• Published 25th Mar 2012
  • 991 Views, 25 Comments

The Chronicles of Star Well - Eragon5055



Star Well finally decides to go to Ponyville. This somehow leads to a war.

  • ...
 25
 991

Searching for... What now?(Ch. 13)

Chapter 13: Searching for... What now?


'I have certainly amassed a strange group of traveling companions.'

Star Well had made it through the Everfree forest on his way to the first stop in his mission to save the Elements of Harmony. Following him was a rag-tag and diverse group as they come.

First was a violet mare that walked with a skip in her step. Screwball was many things to the stallion, a roommate, an assistant, but most importantly a good friend. Star met her less than a year ago, but he already considered her as close as a sister. She had volunteered to come with him without a moment’s notice and Star was glad to have her around.

Next came up the blue mare pulling a carriage behind her. Star had no idea what to think of Trixie. She used to bully him relentlessly in school, but since they had gotten reacquainted, she had managed to save his life and decided to help him in his mission without hesitation. At an outward glance, she was the same boisterous pony he remembered her to be, but it was clear that something had changed. While he couldn't guess her motives, she had proven herself to be a capable magician. Her expertise in illusion magic would be undoubtedly valuable and Star found himself happy to have her around.

Holding up the rear was an orange mare in a brown coat. The ninja kept an eye on the group, glaring particularly on Star, which he had to admit it made him slightly uncomfortable. Bright Shadow had all but openly accuse Star of being a spy and had made it clear that she was there to watch him in case he did anything funny.

The last member of the group though gave Star the most trouble. The red stallion was the brother to Applejack, one of the elements of harmony, and a member of the Apple family, the largest apple suppliers throughout Equestria. Star understood the farmer of few words motives, he was out to save his sisters. No, what caused Star to ponder was his memory of meeting the pony during the battle with mantis. Big Macintosh had arrive at the scene wearing strange silver horseshoes and something about him was off at the scene, as if something was missing. The stallion was not wearing the shoes at the moment and did not give off the same feeling he did before, so Star had to wonder, what had changed.

Star pushed the feelings back at the moment as they reached their destination. 'It could of been just his blood loss at the time that gave him the feeling anyway.' Star thought to himself.

"Why are we at Ponyville again? You really didn't explain your plan to find the Elements." Bright questioned.

The blue stallion scratched his head and looked absent-mindedly at the team. "I didn't explain my plan to you guys?"

"Nope."

"Nada."

"Trixie was not informed."

"I wouldn't be asking about it if I knew."

"Oh." Star cleared his throat as he lead ponies through the now vacant town known as Ponyville. "I have been developing a sort tracking spell that is meant to find all ponies related to a certain pony. The spell requires biological element from the pony to track his or her family, and that is why were at Ponyville, to hopefully find some from the bearers of the Elements. Big Macintosh is with us, we have a steady supply of samples for... Applejack was it?"

The big red stallion gave a nod "Eyup."

"Wait," Screwball turned her head in confusion, "I thought she told me her name was Applesnack."

Big Mac looked in the sky to ponder, and after a few short seconds responded, "Nope."

"Any way," Star continued, "We can locate Big Macintosh's sisters, but there is no guarantee that they're all being kept at the same location. We are here to find samples for the other Elements and the fillies that were kidnapped. Even if all the mares are being kept in the same location, collecting samples for the others could provide a more exact location, more points of reference so to speak."

Bright shadow chimed in from the back, "Why were you developing such spell in the first place? It doesn't seem to have much practical use."

Star turned his head to face forward as he spoke, "The spell does have a few practical uses, it could help find long lost family members or to discover that you do indeed have an evil twin, not to mention a way to flush out changelings. I'll admit though that I was making the spell for more personal reasons and to help Screwball find her relatives."

Bright Shadow's eyebrow raised, "Screwball's relatives? Isn't she related to-Mmmmmmph!!" A violet hoof was shutting the ninja's mouth. The mare gave protests as Screwball put her hoof to her mouth to shush the pegasus.

Star turned his head a little to the side, not really looking back, preferring to keep his eyes forward. "What was that Miss Shadow?"

"Nothing." spoke the swirl-eyed pony, imitating the voice of ninja. The mare finally took her hoof off her mouth when it seemed that the spell smith had bought it. Screwball was then met with a glare that was a sharp as daggers at her direction, but the strange mare did not seem to take notice.

Trixie however did take notice of the events that transpired. The stage magician quickened her pace to catch up with the two lead stallions stating, "The Great and Powerful Trixie shall be up here, you know, with the more normal ponies."

The group continued forward until they arrived at a familiar tree, scars and crystals from the battle that had taken place there still scattered the ground. Star turned to face his audience and spoke, "O.K. It might be a good idea to split up and search. We can cover more ground that way. How 'bout Big Macintosh and I search the library and the surrounding area, while you three go and search at the Carousel Boutique. Afterwards, we could meet at Sugar Cube Corner and head for Fluttershy's cabin because of the size of the place. This way, both groups have someone who is familiar with the town."

Bright shadow gave Star a glare and started to open her mouth to object but Star already understood her concern and cut her off. "Don't worry, I not trying to get rid of you. I know that you don't trust me, but I won't be able to escape you if I wanted to, your pegasus and a ninja to boot. Besides, I would be sending Screwball to go with you if I planned to leave, would I."

The mare begrudgingly gave up and headed off with Screwball in tow. Trixie left to join them shortly after leaving her carriage behind in Star's care. "Trixie does not wish to lug it around the entire town as she searches. Trixie entrusts her grand carriage in Star Well's hooves."

Star shifted his weight a little, his saddlebag moving to more comfortable position on his bandaged sides and his newly acquired thin rectangle box on his back that was strung from his upper right shoulder to his left hip with leather strap shifted. As the two stallions searched the area, looking for samples, Stars thoughts wondered back to the Everfree castle, back to the visit to Lyra's house where he acquired the box.

....................

"You sure you want to go through with this? We could really use your help over here."

"Miss Heartstrings,"

"Please, call me Lyra."

"Lyra," Star admonished, "I'm sorry. My minds made up in this matter."

Lyra gave a sigh, "Since you’re so determined charge first into danger, the least I can do is give you something that will give those bugs a reason to think twice. I can't have you returning from your grand quest in pieces."

Lyra turned and dug into a trunk to retrieve a bland rectangular box. When the mare opened the box, Stars eyes widened to the size of globes.

"Is that what I think it is?"

"Yep."

"Where did you even acquire such a thing?"

"My grandfather found it in some ruins that he was exploring. He gave it to me after he learned about my work. He probably figured I could learn more from it then he ever did."

"There's no way I could accept such a gift."

Lyra groaned and pushed the box into Stars hooves. "You're not leaving without it. Bon-Bon hates that I have this thing lying around anyway. Besides, you going to have more need of this then I will ever have on account of your life-threatening mission."

"I... I don't know what to say."

The mint green pony gave a devilish grin, "Thank you will suffice."

....................

Star continued to explore the area and went into the library while Big Mac stayed outside. Star's efforts were awarded as he entered the Element of Magic's laboratory and discovered a sample of Twilight’s mane that she must have been using or storing for a later experiment.

Star went outside show Big Mac his find when a realization hit him. Big Mac was standing almost on the exact spot He had been in the unicorn's memory of the battle. The memories lined up, and Star's eyes widened as he came to realize what had been different at the battle. In the battle with the mantis, Big Macintosh had appeared at the scene and fought by their side, and no cutie mark had been emblazed on his side.


"Lyra! Somepony is waiting at the door for you. It's another cute one!"

"BON-BON!" Lyra gasped. "Sometimes Bon, sometimes.” the unicorn muttered as she moved through the room. Celestia had graciously provided her with a room in the castle, a considerable upgrade from a few days ago where she and Bon were sleeping in a tent. The past couple of days were so chaotic, Lyra was glad to be sleeping in a bed.

The Princess had told her it would take a day to set up a laboratory and the necessary equipment. She was told to wait for the guard to pick her up, but she did not expect it would be so early in the morning. Lyra sighed as she reached the door and wondered if she could convince them to come later.

As the door came into view, Lyra saw the pony standing in the door way waiting with Bon-Bon. The pony standing at the doorway was a white unicorn stallion with a bright red mane. The unicorn gave a nervous grin and gave Lyra a salute.

"Lieutenant Lance Japheth of the Unicorn Branch of the Equestrian Royal Guard, at your service. I have been placed as the head of security the research center and I am here to escort you today to the facility. I look forward to working with you."

"I was honestly expecting you later today, I was hoping to visit a friend in the hospital today." Lyra turned her head and rolled her eyes at the sight of Bon-Bon ogling the guard. Lyra decided to give her friend a nudge when she saw that Bon-Bon had started to drool a little.

"No problem ma'm. I don't see a problem in taking a detour on our way to the lab." The stallion continued to look nervous and kept backing a little as Bon-Bon took a step forward. "Ummm... can I help I help you ma'm?"

The mare was now staring hungrily at the guard as if he was a piece of cake for her devour. Lyra gave the mare a bonk on the head and apologized, "Sorry about my friend here, you know what they say about mares in spring."

Lance tilted his head in confusion. "I thought it was summer."

Lyra gave a long stare in surprised at the statement of the stallion until she realized he was being completely sincere. Lyra busted out laugh and started heading off. "Let's get going. summer, HA!"

Lance looked even more confused at the mares at burst and sped up to catch the mare, leaving Bon-Bon by herself. "Hey Lyra, leave some good stallions for the rest of us single mars, would ya." Lyra let out a laugh and making Lance blush and more confused than before.