• Published 4th Mar 2014
  • 2,256 Views, 14 Comments

The Fallen Warrior - Silver Scrolls



After a horrible battle, Twilight and Celestia are left with more questions and scars than anypony else. Can they find their answers or will they find something else?

  • ...
10
 14
 2,256

The Fallen Warrior

The land was cast in a reddish hue as the light of the setting sun mingled with the smoke that hung over the shattered village of Ponyville. Shadows flitted through the smoke and around small pools of flickering light that dotted the smoke. Agonized moans and piercing screams passed among the shifting shadows, each one pleading to be heard above the clamor of other sorrows. Grim-faced soldiers stumbled through the devastation to the nearest cries they heard, exhaustion and fear set into their jaws, but duty set within each limped step they took. Some cries would end in a gurgle before they could arrive while others simply brought them against a pile of rubble that they would stare at for a moment, shuddering and turning away slowly.

A soft breeze kicked up and slowly the smoke began to swirl and dance, offering glimpses into the true horrors of what remained of the devastated town. The site of a building leaning and balancing on a few stones left in it’s foundation, the occasional crushed stand with fruit laying about it that had splattered creating a macabre imitation of the colorful bodies strewn throughout the town like ragdolls. The wind picked up a little more and more of the crushed town was revealed. The colorful bodies of ponies lay scattered about in pools of blood like seeds scattered across the ground to feed the birds. The living clung to the dead fiercely, peering about with wild, bloodshot eyes which had long since lost hope or reason. Many lay wounded, shrieking and floundering in pools of their own fluids as their life drained away. Those who still gripped to some semblance of life rapidly lost the will for it.

A single pony moved with purpose in the chaos, her voice clear as she pointed ponies to the places they were most needed. A purple wing hung limply on her right side, the other was coated in blood from a large hole just behind and slightly below her withers. The hole trailed halfway down her side before coming to a jagged end. She staggered and stumbled about, trying to help ponies in need, only to tip over as she put weight on her missing leg. She would land with a dull thud and rise shakily to her hooves immediately afterwards and look about as though looking to see who had noticed. Gritting her teeth against the pain she’d continue to move around, helping the wounded and near-dead wherever she could.

Slowly the sounds of the ruined town were replaced with something new, a haunting sound that took everypony’s heart in it’s grasp and gave them pause. Ears flicked and screams died off as the sound wove its way through the streets.The words were in a language no pony could understand but the melody needed no words. The melody was simple, warm and inviting, like a smile yet also familiar and comforting like the hug of a friend. The ponies listening felt the song work into their hearts, letting the soothing melody wash away their gripping uncertainty. Several ponies tilted their head back and began to hum along, the magic of the song taking hold of them, giving them strength where before there was none.

The lavender pony slowed to a halt and shakily turned towards the Everfree Forest as the song reached her ears. Her eyes closed and breathing slowed as the song filled her mind. For several moments she remained completely still as she thought of days spent basking in the warmth of a an afternoon sun with her friends, of the warm smile of the mare she loved before her eyes opened slowly and she turned to face the forest. She took several staggering steps before finding her gait and she began to gallop as fast as she could on three legs towards the source of the song. Ponies stepped aside and cleared the way for her as she limped past them with a determined grimace on her face.

Outside the town limits Twilight shuffled up to the edge of a clearing littered with the dead on her three remaining legs. Friend and foe alike lay in a carpet over the ground, their blood finding no borders between them in their deaths as it mingled and ran down into a stream that danced with deep crimson swirls that slowly turned the stream the color of death. An eerie breeze blew across the clearing, ruffling the hair and the scraps of fabric that hung loosely about the dead. Occasionally something would shift and a short howl echoed as the wind whistled through a small gap before it closed again.

A cyan colored pegasus joined the mare and they leaned against each other for support as they waited. One by one three more mares filtered up and took positions beside the injured pony, holding her up and offering comfort to her as well as each other. Each of them held back tears and shook slightly, fear rising in their chest as the song grew in strength slightly before it began to fade away. As the song waned they each took a small tentative step towards the field.

Try as they might, the five mares could not find footing upon the ground in the clearing. Each walked gingerly over the dead, testing each placement of their hoof as it was placed against a corpse. The sound of their hooves ringing against the armor echoed about like the sorrowful tones of a funeral bell. Each of the mares clenched their jaws with each new ring as they stumbled carefully over the bodies until they found an end to the corpses.

The five stopped at the edge of the crater that formed a perfect circle in the center of the field. The edge cut through corpses as though somepony had taken a giant scoop from the land. Blood trickled down the sides and pooled at the bottom creating a small pond. At the center of the pond was a small mound that created an island. On this island lay a stark white mare with wings and a horn, her head resting in the crossed legs of a strange creature none of them had seen before. The creature was hunched over, its head hanging limply in front of it and over the pony in its lap. Its hand rested on her neck and the other on the ground beside it, pinned beneath a massive mace.

The five mares looked at each other and slipped over the edge and began sliding down the crater's rim towards the pond. The lavender pony’s horn lit up as the neared the pond and the surface of the sanguine pool grew rigid. A shadow passed over the mares as they carefully stepped on the makeshift bridge. They watched as midnight blue alicorn landed beside the prone white mare and kneeled by her side to rub her muzzle just behind her ear. As she rubbed, the prone mare turned to look at the newcomer and tears began to stream from her face.

Slowly the five friends approached and four of them formed a half circle, leaving Twilight to approach the creature and her teacher. She paused to look over the strange being. Even hunched over Celestia, Twilight found herself looking up at him slightly, his broad shoulders creating a protective shield over the head in his lap. A thick golden hued plate armor covered his torso, arms and legs while a romaren style helm sat atop his head. The crest was a reddish orange hue that trailed down his back and formed a small pool in the dirt behind him. The two pieces covering his cheeks were emblazoned with a stylized sun. A strip of metal ran down the bridge of his snout and his chin was covered with a thick bushy brown beard.

Twilight’s gaze traveled down to his wide torso and the myriad of holes oozing blood and scorch marks that marred the beautiful surface of his armor. The legs were surprisingly uninjured though she saw a large crack running down the length of one legs of the armor. To the strange being’s side sat a mace, far larger than anypony could hope to wield effectively without magic. It’s head was coated red with the life of it’s beaten foes and clumps of flesh and hair hung from its numerous spikes. The wooden handle that the ball sat atop was cracked it’s full length and looked as though it was held together by nothing more than prayer.

Celestia turned to her visitors and let her sister go as she rose to her hooves and limped up to Twilight. She dropped to her knees and her shoulders shook as she inhaled sharply as she looked Twilight’s missing a leg and the bloody stump that had once been her wing and the way the other hung uselessly at her side. Throwing her foreleg around Celestia’s neck, Twilight joined in Celestia’s tears. Luna quickly joined in and together they let the horrors of the day drain from them.

They clung to each other for what seemed like hours before the tears subsided and Luna addressed them all. “I am pleased to know we all made it,” She paused for a moment as a frown clouded her features and she swallowed a lump that formed in her throat, “most of us at least. This day has been dark but we survived and through that hardship we have become stronger. We shant soon forget this day and it’s horrors, it has left us with scars that will never heal and holes in our hearts we may never be able to fill again.” Her eyes looked to each of the five mares that had once been six before continuing. “And though it pains me to see you hurt so Twilight—and same goes for you sister...” The dark alicorn turned and placed a hoof against a large burn on her sister’s side. “We cannot let ourselves be consumed by our grief. We have a nation that needs to see us standing strong and alive.”

Twilight shook her head slowly. “You are right, Luna. As much as it pains me to say it; we must hold our tears for now.” Turning to the white alicorn Twilight spoke to her softly. “I know this must be hard for you but we need to return to town, let the ponies see that the sun will rise again. They need to see all of us alive and strong for them...for her.” Twilight’s head fell slightly and her ears folded back for a moment before she raised it and looked to the town. “I do not know who this is,” She motioned to the strange creature that sat cross legged beside Celestia, “but I do know he is a hero.”

Celestia sniffled and turned to look at the fallen creature. “He is indeed a hero. I do not know from whence he came. I have never seen a creature like him in all my years nor have I ever seen a creature fight as hard as he did this day.Without him I do not think I would have won this battle. He gave his life in my defense and the defense of this world. He is more than just our hero Twilight; he is our savior.”

The seven ponies slowly approached the fallen warrior. Each took a seat beside him after which Applejack gently unbuckled his helm, slowly pulling it from his head. As the helm came free the battlefield seemed to go silent for a moment as though it was paying respects to the fallen savior. Gently Rainbow and Rarity leaned him back until he lay recumbent and Pinkie gently folded his hands on his chest. Luna carefully lifted his mace and placed the handle under his hands so the ball rested against his knees. After her magic faded, a new golden glow spread underneath him as Twilight reverently laid the helm over his folded hands. The air grew still as the martyr rose from the ground, resting upon a platform of glowing golden light. Luna stepped to the front and the wall in front of her twisted and morphed into steps as she began to ascend the wall. Applejack and Pinkie moved beside her until they reached the top and there they began to move the corpses aside. The three princess walked slowly side by side, giving the others time to make a path for them as they traversed the field of corpses in silence.

Soon they reached the towns edge, the three princesses following the two earth ponies and the pegasus on the left while the unicorn walked on the right. As they passed into the town all activity ceased and the ponies made a line on either side of the road and lowered their heads in reverence as the alicorns and their entourage passed. As the princesses passed, the line closed behind them and fell into step, following them at a respectful distance. The procession stayed almost completely silent until they had all gathered in the town square and assembled to watch as their ruler laid her charge on the ground at the base of the fountain.

Celestia turned to address her ponies, Three mares took up a place on her right and the other two with her sister on her left. “My little ponies, today we have seen one of Equestria’s greatest tragedies. We saw as a creature I had myself claimed rehabilitated fall to old ways, swearing vengeance upon our fair nation. My mistake has cost us dearly, the lives of every pony who fell today will weigh heavily upon my mind until the end of time.” Celestia paused and looked over the assembled ponies, a sad smile spread over her lips then she turned her head to the creature laying at the foot of the fountain for a moment before turning back to speak to the gathered subjects. “In this hour of dire need a single soul stepped forward.” She turned back to her ponies. “I do not know what he is or where he hails from but it is by his grace that I stand before you now. It is by his hand that I was able to deliver the final blow. He held the line against all of Discord’s minions and Discord himself so that I might deal my final blow.”

Celestia paused to steady herself as a tear fell down her cheek. “I, no; all of us stand here now, ready to face the morning when it comes and it is because of his sacrifice.” Celestia paused and Luna leaned in to nuzzle her. “It is because of this strange stallion that Equestria lives to see another dawn. It was this stallion who...who...” Celestia turned to look back and knelt by his side. “It was this stallion who gave up everything for a populace he knew nothing about.” She lapsed into silence, her body shook slightly but she made no sound as she placed her head on the chest of her fallen savior.

Luna stepped forward with Twilight and they held their heads high. Luna looked at each pony for a moment before she continued to speak. “Equestria has seen great tragedy today. The sun has fallen below the horizon and the night is ahead of us...” Luna turned her eyes to the moon that sat just below its summit. A tear rolled down her cheek as she closed her eyes and thoughts of all that had transpired passed through her mind. Slowly she lowered her muzzle and opened her eyes to meet the weary gazes of the assembled ponies. Her shoulders fell a little and her wings slid down her sides with them.

Taking a deep breath she held it for a moment before she spoke again. “but it is not eternal.” Luna paused and shook herself and stood up straighter and let a small smile grace her lips. “As with all nights this one will pass and a new dawn will come but we must let the sun rest.” Luna fell to into silence as she looked back at her sister and Twilight took her place as speaker.

“The sun has set and night has fallen but the night is no longer a dark place. Luna’s moon and my stars light up the night. Just as the stars and moon do so shall We light this night and guide you to the new dawn. Princess Celestia needs time to mourn and rest, and in her place I will rule alongside her sister.” Twilight paused and smiled gently, thinking of how strong everypony was. Looking to each pony for a brief moment, Twilight continued. “We have survived a great tragedy today. We have proven how strong we are and We could not be more proud of our nation. We ask that you continue to be strong and continue to move forward.” Pausing, she let her words sink in before she set her shoulders put on a strong face. “Do not let the sorrow consume your hearts, instead use that sorrow to strengthen your resolve. We will rebuild in the night and regrow when the sun rises again. We will grow from the ashes like a mighty oak and be stronger than ever before.”

Twilight took a deep breath and began to sing.

With each new dawn we are promised
New hopes, new beginnings we are promised
And as we grasp these promises, we move
We move towards the end, towards the night
It comes and brings with it endings
And so we turn to the sky were once there was light
Now full of memories and dreams
Our guides into the dawn of new days


New days and new promises
A cycle never ending, a cycle of hope
A cycle of loss, a cycle of light and dark
A cycle ever moving into the new
Leaving behind the warmth
Further and further away we move
Until we have naught but memories and dreams of warmth

Our dreams will light the way
Our memories will fill the void
Hold them dear and soon
The warmth will return
Soon we will bask in the sun and begin anew


As Twilight’s voice faded away, the ponies began to split away and resume their tasks, singing the song as they went. The two princesses stood until the last pony left; Rainbow Dash and Applejack rushed to the princesses sides as they collapsed. Pinkie approached Celestia, offering her support and together they all made their way towards the library to begin planning.

Celestia paused long enough to look back at the warrior who had saved her. Luna paused and followed her sister’s gaze before leaning in and rubbing her cheek against Celestia’s. They watched as a small child limped up and laid a flower in the crook of the warriors arm. Another pony soon followed, he was followed by two then three until a line of ponies marched past the warrior, each laying a single flower on him until nothing showed. As the last flower was laid, the pony gingerly reached under the flowers and pulled out his helm. Lifting it up, he rested it atop the flowers and left.

As the helm came to rest, Celestia and her sister turned away with a tear in her eye but a determination in her step as she followed Twilight and her friends into the library. The sounds of ponies moving the fallen and cleaning the town followed them into the tree. They didn’t close the door, they instead left it open as an invitation to ponies to come ask for help if they needed it. Overhead, the moon peaked out from behind a cloud and Twilight’s stars were allowed to shine down and bathe the world in their gentle light.

~ ~ ~

The silvery light of the moon slowly illuminated what was left of the castle gardens as it peaked out from behind a cloud that lazily floated across the sky. It crossed the ruined remains of the throne room where nearly a hundred ponies were gathered, celebrating their victory nearly a year ago over the fallen Discord. The light continued on, crossing over the budding plants and short grass that had been replanted only a scant few weeks ago. It crossed over a small stream casting a glint about that caught on a golden torch which reflected it onto a white marble statue. The statue towered over the garden, its ever vigilant gaze locked over the horizon upon which the town he had fallen in rested. Its two hands were folded gently over the handle of a mace with the head resting between his slightly parted feet.

A single white mare sat alone by the statue, her eyes staring into the lifeless orbs chiseled in the marble statues face. Her ears flicked back and forth as she stared until she opened her mouth. At first it was a quiet hum that slowly gathered in strength until it blossomed into words. As the words rang out, the noise from the nearby party died off and everything grew still. The eerie words echoed about the garden and down to the encampment below where refugees stopped and turned their heads up towards the sound of the song. A few guards turned to watch and let tears fall as they realized it was the same song that had been sung that fateful day, the day that had nearly seen an end to their fair nation.

As the song slowly came to a close, a blue alicorn approached the singer and took a seat beside her. Turning her head up she spoke after a moment of pause to allow the song’s echo to die down. “Every night, my dear Tia; every night you come out and sing to this statue. Why? What does this creature mean to you?”

Celestia’s head drooped and a few tears dripped onto the grass below her hooves before she wiped them clear. “I don’t know Luna. I don’t,” She paused and sniffled, “I just don’t know. He haunts my dreams, he haunts my thoughts.” Placing a hoof on the statue Celestia took a deep, shuddering breath. “He haunts my heart. I see him in my dreams when I sleep, I see him in the corner of the room when I raise the sun. I see him everywhere I look.”

Luna lifted a wing and gently laid it over her sister’s back and pulled her close. “You hardly knew him, the pain will pass. Time will heal the wound.”

Celestia shrugged the wing from her back and shook her head slowly before looking at her sister then back to the stone eyes staring over the garden. “I don’t think it will this time Luna. I...I never had a chance to get to know him but...but he was...he was the most wonderful thing I have ever seen.” Celestia paused and stepped up the statue so she could lean herself against it. “No that’s not right. I don’t know what he was at all, what I do know though is that he was loving. I know he was kind and caring as well. He came in like a storm and gave everything without a single thought.” Raising up on her hind legs she draped her forehooves over the statues shoulders.

Celestia placed forehead on the helm just below the crest, her horn alongside it. “What ever this stallion was is unimportant. He told me everything I needed to know by his actions alone. His actions spoke louder than any words ever could.” Dropping down Celestia lifted her head back and paused, just staring at the stars as they came out. “He will be remembered not for who he was or what he was but for what he did.”

Luna shook herself slightly as a tingle ran down her spine causing her feathers to fluff a little. “Tia, doesn’t that make you sad?”

Celestia turned to look at her sister. “It should but it doesn’t. All ponies pass on eventually and are remembered for what they did rather than who they were.”

Luna shook her head. “Then what of Discord?”

“Discord...” The alicorn of the sun let the name hang in the air for a few moments as she pondered. “Will be remembered as a monster.” Her violet eyes closed and she let out a large breath slowly. “His humor will be forgotten. His smile will fade from memory—but his actions, those will be remembered forever.”

“So he will forever be remembered as the one who killed kindness. Who let darkness consume his heart and took kindness from the world.” Luna shivered at the implication. “And as such I will be remembered as the mare who had to be saved from her own heart.”

Celestia’s ears drooped. “The creature who killed his only friend.” Shaking her head Celestia looked at her sister. “Sadly that is what will come mind when people hear his name from now on. Just like they still see Nightmare Moon when they look at you.“

“Doesn’t that bother you at all?” Luna stepped towards her sister, a harsh tone in her voice.

“No. We know who he was and why he did it. As long as we are alive we can keep that part of his memory alive. Even Twilight will remember the pranks he played, the laughter he brought to this castle. Pinkie will remember him as the creature who took her friend in a grief stricken rage but she will also remember how he used to brighten up your day with his insanity.” Celestia rested her wings across Luna’s sides and rested her forehead against her sister’s. “As long as there is someone alive to remember the rest of him then he will not be a monster but just someone who was stricken by grief.”

Luna pulled away from her sister. “And who will remember this warrior.” She motioned to the statue. “No one knew him. He is a mystery who happened to pick the right side.” Shaking her head she looked at the statue. “What reason did you have for choosing Tia’s side in the fight? Why were you so willing to die for a stranger? What demons were chasing you?”

Celestia sighed and her shoulders drooped with her wings. “Does any of that truly matter. His final act in this world was to comfort a stranger. He fought alongside me and though he might have been running from something he still spent his last breaths comforting me. That is how I will remember him.”

Luna sighed and put her hoof on the statue. “I wish I could have known him as you did Tia. To have softened your heart so much is an impressive feat. You do not love easily and yet he seems to have found a place in your heart under such affections. Still, I do not know if he was truly as great as you believe. Perhaps your memory is clouded by the events that transpired or your perception of him was tainted by the horrors around you. None of that matters because he stole your heart and then left you to mourn him. I do not know if I can forgive him for that but I do owe him for returning you to me safely.”

Celestia smiled and stepped up to the statue with her sister. “Indeed, I think he may have taken my heart as he fought beside me. I know it may be wrong to let my heart reach for something we know so little of but he showed me what he truly was with his actions alone, he needed no words.”

Luna and Celestia leaned against each other as they gazed upon the statue. A gentle breeze picked up and teased their ethereal manes a little before settling. Luna rose and bid her sister goodnight as the breeze died off. Celestia smiled and watched her sister go for a bit before turning back to the statue. Turning back to the statue she tilted her head to the side as a glint of moonlight caught her in the eyes. Blinking to quell the spots she noticed that the glow intensified for a moment before quieting to a steady glow. Celestia cautiously opened her eyes and gasped as a soft yellow light seemed to run down the statue, forming a small mound at the foot of the statue..

Slowly the shape of the creature rose up from the light and stood before Celestia. He smiled warmly at her before stepping forward and placing a ghostly hand upon her cheek. Celestia’s eyes closed as she leaned into the airy touch with a sigh. “Why; why couldn’t you have stayed?” She opened her eyes and looked into his.

With a smile he leaned forward and placed a kiss just below her horn. Without saying it Celestia knew what he meant. She knew that he thought she was more important to this world than he could ever be as a strange creature in a strange world. “You may not have been important to the world but you could have been important to me.” She leaned forward with her eyes closed and lips parted slightly in readiness for a kiss.

She felt a ghostly finger press against her lips and opened her eyes. She opened them to see his kind and warm smile that spread to his eyes. He gently shook his head and motioned out to Equestria that could be seen from the garden. Celestia turned to look briefly before turning back only to find he had vanished. The statue stood cold and lifeless in front of her and the apparition had vanished. Sighing the alicorn turned away to make her way to the party were her sister had parted to and froze as she felt a ghostly sensation across her lips. Smiling she closed her eyes for a moment as a soft yellow light filled them before fading completely and leaving her alone once more.

Slowly she opened her eyes and let a smile spread across her muzzle. She looked up to the stars and a tear rolled back from her eye and trailed down her long neck before it was lost in her fur. “I will never forget your kindness. You will be my strange savior forever more and I will never forget what you did for me.” She let her head drop and sighed contently, her heart no longer aching as it had since she had met her savior. As she left the statue in the moonlight, she failed to notice that the light playing across the face gave it the appearance of a smile on its lips.

~ ~ ~

The sun shone brightly upon the crystalline waters of Savior Lake. Little breezes danced over its crystal clear surface causing the inverted images of clouds and trees to come to life. Upside down blue jays sat in the swaying branches chirping their songs to nopony in particular, simply chirping to celebrate the day. The trees around the rim of the sunken battlefield sighed collectively as the wind teased their branches giving an air of tranquility to the area.

It was a peaceful place, a pleasant place, the perfect place to hear ones thoughts which is what drew most ponies to its shores. They came to reflect, to add their sighs to the breeze that would carry away their worries while they enjoyed the chirping of the birds. It was a place of reflection and contemplation for many, a place where once countless death had happened that was now at peace with the world.

Today the lake had a special visitor. A lavender mare with a false leg, a single wing and a horn spiraling from her forehead sat at the lakes edge; her eyes focused on some distant point under the water at the center of the lake. A tear rolled down her cheek and her wing fluttered while the muscles on the other side twitched ever so slightly. Suddenly she grabbed a rock with her magic and flung it at the surface of the lake where she had been staring.

Her ears drooped and head slumped low as she sighed heavily before asking a single word laden with everything she had felt since the day Discord had fallen. “Why?” Her head lifted and her lips curled into a snarl. “WHY?” She flung another stone into the water. “Why was it you and not me? I am the alicorn of magic. Magic is my realm and you, a mere stranger to our lands succeeded where I...I failed.” Her head fell and shoulders slumped.

“Why? Why wasn’t I able to do more? How did I fail so completely? I saw the signs, I should have known what was coming.” Her lips curled into a spiteful smile. “Friendship; I have studied it more than anypony else and yet I understand so little.” Her head rose and she looked out over the lake once more. “And you, you swept in and stole her heart and gave this world your life.” Her breath caught for a moment as she bit back a sob. “What possessed you to give everything? Why could you do it when I couldn’t?”

Lifting her prosthetic Twilight sighed and stared at the near perfect fake fur that covered it. “I tried but I failed. I lost...I lost to him and I lost parts of myself in doing so. I was...I was unable to do anything. I couldn’t fight, I couldn’t be there. I was...” Her words trailed off and she slumped to the ground.

“Princess Twilight?” A questioning voice reached the purple mare’s ears and she turned her head. A mint green pegasus with one wing and a disfiguring scar that covered the entirety of the left side of his face stood nearby, his one eye looking questioningly at the Princess.

Slowly Twilight rose shakily to her hooves. The pegasus jumped to her side and helped steady her. “Easy there.”

Twilight leaned against him and stared over the placid lake surface. “How do you do it?”

The pegasus turned to look at his princess. “Do what?”

Twilight took her weight off the pegasus and sat down. “Cope with it? Every morning I wake up and look in the mirror at a pony who I hardly recognize. I put on my prosthetic and all I can see is my failure.” Twilight looked at the pegasus and the scar on his face. “ How do you look at the scar and deal with the knowledge that you were unable to defend your charge, that feeling of failure washing over you when you see your scars in the mirror. How can you cope with that feeling of failure? We had one task imposed upon us—and we failed.”

The mint colored pony took a seat and turned his eye to the horizon. “It’s hard. My friends and I, we were supposed to be there for the princesses. We didn't protect them from any particular external threats, more like guarding them from loneliness.” He paused and looked back at the scar on his side where his wing used to lie. “Sometimes we are called to step in so that they won’t have to intervene and risk harming innocents who get caught in the crossfire of their battle. Before that day though, when we were called in, I had no idea what it truly meant to be a guard.” His head fell slightly and he closed his eye. “That day we were truly tested. We were called to aid her in battle and never before have I felt so utterly helpless as in the face of that monstrosity and the sovereign Celestia. They fought like nothing I have ever seen before. It was awe inspiring and terrifying all at once.”

The pony paused and several emotions warred across his face. The terror of watching his world crumble around him, awe at the sheer power he had seen that day, the hope brought forth by the strange warrior as he arrived from nowhere. The inspiration and resolve he brought with him as he barreled into the the battle. All that crossed his face before a smile seemed to settle as he remembered the joy he felt as Discord fell and victory seemed to be upon them before the smile flickered and fell away leaving the guard with a sad and defeated look.

“The guards are all told that we are there not to defend the Princesses from the external threats but internal threats. Our job was to be her companion and to keep her company in the long arduous days they have to endure. We are there to protect their minds from the loneliness of immortality.”

Raising to his hooves the ex guard stepped forward and placed a hoof in the lake, “I never truly understood what a god was, the princesses seemed so normal. They played pranks, they laughed, they cried, just like a normal pony. I remember when I was still in training when Luna dropped in as a fake new recruit and kept one upping the drill sergeant. We had some good times with them and it made you forget that they would outlive you and probably attend your funeral. During that battle though...that battle, it was a horrific reminder of what the differences between us truly are. How massive the gap between the princesses and us are.”

His hoof came up and ran over the edges of the burn. “I watched her cut through the enemy like a hot knife through butter, but for each one she slew ten more would rise. It was endless and I began to falter, then he arrived. I watched two gods stand side by side and lay waste to everything before them. I was even caught in the crossfire and it cost me my eye.”

Pausing once more his body shook and terror crawled into his face and settled in. “It was the most terrifying thing I had ever seen. Not because of the power at play but because it showed me how powerless I truly was. I still have nightmares about that night.” He shook himself causing his wing to flop to the ground where it hung limply. “Every morning I look in the mirror and see how helpless I am but then my son races in and gives me a big hug. It makes me realize that even if I can’t fight I can support this world in another way.”

A smile traced across his lips and his eyes seemed to come to life. “To answer your question Princess, I cope with the feelings of helplessness by accepting that my role as a helper is somewhere else. No one else can raise my son like I do. Sure anyone could raise my son but then he wouldn't be my son. To him I am the strongest pony alive. I am not the most powerful or the bravest, just the strongest. I face each day of my life with a smile and hope and love in my heart. That is how I cope.”

Twilight looked at the pony beside her and gently lifted his wing and tucked it back against his side. “I have none of that though. I can’t be there for my friends, my mentor avoids me and I am so busy helping rebuild the nation that I have no time to make for such things.”

The pegasus smiled coyly. “But you made time to visit this grave.”

Twilight opened her mouth and closed it again and thought for a moment before answering. “No I didn’t. I ran away from my duties and simply found myself here. I don’t really understand why.”

The guard tapped his chin a few times. “Maybe you have a few things you want to talk to our mysterious savior about, or maybe you have something you need to get off your chest.”

As he spoke a small blueish green foal bounded up to his side with a smile and wrapped itself around his leg. “Daddy!! Guess what?”

The mint pony chuckled and looked down at the foal. “ I don’t know Shining Future. What ?”

“Mommy got off work early and she said she’s making your favorite.” The foal dropped from his leg beaming up at him with the biggest smile.

Twilight couldn’t help but smile as she watched the foal sway from side to side with energy. His face glowing with pride of a job well done. She watched as her companion stood and rustled the foal’s mane. “Well, let’s not keep her waiting then.” Turning back he nodded to Twilight. “Just think about what I said. Just cause you might not be able to help how you thought you would doesn’t mean you're useless, sometimes your job isn’t what you would expect.” Chuckling a little as the foal bumped against his leg trying to get him to move fast the injured ex guard limped away with the foal bouncing circles around him with endless energy.

Twilight shook her head and turned back to the lake, her brow furrowed in thought. “ I am a princess, it is my job to protect this nation and I failed completely. I was his friend, and her friend and it was my job to be there for them and I failed them in that respect. I was too busy with trying to live up to my own expectations to see what was happening.” Twilight’s closed her eyes and tilted her head back as she took a deep breath and held it. “I was so busy trying to stand beside her, and yet to her I am...I don’t know what I am to her but I know...I know that I can never be anything more than failure in her eyes now.”

Twilight kicked the lakes surface and watched the ripples play out from the impact. “I failed completely that day. I let two of my friends down and failed to be there for the one pony I truly wanted to be there for.” Letting her head drop Twilight sighed and let silence take hold over the lake and herself for a while. Her mind flitting from thought to thought as she tried to figure out why this failure hurt her so much more, why her heart ached knowing that she had failed to be there for her mentor.

By the time she lifted her head again the moon had risen and the call to bring the stars out had begun tugging at the back of her mind. Turning her gaze skyward she began to bring out the stars, crafting each constellation with care and love. The familiar ones she had grown up with and the new ones she had put in the sky to remind herself and Equestria of the most recent battle. Lowering her head she stared at the lake that now reflected the night sky.

“I failed completely at everything I was supposed to do. I lost my wings, and my leg and I don’t even understand why.” Chuckling morbidly to herself. “I can’t fly forward or even walk forward without stumbling anymore.” Using her prosthetic leg she kicked the waters surface. “I am a useless ruler and a failure as a friend.”

As the ripples traveled the lake they seemed to gather up the reflected stars. They bumped into each other and stuck and drifted over the lakes surface, bumping and absorbing others. The ripples came back across the the lake and carried the slowly growing mass of light back towards the edge. As the strange puddle of light washed ashore it rose. A head with a bushy beard, a set of wide shoulders, a thick torso followed by two thick legs that stepped from the puddle as it was swept back into the lake.

The strange apparition stepped up alongside Twilight and took a seat. It kept it’s gaze fixed on the sky and let silence reign, waiting for Twilight to speak. It was several minutes before Twilight turned to look at him, her face neutral as stared. “Why?” The only thing she could think to ask came out of her mouth at barely a whisper.

Tilting it’s head the apparition scratched it’s chin with it’s lips pursed before shrugging it’s shoulders non committedly.

Twilight growled a little. “Really, that’s it. You had no reason for giving up your life for a strange world you know nothing about.” Twilight stood and poked at it. Her hoof passed right through but her anger remained. “You...you come here and shatter everything we know for nothing. My world, everything I thought I knew was proven wrong by you. I am not strong, I am not helpful, I am not a mare of action, I am not brave. You proved I am just a weak scared filly in a world much too big for her and you did it for NO REASON!” Her voice rose to a scream as she ranted, leaving her breathing heavy as she pressed her face into the ghost’s.

The ghost stared into her eyes and frowned slightly. Shaking it’s head it leaned back and pointed to her town. Waving his hand he brought it around to the lake and finished by pointing to Canterlot in the distance. Leaning forward he pointed to Twilight and then her injuries.

“What are you trying to say?” Twilight lifted her eyebrow confused and sat back.

The ghost pinched the bridge of it’s nose then pointed to her injuries then back to the town and the surrounding area.

“What of it. I helped rebuild sure but only because I let it burn.” Twilight shifted uncomfortable as the ghost glared at her. “Okay maybe I didn’t let it but it was my fault. I was to weak to hold him back. Without Fluttershy...” She trailed off for a moment as a few tears rolled down her cheek. “Without her we had no weapon against him. I am the alicorn of magic I should have been a match for him anyway though, but... but without my friends I am nothing.”

The ghost shook his head and stood to his full height, dwarfing Twilight as he palmed her head gently. Ruffling her mane ineffectively because of his incorporeal state he seemed to chuckle. Running a hand over her maimed shoulder he caused Twilight to shiver slightly. He then ran a hand down her leg and over the prosthetic then stood to his full height and pointed to Canterlot.

“Yes, I came all the way there with these injuries. I had to, he had come here to finish the elements. I couldn't let him hurt them, they are my friends.” Twilight paused and her eye’s opened a little wider and she took a sharp breath. “I see what your saying. It took courage and strength to come here with my injuries, but the fact remains I was useless. I made it here and I was unable to do anything to him, all I could do was run around helplessly trying to protect the citizens which I was unable to do and the lives so many were lost because of my uselessness. I couldn’t even find and protect the one mare I wanted to.”

The ghost’s eyes seemed to twinkle as he smiled and sat beside Twilight again. He looked into her eyes with a mischievous look. He had a coy smile on his lips and his face seemed to say “tell me more.”

“Look, it’s just...She taught me everything I know and gave me the chance to learn everything she couldn’t. She has always been there for me and now I can’t be there for her. I failed to protect her and you did what I couldn’t. I want to hate you for it but...I can’t. You saved her and that’s just...I could never thank you enough for saving her, she means more to me than anything else in this world.” Twilight sighed and let her head hang low. “And now I will never have the chance to have that reciprocated. You took that place in her heart and as much as it pains me to admit, you deserve it more.” Twilight shuddered as she held back tears.

The ghost sat back with a thoughtful look before gently cupping Twilight’s cheek to get her attention. Using the cool feel of his ghostly touch he guided her head to look back towards Ponyville. Twilight’s breath caught as a white alicorn swam into view. Her golden crown reflecting the moonlight and violet eyes widened and a hoof on her lips.

The air grew still and the giant ghost stepped back towards the water to let the two mares have room. Slowly Celestia approached her friend as her friend stepped shakily towards her. They stopped and took a seat a mere foot apart, both remaining silent as they stared at each other. The moon came out from behind a cloud and the light came over them like a spotlight and they both went to speak at the same moment. Blushing they turned their heads away from each other for a moment and then turned back to look at each other.

“You first.” Celestia nodded to Twilight as she spoke.

“How long?” Twilight bit her lip the moment she spoke, her ears splaying back a little.

“I think I should be the one asking that.” Celestia smiled warmly and locked eyes with Twilight.

Twilight shrunk back a little and looked around, catching sight of the ghost standing at the edge of the lake. He nodded at her with a smile and Twilight took a deep breath as she looked her old teacher in the eyes. “I...I don’t really know. I think something has always been there but after you sent me to Ponyville it seemed to get stronger. Every letter I sent and every day I went without seeing you hurt a little more as time passed.” With a deep shuddering breath Twilight pulled herself up and sat straight. “When I saw you at the Gala it grew even more, then it was back to the quiet without you. I think it really hit me the day of my brothers wedding.” Twilight trailed off and twisted the edge of her hoof in the dirt with her eyes closed and downcast.

After a moment Celestia opened her mouth to speak but was interrupted as Twilight’s head came up and she began speaking again. “When I saw you laying there defeated...I was terrified. It wasn’t seeing you beaten or anything, it was seeing you hurt like that. Part of me had trouble believing you were beaten but the worst part was your blackened horn. Then we went our separate ways again and I was tormented with nightmares of that day. Then...then I ascended and it all changed, I had hope again. So to answer your question, I don’t really know when it started. It’s always been but also it’s always been nothing more than a dream.” Twilight looked Celestia in the eyes with a sad smile. “Nothing more than a dream I could never reach.”

Celestia sat silent, her mind running in circles as it processed what had been said. She understood the words and even what was meant by them but she couldn’t figure out how she had been so blind. There were hundreds of lifetimes under her wings, hundred of lives of experience and knowledge and yet she had missed something so powerful from the one closest to her. Shaking her head Celestia looked at the purple mare that had been closer to her than anypony since her sister. “So you...” Trailing off Celestia watched as Twilight shook her head slowly. Rising up she moved towards her student. “And you held these feeling close to your heart, kept them secret. Why?”

Twilight shook slightly as she answered, her ears laying back against her head while she look down to the side. “Because you were so far away. Because I never had a chance. Because-” Twilight froze mid sentence as her head was gently turned back to her oldest friend and she felt soft lips caress her own for a moment.

“You're wrong, I am not far away from you, I have held you closer than anyone save my own sister.” Pausing to kiss Twilight again gently she smiled. “You always had a chance. I watched you grow into the strongest mare I have ever seen and for you I would have joyously given it a chance.” Pulling Twilight close, Celestia wrapped her wings around her. “You were right about the stallion who saved me, he did sway my heart, but he is gone. While he has a special place in my heart I have watched enough go to understand that pining after him serves no purpose.”

“So I have to share that place with him?” Twilight smiled and sniffed a little as happiness tried to leak from her eyes.

“My heart has more than enough room for both of you, have no fear.” Leaning down, Celestia placed a kiss at the corner of each of Twilight’s eyes, stealing the tears away.

Twilight chuckled and buried her face in Celestia chest as she began to cry in happiness and wrapped her hooves as far around the alabaster alicorn as she could. In the background the ghost smiled and turned away, fading away as he walked towards the center of the lake. He cast a final glance back at the mares hugging and smiled as he disappeared.

Comments ( 14 )

huh, this small intro on the page is really interesting to make it worth the read. I should do that a bit later in the day.

You seriously need to start proofing your story descriptions.

The day that Chaos rose up and fought was the worst day of Twilight Sparkle's new life. Not because she failed to stop him, but because a stranger did what she could not. A creature never before seen in Equestria stood by Celestia’s side, and together, they took Discord down. Now Equestria is left to rebuild, and to wonder, who was their savior? Where did he come from, and why did he fight? Celestia and Twilight are the two with the most questions and the most scars. They both know that their scars might never heal, and they will never have the answers they want, but maybe together they can find the strength to move forward.

That's just a basic grammar and punctuation pass--there are other improvements you could make (for instance, changing "wonder, who was their savior?" to "wonder who their savior really was.") It's a small thing, but story descriptions make a big impact, and your descriptions always have worse grammar, punctuation, and phrasing than your stories. It's likely a factor that gets your stories fewer views than they deserve.

4034333 makes sense, thanks fer pointing that out. I would hope it's not why people choose to avoid the story but it's their loss if it is.

So this is the rest of the story.:pinkiesmile:
Excellent work.:rainbowkiss:

(Also, I'll try to be a more faithful editor again:fluttercry:)

I love it I actually had tears in my eyes it was so freaking awesome.

4035301 glad you loved it


4034713 sounds good

I queued this up thinking, 'Eh, it'll be another kind-of-sad fic.' I don't care to admit it, but there've been more times i've been wrong in the last two weeks than most of the last ten years, but this mistake takes the cake.

I'll need to add a little context: I like sad, happy, whatever a story can give other than mindless gore. Most 'sad' stories don't phase me, really. Of the, oh, 1500+ stories i've read and enjoyed, only a dozen or so stories have come close to moving me to tears, and I'll happily add this to the list. Only one on that list had me laughing so hard i cried and i'd have to look it up again to get its name, with as many stories as i've blown through the last year and a half.

Silver, you've done an excellent job here. Per my own rules, (3 stories faved, or 200k words, whichever comes first), you've got yourself a new follower. Truthfully, I'd've made an exception just for this story alone with how well it effected me. Not affected, effected. You've not hurt me in any way, you've shown me that I still care about the show, and still continue to care for its characters very much.

This 9k word story literally just flew by for me. I did notice like one or two errors, but for my own life, I can't seem to remember where they were.

4034333 That would be my fault actually, as since I read it before he posted, I should've at least pointed something like that out.

4036914 :pinkiesad2: that makes me the happiest author I have ever been. I am so glad to have effected you in such a good way. I was not having a great day and this alone made my whole day just fine.

So discord killed fluttershy in a fit of rage after she died? Is that what i should assume the cause is?

4037433 theres more to it if you read between the lines. It was grief stricken rage to be precise the reason of which I did not give

4037437
okay. im confused. he killed her in greif striken rage, but later it seems he was in the rage because he killed her. which caused the other?

4040230 it's both. He was sad and angry so he did something unforgivable which made him just plain angry with himself.

Login or register to comment