• Published 23rd Mar 2012
  • 2,074 Views, 48 Comments

Behind a Sunny Face - Tayman



How does one deal with infinite, inevitable loss?

  • ...
3
 48
 2,074

Chapter 4

Twilight was thrust back into reality. Several torches were now lit, and the sky above was fading to lavender and orange as the sun began to set. She laid on the floor, muscles limp and heavy, staring at the wall.

Despair. I've never felt it with that much intensity. It's a bleak, hopeless feeling. Dozens of ponies...all gone in a flash. It was an accident, but that doesn't change the fact that nothing will ever bring them back. Twilight could still hear Celestia's hopeless sobs ring in her ears.

Still, that power...I've never felt anything like it before. A tingling sensation surged through her body.

Twilight glanced up at Celestia, who was also staring into space, a blank expression on her face. "H-how did you deal with it?" she stammered.

Celestia didn't move as she spoke. "It took time, Twilight. Nothing can fix what I did. I was hasty. I was looking for an excuse to use my power, and it just got out of control," she uttered, staring at the ground. "I was young back then. Luna and I were thrust into ruling after we gained control of the sun and moon. The ponies wouldn't have anyone else, so we had to learn as we went along. It was a huge burden from time to time, as you saw. We possessed incredible powers, ones we didn't quite have full control over yet. And well...you saw what happened.

"But that was almost 2000 years ago. The grief has faded. I eventually had to get over it. Life goes on, and I had a kingdom to run." She simply nodded.

Twilight shook her head. "But when? When did you get over it? What happened afterwards? Did every pony fear you? How did it affect your rule? What-"

Celestia chuckled, raising a hoof to stop Twilight. "My, you're quite eager to learn more, aren't you? But isn't it getting late? We've been in here for hours."

I need to know what happened next, Twilight thought. She's like a walking history book, a portal into another world. I've never been so fascinated in my life.

"Princess? Could I stay here for a few days? I-I just want to learn more about you. Please, share more memories with me. They're really interesting," she breathed with wide eyes.

Celestia smiled, leading Twilight out of the memory room, the wall rising to seal off the entrance behind them. "That's what I had intended all along, Twilight." Her horn glowed momentarily, and shortly afterwards the door of the study opened, a silver maned unicorn trotting in."

"Yes, Celestia? Do you need something?" April said, before her eyes lit up upon noticing Twilight. "Oh, Twilight! I didn't know you were visiting! It's great to see you!"

She smiled. "Great to see you too, April. Keeping busy?"

"Oh, you have no idea!" April beamed as the three of them began to walk down the corridor. "Castle life is busy, but so rewarding!"

"April, Twilight will be staying with us for a few days. Could you please show her to a suite?" Celestia stated.

"Of course! Sleep well, princess!" April exclaimed, as Celestia turned to walk in the opposite direction. April and Twilight walked in silence for a a few minutes, before they turned through a wooden door and began climbing a spiral staircase up one of the castle towers.

"So, what exactly do you do as Celestia's assistant?" Twilight asked, eyes just beginning to adjust to the narrow, dim, torch lit stairway, a stale, musty scent hanging in her nostrils.

April grinned. "Lots of things! It really depends on what the princess needs. I arrange balls and parties, help out with court meetings, handle minor citizen complaints..." she trailed off. "I really enjoy it! Life is really interesting in the castle."

"I see. Sounds like you keep busy! I miss Canterlot from time to time. I grew up here, you know." Twilight said, as they reached the top of the tower.

The assistant nodded. "Yes, I've missed seeing you around here. Perhaps you could come back someday!" She said, before opening the door to the suite. Twilight's jaw dropped as she stared wide eyed at the room. Straight ahead was a large frilly canopy bed, the same one from Celestia's memory, with sparkling sapphire sheets and puffy pink pillows. The last traces of sunlight shone in through arched windows, which were lined with golden curtains. Overall, the suite was reminiscent of Celestia's first bedroom.

"Wow...I had forgotten how nice the suites are!" Twilight exclaimed, trotting into the room. "I'm exhausted, though. I'll see you tomorrow, April."

April nodded, bowing her head before turning to exit. Twilight flopped down on the bed, yawning and slipping under the soft, silky covers. With her horn, she turned off the lights and closed the curtains.

Feels like forever since I slept in one of these beds. So comfortable. Lucky April, she probably gets to sleep like this every night. Twilight closed her eyes, but the events of the day still pounded in her head.

I can't believe I never talked to Celestia like that before. I've spent over ten years studying with her, but it was only that. Studying. Today was the first day where it really felt like I got to know her. She's so fascinating. She has to have thousands of stories to tell. I need to hear all of them. I don't care if they wear me out. Her memories...I've never felt anything with such intensity.


Indeed, all the emotions Celestia had exposed her to were still simmering in her mind. She lied under the covers, barely possessing the energy to shift about and get more comfortable. Twilight attempted to clear her mind, the clashing feelings slowly fading.

Still, why did she call me here in the first place? Was she feeling sad? Did she need somepony to talk to? I understand I'll have to deal with loss eventually, but hopefully not for another hundred years! Why did she need to summon me now, of all times?

She yawned. It was too late to think about it. Eventually, she drifted off to sleep, eagerly awaiting a new day of learning.

Comments ( 8 )

this made me grin, I love these sorts of development

You derped the chapters (Chapter 2.5 is listed after 3)

412906

That's because I added chapter 2.5 after chapter 3 and I don't know how to change the order of chapters.

Meeester
Moderator

"Lucky April, she probably gets to sleep like this every night."
Why do I feel like this will lead to a sad development...
The chapter felt short, but it was very satisfying. It set up for a lot more story telling :D

413270 Cut and paste each chapter into something to keep them with, and then paste and post each chapter in the right order.

415850 Basically this. It will leave your comments out of order, but they will still be intact.

The derped order really messes up the story,

Wait... Why is this cancelled? :applecry:

777252

Hehe, because it was bad, and I've moved on to other, better stuff.

Login or register to comment