• Published 17th Mar 2012
  • 546 Views, 36 Comments

The Elements of Lunar Harmony - Paganbrony



When Princess Luna decides a student is the best way to make new friends is Equestria truly safe?

  • ...
2
 36
 546

Part Eight: The Gangs All Here.

The Elements of Lunar Harmony

Part Eight: The Gangs All Here.

Apple Cobbler wondered if she was still dreaming, no… more like wished she was dreaming, Luna stood before her meant she would have to accompany the mad blue witch if only to protect Roseluck and Berry.

“Have you seen a pony named Trixie on your travels by any chance, she is traveling with a fiery looking mare called Spitfire?”

Apple Cobbler muttered something under her breath as Trixie hailed her mentor and princess.

“Back here idiot, what’s the matter? A thousand years of boredom turn you blind?”

Trixie’s inappropriate hoof gesture gave all assembled bright red faces and set Luna’s triumphant entrance back a bit as she stumbled over a retort and trailed off…

Luna looked past her offending student and spotted Spitfire who to her disappointment was laughing along with Trixie, the pair seemed to be getting along but being the focus of this mirth caused Luna to bristle somewhat at the slur.

Luna was however overjoyed inside at her student possibly making friends even if it seemed she would have to learn the complicated language of humor to keep up, but the princess was ashamed about her impending bad news for the captain and the effect it would have…

She wondered how to break it to her and Trixie as the blue magician gracefully floated off of the cart and landed beside it her silver mane billowing in the light breeze passing by at the moment.

“So I have been chased continually, then nearly burnt to death in a winery, generally all round plagued by misfortune and you just glide in like a real goddess would as if the last few days hadn’t happened, well? Where have you been? It’s been a nightmare since we had to run from Canterlot.”

The Moon Princess taken aback once already was reeling as the acidic tone of her student bit deep.

“I was unconscious…”

“You were out for that long? What was in that box?”

Luna stepped up to the cart and Trixie like a contact in a spy thriller, her expression and resulting whisper made even Trixie turn a tinge red before cackling loudly and openly repeating it to the group causing a second round of blushing and yet more laughter from Spitfire.

“Things did not proceed well then? But who are these ponies with you then?”

As Trixie debated her response Luna studied the two as yet unknown ponies who both fidgeted in front of Luna who in turn tried to reassure them with a smile.

This was meant to be a friendly welcoming one but Luna still lacked her sister’s ability to smile convincingly without having the peasants offer up their foals in sacrifice to appease the dark goddess before them.

Trixie awkwardly got down from the cart by letting down the tailgate and gingerly jumping out.

“This is Roseluck and Apple Cobbler from Ponyville and in the…”

Before Trixie could finish the sound of falling bottles ripped through the introductions as Berry slid off the floor of the cart out of the back and landed on all four hooves before stumbling on air and finishing up legs splayed at all angles flat on her face with her rear sticking up for all nature to see.

“…Was in the cart that’s Berry Punch, hey Spitz the wonder filly, grab a shovel let’s do the right thing and bury her.”

Spitfire’s eyes narrowed as she bounced out of the cart and squared up to Trixie pausing only to wince at her wing hurting as she landed but unlike Berry she remained upright.

“Don’t call me that if you want to stay above ground yourself cheap trick.”

“DID YOU JUST CALL ME A HOOKER YOU… YOU… HORSEFLY… ”

Trixie’s anger boiled over as the fragile bond that bound the two loosely with their supposed quest shattered and so the pair began eyeing each other up and readying for battle having previously been unable to vent various pent up aggression.

“Hah! What I meant was all you can do is entertain foals little miss magic filly.”

“Enough!!!”

Luna stomped her hoof as a bolt of lightning shot out of nowhere across the blue cloudy sky as the moon princess let her immense yet fragile power slip out irritated by the sudden change in the two and her desire to restore order.

This was quickly followed by a crash course in the true order as both the mares each shot Luna a glance that together caused her to back peddle immediately and lose any confidence that Roseluck and Apple Cobbler had in the younger princess.

Desperate to win back the admiration of her two subjects and to assert her pack dominance over the other two (Berry it seemed was out for the count.) Luna used her special move ‘Stare of the Moon’.

Trixie and Spitfire stricken by constant disappointment failure and the lonely drudgery of their lives were now far beyond any stare preformed by any pony other than that of a ‘stare master.’

The nearest in Equestria was Fluttershy of Ponyville, who as it happens was currently apologizing to a Jabberwocky (for a strict diet plan she had prepared as part of being a carer of sick and lost animals, mythical beasts and other assorted things that go squeak in the night).

The result of this was the total and utter defeat of the princess by ‘Withering Stare’ used by Trixie and ‘Fiery Glance’ by Spitfire both honed by constant practice, one used for punters and the uneducated and the other to deal with Wonderbolts who dared question the absolute authority of the team captain at bedtime.

As Roseluck and Apple Cobbler tended the fallen princess the verbal abuse continued as each tried to out do the insults of the other equally determined mare.

“Why the long face you sit on your pointy hat or something?”

“That the best you could come up with? Have you always just winged it through life? Or does your butt whistle in strong winds.”

“Hah all that time learning magic didn’t any pony tell you it’s your nose you put to the grindstone not your face.”

“Hmph I bet they had to sew an extra big corset into your costume, or do you use butter to get into it and that’s why you’re yellow?”

“You calling me fat? That’s rich thunder flanks…”

Spitfire ignored Trixie’s next comment as she suddenly snapped back to reality and the realization that Trixie was thin, really thin, her ribs could be seen and her face was gaunt in fact as the Wonderbolt looked closer she realized the magician was looking ill.

Why hadn’t she seen it before? Her mind flashed through her memories from the moment they had met and saw the truth…

Trixie saw her eyes and knew what Spitfire was looking at, she wasn’t ashamed to admit she’d missed a meal or twenty but as the fire left her, she saw the shock on Spitfires face, Trixie ignored the look of concern that followed then gave a derisive sniff as she replied.

“We can’t all get room service on demand, besides now I’m the student of Luna I can at least demand an allowance.”

“What about the stolen bits from Appleloosa haven’t you used any?”

“Of course I have except after a bath and a sparse snack at Canterlot and what we had at Berry Punches we’ve spent the rest of the time running from that idiot Braeburn and his insane posse of clowns.”

“Oh! That gentle colt from Appleloosa? He was so helpful and sweet.”

All eyes turned to Luna as she regained her composure and tried to stand if a little shakily at first slightly more regally.

“When I saw him last was just before I was knocked out by the flying…”

“…Mares best friend?”

Trixie exploded with laughter as Spitfire delivered the line with a deadpan expression, Luna however thought for a second then caught up just as Apple Cobbler noticed something white stood a few feet away out the corner of her eye.

“I would not know of such things besides he was in a hurry I-I think he was in a rush but I was hit by the… …mares best friend?”

Luna used the metaphor with a hesitant voice but a look of seeking approval for being one of the mares and a slight nervous smile (whilst blushing furiously mind you).

Spitfire gave her an encouraging nod which made Luna feel more relaxed and confident until Trixie finally picked apart her last words.

“He’s chasing us…”

“Sorry what was that?”

“He’s been chasing me since Appleloosa.”

“Wow he must really like you.”

Trixie closed her eyes as she reluctantly tried to withhold the anger building inside as Luna gave her a confused look.

“HE’S CHASING ME WITH A POSSE YOU FEATHERBRAINED FOAL… FOR THE BITS YOU TOOK IN APPLELOOSA!!!”

“You can stop shouting anytime you know it’s giving me a headache.”

Trixie seemed a little frantic as she waved her hooves as her eyes stared into the future before her as she ignored the sarcastic remark from Spitfire.

“NO!!! YOU DON’T KNOW… NONE OF YOU… HE’LL DO HIS JOB OR DIE TRYING…”

The group all gave Trixie a disbelieving look of ‘I think you’re overreacting’, but as she continued to lament her misfortunes, Roseluck who wasn’t paying attention noticed Apple Cobbler wasn’t paying attention either and was looking at something intently so Roseluck followed her eye line towards possibly the most beautiful mare she’d ever seen.

“But he was so funny when he got all embarrassed at spending the night with me.”

Even Roseluck and Apple Cobbler snapped back to the conversation on that one as Spitfire just blinked in shock but it was Trixie’s reaction that got every pony as her frantically loud voice dropped to a stunned whisper.

“You spent the night with him? You and Braeburn were together…”

Trixie slowly sank to her rump, her face a mask of disappointment and unrealized if somewhat sadistic interests gone south.

“But no mare has ever been interested in him, not any good ones… and that day he said he was there for me…?”

(Historical Note: The conversation referred to by Trixie was in fact Braeburn’s ill fated attempt to find the magical mare for Luna which ended prematurely when Trixie misunderstood his intentions and blew him up.)

“Y-You royal bitch the first stallion in ages that even interests me and he gets taken home by an airhead like you! And now to top it off he thinks I’m a criminal.”

“Take him home? I did not take him anywhere he took me to his room we shared a bed for the night, what requires such a reaction I do not understand you must be sick I have neither air for a head nor am I a female dog, are you hallucinating my student?”

Spitfire despite her worries about Trixie’s weight became very worried by the vacant look and the twitch she was fast developing in her right eye that skewed the unnerving smile across her face.

The young captain was no stranger to stallion trouble and despite her reservations felt once more the tug of compassion and the awkward feeling of friendship/camaraderie towards the vulnerable looking magician.

“Ah don’t want to butt in or nothing but ya’ll going on about Braeburn Apple right, wears a waistcoat and a Stetson who kicks his legs whenever he utters the name Appleloosa.”

Trixie and Luna nodded to her description as Apple Cobbler kicked her legs in response to the town’s name, with no clue as to why.

“He’s ma cousin.”

“You’re serious? That’s great! You can tell him Trixie is innocent and it was all Luna’s fault then he’ll stop chasing us like a dog on heat.”

Spitfire tried to act positive but the look from Apple Cobbler was less than reassuring to her.

“What’s the problem your family he’ll listen to you won’t he?”

“Well he might if it was princess Luna who told him but he still treats me like a little filly, hey wait why is he chasing ya’ll anyway, if that witch did something wrong she should be brought to justice ah won’t travel with a criminal no where.”

“It’s OK Braeburn thinks Trixie robbed the workers pay roll from the bank in Appleloosa.”

“She did what now…”

“It was really Luna but Braeburn’s convinced Trixie’s some kind of evil witch and dangerous criminal and hasn’t given up since.”

“That’s our Braeburn, once an Apple family member gets the bit between their teeth there ain’t no stopping us, but wait, ya’ll just said that Luna robbed the bank.”

“It was a simple misunderstanding, after the townsfolk fled town I was merely borrowing it since I forgot to bring relevant currency.”

Luna’s reply did little to assuage Apple Cobblers worries as she looked blankly from Luna to Trixie.

“Uh why in the blue sky did the townsfolk run away?”

Trixie shrugged looking away as she answered.

“Braeburn started it… The Idiot, I thought he’d come to ask me out so I kind of blasted him with magic for his arrogance… (A tinge of regret sounded in the magician’s voice) it would be just like him to ask me just like that...”

Trixie took a deep breath and with a sorrowful sigh she continued.

“I guess the townsfolk must have run for cover because afterwards the town was empty, but turns out I was wrong he wasn’t there for me he was just a messenger, he’d hardly be interested in me after he’d spent the night with our glorious leader over there.”

As the venom and latent anger in her tone increased the princess Luna gave her a confused look as she still didn’t realize they all misunderstood what had happened due in part to Luna’s lack of a coherent explanation.

“Um… Princess Luna…”

Luna switched her attention to Roseluck who interrupted in a very soft manner and shied away when all eyes turned to her.

“I don’t mean to be rude but who is the pony stood over there?”

Luna gasped as finally she remembered one of the main reasons she had come all this way apart from locating her student and her business with the young captain.

All eyes turned as Luna puffed out her chest as she prepared to introduce her ace in the hole which she hoped would please her furious student and lessen the damage of what she was yet to reveal.

It also made a great distraction from the venom being broadcast through the murderous looking eyes of Trixie.

Pausing for dramatic effect and allowing a smile to creep onto her face Luna failed to notice all present were actually focused on the frankly stunning and rather confused looking unicorn mare.

“May I introduce the newest member of your group Fleur de Li’s she’s going to accompany you on your quest.”

Fleur who had remained silent throughout all of this choosing instead to observe the strange ensemble arguing by the side of the road, hid her face behind her mane and adopted a fancy yet practiced pose as all eyes continued to stare either enviously at her looks or with slight suspicions.

Trixie rallied her wits as she assessed the young mare as she tried to look friendly after Spitfire nudged her viciously and whispered for Trixie to drop the scowl on her face which to Spitfires surprise she did.

Roseluck trembling slightly trotted up to Fleur as the shy mare met the fancy mare the Apple of the bunch joined them still pulling her cart.

“H-Hello… I’m Roseluck I come from Ponyville this is Apple Cobbler also from Ponyville…”

“Howdy there, well ain’t you just the prettiest thing ah ever saw.”

“C-Canterlot…”

“Huh? Is that where you’re from Fleur, Canterlot?”

“Yes I am from Canterlot… Although I spend a lot of time in Manehatten, at least Fancypant’s does but I’m always by his side so I guess I’m there after all… ”

Confused the two Ponyville mares noticed Luna gesticulating wildly and as they turned they saw the white mares face start to crack as the weight of what she had done started to impact on her.

“I… I left him… I left him back at the castle… Will he even notice I’m gone? Oh no what if he’s looking for me… What if he’s worried?”

“Uh hey why don’t we introduce you to the others?”

Roseluck’s voice and her sympathetic eyes broke Fleur from her worries as the fragile mare backed up by her farm pony friend pointed out the others.

“That mare over there is Spitfire she’s the captain of the Wonderbolts.”

“Yup and that there witch with the silver mane is Trixie, ah would steer clear of that one if ah were you missy.”

Apple Cobbler ignored the irritated ‘hey watch it…’ from Trixie as Fleur overcome with curiosity could no longer stay quiet.

“And the mare on the floor is she OK? I don’t think I’ve seen her move since she fell over?”

True to form Berry indeed hadn’t moved and as Spitfire moved closer to her and tapped her with a hoof the inebriated mare snorted and began to stir.

“Fleur this is Berry Punch don’t worry too much she’s a professional.”

Spitfire’s light hearted humor again brought a smile to the group as they all (yes even Trixie) gathered in a rough circle.

“So great mentor and leader how exactly did you find us?”

Luna grinned as she reached under her mane and retrieved a small pouch with her teeth that she untied and emptied using her magic as the others looked on curiously.

“Spitfire, remember when I gave you that chain when we met?”

Spitfire lifted a hoof and touched the silver chain that held a silver letter L that was around her neck.

“Yeah you said it was important…”

“It is… It’s a magical chain made of Mithril imbued with the power of the moon.”

As Luna magically floated five more chains just like Spitfires each with the letter L to their new owners (for Berries chain she laid it across a splayed hoof) she continued to explain.

“Each chain is linked to the others and myself, as a result with a spell I can locate you anywhere and eventually I will teach you how to use them to contact me!.”

“I helped the princess make the spell.”

Fleur was happy as she proudly announced her part in Luna’s successful efforts at relocation.

“Definitely her assistance was indeed helpful I would not have gathered everything necessary in good time otherwise.”

The white mare swelled with pride as Roseluck and Apple Cobbler both were suitably impressed and let Fleur enjoy the moment as did Spitfire but Trixie had more important things to discuss.

“Great… that means you can keep tabs on me when ever you remember I exist, so anyway that makes six of us so now are you going to tell us what this important mission is?.”

The moon princess faltered as the weight of her duty was too much for her, as Luna’s eyes roamed over the expectant faces of the group before finally coming to rest on Spitfire.

Luna’s twitch above her left eye was hardly noticeable but upon seeing it Spitfire exhaled and as she looked in any other direction any other than that of Luna, Spitfire in a slightly hesitant and weak sounding voice whispered just loud enough for all to hear…

“…I won’t go back.”