• Published 8th Feb 2014
  • 1,613 Views, 9 Comments

Worth Something - DashiesFavoriteHuman



Applejack can't save her dying crops and is beginning to feel worthless, can Rainbow Dash convince her differently?

  • ...
15
 9
 1,613

The Truth That Lies

As Applejack lay under Rainbow Dash’s wing. she couldn’t help but think of her friends’ reactions, what would they think of me?, she asked herself, the thought of them thinking less of her if she told them coming to mind, she couldn’t, at least not yet, not now, not until she’s ready. She shook the thoughts from her head and snuggled closer to Rainbow Dash, the only sounds she heard, or at least cared about, were the sounds of their breathing and Rainbow Dash’s steady heartbeat.

Applejack pressed her ears to Rainbow Dash’s body, her heartbeats wer so beautiful, so soothing, so captivating, all she wanted to do was listen, drown out the outside world, this was her paradise this was where she belonged.

“Applejack”, Rainbow Dash’s voice interrupted the the soft beating, “are you ok?”

Applejack closed her eyes, “ah am now”, she answered softly, “thank you”

Rainbow Dash smiled and tightened wing around her friend, she said nothing, what would she say? Nothing could be said, for now she was just living in the moment, nothing else mattered, nothing else, except for Applejack.

“I wonder if she’s ok”, Twilightl Sparkle said looking up toward her room, “she seemed pretty upset.”

Rarity walked over by Twilight and looked up as well, “I hope so, I hate to see her like this.”

“Me too”, Fluttershy agreed, “it’s not like her to get that way.”

Just then the door opened and Applejack walked out followed by Rainbow Dash. Applejack stopped Rainbow Dash, “could ya...ya know...keep this between us...at least for now?” she asked.

“Yeah”, Rainbow Dash agreed, “I won’t say anything, not until you’re ready.”

“Thank you”, Applejack hugged Rainbow Dash and headed downstairs to meet the other ponies who were now gathered around the stair waiting for them.

“Are you ok, Applejack?”, Twilight asked going to her friend, “I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable, I was just worried about you, and well, I’m sorry.”

“Ah’m alright, now”, Applejack answered glancing at Rainbow Dash who returned the glance, “but Ah’m pretty tired...Ah think Ah’ll head on home.”

“Aw...but we didn’t even play any games”, Pinkie Pie complained.

“It is getting kind of late...and I do have a busy day tomorrow”, Twilight looked at the now setting sun, “I’m sorry, Pinkie, maybe we can have an after-birthday party tomorrow.”

“Ok!”, Pinkie agreed excitedly, hopping out the door, “I’ll see you tomorrow!”

“Pinkie I--”, Twilight started but Pinkie darted out before she could respond, “--said maybe.”

“Goodnight, Twilight”, Applejack told her while leaving after Pinkie Pie, “happy birthday.”

Applejack finally got back to her home passing the field on the way slowing down slightly to look at the dry plants that were now overtaken by the weeds. She sighed and hung her head continuing on her way.

She opened the door to her house, “Ah’m home”, she called, “and Ah’m goin ta bed.” She trudged up to her room and crawled into bed and layed her head down. She closed her eyes, the thoughts of her day ran through her head as a tear fell.

Applejack woke up to the sun in here eyes, she squinted as she raised her head from her pillow and looked outside. She got out of bed and walked down to the kitchen to find Rainbow Dash sitting at the table with a glass of milk and an empty plate in front of her, “hey Rainbow Dash, what are you doin here?”, she asked sitting down across from her.

"Well", Rainbow Dash started, "I thought today we could hang out, just you and me", she explained pushing the empty plate away.

"Ah...well...", Applejack thought for a moment, "Ah guess we could", she stood up and pulled her hat off of the hat rack and put in on.

"Great let's go", Rainbow Dash stood up and followed her outside.

They walked silently, kicking any stray pebble or rock they crossed, the occasional sigh breaking the silence.

"So what's the real reason?", Rainbow Dash spoke up.

"Huh?", Applejack looked over at her, "the reason for what?"

"The reason why you've been acting this way", Rainbow Dash went on.

"Well Ah told y'all it's them weed--"

"It's not the weeds", Rainbow Dash interrupted and stopped walking, "you'd never act this way over a bunch of weeds...what's the real reason?"

"Ah...Ah can't say", Applejack said starting to trudge on further but was stopped again by Dash.

"Tell me", Rainbow told her, now a little more forceful.

"Ah just can't--"

"Tell me!"

Tears built up in Applejack's eyes, "Ah...Ah miss 'em!"

Rainbow Dash's heart sank at her friend's words, "wh-what? Who?"

Applejack began to sob as her tears fell to the ground, "my Ma and Pa!"

"Applejack..."

"That's why I've been so upset, Ah can't help but think of 'em when Ah look at those...weeds..."

"But why do weeds remind you of your parents?", Rainbow Dash asked stepping closer.

"Because the year that they died we had a weed infestation just like this one", she explained, "and Ma and Pa were the only ones who knew what to do."

Rainbow Dash looked at Applejack almost surprised, "Applejack...I didn't know...why didn't you just tell us that?"

"Because...Ah..." Applejack paused hesitantly, afraid to tell Rainbow Dash the truth.

"Go on" Rainbow Dash said, walking closer to Applejack, her head tilted in curiosity, "just say it."

"Because...Ah didn't want you to worry about me."

"Why not?", Rainbow Dash asked, her concern growing.

"Because...Ah...I love you."