• Published 20th May 2014
  • 8,087 Views, 169 Comments

Champion of Equestria - Buddy Hooves



In a world of talking equines, one man must learn adjust to his new life as one of them. All while trying to control strange powers he has yet to understand.

  • ...
34
 169
 8,087

Chapter 20: Matters of the heart

Darkness.

I once again found myself surrounded by darkness after going to sleep for the night. This was the third time I had this dream since coming to Equestria, and each one was just as bad as the last one. Everything felt so real, and to make things creepier, there was a strange dark energy around me. I knew it was a dream, so I could try to control my fears and use that to my advantage. Still didn't stop me from feeling nervous as hell, though.

"Oh man... not again!" I complained with a sigh. The darkness continued to surround me, closing me into a small circle. I stood firm, ready to face whatever nightmare hide behind the darkness. I once again heard an evil laugh as green glowing red eyes appeared behind it.

Mark Stevens..... you don't deserve the power of the crystal! A voice boomed, sounded like it came from every direction.

"Show yourself coward! Come out and face me!" I demanded, trying to call out whatever it was.

Foolish boy. You may have learned how to use a small portion of the crystal's power, but you don't know what true power truely is. The voice laughed.

"Oh yeah?! We'll see about that!" I said, before getting ready to attack. If this was just a nightmare, now that I knew I was dreaming, I could control what I did. "Ka... me... ha... me...." I called as I powered up the blast, aiming straight at the glowing big eyes. "HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!" The blast shot straight through the darkness, cutting a opening right through it like a hot knife through butter, and I heard the voice give a small grunt.

Once the blast was finished, I took a look around my surroundings trying to see what was up. The darkness around me had backed away some, and the hole I made from the blast was still there. It was like a long stretch of hallway with the darkness as the walls. After a minute or two of nothing happening, I decided to press on and see what else the nightmare had in store for me. Taking a deep breathe, I dared to walk down the opening I had cut through the darkness. Once I was sure the darkness wouldn't collapse in on me like a parted sea, I began to relax a little.

As I walked further down the opening, I thought I saw something moving through the darkness. That made me stop in my tracks as I waited for something, anything, to happen next. But instead of an ambush, I watched in amazment as something began to form from the darkness, and I found myself looking at myself. It was an image of me as a kid, as I stood in the playground while the other kids laughed at me. I remember those days. It was when I was in 5th grade, and was being made fun of every week. It got so bad that year that many times during recess I thought of running away from school and heading home. And on the worst days..... I thought of suicide.

Such anger behind those young eyes. The voice once again boomed from the darkness. But that rage made you strong. Made you learn to take control, to use it as power!

"What is this? The villian version of 'This is you life'?!" I questioned as I looked around me, expecting something to jump out at me. But nothing happened as the image continued to play in the darkness and the voice chuckled.

That's what I love about you humans. So quick to distrust, to suspect the worst of things. As the voice talked, the image changed with many quick flashes. You humans understand what true power really is! What it means to take control and do what everypony else is too afraid to do. Unlike those soft hearted ponies, you humans aren't afraid to get your hands dirty. To embrace your darker side. I gasped as the images showned war, dictators, nukes and death. All the worst parts of humanity flashed before my eyes. But the sad thing was, he was right.

"We're not all like that." I stated.

So you say. But you and I both know that darkness exists deep inside all of humanity. Even inside of your precious family. Even you!

The images flashed again, this time showing me as a little kid hiding in my room while my parents argued. The memories flooded my mind as I remembered those horrible fights. Mom was an alcoholic back then, and would drink while dad was gone on long business trips. When he came home, she would always accuse him of sleeping with some woman and they would fight. While some of the times it was just words being said, other times the fights would get violent. A few times she took a butcher knife to his car and stabbed holes in it, even cut his arm with it. She also threw a brick at the garage window, a microwave out of the house and phones across the hall. I remembered how helpless I felt back then, unable to stop them or try to make things better. I even remember my dad sitting on my bed crying one night while mom cried on the porch, talking about leaving each other.

I remembered how much that worried me, thinking they would break up and get a divorce like everypony else. I remembered how my friends at school talked about how their moms and dads got divorces, and that always made me feel alittle sad, but glad that mine didn't. Even if they always fought, even if they didn't seem happy, they stayed together and tried to work it out. I remember all the fighting stopped the day dad got hurt at work. But it would be years later before mom had her injury at work, causing her to quit drinking. If anything, I was always greatful for that.

Face it, Mark, your damaged. Deep down you have a dark place in your heart as well. The voice chuckled. A fire burns inside you. An anger to take control of your life and punish those that wrong you.

"Stop it!" I shouted at the darkness as all around me more visions of the worst parts of my childhood looped over and over.

You could make that happen. I could show you how to use your powers to control this world and make it your own.

"No! I'd never do that! Celestia and the others are my friends, I'd never do that!" I screamed.

Oh, you poor naive boy! The voice laughed. They trust you now, but wait until you have full control of the crystal's power. They'll see you as a threat!

"You're lieing! They'll help me find a way home!"

And you really believe that?! Fool. Let's say they do help you find a way back to your world, do you really believe you can just go back to the way things were? You've been gone now for almost a month now. Your parents will assume you dead by now.

I froze on that. He had a point. By now I would have been missing for about four weeks now, almost a full month. With no body, or word of my whereabouts, my family wouldn't know if I was dead or not. Even if they believed I was still alive somewhere, they would start to lose hope at this point. Another image started to form in the darkness, this time all the images merged into one huge one, and I found myself looking at something I thought I'd never see.

My own funeral.

Family members stood around a coffin as a priest read from a bible. My mother cried into my father's shoulder, as tears rolled down his face as well. All my cousins, uncles and aunts were there as well, all with sad expressions. My jaw dropped and my eyes began to water at the sight. "No.... it can't be true. It can't." I repeated over and and over as I watched them lower the coffin into the ground.

Face it, Mark. Your family thinks your dead. There's nothing left for you there. The voice said smuggly.

"But... but how would they think I was dead? They don't even have a body!" I almost screamed. Trying to make sense of this nightmare.

Your clothes. When you were teleported to Equestria, your clothes and a pile of ashes were found in the park. At first they didn't know what to make of it, but soon they decided that whatever happened to you... you weren't coming back from. The voice explained. Closing my eyes to fight back the tears, I grented my teeth as I hung my head down.

He was right.

"Damn it...." I sobbed.

Join me, Mark. I can teach you to control your power to it's fullest and crush all who oppose you. You could have anything you want. Equestria would be yours! The voice went in an almost typical villan speech. Suddenly, things began to click in place in my mind.

"YOU! You're the one who.... who's after me! You're the one who sent the griffons and golem after me and my friends!" I screamed, jumping into a defensive position. This was the fucker behind everything!

Cleaver child. The voice said before the glowing eyes reappeared from the darkness. Then I'll make things very clear for you. Join me, or you and your friends will die. As the voice boomed, one final vision formed in the dark. It showed what looked like Canterlot, in ruins and burning. Ponies laid dead on the floor as far as the eye could see. As I got a better look, I saw the princesses, Twilight and her friends scattered across the ground. Not moving. Not breathing...

"NOOOOO!!!" I screamed at the sight.

This is your only warning. He said as the darkness around the glowing eyes began to take shape. I suddenly found myself standing infront of a huge black dragon as it looked at me with hungry eyes. Before I could say anything, the thing opened it's mouth and red hot fire shot towards me.

As the fire began to lick my body, I screamed.


I awoke with a scream, jumping up into a sitting postion on the bed, with sweat pouring down my face. Yes. Sweat. You would think because of our soft fur, we would pant out our sweat through our mouths. But nope, we sweat just like people would. Anyway, I sat there shaking like a leaf in the wind as my heart pounded a hundred beeps a minute and my mind raced to process the nightmare I had. That was really... too real. I thought, trying to calm myself while putting the pieces together. How could that have been a simple nightmare? That, that.... thing, was the very thing that's been after me since I first got here! I couldn't have thought up a nightmare like that. No way.... I took a few, long deep breathes, holding my head in my hooves as I tried calming down. At least I wasn't shaking anymore, and my heart was beginning to slow down.

But as more of the nightmare flashed into my head, the more things seemed so weird. It doesn't make any sense! If that really was the thing after me, why would he come into my dreams to try to recruit me, and then boast to me? That thought puzzled me for another moment, before the part where it turned into a dragon enter my mind. Ohh... that's why. He thinks he's unbeatable. Damn, if that thing is really the thing after me, I'm screwed! No way I can beat that thing, powers or no powers. But then my mind rewinded to the part where he was showing me images of my pasts. How was he able to know so much about my past and my world? And that vision....

The vison of my own funeral played over and over in my mind. Thoughts flew around my head as I tried to keep myself from freaking out. That couldn't have been real. It couldn't! Even if all they found of me was my clothes, my wallet, and a pile of burnt ashes, they still wouldn't have enough to claim me as dead. I had at this point, hopped off my bed and had started pacing my room. Even so, my family wouldn't give up looking for me so soon.... would they? That part worried me the most. I loved my family, and I knew they cared for me, but I knew we weren't perfect. Noponies were. But even if my parents tried to hold onto hope of me returning, a month of nothing about what happened to me would be a bad sign. What if they did give up the search? What if they did think I was dead by now? Then that means any attempt of me returning back home would be for nothing.

The more I thought about it, the more things seemed hopeless. "What if.... what if I..." So many thoughts and doubts ran through my that I thought it would explode. Stopping in my tracks, from pacing around in my room, I let out a long sigh. I needed some air. I need a place to sit down, alone, with my thoughts, and ponder on things. I need something to calm my nerves. I need...

"I need a drink!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was about 3 in the morning, and not a soul seemed to be awake in the castle. Well, except the guards posted around the place, but you know what I mean. I made my way in the kitchen and helped myself to an unopened bottle of red cooking wine. Normally, I was against drinking any alcohol. You see, after I turned 18, I had the chance to do some drinking during family weddings or get togethers. But it was about a year ago when I drunk a whole bottle of Jim Bean(Yes! I'm saying it wrong on purpose.) with my friends, passed out, and woke up puking. And once you spend a whole night dry heaving and crying, you tead to stay away from any alcohol what so ever! However, now was a different matter all together.

I had spent a good hour and a half taking sips from the bottle of wine, (No need to use fancy glasses!) and was more then a little tipsy. Guess my tolerance to alcohol would be as useless as shit, seeing how I've only drunk a few time in my life. Twilight and the others would be up and about in about another half an hour, and I was in no shape to be around them for the morning. At least the wine did it's job! I was feeling good and wasn't worried about some crazy nightmare that scared the shit out of me.

As I sat at the kitchen bar, I waved the almost empty bottle of wine in my hoof as I sang the intro to one of my favorites cartoon intros. "Living here in Jersey, fighting villains from afar! We gotta find first gear, in your giant robot caaaaar! You dig giant robots! I dig giant robots! We dig giant robots! Chicks dig giant robots!"

Suddenly I heard soft giggles coming behind me from the door. I turned my head to see a bemused Cadence looking at me, a big smile on her face. "Nice." She laughed as she walked into the kitchen and took a seat next to me on the bar. "Is that another song from your world?" She asked.

"Kinda." I said, before giving her and the fuzzy room a puzzled look. "Wwaaaiit aaa minute.... why youuu up so earrrrlee?"

"Well...." She raised an eyebrow at me before answering. "When you spend your time ruling over a kingdom, you tend to make a habit of waking up early."

"Ohhhhh.... that makesss sssense."

"I'd ask why you woke up early for, but it looks like I see the reason why." She pointed at the bottle of wine I was holding.

I just waved my hoof dismissively at her. "Ahh, thissh isshn't the real reasshon I'm up." I explained to her. "Thissh ish just to take the edge off after waking up from a bad dream."

"That must have been on heck of a dream." She said, giving me a look over. "Do you want to talk about it?"

Normally I would have said 'no' and just brushed the subject away. I don't know if it was because of the wine, or the fact that the nightmare had really shook me up, but at the moment, somepony to talk to would have been nice.

"Ya know what? Yesh. Yesh I would." I nodded alittle too hard, and almost fell off the bar stool.

"I'll make some coffee." Cadence said before standing up and walking over to the counter. "Looks like you need some."


About a pot of coffee and a few bathroom breaks later, I was starting to sobber up. I was feeling alittle tired and was getting a small headache, but I was starting to feel much better then I was. Alot better then waking up dry heaving, I'll tell you that right now! As I was fighting off the effects of the wine, Cadence and I sat at the bar while I explained that horrible nightmare. I told her everything. About how this was the third time I had that nightmare since coming to Equestria, how that damn creature was behind everything, how he knew about my past and the fact that he showed me my own funeral. Through all of it, Cadence listened with a calm expression. Though some of time, she had a look of horror or worry on her face while I spoke. Guess some of the things I grew up through must have been shocking to her. Hell, it was still shocking to me!

"My word!" She exclaimed after I finally finished. "Now I see what had you so worked up this morning that you decided to pertake in a morning drink."

"Yeah, tell me about it. To tell you the truth, I don't even like the taste of alcohol." I admitted with a chuckle. Give me a can of Cola any day!

"But what I don't understand, is that you said you had that dream three times now. Am I right?" I nodded. "Then why hasn't auntie Luna been able to sense them or use her powers to stop them?"

"Wait, she can do that?" I asked, surprised.

"Yes. As princess of the night, it's her duty to watch over her subjects while they sleep." She explained. "She's able to use her powers to enter the dream realm and protect ponies from horrible nightmares. But it doesn't make any sense. Why hasn't she been able to detect yours yet?"

"Hmmm..." I pondered on that for a moment. "Maybe he's able to block her somehow. Like a cloak mode or something."

"I don't like that." Cadence said with a worried expression.

"Me neither." We sat there for a moment in silence, as we both tried to think upon what it all meant. After a few minutes, I placed my head in my hooves as I sighed in frustration. "Aaaahhhhggg!!! As if I didn't have enough to worry about with that silly Gala coming up. Now I have to worry about another attack, from what maybe a giant dragon?!" I paused before voicing my own opinion on that. "Man, this sucks!"

"I don't understand, Mark. What do you have to be worried about going to the Gala?" Cadence asked with a confused expression on her face.

Thoughts of my highschool prom flashed in my head. I had wanted to go, but didn't have a ride there, nor girl to take to it. My childhood friend Alex, who was always somewhat of a loner, didn't want to go because of similar reasons. I tried to get him to go with me, but he said it would look gay to have two guys going alone. That was, until I got a date for the prom and talked him into being my ride. You see, one of the popular girls in school, Tara, thought it was a good idea to hook me up with this pretty little freashmen(I forgot her name.) So on the night of the prom, we pick her up, and she has us tag along with a group of her freshmen friends in a van, all while me and Alex follow alone in his car. So anyway, first we go to this bar/restaurant, and spend most of our time there, all while me and Alex sit at the side table. Then they finally decide to go to the prom(again, with me and him tagging behind), and the stupid little girl wouldn't even let me dance with her! It was at that point, Alex and me had enough of there shit and left the prom to go back to his house. The next day, we went to the movies to watch Spider-man to make up for it.

"Well, it's a fancy rich pony party, for one thing. And I've never been to a fancy party before." I stated. "And second, I've never been very lucky with the ladies, especially during parties. But now I have six of them going with me to this Gala! And to top it all off, now I have to worry about their safety because some crazy, power hungry butthole is after me."

"I'm sure everything will be alright." She said while patting a hoof on my back to comfort me. "My aunts will make preparations to make sure nothing will happen during the Gala. And if it does, they'll do everything in they're power to keep you safe."

"I'm not worried about me, I'm worried about girls." I replied. "I know they'll try to protect me if something does happen, and that's what worries me. I don't care if anything happens to me, but if something happened to them, I'd never be able to forgive myself!"

She looked at me for a few seconds, before a soft smile formed on her face. "Spoken like a true hero."

"I'm no real hero."

"Not from what I heard! You've only been here for almost a month and you've rushed in to save Twilight and her friends not once, but twice now. And all without a second thought or expecting a reward afterwords." She stated, all while looking at me with a warm smile.

I didn't say anything, but thought on that. Maybe I am a hero, then. I never thought of myself as one. I was always the weakest at gym, and the last guy to run up to check on things after a car wreck. I was always a bit of a loner, and hated being in large crowds. But one thing I was always complimented for, was being a good friend. And here in Equestria, I had proven that already in spades. Maybe that Hercules movie was right after all... 'A true hero isn't measured by the size of his strenght, but the size of his heart.'

"Huh. Maybe your right." I said with a small smile.

"You really like those girls, don't you?" She asked.

"Yeah." I nodded.

"Anypony in particular?"

"Well..." I started to blush alittle at that. "There is one."

"And?"

"And what?"

"Does she know how you feel?" She asked.

"No." I admitted.

"That won't do." She shook her head. "You simply must tell her how you feel. Maybe ask her out to the Gala, and tell her your feelings then."

"But what if she says no? What If I tell her, but she doesn't feel the same way. What if I make a complete ass outta myself and she never wants anything to do with me again?!" I asked, starting to freak out.

"Calm down, Mark. It won't be like that. Just tell her. If she cares for you as well, then you have nothing to worry about. And if she doesn't, it won't mean that you won't be friends anymore. Just try it. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain." She explained. "Love is funny like that. And trust me, I know about love!"

I guess she did, seeing as she was the alicorn of love and all. I pondered on what she said, wondering if I really should try my luck. In the past, the end result always turned out bad for me when I tried to ask out a girl. But then, I thought of something. I'm not on Earth anymore. Which was true. And the mares here were much nicer and fun to be around then the girls back home. Maybe it could work.

"You know what, you're right! I should give it a try. In fact, I'll go ask her out today! Thanks Cadence, I feel much better now!" I said as I leaned in and gave her a quick hug.

"No problem, Mark. Happy to help." She replied, then returned the hug. I hopped off the bar stool and made a mad dash straight for the kitchen door. As I did, I saw that Twilight & Spike were starting to walk into the kitchen for some breakfast. As usual, Spike was still alittle sleepy looking, while Twilight was up and ready to face the day. They saw me as I ran by them at the door.

"Morning, Mark. What's...." Twilight started to ask, but I was already running down the hall past them.

"Sorry guys, can't talk. I'll see you later!" I hollered back.

The last thing I thought I heard Spike ask was, "I wonder what that was about?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About a few hours and a long journey later, I finally arrived at Sweet Apple Acres. I was finding it funny that I sung 500 miles a few days ago, and now I felt like I've ran 500 miles. I looked up at the postion of the sun in the sky, from my guess, it looked to be about 8 o'clock by now. Which meant that the Apple family would be up by now and just starting on their daily chores. Walking past the farm's fence, I slowly began to make my way to the barn/house of theirs. As I did, I noticed that Big Mac was already out and about, plowing the fields so as to plant a new garden.

"Hi, Big Mac." I greeted him as I walked closer to where he was.

He looked at me, gave me a small smile and nodded. Apple Bloom was right, he really didn't talk very much.

"Is Applejack here by any chance?"

"Eeeeyep." He answered, before pointing over at their house. "Her and Apple Bloom are helping granny with baking right now."

"Thanks Big Mac." I nodded, before making my way to the front door of the house. Good. She's still in the house. I thought. You can do this Mark! You can do this! I won't lie, my heart was racing and head was alittle fuzzy where I was feeling nervous. I've asked out many girls in my short life, and always got shot down or placed in the dreaded 'friend zone'. So working off my previous attempts, my mind was a wreck with worry that this was just going to be another failure on my part.

"Please don't be another one..." I whispered, before finally knocking at the front door.

As I stood there, I heard a faint "I'll get it!" come from inside. That was Applebloom. I thought with a smile. Her and her friends were such good kids, you couldn't help but admire how cute they were. As she opened the door, I readied myself for what was about to happen. Well, looks like it's now or never.

"Mark!" Apple Bloom said in surprise as she opened the door. "What'cha doing here?" She asked.

"Hi, Apple Bloom. Is Applejack available?"

She paused at that for a moment, as she just blinked at me with a confused look. But then the gears in her head finally started to click, and she realized what I was asking.

"Ohhhh......" She finally replied. "Hold on just a sec." She then turned her head towards the inside before announcing, "SIS, IT'S FOR YOU!!"

As I tried to keep my ear drums from busting in on me, she turned back towards me with a smile. "She'll be right with ya." She said before walking further inside. While she did, I couldn't help but laugh alittle at that display. I remember when I was a kid, I'd always answer the door like that too. Easier to just yell, I guess. Applejack finally came to the door, a suprised look on her face as well. That didn't surprise me, seeing how was still early and I did run straight over here. I perpared myself for however this little scene was going to play out.

"Mark. Fancy seeing you here this early in the morning." She said with a smile.

"Morning AJ. I was hoping to talk to you for a moment."

"Sure, sugar cube. What'cha need?"

"Well I... you see..." I started to fumble my words. Man was I nervous! Taking a deep breathe, I started over. "You know how the Grand Galaping Gala is coming up in a few days?"

"Sure Ah do. We all plan ta go together just like we did last year." AJ answered.

"Right. Except I'll be there too." I stated.

"What'cha getting at, Mark?" She gave my a curious look.

"Well, I was hoping.... if you didn't mind.... that you'd go with me to the Gala." I finally said.

Applejack rolled her eyes as she chuckled at me. "Of course ah will, silly. We're all going ta it together."

"Yeah..... I mean, with me. As in, together.... as a couple." I blushed.

Applejack's eyes grew wider as she realized what I was asking. And she was blushing just as hard as I was.

"Mark.... Are ya.... asking me out?" She asked almost dumbfounded.

Looking down at the ground, I just nodded. This was a stupid idea! Why did I ever think about trying something this dumb?! Fearing that this was turning up like every other time I've done this, I decided to bow out.

"I understand if you don't want to. It was stupid of me." I chuckled as I turned to leave. "I'm sorry to waste your time."

"Mark, wait." Applejack said as she reached out to stop me from walking away. Turning around, I looked at her with a worried expression, but found her looking at me with a warm smile. "Ya really what to go out with me?"

"Yes, AJ. Will you go out with me?" I asked. "I understand if you don't. I mean, we've only know each other for a month, and I'm from another world. And I..."

I was cut short as she wraped her arms around my neck, giving me a big hug.

"Yes, Mark. Of course Ah'll go out with you, ya big silly!" She said over my shoulder.

We stayed like that for a good minute, just me and her. Nothing else mattered to me at that moment except holding her in my arms. We could have been sucked into a black hole, for all I cared, just as long as we were together. As we held each other, I couldn't help but have that Aerosmith song, 'Don't want to miss a thing' play in my head. I smelled her scent as we held each other in our embrace. Cinnamon. I smiled at that.

Suddenly, a loud rumble from my belly broke us from our embrace as we looked down at my stomach.

"Heh. I forgot to eat breakfast this morning." I laughed.

"Come on in, Mark. Ah'll have Granny Smith whip ya up some grub."

Author's Note:

Thank for reading. Sorry if it seemed kinda rushed at the end, but my sister just moved back in with us. So I've been dealing with that this week. Next time, We finally begin The Grand Galaping Gala! I can't wait, because I have alot planned, but I also want to take my time. With any luck, I'll have the next chapter out by the end of the month.
If not, I'll have it by Octto.