• Published 19th Mar 2012
  • 1,064 Views, 25 Comments

Legendary - RoflNom



When a pony gets the chance to save Equestria, what will he do? Can the ordinary become Legendary?

  • ...
1
 25
 1,064

Chapter 3

I began to ask myself, 'How in Celestia's name did I end up in this situation?'. Then I remembered that I signed up for it. I signed up to see the bared teeth and claws of thousands of Gryphons and Dragons. And don't get me started on the horrified looks from the ponies behind me.

I smirked as I suddenly had an idea. Why not start testing my abilities? Not just my physical ones, but other possible ones, too. I took a death breath, and spoke in the Royal Canterlot Voice.

"Foolish mortals! You dare wage war in my domain, on my kin?!" I boomed, "I shall end your pitiful lives! Feel the wrath of Legend, the God of War and Destruction!"

Yeah, I was hoping that would work. Legend had been around for a long time, so the Voice had to have been known by it. And it could come in handy for scaring the Gryphons and Dragons, rather than fighting them and losing even more ponies.

I tried out my wings, and lifted myself into the air. It was a lot more natural than I would have thought. I hovered for a while, looking down on the battlefield. Blood, bodies, and gore were everywhere. The battle had been spread over what seemed like miles, yet every eye was on me.

"I shall give you one chance! Leave now or I shall wipe your entire army from existence! Have your General come forward!" I continued, trying to think of a plan. I could either make them leave or make an example.

I saw a Gryphon wearing a rather clean uniform fly up in front of me. He was larger than most of the other Gryphons, but he was still dwarfed in comparison to me.

"I am General Twin Feathers," He said, in an almost too calm voice, "I lead the 24th Joint Force Army. Who are you, or better yet, what are you?"

"General Twin Feathers, I am Legend. I am a vassal of Death himself. Your war has awoken me, and my master has ordered its end. By means of pony victory, to be more spec-" Before I could finish, I was cut off.

"ENOUGH! You are no God! You are nothing but an abomination among weak, cowering creatures! You have no place in this world, and so I shall end you myself!" He yelled, charged at me.

As he flew, he picked up enough speed to close the gap between us in a matter of seconds. I hadn't had enough time to react, and he struck me with his talons. Or, at least he would have if they hadn't shattered against my breastplate.

He stumbled back holding his arm, and looked up at me with both anger and fear in his eyes. I took this chance and focused on his body. As I expected, my new horn began to glow along with his body.

"General, I gave you a chance to leave with the lives that remain. Your actions have damned those soldiers behind you, and so you shall be the first to perish!" I yelled.

I wasn't going to enjoy what I was about to do, but sacrifices had to be made to save Equestria. An army this size couldn't just be left running around, especially this close to a major city like Fillydelphia. I focused my magic even more on General Twin Feathers' body.

He began to yell out in pain as I pulled at his body from the inside. As I pulled more and more, he began to bleed from his beak, his ears, and even his eyes. I was disgusted by what I was doing, but I didn't stop. I actually thought it felt good. The sight of blood, the yells of pain, and even more, the fact I knew that his army would have the same fate. This must be the horrors inside of Legend, his blood lust.

"Please, have mercy!" Begged General Twin Feathers, still being pulled apart and bleeding.

That made me angry. He asks for mercy when he never showed any himself. That drove me over the edge, and I lost control. I focused even more and I slowly, but visibly ripped the General in half. I threw him to the ground, making his insides splatter in a heap of blood and gore.

I turned back to the army of Gryphons and Dragons, which was still unmoving. Some had faces of disgust, others hate and horror. I had to take advantage of the situation, so I did.

"This is what happens to those who anger a God!" I yelled, pointing a hoof at the body of the late General Twin Feathers, "Leave now and return to your own kingdoms, or you will have the same fate!"

Then something I didn't really expect happened. The entire army yelled a massive war cry in unison. The Gryphons, and Dragons that could, took to the air around me. The surrounded me, thousands of them. The remaining Dragons charged at the pony army ahead of them.

A single Dragon roared, and the battle once again commenced. The ones in the air charged at me, while the ones on the ground charged at the ponies below. I focused my magic on several Gryphons ahead of me, and threw them to the ground with enough force to kill them. While I did this, a Dragon tackled me from behind and slashed at me.

I bucked him away, but for every one enemy I managed to hit away, another two took his place. It was chaos. The sounds of ponies dying, the Dragons roaring, and the Gryphons screeching. I knew I would be able to do this alone. I had to get the ponies back into the fight.

I focus all my magic on myself, and pushed it out in a massive wave. It knocked many enemy troops back, some even to the ground. I turned to ponies being slaughter behind me.

"Cowards, fight back! A God has come to your aid, and you waste this opportunity! If you do not fight, Fillydelphia will fall! And all of Equestria will follow!" I yelled at the top of my lungs.

And yet nothing happened. The ponies still fight scattered around, dying little by little. I turned to see a Gryphon slam into me, bringing me to the ground. He raised his talons, and brought them down. Before he had a chance to strike me, a blur of gold and white slammed into him.

"Stand, God, and help us win this war." I heard a familiar voice say.

I looked stood and looked to see General Arch standing in front of me. His gold coat and white mane were bloodied and ripped at. His horn was covered in blood and scratches. I looked behind him to see hundreds of ponies in a single group, with revenge in their eyes.

"Thank you," General Arch said, "For inspiring my ponies to fight another day. For inspiring me to fight another day. Now then," he said turning to the army behind him, "For Equestria!"

The army boomed in a massive yell, and charged together. The Pegasus cavalries took the air, and the unicorns took the front in a massive row of sharpened horns. General Arch ran at the head of it, and I joined with him.

This caught the enemy army by surprise. They had no General, and the previously routed army came at them full force. By the time someone ordered a counter-charge, the pony army slammed into them.

With me and General Arch in front and a long battle ahead, the ponies fought with all their heart.

______________________________________________________________________________


It had been a long and bloody battle, spanning over 3 hours. There were only about two hundred ponies left out of the original size of almost a thousand. When I had arrived the number had already diminished to maybe six hundred.

General Arch had ordered a base camp set up on the open field in which the battle was fought. He sent a very important message to Celestia, concerning their surprising victory and a God named Legend.

I was still amazed at how so little number of ponies could've stood up to and win against an enemy army twice their size. Maybe what eveypony needs is a little hope. Hope, that one thing can drive a pony to do amazing things. I'm here because I hope I can save Equestria.

I sat in Arch's tent while he went to check on the supplies. When he returned he sat and faced me. He looked me over several times, checking for any resemblance to the Princesses or anypony else for that matter. After a while he finally spoke.

"Who are you? You call yourself Legend, the God of War and Destruction. I have an extremely hard time believing that." He said.

I really didn't have a way of explaining who Legend was, other than he's a God. And I didn't want to say who I was before, since that could be dangerous. How, I'm not sure, but I'm not going to take a risk.

"I don't have all day," Arch said, annoyed that I hadn't answered him, "I have many jobs to do at the moment. I am taking the time to meet the pony that saved an entire army from sure death. Answer my question, who are you."

He wants an answer so he'll get the only one I can say to make him trust me. He has always put trust into his best Lieutenant. Risks or not, it's the only way. I'll tell him something only we know.

"I...," I began, hesitating, "I have a violet flower waiting for me in Canterlot..."

Arch's eyes went wide. Only two ponies knew what that truly meant, me and him. I told him about who was waiting for me. I told him why I was fighting.

"Thats... not possible..." He said, "Y-you... died! I saw your body! I saw it with its chest ripped open! I saw it with its guts hanging out! I... I..."

He looked away, hiding the tears in his eyes. I had been the only pony to treat him as an equal, rather than always a leader. I felt wrong telling him that the only friend in the army, who had died right in front of him, was standing right here.

"Arch, its me. I know it may not seem like it, not with this body. But it is. I did die. And now I'm back."

He turned back to me, having wiped the tears from his eyes. He regained his composure to the best of his ability, and continued asking questions.

______________________________________________________________________________


It took several days for new orders to arrive from Canterlot, which I used to explain everything that had happened. It shouldn't have taken that long, but Arch was very persistent with getting answers he was satisfied with.

We also had a little fun with my newfound powers. I discovered that I could conjure two unique things. I could use my armor to conjure a steel warrior, which will probably come in handy. I also learned I could conjure two large swords, similar to those on my new cutie mark.

I named the white one Peace, since it had the strange ability to relax a living thing. This most likely was meant to make things easier for End, the other sword. I named it End for the simple reason that being hit by the blade ends your existence. I mean that in a literal way, it completely turns whatever it strikes to ashes. Not to be mistaken for whatever it touches.

When we received the letter from Canterlot, it caught us by surprise. The letter read:

"General Arch,

I would you and the 5th Royal Infantry to retreat back towards Canterlot. We have reports of a large Dragon army moving through the country in this direction. I need your ponies to be here when/if they arrive.

I would also like to have a word with Legend. It has been a long time since we last spoke.

Princess Celestia"

Looks like surprises are also a trend for me, too.

______________________________________________________________________________

A/N: My first chapter over two thousand words, even if only by a little! Yay! Also, I'd like to know if you readers would want to have the journey back to Canterlot cut out or left in. Also (again), I'm just pumping these out. I'm having a blast writing this and my mind has been a diamond mine of ideas.