• Published 5th Jan 2014
  • 1,875 Views, 50 Comments

Friendship is Shining: Boasts and Brag - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



A new unicorn comes to Ponyville making outrageous claims and humiliating whomever challenges her

  • ...
1
 50
 1,875

Challengers

Sunset Shimmer smirked at the look of wide-eyed shock at the challenge. The pitiful stallion looked extremely uncomfortable, like he was ready to run or something. She would challenge him, of course, prove that she was a far more powerful unicorn, but not yet. No, first she had to undermine his confidence and security. Let him dread what they both knew was coming. First, she would go after some pony else.

His friends.

"So how about it?" the burning yellow unicorn asked. "Is there anything you think you can do that I can't?" She narrowed her eyes and showed her teeth. "Well, little hayseed?"

"That's it," Applejack snapped. "I can't stand for no more o' this."

"Applejack," Shining Armor started, but getting no response as the orange earth pony went up on stage.

"Can your magical powers do this?"

Applejack started spinning a lasso with her tail, the loop of the rope large enough for her to stand in the middle of as she spun it around herself. Standing on one leg, she lifted her tail to raise the lasso up into the air and above her head. Shifting, she twirled the length on one side of her, then jumped as she moved it across her to the other and back. Applejack did this again two, three, four times. Finally she threw the lasso, having the loop snag an apple from a tree. The lasso released the apple in mid-air, and Applejack caught with her mouth.

The crowd let out a cheer for the local farm pony.

"Top that missy," Applejack said as she leaned on two hooves, giving the unicorn a smirk of her own.

"Well I already jumped through a flaming hoop," Sunset stated, "but if you want to see me do a rope trick..."

Her horn glowed with pale green energy. The magical aura began to encompass the tip of the rope, waving it back and forth as it rose up like a cobra. It continued to rise and undulate, the movement nearly hypnotic. Especially to Applejack who not only watched, but started to move in time to the swaying without even realizing it.

The other end of the rope lifted up and shot out, grabbing another apple from the tree. The serpentine end dropped down and shot forward, rapidly wrapping around Applejack's legs and tying them together. The mare let out a yelp of surprise as it happened, suddenly turned upside down as she was hog tied. The opposite end shoved the apple into the open mouth, lodging it in place.

"And now," Sunset said, "that is how you catch a cowgirl."

The audience let out a small cheer and laughed at Applejack. For her part, the mare managed to turn over onto her legs and started hopping for the end of the stage.

Sunset Shimmer looked through the audience, and tried to keep her smile in place as she caught sight of her main target. He was not laughing, but she had expected that. But he did not look embarrassed or sad for his friend either, which she did. He looked... annoyed? Irritated?

"There's no need to go showing off and strutting around like that," Rainbow Dash snarled as she floated on the stage, her face barely two inches away from Sunset Shimmer's.

"Oh?" Sunset said as she looked at the pegasus.

"That's my job!"

Rainbow Dash took off as fast as she could flying toward the mill. Hitting one of the blades, she pushed the windmill fan, speeding it up. Using the momentum, the mare launched herself high up into the air. Flying straight up, she punched her way through cloud after cloud as she ascended higher and higher. As she reached the apex, she stopped a moment before turning one hundred and eighty degrees and flying back down. Each time she flew through one of the holes in the clouds, more and more raindrops collected behind her, following Dash's path. After spinning through the fan of the windmill again, the mare flew back to the stage. She came to a sudden halt and spread her wings wide. The water struck the mare's back and burst apart, creating a rainbow above Rainbow Dash.

"They don't call me Rainbow, and Dash, for nothin'."

Once again the crowd cheered, with a few exceptions. One of them was Scootaloo. The orange filly stared at Rainbow Dash with her eyes wide and mouth hanging over.

"That," the young filly said, "was, the most AWESOME thing ever!" She jumped up and down in excitement, grinning at the stage. As far as she was concerned, Rainbow Dash was now the coolest, most awesome pony ever.

Back on stage, Sunset Shimmer rolled her eyes as the antics of the pegasus.

"If only your brain was as fast as your mouth," she said with a snort.

Once again the mare's horn started to glow. The rainbow glowed with magic before disappearing,the water turning to ice and dropping onto Rainbow Dash. Before Dash could do anything, the frost gripped her and spun, launching her from the stage. The young mare spun like a top as she went, landing in the dirt face first.

"I," Dash groaned, "think I'm... going to be sick."

"That," Shimmer said, "was a very impressive Rainbow Crash!"

Her horn continued to glow as she created a massive storm cloud over the prone pegasus. As Rainbow Dash was getting back out, thunder boomed as a bolt of lightning fired from the cloud to strike the pegasus on the rump, causing her to yelp in pain.

"Oh don't be so shocked," Shimmer said with a laugh.

"That's enough!"

Sunset Shimmer stopped laughing and turned to look at the source of the interruption. Shining Armor now stood on the stage. His legs were spread wide and head low. The stallion's eyes were narrow as he stared, letting a snort out through his nose.

"Oh?" Shimmer raised an eyebrow and tilted her head to look at him. She had to hide her shock. She had not expected him to be so bold as to jump up on stage, or to actually be angry. She was expecting cowardice, not confrontation. A shame too. she had been hoping to get the white unicorn mare next. One that seemed so prissy and uptight would have been so much fun to humiliate in front of everypony.

"I may not like you embarrassing my friends," Shining Armor stated as he took a step closer, "but that's a part of the show. I get it. But I will not let you continue to humiliate them, and I will absolutely not let you hurt them."

"Okay." Sunset Shimmer turned to face him. "So, what are you going to do about it?"

Shining Armor opened his mouth, closed it, opened it, and closed it again. That was a good question. One he had not actually thought about before jumping up on stage. He had already been irritated about seeing Applejack and Rainbow Dash embarrassed on stage in front of most of Ponyville, but seeing Sunset Shimmer attack one of his friends had set him off. Now that he was up on stage, he realized that he had not made any plan what to do once up there.

The stallion shifted, looking out toward the crowd. A lot of ponies were out there, watching the stage. Some stuck out to him more than others. Specifically one little purple unicorn filly and two friends who had been somewhat embarrassed on stage not too long ago.

Shining Armor took a deep breath, slowly let out out, and turned to look at Sunset Shimmer. He straightened up, looking at her with his full height.

"Okay," he said, "you've made your point. Why don't you just go on with your show and not try to give any ponies a hard time?" With that, he turned and hopped off the stage, walking toward his friends.

"Spike, remind me when we get home to write a letter asking about information on her." He turned his attention to Rainbow Dash. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," Dash replied. "I'm fine." She gave a smirk. "I've been struck worse on accident by Derpy than that."

"That's good." Shining gave a gentle smile. "So how about I treat you two at Sugarcube Corner to help salve your pride?"

"Sure," Dash said.

"Ah'm not going to turn down some grub," Applejack agreed.

"Oh oh," Pinkie Pie shouted, "I know just the perfect thing." And with that, she bolted off.

"Shiny?" Twilight asked, "Can I go play with Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo?"

"Sure Twiley," the stallion answered. "Just be sure to be home before dinner." He turned to Rarity. "Want to come?"

"Thank you darling," the unicorn mare answered, "but I have other matters to attend to."

With that Shining Armor, Applejack and Rainbow Dash started to head for Sugarcube Corner.

"Well then," Sunset Shimmer said from her spot on the stage, "I guess that I have proven that I am the greatest, most powerful, and most talented unicorn in Ponyville." She let out a snort. "As if there was ever any doubt." With that she walked off stage.

Twilight and Spike still stood in the crowd that was dispersing. The unicorn filly stared at the stage, eyes narrowed and ears pulled back.