• Published 20th Feb 2014
  • 778 Views, 17 Comments

Pearl - A Hoof-ful of Dust



Sweetie Belle, lead singer of Equestria's hottest new band Filly Explosion!, wants to break from the sugary-pop image sculpted by her manager.

  • ...
1
 17
 778

Virtuosette

Vinyl pushed her glasses back up her muzzle, the violet lenses hiding her eyes, and waved the magazine she had been reading at Sweetie as she entered the studio.

"Every journalist that strings together words about music is talking up your performance last night. That's the other definition of a rave."

"I couldn't have done it without you," Sweetie said, suddenly realizing she had no proper way to thank Vinyl.

"You did do it without me," Vinyl said with a grin. "Everything's all about that encore, nothing about the SB/PON-3 record." On noting Sweetie's fallen face, she quickly added: "Hey, I don't need the recognition. I've been on more underground bootlegs than I can count."

"Still. I want to thank you for putting that out."

"Hey, Lyra was the one who pushed for it. You thank her."

Sweetie had, and likely would again. Living with Lyra Heartstrings was occasionally frustrating, but she meant well and was incredibly endearing while doing so. Most of the time.

"So Sweetie," Vinyl said from behind the mixing board, "are you ready to lay the first track down?"

Sweetie positioned herself behind the microphone in the recording booth. "Sure am."

She slip the headphones on over her ears.

"Gimme a beat."

Author's Note:

Pearl, by the way, is a Paula Cole song, and I loves me some Paula Cole. She's like an understandable Tori Amos.

Comments ( 13 )

Great story, the chapters were a little short but other then that pretty good. five moustaches :moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:

3975762
They're not really meant to be full chapters, per se, I just wanted to do something structurally different to the single scene (+ coda) stories I've been writing for the WTG. There's a bunch of recurring patterns in them that wouldn't have been as obvious if the whole thing was just a single chapter. But glad you liked it otherwise!

3975819 I added this to the sweetie belle group.:moustache:

That was actually really enjoyable. I would've liked to hear those songs. Well done sir. :pinkiehappy:

This was great, though it could have been a little longer.

3986188
My original idea for this story was much larger -- there was a much larger set of characters in the underground music scene, and a manufactured rivalry with a boy band -- but was put on the back burner for being a bit too ambitious to write for someone who knows basically nothing of what it's like to be a musician. The same basic beats -- be true to yourself, mainstream music blows -- made it into this version, and I think there's something to getting to an idea without belabouring the point.

I have to say, I really love this story. It's the first time I read a MLP: FiM fanfiction with Sweetie Belle that has started a successful music carreer and I love her see in this setting!
It was also interesting to get this look in the Canterlot music scene.
And you have a very vivid style of writing, reading your fanfiction gives you really a vibe for the lifestyle there!
Continue writing, there is much talent!

Dang. This was good. I might just follow you....






:moustache:
>follows<

Mh... I'm meh about this one. The message is a good one, but the plot is entirely predictable, and doesn't really have anything that made me glad that I read it.

Beautifully done. Bravo.

Login or register to comment