget, if you don’t pay there may be and ‘accident’ capiche?” Said one of the stallions.

“They never understand at first, makes the job much more fun. So what’s the next place we ‘Protect’ asked the other stallion.

“Boss said start with this one, we gotta head back to Manehatten now, come on.” Answered the stallion in the blue suit.

“… Oh, so they made it this far? Well, what I gave them is powerful. I wonder if the hero will be successful. Only one way to find out…it reads he has a 67% chance of success. What dropped the rate? Hmm, interesting indeed…”

Author's Note:

Slow chapter and shorter to. This one bugs me in a way and I don't know why. Eh. I still like this chapter and I threw several Twist on you all. I also explained what happened to Vigilant a week earlier. Tragic to say the lest, but it does explain a lot, I think... Anyways, hope I didn't disappoint you all and the main conflict should start to appear.

I bet you are wondering what that last paragraph is about...sorry won't tell. However I'll let you all know here there are 6 stories, including this one, that lead up to a bigger 7th story. See if you can catch any hints to it I throw out. ~Blaze