• Published 15th Jan 2014
  • 2,073 Views, 25 Comments

Ghost - Saacsa



Twilight Sparkle has died and must watch her friends tear their lives apart without her.

  • ...
17
 25
 2,073

Generousity's Last Day

They reappeared in the Carousel Boutique, surrounded by Ponnequins laden in purple, their tags depicting a six pointed, hot pink star.

“My cutie mark?” Twilight questioned, examining the star. “No… There should be five stars around it… One for each of… My… Friends…” She trailed off, finally putting two and two together. “Oh Celestia, what happened?” She asked rhetorically.

"What’s this?” Rarity’s voice came from farther in the boutique. It was worn and tense, but undoubtedly the regal mares. Twilight moved through the cluttered ponnequins to find Rarity reading a small letter. Her mane was disheveled, something that shocked the purple mare greatly, but a spark was in Rarity’s eyes. A spark Twilight knew that ignited the white Unicorns’ inner artist.

“Oh, this is wonderful! This is the only good news I’ve received in quite some time! I must begin immediately.” She exclaimed and bolted into another room, letting the letter fall from her magical grasp. Twilight immediately rushed forward and read the letter.

Dear Miss Rarity,

I, Golden Touch, require your assistance on the newest line I am creating. You’re renown for your recent accomplishments with purple due to the unfortunate event in which Twilight Sparkle was murdered. I am truly sorry for your loss. On a brighter note, I would like for you to create my summer line. I look forward to your results.

Sincerely

Golden Touch

Twilight smiled, happy for her friend finally getting back in the game.

“What’s got you so happy?” Death asked.

“Just happy that Rarity’s back on the old horse.” Twilight said.

“That was a horrible pun, ya know.” The stallion rolled his eyes.

“Shut up.” Twilight laughed, for once not ignoring Death’s quips. The lavender mare then walked to where Rarity was working, finding her stitching diligently on a light, semi-revealing fabric. Though, after a moment of strict work, the Unicorn would fall distant. Rarity was soon stitching together and designing fabrics without even looking at them.

“Oh Twilight… If you can hear me, we all miss you dearly. You’d be glad to know that I’ve gotten back in the game, so to speak.” She said sadly, causing Twilight to reach out for her friend. “But I fear for our friends, they won’t even look at each other. At least, Applejack won't even acknowledge Rainbow Dash’s existence and Pinkie won’t come out of her room. Fluttershy has been frequenting the Everfree, which is worrying in itself, and Rainbow can’t keep a bottle away from her lips for more than two seconds… I honestly worry for all of them, fearing that only I can make it through this tragedy with my mind and even life… I know you can’t hear me, but it just feels good to get this off of my chest.” Rarity sighed, causing a very emotional rise in Twilight. By the end of Rarity’s monologue, the lavender mare was crying lightly. But what went unnoticed by everypony but Death, was one tiny stitch that had been misplaced by a cruel act of fate. As soon as Rarity was finished with that dress, which she labeled the tag, “For the fabulous Golden Touch! Do not touch!”, she began on the rest of the dresses. She worked diligently on them, but every so often, she seemed to drift away from her work. She got a faraway look in her eyes, doing her dresses as more of a chore to a playful filly than her dream. When she was finished with the line, she absolutely beamed at her work.

“You said you’d watch me wither, but look, my friend is doing just fine without me.” Twilight pointed out brightly. Death answered with a mirthless chuckle, inciting the ghostly mare to frown. “What?” She asked.

“Spoilers, sweetie. Now, let’s watch.” He remarked. A small bell chimed in the front of the shop, causing Rarity to run to greet the pony.

“How may I help… Oh. Hello, Applejack.” Rarity’s voice changed to one of tolerance rather than joy. Twilight ran forward to the lobby of the shop at the mention of her other friend. An orange mare with multiple burn marks and scars greeted her instead. Applejack’s signature stetson was frayed in multiple places and even had holes in it. The orange mare strode confidently up to the counter, sporting a bulging saddle bag as a spark of hatred burning in her cold, calculating eyes.

“Rarity. Ah know Ah ain’t got to right showin’ mah face here after what happened at tha funeral, but Ah really need a favor from ya.” Applejack’s voice was weary, despite her lively eyes.

“She’s a tough cookie, that one,” Death commented, “She’s left quite a mess for my boys.”

“Applejack’s murdered?!” Twilight questioned fearfully. Death just nodded.

“For revenge.” He said simply

“You’re right.” Rarity said, snapping them back to the conversation at hoof. The white mare softened her gaze, “But I can not simply turn away an old friend like that… What do you need?” She asked.

“A flame retardant, hard leather armor that I can easily hide with. Make it black.” Applejack said, causing Rarity to sigh.

“Unfortunately, I do not have any animal skins on hoof.” She responded, some venom invading two certain words.

“Fortunately, Ah do.” Applejack said and reached into her saddle bag, throwing a large sack of already made leather onto the counter and relieving the bag of it’s load. Rarity blanched when she saw it, but quickly recovered.

“You know I do not approve of your crusade.” Rarity pointed out.

“Ah know, but Ah’ve gotta do this, for Twilight. Help me or not, it’s your choice. Ah just think Ah’ll be safer in armor designed by you.” Applejack said, giving Rarity a moment of silence.

“Remind you of somepony?” Death asked, causing Twilight to flash him an annoyed glare.

“Darling… Please just let the guard handle this and-”

“Consarn it, Rarity! Tha guard cain’t do nothin’! It’s been at least three months since the funeral and they’re still more clueless than a calf!” Applejack exclaimed, causing Rarity to sigh again.

“Fine. I’ll make your armor, but after this all blows over, I want our friends back together. You’re the only one that can hold us together like Twilight.” Rarity said firmly.

“A course, Rare, thank ya.” Applejack beamed. The both walked into the back, being followed by the two astreal beings

“So, how are we three months forward in time?” Twilight asked. Death glared down at her again.

“Again with wanting an explanation.” He grumbled.

“Well I’m dead, like it or not, you’re Death. And you’re stuck with me until I decide it’s time to go.” Twilight firmly stated, causing Death to smile lightly.

“Clever mare. In death, time doesn’t matter. What are seconds here can be millennia in the real word, and vice versa. I am simply going to a specific changing point in each of your friends lives and showing you what you asked to see.” He said.

“That’s fantastic!” Twilight exclaimed.

“Indeed.”

“So Rare, how’ve things been since tha funeral?” Applejack asked sheepishly, snapping Twilight and Death back to the land of the living.

“Since you asked, horrible!” Rarity snapped, “You’ve been off doing Celestia knows what-”

“No she doesn’t-”

“While our friends tear themselves apart! Rainbow won't stop drinking, Fluttershy hasn’t been in town because she’s too busy in the Everfree, Pinkie Pie won’t even leave her room, and I’m the only one with a sane or coherent hair on my coat!” Rarity exploded, causing Applejack’s face to harden.

“And this is all mah fault? Ah don’t think so. I cain’t choose what everypony does.” She said.

“But you can choose what you do, and leaving your friends behind for some mad quest derived from hatred is not a good choice!” Rarity exclaimed, then took a deep breath, calming down but letting her eyes remain fiery.

“Ya know, comin’ here was a bad idea. Ah’m leavin’, take care of yourself, Rare.” Applejack walked from the room, leaving a fuming Rarity behind.

“Hey, purple flank, scootch ya bootch. There’s nothing left to see that’s important in this time.” Death said, motioning Twilight towards him.

“Bu-”

“We’re still going to watch the white bitch, just in a different time.” he rolled his eyes. Twilight glared up at him, sending a message that even delivered chills down the spine of Death himself.

“My friend is not a bitch.” A deadly octave crept into her voice, but Death kept his cool.

“Alright, sure, whatever. Let’s just get going.” He said dully, bringing out his staff.

“Not until you apologize!” She harrumphed.

“Now, there are many things that I’ve got to do for you, but apologizing is not one of them.” He said and slammed his staff against the ground. They reappeared in the seats of some large event. It looked like the Apollony Theater, but Twilight was not sure. Seats lined the auditorium, all filled with pompous and quiet ponies. A few royals lined the top of the place in their VIP watch boxes, looking down upon a great catwalk. Twilight looked around her, finding Rarity sitting beside her and Death on the other side of the purple mare.

“Oh, Twilight. If you could see me now, you’d be proud.” Rarity sighed, a sad smiled etched into her features.

“Where are we?” Twilight asked, her previous hate erased by curiosity.

“Your friends prized little fashion show you red about.” Death answered.

“Good, now we’ll see Rarity live her dream.” She said definitely. Death’s mirthless chuckle did not make her feel so confident in her words.

“Fillies and gentlecolts,” A quiet, posh voice came over the crowds soft chatting, “If you would please, direct your attention to the catwalk for Golden Touch’s models outfitted in Miss Rarity’s new summer line!” Soon, the models began to file out, each one displaying some gorgeous purple themed clothing. Finally, a yellow mare with a striking orange mane began out. She wore a light, purple veil over her front half, connected by an X over and under her body to a more thick part covering her flanks and nether region. The stunning mare walked the catwalk like she owned it, displaying every part of the beach clothing. When she reached the microphone at the end of the platform, she took it and began to speak.

“This summer line is not mine, therefore you should not cheer for me, but for the mare that made all of this possible!” Golden Touch exclaimed.

“And thus, it all falls apart.” Death commented cryptically. Golden Touch flourished in gesture towards Rarity, but mid-flourish, that fateful misstitch ripped. Rarity’s beautiful design, much like her entire world, came crashing down before her eyes and exposed one of the most influential ponies of fashion in Equestria to the world. The entire auditorium froze. Twilight could’ve heard a pin drop amongst the deafening silence. That is, before Rarity booked it for the door. The scene melted away as a small clunk echoed behind Twilight. When it faded back in, they were beside Rarity again, who was breathing rather frantically.

“Oh dear Celestia, what have I done…” The white mare muttered, visibly still in shock.

“Is she going to be alright?” Twilight asked worriedly.

“I’d tell you to ask her, but…” Death laughed.

“It’s not funny.” Twilight scowled.

“Tell you what, I’m in a shitty mood because some little purple bitch decided to give me a hard time. So I’m going to try and lighten my mood with a few jokes.” He replied, causing Twilight to grind her teeth together in frustration. The rest of the trip was spent in mostly silence, save for Rarity’s panicked mutterings. They arrived at the Ponyville train station, when Rarity’s shock finally set in steadily, and walked numbly to the Carousel Boutique in the starry night. Rarity walked through the doors, slamming them shut with her back hooves as she broke down, sobbing for everything she was worth.

“Rarity?” Sweetie Belle’s voice rang from up the stairs tiredly, causing the purple maned mare to stifle her crying rather abruptly.

“Sw-Sweetie Belle! Oh i-it’s much too late for you to be up. You simply must get back to bed.” Rarity exclaimed, trying to cover up her sadness with concern.

“What’s wrong?” Sweetie asked, bounding down the stairs to comfort her sister.

“N-Nothing!” Rarity said, feigning surprise, “Why do you think something is wrong?” Sweetie Belle raised an eyebrow in skepticism.

“Um, you were crying?” Rarity opened her mouth to formulate a rebuttal, but stopped. She had been crying. Something was wrong, she just couldn’t admit it at first, but there was no way to hide it anymore. No point in it.

“Oh Sweetie…” She said softly before collapsing again, this time closer to her sister. As she bawled, Sweetie Belle hugged Rarity tightly, in an attempt to comfort the adult Unicorn. She was rewarded with more tears and a desperate Rarity, who clung to her little sister.

“Rarity, what’s going on?” Sweetie asked after Rarity had calmed enough for coherent speech. The white mare slowly spoke, her voice hoarse and grating.

“Sweetie Belle… I fear I have made a mistake, and a rather grave one at that.” Rarity paused, giving Sweetie a chance to interrupt.

“What’s going on?”

“Darling, tomorrow you’re going home-”

“Why-?”

“And early too. So go pack your things-”

“Rarity-”

“And get some sleep. You’ll need it for the trip to-”

“Rarity!” Sweetie finally exclaimed, garnering the older sisters attention from her frantic worries. Sweetie Belle took a deep breath and spoke again, this time, more slowly. “Slow it down and tell me what’s happened.” Rarity looked up at her sister and sighed.

“I messed up… I let my grief get the better of me, and now,” She grimaced, “It’s my problem to deal with. I do not want you to get caught up in it. Sweetie, go pack. You’re catching the first train to Manehattan in the morning.” Rarity said, being considerably more calm and controlled. The younger sister frowned, but complied regardlessly. When the little, white hooves finally made it back up the stars, Rarity shakily sighed and struggled to her own, swaying lightly. She took a deep breath and bathed in the silence of her home, drowning out her worries. As she breathed out, all hell broke loose. A window shattered and caught the attention of the ponies, astreal and not. From the glass, a flare slammed onto the ground and erupted outward in fire. They all stood in shock, save for Death, as more and more molotov’s rained over the shop. The destructive element spread quickly across the fabric and wood, filling the fashionista’s nostrils with smoke. Finally jumping into action, Rarity lept over the gaping maw of fire and bounded up the stairs.

“Rarity! What’s *cough cough* happening?!” Sweetie Belle called through the haze. Rarity was too focused on getting her little sister to safety to hear the words and raced down the already flaming hall. There was a large crack and a red hot beam fell diagonally in her path, causing her to grind to an abrupt halt. She narrowed her eyes and snorted at the offending beam, beginning to wiggle her way under it. Several embers rained onto her previously pristine pelt, scorching and staining it. When she rolled from under the beam, it creaked one last time and gave way, along with half of the hall. Rarity sighed in relief and shot down the remainder of the hall. She found Sweetie Belle coughing and scooped her up, flinging the filly onto the older mares back. Rarity turned on her hoof and barreled back down the hall, stopping where the beam had fallen through.

Her eyes stung, her coat burned, her nose ran, she was miserable. But she did not have time to think on her sorrow when her little sister was in such danger. Thinking quickly, she used her magic to teleport into the main room and bolted for the door. She used her magic to throw the door open and ran through it. Unfortunately, she heard a crack halfway out. She widened her eyes and slammed her front hooves down and her rear end up, successfully dislodging Sweetie and tossing her into the street. Rarity had but a moment to look up and smile at her fearful little sister weakly before the door frame completely collapsed, trapping the Unicorn halfway under it.

“Rarity!” Sweetie Belle cried, dashing towards her half crushed sister. Rarity forced her eyes open through the tremendous amount of pain and tried to speak, but only blood and coughs came from her throat.

“Sweetie…” Rarity finally struggled out, “I… I… I love you…” She breathed, drifting from consciousness one final time.

“NO!” Twilight finally broke her reverie of shock.

“Yes.” Death replied with hollow eyes watching the filly before them weep as more ponies arrived at the scene to put out the fire, but too late to save the element of generosity. The scene slowly faded away to the chamber where it all began.

“Wh-Where am I?” Rarity’s confused voice rang out, “What’s going on?” Twilight numbly walked up behind the white mare, setting a hoof on her shoulder. Twilight’s heart sank when the hoof stayed instead of falling through. Rarity whipped around to look at her deceased friend and smiled widely, tackling Twilight with a gleeful hug.

“Oh Twilight! I’m so happy to see you!” Rarity exclaimed, but slowly furrowed her brow. “But… You’re dead…”

“Yes, I am…” Twilight nodded pitifully.

“But… Does that mean..? Oh Celestia!” Rarity shouted, finally grasping the gravity of the situation. Death seemed to have made himself scarce for the moment, yet, he was ever apparent in the white abyss.

“Yes… I’m sorry, Rarity…” Twilight hung her head.

“Well… I suppose it was my time.” Rarity held a small, painful smile, “Do you know how I… You know?” The white mare asked. Twilight opened her mouth, but Death cut her off with his reappearance.

“In case you have forgotten, that’s my job.” Death said as he strode up to the wide eyed Rarity.

“What in Equestria-?”

“Technically, Stalliongrad.” He touched his horn to hers and her eyes widened further as images rolled down them. The spectacle lasted a total of five seconds before Death pulled away and left Rarity panting slightly with a single tear running down her cheek.

“Oh my…” She said after a moment, “Is… Is Sweetie Belle going to be alright?” Rarity asked worriedly.

“For the most part. A few burns, but she’ll go through years of foalhood therapy.” Death said, inciting a faint smile from Rarity.

“Good.”

“Rarity…” Twilight stepped in.

“Yes, darling?”

“I’m sorry.”

“Whatever for?” Twilight’s hung head looked up with tear filled eyes.

“Leaving you all alone. This… This is all my fault,” Tears began to fall, “All of it… I should have been stronger! I should have-!”

“Twilight!” Rarity scolded, “You can hardly blame yourself for being murdered. It’s a terrible world and some of the ponies are just as bad. Golden Touch was a poor choice for me to make, knowing her criminal background, but I did so regardlessly. Look where that has gotten me. That was my fault. You couldn’t have stopped what happened to you, so it was not your fault.” Rarity said, reaching forward and pulling Twilight into a hug. Twilight returned the hug, drying her face on Rarity’s fur.

“Thank you…” Twilight muttered gratefully.

“Oh bother!” Death interrupted, “As much as I don’t want to ruin the moment, and trust me, I really do, it’s time.”

“For?” Rarity asked. Before Death could answer, Twilight did.

“Rarity wait! I’m traveling with Death here, only to see my friends and hopefully get some closure. If you want to tag along…” Twilight offered, much to Death’s disdain. “He can’t take you unless you’re willing.” The purple mare quickly added at Rarity’s furtive glance at death.

“Before you decide, know that I’ve seen so many fall. Powerful ponies succumb to the dark insanity of watching their friends die or ruin their own lives. Ponies much more powerful than you.” Death said morbidly. Rarity was silent for a moment, contemplating the severity to the situation with an unsure look in her eyes. Finally, shook took a deep breath and looked towards Twilight.

“I’m sorry, darling,” Twilight’s face fell, “But I’ve overstayed my welcome as it is. I have nothing left for me here, and would prefer to keep my sanity.” Rarity said.

“Finally! Somepony with a little sense!” Death exclaimed and used his scythe to rip a hole into the abyss. It stretched to the size of a portal and he moved beside it.

“Well,” Rarity said, walking close to Twilight, “It's my time to go. Goodbye, old friend.” The white mare smiled weakly and pulled Twilight into a hug, which was quickly returned.

“Goodby, Rarity.” Twilight said quietly.

“Good luck.”

“Thank you.”

“Anyday!” Death rudely interrupted, getting a sigh of irritation from Rarity.

“You are doing a good thing, Twilight. If another of our friends dies, greet them here and send them off to me.” She smiled and turned around, “Also, teach that brute some manners.” She jerked her head at Death and then made her way towards the new portal.

“Thank you, Rarity.” Twilight whispered as the white Unicorn strode through the portal confidently.

Author's Note:

Got another chapter up and running! Like and favorite, if you please, and comment if I missed something or you want an explanation on what happened. If it doesn't spoil anything, I'll explain. Thank you for reading, and, as always, Stay Brony, my friends.

Comments ( 10 )

:ajbemused: I'm not surprised again. What the heck is wrong with Applejack?!

4140461 One of her best friends was murdered and she took it the worst way possible. All of them did, and that's what this story was based on. The different ponies reactions and fates to what happens when shit hits the fan and they take it in the worst way possible

nooo she died that stinks and i can only guess that it gets worse as time goes on but will the fire be explained? who threw the molotovs

4140603 Remember how she said Golden Touch had a criminal background? Well, she just pissed Golden Touch off. The molotov's were her doing.

4140572 Oh. Anything else?

4179124 Nothing that I can think of

I'm seriously seething with anger right now I want to rip applejack apart and force feed her to death (the pony) and rip him apart and send it to space where I hope will burn before it leaves the atmosphere

God, I'm crying so hard right now. :raritycry::fluttercry:

4753073 Twas the intended purpose :trollestia:

Login or register to comment