• Published 4th Jan 2014
  • 469 Views, 3 Comments

Siege Stories: Diary of a Pegasus Purist - PheonixCircle



Dairy from the last battles of the pony unification.

  • ...
 3
 469

Day Thirty: Falling Apart

This is the forth entry of Lance Skydiver, operative commander of Castle Northwind under the siege of the pony unity.

I underestimated the power of the new believe. There is apparently no possible way of splitting this unity apart since they gathered together. This creature with the features of all different races of ponies seems to be a wishful thought in the hearts of these fools outside the wall. And sadly, they have sown the seed of treachery inside the walls thanks to their believes.

The spy I sent into the sky to convince our brethren was the first one, but he won't be the last one. I have sent him several times up, and each time he took more time there. At first, I thought we would succeed, that the pegasi would listen to what my spy had to tell them, but I was wrong. They made him convert, made him believe that the unity is the right way.

I sent him up a week ago, but he didn't return, leaving us to our destiny. He let them answer if they would help us. Their answer was no, sent through a day full of rain. As my mane got wet, my heart ached. He betrayed us for the unity.

And he wasn't the only one. At least a hundred pegasi went missing in the past week. A few of them wrote letters addressed to me, excuse themselves for the betrayal, and that they just didn't want to die. At least they didn't sabotage us, probably hoping that we will convert to and that none of us get hurt.

Fools. They have no clue that, if we lose this battle, we lose so much more than just a castle and our honour. We lose our dominance, our right to rule. I will never give this things up. I don't want to sit on the throne, but I will not see a unicorn or a earthpony on it- Only the pegasi are born to rule, the others are born to be ruled.

They have sent another ambassador today morning. As she entered, no one dared to say on word, and even I had problems keeping my voice as strong as normally. The ambassador wore a coat, but It was clear that she was a unicorn, her horn was visible to us all. What really brought me out of concept was her ridiculous height and her mane: Dark blue, looking like the night sky.

I knew that some unicorns had special manes, especially these which were superior in knowledge of magic in comparison to their fellow kind. As she stood before us, I wondered that there were unicorns her height, but I was even more confused when she started to speak: She had the voice of a young filly, not older than a few moons.

How old she looked in comparison to how old she sounded weren't the only things that didn't match. She looked strict, but her voice sounded as if she could start laughing every minute. Her face didn't show any sign while she spoke, but her honesty was clear as the sky on this day. And just by listening to what she had to say, you could hear that she was loyal to her task, to the ponies outside the walls.

And she spoke with wisdom unknown to any of us, wisdom of ages. Her voice was heard in every corner of the castle, without her even raising her voice. It just seemed to carry through every gap, and everything around the castle became silent, even the winds and birds.

She demanded that we surrendered, that I would become her prisoner, as judgement should be called upon me, in form of execution. I laughed, as this whole situation was ridiculous. I laughed like a mad pony, and I spit in front of her hooves on the ground, answering her that I'd rather die on the battlefield than in front of these fools.

She shook her head, and as she left, I noticed my companions helplessness. I held another speech, but it was futile. They lost even more confidence in our task, and in me. My madness has brought us no good, parted my men even further from me, from our righteous cause.

And that our food stocks are empty, makes the whole situation worse. It seems that the only way my men survive is through surrender, through my death, if not for the earthponies gifts each night. They seem to watch over us, want us to survive. I am losing my companions, my soldiers, to the unitys generosity.

But for the moment, they are still on my side. I still have some power over them, but not for long. I can sense their knives on my throat, can feel their anger towards me growing by the second, but I won't give in so easily. I will stay up this night, awaiting them in this room, in full armour and ready to die. For my believes, for my family, for my honour.