• Published 19th Mar 2012
  • 1,064 Views, 25 Comments

Legendary - RoflNom



When a pony gets the chance to save Equestria, what will he do? Can the ordinary become Legendary?

  • ...
1
 25
 1,064

Chapter 4

It had already been two days since the 5th Royal Infantry began marching from the outskirts of Fillydelphia to Canterlot. The army had made good time, with only about a day left to march. The fact that they had a God in their ranks made the soldiers' morale swell and they were enthusiastic about practically everything.

I marched alongside General Arch and his Major, SwiftWing. We talked for most of the march, planning in case there was a Dragon army heading for the capitol. In the time we took breaks from planning, we talked about the things soldiers talk about.

Both Arch and SwiftWing had families back in the small town of Manehatten. Arch had a wife and a son, who he hoped wouldn't be affected by the war. SwiftWing had a marefriend waiting for him, and from the stories he's told us, she's been waiting for while now.

I stayed quiet for the most part, not wanting to reveal anything to the Major. Only me and Arch could know anything, mainly because we didn't know if there would be any dangers with having Legend around. I mean, who knows, there could be someone out there in the world who still remembers Legend.

Though I did tell some stories that I made up, just to make myself seem less unapproachable. I can't just sit back and not say anything about myself. The strange part was that the stories I told were so clear in my head. One about destroying an invasion force thousands of years ago in a matter of minutes was actually played through my mind as I told it.

I thought about that long and hard. Perhaps I could remember things that happened in Legend's previous lives. Maybe I was just a good story teller. Whatever it may be, I wasn't worried about that the most.

What I was worried about is this new body, and whether or not anypony would welcome me back like this. I mean, I don't resemble my old self at all, not even a little. I left home an Earth pony, but could I come home as an Alicorn? What would my parents, and more importantly, Violet think? Would she still love me as IronTrot, or would she fear me as Legend?

My thoughts were cut short when Arch nudged me gently.

"Excuse me, Legend, but we need to stop to rest for a while. I hope this doesn't bother you." Arch said, trying to seem as he knew nothing about me.

"No, it does not," I said, "I was going to recommend we make camp soon, anyway. Your ponies must be tired, and they've earned some rest."

With an order from their General, the ponies of the 5th Royal Infantry began unpacking the tents and supplies to make a camp. We were setting up in a nice clearing in the shadow of Canterlot's mountain.

'This would be a nice place for a village,' I thought to myself, 'Right between Canterlot and Manehatten. It's fairly close to Cloudsdale, too.'

I set up a tent that was given to me and stepped inside after a last glance outside. It was already dark, with Luna's moon high in the sky. The stars shone with beauty, and the moonlight illuminated the camp.

I laid down on the makeshift bed, closed my eyes, and fell asleep instantly.

______________________________________________________________________________


I opened my eyes to see nothing... again. I groaned and stood up, waiting for something to happen. I looked around until I spotted Death hovering towards me.

Welcome back, IronTrot, how is your new body? Is it to your liking?

"Thank you, Death," I said, showing respect for my 'master', "This body has become very useful. If you don't mind me asking, why am I here? And why is there always nothing here?"

Death looked around the void, Yes, it seems that my home is rather empty. Allow me to change that.

Suddenly the black void changed into a town. It was a very small, peaceful looking place. Though it didn't seem like any town I had seen or heard of, and due the military I traveled and heard a lot.

"Death, where are we?" I asked.

We are in a town that will stand where your army had set up their camp. This town will be home to very important ponies in the far future. I like to check in on them from time to time.

I looked at Death curiously. I guess he could see into the future. Makes sense, knowing when somepony will die makes a job like his much easier.

Back to my bringing you here, I need to speak to you. And so does somepony else.

With a bright flash, Legend appeared. He towered over me, since here I was still IronTrot. He looked down at me, no emotion in his red eyes.

"Hello, IronTrot. We can finally speak face to face again." He said, with a tone mixed with annoyance and boredom.

"Um," I hesitated. Why, I have no idea. "Hello, Legend. Its good to see you, too."

Enough hellos, you two. We have important things to speak of. I run a very strict schedule, and there are ponies ready to die all over Equestria. Not that it's a good thing.

Both I and Legend shared glance as Death said that. He had become very light-hearted all of a sudden. Also the fact he joked about ponies dying made him seem rather twisted. Still, I'd rather have Death like this than the one portrayed in stories. You know, the 'I'll rip your soul from your body and send it to Hell' one.

IronTrot, you are very close to Canterlot. Meaning you and General Arch will meet with the Princesses very soon, most likely tomorrow. When you speak to them, I will make an appearance. For me to do so, I need you to summon me. Understand?

"Yes," No, I didn't understand. Summon Death? How in Celestia's name was I supposed to do that? Say 'Hey, Death, get your undead hide out here!'?

Death looked over to Legend, I am going to leave you in charge of the Underworld while I'm away. Don't mess this up again, because this your last chance.

Wait, again? A God can mess up? More than once? That settles it, I'm bound to mess up sooner or later. Preferably later.

Legend simply rolled his eyes. "I have no intention of failing again. The first part wasn't even my fault. How was I supposed to know the souls could escape?"

Death glared at him. Or at least I assumed he glared at him. It was hard to tell, since Death always wears that hood.

Right, continuing on... IronTrot, when you meet with the Princesses simply say you're waiting on a guest, then summon me. I'll explain the entire situation to them, only because they haven't trusted any of the other Legends and probably don't plan on starting now.

"Ok, meet the Princesses, summon you, let you do all the talking, or echoing, or whatever it is you do to speak. Got it." I said.

Good. You may leave now or stay, if you please. Simply blink three times and you'll wake up in the morning. I need to go now, theres a rather stubborn old mule who's been evading me for a while.

With that, Death disappeared in a grey cloud of mist. That left me and Legend standing together in the town from the future. There was an awkward silence for a while, and a cough from me only made it worse.

"So, Legend," I started, trying to make a conversation. I really didn't feel like waking up just yet. "Can I ask you a few questions?"

Legend simply looked at me. And looked, and looked. Then he gave me half of a smile.

"Sure, why not. You might as well know a little about me, since you control my body." He said, sounding a bit relieved.

I thought for a second. What did I want to know about Legend? Oh, I know.

"Legend, how old are you exactly? Are you older than the Princesses?" I asked.

"Yes," He said, sitting down. "I am far older than Celestia and Luna. I'm over six thousand years old, from the time when Alicorns were the dominant of the four races of ponykind. Before you ask," He said quickly, knowing my next question. "I rose to Godhood when I was a mere foal, much like the Princesses did themselves. My entire family was wiped out in a political struggle, leaving me shattered and demented. I sought revenge, and Death gave me the chance. He made me what I am today, much like he made you what you are today."

Six thousand years?! Wow, that's a long time to be alive. I hope I never live that long, it could get pretty boring and lonely. How exactly did he spend all those years? I doubt he was let out of the Underworld many times.

"So, Legend, I think its ti-" I started, then being cut off by somepony.

"Oh, hey there! I've never seen you two around here before!" Yelled a completely pink mare, startling us.

"How is this even possible?" Legend asked, "Were not even from this time. She shouldn't be able to see us. I'm leaving before anything else strange happens. I advise you do the same IronTrot."

"Right behind you!" I said, blinking three times.

The town around us dissapeared and everything got a little blurry. I felt extremely tired all of a sudden, and fell to the ground.


______________________________________________________________________________

A/N: I know this chapter isn't as long as the last one, and I apologize. This was meant as more of a light hearted chapter, with a little bit of background information, with a bit of what's to come.