• Published 21st Feb 2014
  • 1,622 Views, 168 Comments

In Which SPark Attempts to be Slightly Less Verbose. - SPark



Aka. stuff I have written for the 30 minute pony story prompts, minific events, collab projects, etc.

  • ...
10
 168
 1,622

Confetti

"Goggles?" called out Pinkie cheerfully.

"Check," said Sweetcake, feeling a bit dubious.

"Ear plugs?"

Sweetcake put the plugs in and replied silently through the bond that he and Pinkie shared. Check.

Barrier?

Sweetcake poked the table in front of him, tipped on its side. Check.

Woo! Time for ka-boom! Pinkie bounced in the middle of the basement of Sugarcube Corner, which was currently only half filled with supplies, the open end forming her impromptu testing ground. She dropped a brightly-wrapped sphere into her party canon, lit the fuse, and dove to join Sweetcake behind the table.

Despite the ear plugs, they could just hear the hissing as the fuse burnt down. That was followed by a moment of tense silence, and then a tiny, pathetic "pop" from the center of the room. It was barely audible at all. Pinkie removed her ear plugs, raised her goggles, and peered over the table. "Ah dang. Not enough confetti, I think."

"Uh, okay," said Sweetcake as he took off his own safety gear. He wasn’t even going to ask why lack of confetti would make the bizarre explosive not blow up. Shouldn’t something else be involved? That was the kind of question, though, where asking Pinkie wouldn’t actually result in any less confusion. It was likely to result in more, in fact. So he stayed silent while Pinkie prepared another charge.

Eventually she had another brightly wrapped package ready to load. "Okay! Goggles still check?" she asked.

Sweetcake thought repeating the checklist seemed a bit obsessive, but he gamely went along with it. "Check."

"Earplugs?"

Check.

Barrier

Still check.

Awesome. Package is ready, prepare for ka-boom! Hopefully lots of ka-boom, I put in like... ten times the confetti! Pinke giggled happily and once more loaded and lit the canon, then dove for cover.

This time the blast rattled the table, sent a cloud of loose flour and sugar dust into the air, and tipped over several piles of supplies on the far side of the room. Sweetcake had actually felt the shock wave. When he peered over the table along with Pinkie Pie, they saw the canon looking blackened and somewhat the worse for wear, and confetti was stuck to every visible surface in the room. Sweetcake gaped at the destruction, very glad that Pinkie had insisted on the safety checklist after all.

"Whee! That was amazing! But I guess I should use a little less confetti next time."

Author's Note:

Written for the follow-up PRETTY PONY PRINCESS Extravaganza. (The first of four stories, though only three will be posted here.)

Prompt was "Pinkie Pie tries to figure out the optimum mixture for her party cannon fireworks." from MikhailWilson