• Published 29th May 2012
  • 2,107 Views, 47 Comments

A World I Wasn't Meant For - Abstract Spectrum



A short story about Octavia, and her choices as a reaction to the new generation of music.

  • ...
4
 47
 2,107

Chapter 3: Have Faith In Me

Suddenly Octavia's heart almost burst out of her chest when she woke up with a start that morning. She panicked for a moment, heavily breathing, holding her chest, and looking around her bedroom as her vision focused. Octavia rubbed her eyes, and blinked a few times before she could see, just barely, in her dimly lit bedroom. This seemed like an unfamiliar morning to her, probably because it wasn't morning. She realized this when she cocked her head towards the clock, and saw that it was 2:32PM. Cocking her head the other way, she saw that Vinyl was also gone. Since she's usually the first to wake up, Octavia thought she'd be downstairs.

However, this was not the case for this day in particular. Last year for Octavia's birthday, Vinyl let her sleep in like today, but then she'd surprise her downstairs with her latest and greatest classical remix of one of her own dance party songs. Vinyl wasn't good at playing the violin as much as her teacher, Octavia, but she was decent enough to play a legitimate song every once in a while.Octavia resumed looking around the house for her white marefriend. It slightly saddened her that she was not at home the afternoon of her birthday, but she didn't give up hope. Perhaps Vinyl just went out somewhere and didn't before Octavia woke up, which was a reasonable scenario. However she'd usually leave a note of some sort if that was the case. So instead, the grey mare searched for a note instead. She found one beside the front door. Octavia plucked it off the wall and read quietly to herself:

"Dear Tavi,

Went to the mall with some friends, left around 2:00PM, should be back by 5.

Wub you!
Vinyl
P.S. I didn't forget about your birthday, Tavi, don't worry!"

Octavia let out a sigh of relief when she read that her marefriend hadn't forgotten about her special day. The grey mare tossed the note in the trash bin, and began walking back upstairs to sleep in more.

But she was wide awake, and since nopony was home, she wanted to do what she always did when she was alone.

Play her violin.

Of course, before that thought, she'd forgotten that she'd broken her violin last night. She remembered this from the pieces of it still lying on the floor. Octavia sighed, and lazily slumped back into bed, for NOW she had nothing else to do. Of course, going back to sleep was a dumb idea that afternoon. Octavia plopped on her bed, rolled around a bit, then sat up and walked downstairs again. Looking around the living room, she was desperate for something to do. Read? No. Everything on the bookshelves that outline the room she'd read already, at least twice. Listen to music? In her dreams. She didn't have an MP3 player like Vinyl did. Only some old records above the bookshelves that didn't play well. Exercise? Octavia thought, looking down at her stomach. She patted it lightly, shaking her head at the thought. She began walking back upstairs again, until she glanced to the left and saw that Vinyl had left her synth keyboard out. Nervously whipping her eyes back and forth, Octavia looked around for anypony that might walk in on her. Slowly stepping up to the keyboard, she looked around again. She lifted a hoof, and lightly placed it on a key, in which it made a "ZZZZEEEE" noise. She jumped back, the noise startling her. She stepped back up to it, and pressed another key. "booop". Octavia giggled. She began pressing keys in a harmonic order and style, managing to create a small song right off the top of her head.

Suddenly the sound of the front door unlocking made her stop, and dash to the couch as if she had not been touching Vinyl's stuff. The door opened with a long creak, and Octavia quickly struck a pose on the couch that made it seem like she'd been sleeping. The grey mare cracked an eye open to see who came home. She expected Vinyl, but instead she saw Lyra, of course with Bon Bon.

"What are these two doing here?" Octavia thought.

"So what are we looking for again?" Lyra whispered.

"Pieces of Octavia's... ah!" Bon Bon pointed to the violin pieces on the floor. "Those!"

"Shhh! She's right there!" Lyra leisurely pointed to Octavia, nudging Bon Bon.

There was an awkward stare between Lyra and her cream colored marefriend for a few seconds, then Lyra scooped up the violin pieces and put them in Bon Bon's bag.

"That was it, right?" Bon Bon whispered.

"Eeyup. C'mon, let's go back to the shop." The mint colored mare replied as she and Bon Bon went out the front door, closing it behind themselves.

Octavia looked out the window, and saw the two mares walk away. She sat up and looked over to where the violin pieces were.

"Why... did they take those?" The grey mare pondered. After some hard, confused thinking, she shrugged and went back to playing Vinyl's synth keyboard. She tried several different patterns and notes, all of which turned out quite well for it being the first time she's ever played a keyboard instrument. After about 3 hours, her eyelids were suddenly getting heavy. And before she knew it, she fell asleep right on Vinyl's keyboard.

SURPRISE!!!!

Octavia nearly died at the startling sound of her friends bursting through the front door and yelling in celebration of her birthday. The grey mare sat up, and rubbed her head from the fall.

"Oh... heh... thanks you guys." She said awkwardly, yawning.

"And guess what we got for yoooou!" Bon Bon hinted.

"W... what?"

"TA-DAAA!" Vinyl yelled, whipping out a blindingly shiny new violin for her favorite mare.

"My... my old vio-... wait... this doesn't look like my old violin..." Octavia said awkwardly again.

"Oh, yeah, your old violin was 100% F.U.B.A.R., so instead we just made you a new one!" Lyra shouted excitedly.

"Oh~... oh my gosh... it's just... lovely..." Octavia's eyes began to water.

"Well, what are you waiting for? Play us somethin'!" Vinyl suggested.

The grey mare proceeded to grab her bow off of a nearby table, and place the violin in the appropriate position for playing. She took a deep breath, lifted her bow, and smoothly dragged it over the strings. The sound brought a tear to Octavia's eye, as the gentle hum of the instrument was the most beautiful and harmonic sound she's ever heard come from a violin. Octavia placed the violin on the table, and looked over her shoulder at it's creators.

"That was amazing Tavi-HHHNNNNNNG!" Vinyl choked, as her grey marefriend nearly squeezed the living Hell out of herself and Octavia's other friends that stood next to her that night.

"I love you girls..." Octavia whimpered and sniffed.

"Oh... kay... Octavia..." Lyra gagged. "You... can... let go... now... please?"

"Yeah... Tavi... you're... wel...come." Vinyl choked, patting Octavia on the back.

Octavia released her crushing grip as her friends gasped for air.

"Phew! Okay girls, thanks for your help." Vinyl said, insisting that Lyra and Bon Bon depart their home.

"Anytime, Vinyl! Seeya when we seeya!" Bon Bon finished, as she and Lyra walked out into the night, heading home.

Vinyl nudged the door close with a hoof, and turned around straight into Octavia's lips. The kiss lasted for several seconds, longer than usual, Vinyl could tell. When Octavia broke it, she leaned her head against Vinyl's as she snuck a "Thank you." into her ear. Vinyl only smiled back as she and her grey marefriend trotted upstairs to bed.

The two slid under the covers, of course Vinyl bringing Octavia in close. With a glow of her horn, Vinyl shut the door. She adjusted her snuggle a bit before she kissed Octavia lightly on the forehead and whispered, "You're welcome." Octavia scooted closer, and closed her eyes. Vinyl could feel her smile, and knowing that, she drifted off to sleep with her grey marefriend.

"And now, fillies and gentlecolts, put your hooves together for the amazing, the one, the only, OCTAVIA!" The announcer yelled, his voice bouncing off the walls of the large concert room. Clapping ponies spread standing all across the floor looked up at the stage as Octavia took her place on it. They silenced their cheers as Octavia setup her cello and lifted her bow. Taking a deep breath, she began the motion of sliding her bow across her cello's strings, much more confidently this time around.

She could tell from the crowd's expression that the hum of the strings pleased them. It felt weird to her, that ponies were actually enjoying her music again. Also the piece she was playing, she didn't even know, she'd never heard it before in her life, but by Celestia, it was beautiful. Was this a sign? Was this to be the piece to bring back the full house of ponies interested in her music that she'd once sought after long ago? Only time would tell. Hopefully she'd remember it the next night, for if the song she was playing was not "the one", as her supervisor told her, she'd never play on any stage ever again.