• ...
2
 9
 939

Carentan pt 1

June 8, 1944
Operation Overlord Day-2
Outskirts of Carentan
Time 5:02 am

Thud

I scrambled from my slumber to react to the noise that I just heard. Looking around and seeing nothing but the two sleeping mares that I rescued after the drop. I relaxed a bit, but only a bit, to seeing that nothing was around. I quickly glanced outside and still saw nothing but the dark countryside and wrecked city buildings that was called Carentan.

Just relax. I said to myself, Your getting too jumpy, and besides, who would be walking about at this time in the morning.

Returning to the center of the room, I resumed my guard shift that I dozed off from earlier. But the fatigue from walking nonstop and fighting for the past two days really took a lot out of me. Unable to stay awake, I soon felt myself drift back to sleep, dreaming of times before this war even began.


2 hours later

I was woken up by a rumbling outside of the house that I was sleeping in, instantly grabbing my rifle and aiming it at the source of the noise. I then woke up Twilight and Rarity as they were still asleep through the commotion. Grabbing their equipment we made our way over to a window that had its glass broken off and some debris covering the majority of the it. I told them to watch my back as I peered my head slightly into the open to see what was going on. As soon as I did though I immediately regretted doing so.

Outside of the house was what appeared to be a convoy of Germane infantry consisting of what looked like halftracks and armored cars. I also saw about a regiment of enemy infantry walking along side it, looking around to see any signs of threats. My heart immediately fell into my stomach. I realized that we had stumbled and slept in a Germane occupied town. Of all the rotten luck! We had to come to a town that was filled with Germanes waiting to kill us. I thought to myself. I thought about what the Germanes were going to do to us when they found us until Twilight tapped me on the shoulder.

" Hey sir, whats going on out there?" she asked me.

Holding my head from the predicament that all of us were in I told both of them about what was going on outside and that we stumbled into a Germane occupied town with no hopes of escape. Both of there jaws were hung open in shock about what I had just told them. At that moment Twilight started to freak out and began to hyperventilate into her hooves.

" Oh sweet Celestia, how are we going to get out of this?! Were... were going to die here not knowing if any of our friends are okay or not! Well be unknown on HOW we got killed and then everyone's going to forget about us! Do you hear me? WERE ALL GOING TO DI...!"

Rarity and I quickly pulled her down and I put my hoof over her mouth, trying to make her be quiet. All I hoped for is that the loud rumbling of the engines outside would have muffled her panicky outburst and no pony would be sent to look for the yelling.

Suddenly we heard the noise of a door opening downstairs. I knew that those soldiers were going to walk up here and see us and possibly shoot us on site. Looking around and seeing no way to escape, I quietly told the girls to not move and be silent. They both nodded, understanding what I said. They moved as quietly as possible to nearby pile of house debris that was part of what looked like the roof. I myself moved over to the darkest corner of the room and curled into a ball to show the least amount of me possible. Hearing the sound of hoofsteps and doors being opened I knew it was only a matter of time before those Germanes came into our room and find us.

Upon seeing our door being opened I shifted myself into an even smaller position in the corner and began to pray to Celestia to have mercy on us. I raised my rifle at the door in case he came too close.

But then the sound of the door opening suddenly stopped. My heart was pounding and I was sweating like a pig. I looked up and saw that the door was only halfway opened, Wondering why they didn't come inside. I then heard what sounded to be Germane coming from downstairs.

"Sind sie dort noch?" Are you done up there yet? I heard the one downstairs ask.

"Noch nicht, nicht jetzt." Not yet. He replied.

"Dann kommen wir nicht wollen, sich verspaten." Come down then, we don't want to be late. The one downstairs said.

"Fur das, was?" For what? He asked again.

"Nehmen sie sich einfach hier unten." Just get down here. The Germane answered.

"In the coming." I'm coming. He said.

I then saw the door close and the sound of hoof walking out of the house. After ten minutes I didn't hear the sound of hoofs or the noise of engines outside. Slowly I crept out from the shadows and found Twilight and Rarity still hiding amongst the debris from the roof. I told them it was safe to come out and that nopony else was near. After they crawled out from their hiding place Rarity began to thank me for warning them what was happening. As we were talking though I noticed out of the corner of my eye that Twilight was walking toward the farthest corner of the room. Seeing this I told Rarity to keep an eye out on the street in case more Germanes came by. With a simple nod, she grabbed her rifle and made her way over to the window, keeping a watchful eye on the street below.


Walking over to Twi I can see that she was crying. Tears were coming down her face as she sobbed into her uniform, trying to forget about the event that had just happened. I couldn't see her like this, knowing that every day on the battlefield you always have a chance of meeting certain death like the one we all just had. Having a heart I went over to her to try to comfort her on what happened. Hearing me walking in her direction she tried to stop crying, and upon reaching her she began to talk to me in a still sobbed filled voice.

" A-a--a-are y-you m-mad at m-me sarge?" she asked me, still trying to stop herself from crying.

"Why would I be mad at you Twi?" I asked her back.

"B-b-because, its m-my f-fault that those G-germanes c-came into the h-house to search f-for us." she said with tears in her eyes.

I gave out a sigh. Seeing somepony like this on a battlefield only strengthened the fact that they weren't meant to fight on the front lines. Either that or they are just scared shitless. For her, I'll probably go with my second guess.

As she continued to stop herself from crying in front of me I put my hoof on her shoulder to try to comfort her that everything was okay.

" Relax Twi, there not here right now. Just try to relax and get some more sleep, this experience looked like it took a lot out of you." I said in a reassuring matter.

" But s-sir..." she started before I cut her off.

" No buts Twilight, I mean it. Its not your fault that those two Germanes came in here trying to look for us."

" It kind of is." said a voice that I was not familiar with.

I turned around and saw myself nose-to-nose with a cyan colored pegasus. She had what looked like a rainbow colored mane and wore a standard parapony outfit. Seeing the tag on her uniform I could make out her name and rank.

Cpl Rainbow Dash 502nd 101st Airborne Div.

Comments ( 2 )

Well, this is creepy. I have a story that involved all the Mane Six and Spike in the 101st Airborne Division and they fought in a similar experience like your story but the way I see it, it seem like my have more combat or not. I don`t know. If you like the 101st please tell me and we`ll talk about it.

MCA

Awesome story for now. The places are described with great detail, but I think you should slow down the pace a little bit. The main protagonist just going there and killing an entire AA gun crew is just too fast and not detailed enough, but your writing style is just fine. +1

And whike we're at alternate WW2 pony stories, could you help review mine? (http://www.fimfiction.net/story/256918/the-30th-tiger)

Login or register to comment