• Published 25th Mar 2012
  • 991 Views, 25 Comments

The Chronicles of Star Well - Eragon5055



Star Well finally decides to go to Ponyville. This somehow leads to a war.

  • ...
 25
 991

Gathering (Ch. 12)

Chapter 12: Gathering


Star Well was thankful that merchants still put up shop despite the crisis. The ponies of Ponyville dared to still tend to their fields despite the dangers and brought their food through the forest to the castle. Merchants also brought their trades with them, determined to help in their own way. Food and commodities were being sold at extremely low prices to support the refugees and in some cases just given away to the families that suffered the most. Star was amazed at the spirit the ponies displayed in helping their neighbors. They were determined to keep commerce alive, showing that despite the tragedies that had taken place, they had not given up.

This also meant that he could still by supplies for breakfast and he was grateful that he wouldn't have to give bad news to a certain mare that he wouldn't be able to make her favorite food in the whole wide world. Star quickly prepared their meal and made it to go. He had a meeting with the Princess, and the early mornings revelations provided plenty of incentive avoid any delay.

After asking for directions, Star made his way to the hall where the Princesses were setting up quarters. When he arrived, he let out a heavy sigh as he say the line that wished to take to the Princess as it snaked down several corridors, but he was thankful when a guard saw him in line and was able to bring him to the front to an inner waiting lobby. The guard however informed him that he had orders only to take him and that Screwball would have to wait in line with everybody else.

Rather then start a fight Screwball agreed to wait for Star as she told him that she would be with Wordsearch until he got back. Star was grateful for her understanding and walked with the guard to the inner chamber.

Star waited in the room, for a short time until he saw a door open and the Princesses and a familiar light green mare. "Miss Heartstrings?"

"Star Well?"

Celestia watched with a little amusement as she saw the surprised reactions of her two guests. "I'll take it that you two have met each other before?"

Star quickly regained his composure. "Yes your majesty, quite recently actually."

"That is good. That will make this next part much easier. Both of you would you come with me."

Both Lyra and Star gave a quick glance at each other and then started off after the Sun goddess.

The group walked down the corridors of the broken castle as Star fell again into deep thought. It was the first time he had been so close to the Princess and he now actually was able to get a good look at his ruler without watching her from the back of a crowd. She gave a clear aura of power, worthy of a goddess but spoke kindly to him and Lyra. 'Why did she want to meet? It doesn't seem that she summoned me to accuse me.'

Lyra decided to end the silence as they walked and asked, "If I may ask, where are we going?"

The Princess responded curtly, "Somewhere more private." At the end of the hall, they reached a small chamber. The room was static and empty save for a single balcony overlooking the forest. "Here we are. My old bedroom, safe from prying eyes."

Star's curiosity peeked. "Please excuse my bluntness, but why are we here?"

Celestia turned to face them. "I brought you here to ask you to do something for me. Lyra, you are known for your research on humans and their technology they have left behind. Star Well, you are an experience spell smith despite your age. I want you two to head research on a weapon we recovered from the attack on Ponyville."

Star Well gave a puzzled look. "Your majesty, why are you entrusting such a task to me? Surely there must be somepony more qualified than me"

Lyra then added, "My research was on humans, not bugs. Why ask me, I'm hardly qualified. And why ask us in secret?"

"Canterlot was compromised because the enemy had classified information on our defenses. I need ponies that I can trust to report to me and protect the research. My best researcher and apprentice has been kidnapped and I don't know who from the College I can trust with this. I chose you Lyra because I fear that these weapons bear a striking resemblance to devices that humans were developing right before their extinction. I also need you Star Well, your experience with complex enchantments can help give us a better chance of understanding the technology."

Lyra gave stepped forward. "It would be an honor."

Star Well gave a short pause and answered. "I'm afraid I must decline."

Lyra gasped and Celestia took a step back in surprise before asking "Why do you decline."

Star Well then opened his bag and pulled out his notes that he made the night before. "I originally came to Ponyville to obtain help on creating a new version of the Locator Spell. With this spell I believe with this spell, I could lead a rescue party to recover the kidnapped bearers of the Elements.

Your majesty, I ask you to give this spell a chance and let me go with a rescue party. I would except your offer and have some other unicorn go in my stead, but the spell is theoretical and I'm not sure if any other pony would be able to adjust the spell if it fails or recognize mistakes in the formula that have to be corrected."

"Even Luna's magic could not locate the mares. What makes you think this spell will succeed?"

Star Well stood his ground under Celestia's questioning gaze and spoke, "This locater spell does not trace remnant magic, impression made by ponies, or any other tradition methods of tracking. The spell is meant to locate ponies through ancestry. It is meant to locate an entire family’s location, no matter how far apart."

Celestia gave a grimaced look. "Even if I had a 100% guarantee that your spell will work, I am afraid that I could not spare any of my guard for such a mission until I have made contact with the rest of Equestria. We are spread incredibly thin trying regain contact with the rest of my royal forces and it could be weeks before I could risk such a mission."

"The swarm had the mares taken alive for a reason. The longer we wait to send a rescue, the better chance that the bugs have get what they want. They are only alive because they want something, and once they get it, it may be too late for a rescue!"

"I'm sorry. I just can't risk it. I know and care for each of them very much, but I have to put the needs of Equestria before them and before myself. I urge you to reconsider my offer."

Star Well looked down for a second then looked up with a determined gleam in his eyes. "I must still decline. If you cannot provide a search party, I will go alone. It is at least partially my fault that they got captured and I cannot just sit by and not try to rescue them."

"Is there anything I could do to change your mind?"

"I'm afraid not."

Celestia sighed, worry shown clearly on her face as she spoke to the unicorn stallion. "Then go, you have my blessing. May Atlas guide your path, my little pony.

Star Well gave a bow. "Thank you your Majesty." Star then turned and started off into the hallway. Lyra then gave the Princess a worried glance and headed off after the stallion. Star turned his head to see the mare catch up to him.

"Why are you doing this? It's crazy, you could get killed!" Lyra exclaimed.

"I have to do this. I was helpless to stop the invaders and my weakness lead to their capture."

"It wasn't your fault! Nopony was prepared for their attack!"

"It's alright. I thank you for worrying about me, but I am not going to turn my back on this."

Lyra looked down and silenced her protests. The big idiot was going to risk his life and there was nothing she could say to deter him. She then reluctantly then said. "Fine. But before you go, promise you'll visit me before you leave."

"Why-"

"Just promise!"

"O.K., o.k. I promise to see you before you leave." With that, the mare took off down the hall. Star watched as the mare left sight and continued on his way. Heavy thoughts weighed his mind as he walked down the hall.

....................

Princess Celestia watched as the two ponies took off down the hall. She sat there deep in thought and almost didn't notice when a blue alicorn flew emerge from the balcony.

"Sister, why did you let him go?"

Princess Celestia let out a sigh and stated, "Even as a Princess, I do not have the right to stop him. Everypony needs to follow their own destiny and are job is only to observe and direct them toward the right path."

Princess Luna gave a puzzled look at his sister, "You let an untrained and untested pony go toward certain danger because it was his destiny? You are making a habit out of this kind of thing."

Princess Celestia turned and gave a slight grin. "It's worked plenty of times before." Celestia then turned her head back to face the corridor. "Besides, if he's anything like his mother, everything will turn out just fine."


Wordsearch threatened to hug him and never let him go when he told her the news. It took nearly an hour to convince her to let go and a dozen different promises to return safe. Screwball stubbornly refused to be left behind stating, "the last time I left you to do something important, I almost ended up with two bosses!" Star was secretly thankful that Screwball was going as he was glad he wouldn't have to perform the rescue completely alone.

Star and Screwball first went to get supplies for the journey ahead, not knowing what or who they would meet. While shopping for food and equipment, Star saw Trixie's carriage in the market place. Star though it best to say goodbye to the stage mare before they headed off and to thank her one last time for saving his life.

"You're going to do WHAT!?! Trixie cannot allow this, not by yourself!" The mare exclaimed.

"I'm not going alone. Screwball's going with me." Star tried to reason.

"That is not enough! It is decided then, Trixie is going with you!"

"Wait what? I can ask you to put yourself in danger for my sake."

"It is clear that you can't go a week without Trixie without managing to get yourself in trouble. The Great and Powerful Trixie will be accompanying you and there's nothing you can do about it." The mare attached her carriage and headed off to the city exit despite Star protests. He cursed himself for telling her and gave up trying to change her mind. 'She as stubborn as a mule!'

Star then saw a mule walk on the side of the street look at him with a weird look which made him immediately think 'No offence.' and immediately began questioning his sanity for his need to think that as the mule looked satisfied and walked off.

As the trio made it the entrance of the Castle, they were intercepted by two ponies, an orange mare and a bright red stallion.

Bright Shadow came up to Star and said "Don't think you’re going anywhere without me. I still don't trust you and you still have a lot to answer for. The Princess herself informed me of your little mission and I'm going with you. Even if the Princess trusts, I don't."

Star then look at stallion, recognizing him as the pony that had ended the fight against the giant bugs. Star asked "I don't believe we have met. Why are you here?"

The big stallion turned his head and stated. "Ma names Big Mac. I heard from the Princess that you was going off to rescue my sisters and their friends and could use some help. Those bugs took both of ma sisters and I'll be dammed if I do nothing about that."

Star looked at his ragtag team that had assembled. All were just as determined as he was to follow him on his quest and no more words needed to be said on the subject. They were all going, whether he liked it or not.

Star Well, Screwball, Trixie, Bright Shadow and Big Mac all headed out of the castle into the Everfree Forest.