• Published 6th Jan 2014
  • 2,078 Views, 90 Comments

The Last Letter - ManestreamStudios



Twenty years into the future, the Elements of Harmony have grown apart in their bid to attain their dreams. But when Princess Celestia has one more task for them, the Mane Six band together for one last adventure.

  • ...
8
 90
 2,078

A Dash of Hope

The Last Letter - Chapter 2: A Dash of Hope

The train ride to the Crystal Empire seemed to take forever for the young princess. Where confidence and resolve once held strongly in her mind, now rested doubt paired with a hint of fear. The ordeal she endured the night before began to make the lavender mare question just how feasible this prospect was. The journey had yet to begin in earnest, and already there was a problem which boldly presented itself. Exhausted, Twilight sunk into the chair beside her; sighing heavily as she turned to stare distantly out of her window. Her lead chin came to rest upon her front hoof as she began to think.

She was grateful for Big Mac's support last night and it had been a long time since she was able to just stay up late and admire Luna's night sky. It seemed to let reality - and all of its problems - seep away, while tracing constellations with her eyes. As the soothing relaxation wandered in to her mind, the hopeful thought of a spa day with her friends entered her mind and became increasingly enticing the longer it lingered. The vision made her smile and lifted her confidence. For the time being, Twilight decided to replace her promise to Celestia with a simpler goal by dedicating the spa idea to memory.

'If... no, when we all get back together again, I'll take everypony there to unwind and catch-up. That would be a perfect way to wrap up a sincere apology. I hope Rainbow Dash has grown to appreciate a good sprucing...'

As her mind began to wonder how exactly she'd get a hold of that nomadic adrenaline junkie, the conductor announced the train's arrival to the Crystal Empire, and began to wind it down to as graceful a halt as the steam engine could achieve. Twilight felt her body slowly lean forward and then jerk back into the cushioned padding of her seat. A loud hiss of steam signaled to the princess that they had come to a complete stop and it was now safe to disembark.

Trotting into the open station with a dark blue travel bag held firmly in her magical grasp beside her, Twilight looked out upon the Crystal Empire in all its brilliance. The brightness of its luminescence seemed like it should be impossible to stare at directly, but, oddly enough, the vibrant color and light was not harsh at all. On the contrary, the light seemed comfortably inviting, seeming to embody the light of love it represented.

Staring at it now, Twilight began to wonder what the Crystal Spire might look like. From the description of her book, it didn't seem like the Spire would be all that different from Cadance's castle. Would it be just as large? Might it be a castle itself? Was there a connection between this Spire and the castle standing before her? Or was it simply coincidence that they both could spread love over a large area of land?

Another hiss of steam from the engine behind her pulled Twilight back to reality, allowing her to proceed to her original objective. She was here to see her family and pick the first two of her own personal guard. While trotted along, Twilight slowly picked up pace to a canter, excited to see her family again. Secretly, she was glad that she wouldn't have to talk with any of her old friends today. Her encounter with Applejack instilled doubt in her mind, causing her to fear what her other friend’s reactions would be.

'I'll worry about that later.' she thought to herself. 'Applejack is going through a hard time. Surely, all the others are happier in their lives right now… right?'


After a mentally calming trip through the empire on her way to the castle, Twilight finally arrived at her destination. The ponies of the Crystal Empire were something both exotic and intrinsic. They were foreign and, yet belonging. It reminded her of the enchanting alterations the Crystal Heart gave her coat and mane when it reached full power. Along with the mane-style, which Twilight decided to adopt a near-perfect replication of that she'd mastered for more formal occasions. Today, however, would be casual. So her normal flowing mane-style, which rested around one side, was all that she wore today, complimented with a small smile. The beat of her hoof-steps quickly turned into a harmonic echo as she entered the castle from the ground floor, large halls giving way to many paths and doors. The occasional crystal guard would be seen coming in and out of view as they went about their business. A select few who happened to pass by her would throw up a quick salute, a gesture of respect for her royal presence. She'd simply return this with a nod and a smile.

Rounding one corner on her way to where she figured her brother and sister-in-law would be this early in the morning, Twilight stopped abruptly with an, "Oh, my!" of surprise, nearly running right into a gold-clad orange stallion. The surprise was returned by the guard's shrinking blue eyes and short whinny as he, too, halted just a few inches shy of Twilight. Twilight gave a small sigh of relief before offering a sheepish grin. "Sorry for the start, there."

The stallion heaved his own sigh of relief, having stepped back to give Twilight back her personal space. "It's fine, really. At least I don't need a cup of coffee anymore." The two shared a slightly awkward couple of laughs before he looked at her a bit more closely. A sudden expression of realization came onto his face. "Hey, I remember you. Princess Twilight Sparkle, right?" he gave a short, courtly bow before her. "What brings you to the Crystal Empire today, Princess?"

Twilight looked him over oddly for a moment, before she finally remembered his orange coat and deep blue eyes. "Flash Sentry!" A light blush dusted her cheeks for a moment as she remembered her experience with a Flash Sentry in the realm beyond the crystal mirror. This, in turn, prompted a quickly passing wonder as to how Sunset Shimmer was doing after all these years. Twilight then pushed herself to answer his question. "Oh, I'm just here to see my family again and spend some quality time with them."

"The prince and princesses? They should still be in the breakfast hall. Would you like an escort?"

"That would be great." she replied with a gleeful nod, choosing to trot along beside Flash. "How is Skyla doing, by the way? The last time I saw her, she was just a small filly. She couldn't have been bigger than I was in magic kindergarten."

"She's grown into quite the princess, your highness. Though, I hear she's gotten a taste for adventure."

"I'll be sure to keep that in mind." she began with an amused chuckle. "I might know of an adventure book or two to recommend her."

"I bet she'd love that."

After a short trot, the two came to stop before a pair of large doors which led into the dining hall. Flash Sentry went ahead, cracked the doors open, and disappeared beyond them. Twilight took this moment to make sure her mane and tail were in proper order while Flash announced her arrival. A familiar, more robust voice acknowledged Flash Sentry and asked to have her brought in. Twilight looked back to the doors just in time for the orange guard to slip back out.

"They're ready for you, Princess. Enjoy your stay."

"Thanks, you too..." Twilight responded as she watched him pass by. After a moment, she realized how she responded to his bid. This caused a sheepish grin before she brushed it off. "I'm sure he knows what I meant." she assured herself.

Once Twilight entered the dining hall, the three royals each got off of their seats to go and greet her. Cadance was the first to personally welcome Twilight the only way she knew how. "Twilight!"

"Cadance!" Twilight exclaimed, cantering up to meet her honorary sister halfway. Her dark blue luggage case set down behind her while they both did their song and prance in unison.

"Sunshine, sunshine, ladybugs awake! Clap your hooves, and do a little shake!"

The two then giggled like little school fillies as they shared a firm hug with each other. Once they broke the embrace, to two gave each other a slightly more casual exchange of welcomes.

"It's so great to see you, Twilight!" Cadance began.

"It's great to see you too, Cadance."

"Hello, Auntie Sparkle!" Skyla interrupted as she galloped over to stand before the two. Skyla bore a wide grin, holding small yet fond memories of Twilight.

"Skyla! Oh my gosh, you're so big now!" Twilight took a moment to face the young mare and take in her image. This alicorn was about the size of an average mature filly her age. Wearing her own little crown and a set of ornate golden shoes, she seemed like the spitting-image of the young Cadance she once knew. The only details separating the two were a slightly deeper colored coat, sky-blue eyes instead of lavender, and a not-too-different mane-style consisting of purple with a single golden yellow highlight.

As gently as her excitement would allow, Twilight gave Skyla her own hug before continuing. "How's my favorite niece?"

"I'm your only niece!" she playfully objected.

Twilight gave a small chuckle. "I suppose you're right."

"Twily!" came Shining Armor's own greeting. Unable to wait for his turn any longer, he came up and stole a hug from his sister. "How are you, Sis?"

Twilight felt a small twinge in her stomach as she gave the last of her hugs away. It then donned on her that she didn't remember eating anything before bed last night. In addition, she had opted to skip breakfast in order to spend as much of her day as she could with her family. "Right now, I'm hoping you've got room at the table for one more." she replied with a nervous smile.

"Of course! I'd have it no other way." Shining responded, holding out a hoof to the table to further invite her to dine with them.


The quartet spent a while together, talking and catching up well into mid-day. Subjects ranged from what Twilight had been doing in Ponyville since the time of her last visit, to regaling wild adventures from a seemingly past life to an awe-filled Skyla. While together, Twilight got the chance to be shown the room she would be sleeping in for the night, which looked like it was used only for guests of honor. She also got to see some of the improvements they've made over the years, including some additions and a small selection of crystal replicas that were masterfully recreated from original historic stone and marble statues.

Pretty soon, the topic of their discussions turned towards more recent events, and eventually the subject of Celestia's task for her was brought up by Shining Armor. "So, Twily, Celestia's told me that you'll be needing a couple of guards for this mission of yours," he said casually.

Twilight nodded a confirmation. "Celestia wants me to lead a band of ponies to settle the old frontier, and reclaim the Crystal Spire."

"You're going on another adventure, Twilight!?" Skyla asked, barely unable to contain her excitement. Twilight nodded and Skyla gave a small jump of joy. "You're so lucky, Aunt Sparkle! I wish I could go on adventures like you. The Crystal Empire isn't as eventful as it looks. I think the most adventure I have here is when my friends and I play in the snow at the border."

"Oh, so you have some good friends?" Twilight asked, straying from the original topic a bit.

"Yup! I went to school with them. We used to do all sorts of crazy things back then. Its mellowed out a little bit now, but we still have some fun."

Twilight's smile weakened some as she heard that, slowing coming to a stop in the hallway. Twilight thought back to when she was just a regular old unicorn taking her first steps into Ponyville. Running into Pinkie, meeting the Apple family, and receiving her very first patented Rain-blow Dry. Though all of it was so long ago, Twilight held onto the fond memories like they happened yesterday, which made it that much harder to swallow the fact that her friendships were not what they once were.

"Auntie?"

"Is something wrong, Twily?"

The combination of Skyla and her brother's voices shook Twilight out of her daze, but not out of her slump. "Huh? Oh, nothing, sorry. I was just... remembering something." She looked away for a moment in though, but forced a small smile.

Cadance and Shining Armor both shared a concerned glance, before they looked back to Twilight and sat in the middle of the hall before her. It was Cadence who broke the silence, "You can tell us anything, Twilight. If something's bothering you, you shouldn't keep it bottled-up inside."

Twilight sighed heavily, "That obvious, huh?" They all nodded, which prompted her to sit as well, Armor and Skyla taking their own seats to listen. "After Celestia gave me the task, I went to Applejack's last night to tell her about it. I was excited because I thought we'd all meet up again and make some new memories together, like we used to...I thought she would be excited too, but she practically threw the offer in my face and I can't blame her. We never saw much of each other after I became Mayor, much less spoke. I found out later that AJ went through a pretty bad break-up and she's still really hurting. I'm hoping that I can get the rest of my friends together and get her out of this pit of depression, but... what if we can't? What if I can't? All because I never made time for her?"

Skyla looked down while brushing one hoof with the other nervously. Mostly because she didn't have an answer, but part of her felt like she brought out this negative feeling in Twilight. Shining Armor, on the other hoof, came over to sit next to Twilight, putting a hoof behind her back. "Hey, hey. You can't blame yourself, Twilight. Sometimes, when you grow up and get into bigger things, drifting can happen. It's a natural part of life, Twi."

Shining armor took a moment to think about a couple of his experiences with friends who drifted. "I'll admit, it's not easy. Whenever I first moved here to the Crystal Empire, I felt like I was so far out of the loop that I had somehow abandoned my friends in the Royal Guard. When we both had Skyla, it became even harder to keep up old connections. I've missed a lot about my buddies from Canterlot. It took me by complete surprise that one of my friends had fallen on hard times, having hurt himself in an accident after drinking too much. I may not have been there to help him at the time, but when I found out, I sent him all the bits he needed to get back on his hooves."

Shining armor took a moment to think about a couple of his experiences with friends who drifted. "I'll admit it's not easy. When I first moved here, I felt like I was so far out of the loop that I had somehow abandoned my friends in the Royal Guard. When we both had Skyla, it became even harder to maintain old connections. I've missed a lot about my buddies from Canterlot. It took me by complete surprise when I learned that one of my friends had fallen on hard times, having hurt himself in an accident after drinking too much. I may not have been there to help him at the time, but when I found out, I sent him all the bits he needed to get back on his hooves."

Shining chuckled slightly at the memory. "Oh, you can bet that didn't sit well. Gilded Shield wasn't one for charity and it took me a while to get him to accept it. Some friends and I, who were concerned for him, finally convinced him to take the money and get himself into a decent spot in life again. After that, things picked up for him. We still may not talk much or see each other, but the friendships we make, Twily, are strong and ever-lasting. All I can say is this, do what you can to help your friend. It might take a while, but she'll come around. Your friendship will be better for it."

Twilight smiled a bit, grateful to have so many good ponies in her life. "Thanks, Shining. You don't know how much that means to me. I'm certain now, as long as the others are with me, I can get Applejack out of her slump."

"Think nothing of it, Sis," he brushed it off with a gesture humbly. A thought then occurred to him, signified as he placed a hoof to his chin for a moment. "You know, come to think of it, I remember hearing a familiar name earlier today." He thought about it more, taking a moment to glance over to Twilight and see her curiosity. "Yeah…there was that rally scheduled during lunch today. I thought I recognized one of the competitors on the sheet. Rainbow Dash is one of your friends, isn't she?" Shining now gave a sly smile, knowing it should brighten her spirits some.

"Rainbow Dash is gunna be here today!?" Skyla asked with notable excitement, remembering her name coming up several times in Twilight's tales of adventure. Specifically, that Rainbow Dash was the mare of the group with a thing for thrilling excitement. She could hardly resist the opportunity at more adventure stories. "Can we go see her!? Please, please, please, please?"

Sklya gave Twilight such a broad grin of excitement, her eyes the size of dinner plates. She could hardly feel right denying her niece the chance to meet such a popular legend of today. Besides, being a Wonderbolt, Twilight doubted it would be easy to find that busy mare again. It was unlikely that Rainbow would be this conveniently close to the next few stops on her south-bound journey. "Sure, why not?"

"Yes! Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, YES!" Skyla jumped circles around the small group exuberantly.

Twilight gave off a blush with a nervous smile as she watched Skyla do this. While Shining Armor just gave a chuckle, already used to Skyla's natural charisma. "If you've ever doubted that she's your niece..." he whispered to her, and they both gave a small laugh. "I think I'll come with you two and help make sure Skyla keeps her flank planted in her seat during the race."

"Daaad! I'm not a foal anymore!" Skyla objected, but knew he'd still go anyway.

Twilight smiled at them both before looking to Cadance. "Are you coming with?"

"I would love to, but I'm afraid I've put off some important business for long enough already. You'll be back for dinner, right?"

"Of course!" Twilight doubted she'd miss it for the world. If she was lucky, she might get Rainbow Dash to join them as well. "See you then!" she called as Cadance left the three to go about her business. Twilight turned back to Shining Armor as she began her next question. "So, when should we head out for the rally?"

"The Wonderbolts should be already, prepping for the race. If we leave now, we can get settled in to the V.I.P. box and have some lunch delivered before they fly the course."

"Sounds like a plan!" Twilight replied as she got up.

"How many epic stories do you think Rainbow Dash has, Twilight?" Skyla inquired.

"More than I could count, I'm sure. If you ask her, I bet she'd even tell you how she got her cutie mark."

Skyla gasped, as if the idea that there was an awesome way to earn a cutie mark was foreign to her. "I can't wait!"

"Now you're just intentionally riling up my daughter." Shining Armor commented, to which Twilight countered with a prideful smirk.


Rainbow Dash stood proudly at the starting line, taking in the glory and attention of the crowd. The deafening noise of endless talking and cheering invoked a tingle that slowly moved up and down the back of her neck. Slowly, Rainbow began her routine. One leg stretched out, she explored the reaches of its free movement before firmly planting it back into place below her. As is did she accepted the returning weight and adjusted accordingly while another leg did the same. Then another, until all four were both tensed and tested. Her tail flicked while her wings came up to their full span and their area of motion explored. Everything felt fine and ready to go.

The announcer began his speech and that's when the world around Rainbow Dash was selectively tuned out. The roar of the crowd slowly died down as he carried on.

"In the first lane, Captain of the Wonderbolts. Spitfire!"

The crowd seemed to raise in volume some, but only slightly to Rainbow Dash. She had a method to maintain. A zone she needed to hone in on. Focus was something she pounded into her mind to deter her boastful nature from milking the crowd and making a foal of herself. Not only that, it just wasn't courteous to the other racers, whom she held much respect for.

"...Co-captain Soarin!"

Rainbow Dash took in a breath, the crowd now drowned out by the stillness in her mind. There was only one directive in her mind at this point. Fly like the wind.

"...living legend, Rainbow Dash!"

The faint sound of her name prompted the cyan mare to open her eyes again, breathing out as she did so. She became fully aware of the blaring crowd once more as she affixed her goggles over her eyes.

"Lightning Dust!"

Rainbow Dash looked to the last of the Bolts for today's race, remembering her from the academy. Lightning was little more than a bad egg in her eyes back then and was dropped for her inability to work with a team. It was only recently that Rainbow Dash heard from Spitfire that the mare redeemed herself, which made her today's hot new up-and-comer. Dash hadn't personally seen Dust's improvement, but she had hoped that it were true. Lightning held the potential to be a great Wonderbolt and an even better competitor.

Lightning Dust took notice of Rainbow's watchful eye, returning her silent scrutiny with a confident smirk and a nod forward, telling her to be ready. Rainbow Dash nodded once back in acknowledgement.

"Ready!"

All four now crouched to a prone position, ready and waiting.

"Set!"

Eight wings sprang up in unison. Rainbow Dash could feel the tension in the air with the smallest of her feathers. It sent an invigorating tingle down the back of her neck.

"Go!"

Black clouds, a jagged blue and yellow streak, and a ribbon of rainbow color now took place of the space these Wonderbolts once occupied.

Inside that instant of takeoff, adrenaline surged through Rainbow Dash from mane to tail and time seemed to slow down around her. Her senses exploded as she became aware of the invisible force she fought through to reach the finish line. Aware of the lightest of currents, timing the down-strokes of her wings for maximum propulsion. Her heart raced, giving Dash an oddly invigorating feeling in her chest.

As they approached the first curve, Rainbow looked to the left-corner of her vision. Her eyes see Soarin slowly falling behind, a result of his less-than-healthy diet.

'Three.'

Just beyond him, she could see Spitfire inching into the lead. With the inside-most lane, she held the advantage over the others.

'Two.'

Her eyes now turned towards the right side of her view. Rainbow watched an overly-confident blue and yellow mare creep passed Rainbow as they rounded the second curve, leaving her in third just ahead of Soarin.

'One.'

Rainbow blinked, returning her focus to her own lane and letting the world around her fade into obscurity. A visible veil of wind that was slowly forming before her now struggled to keep the power-house of color contained. Soon, it came to its limit.

Boom!

A deafening crack resounded through the stadium almost instantaneously. Her cyan hoof finally pierced the thin plastic sheet between Dash and the ultimate rush, sending a rainbow-colored ring of light and sound in all directions. A wave of force shot through the stadium, sharing the thrill of the event with the whole crowd. The four rapidly began to approach the finish line, vibrant streaks of cloud and color trailing behind all of them. A flash of light finally signaled the end of the race, and the four skid to a stop along the track. The crowd fell silent. The race was so close to the average pony's eye, but the four each already knew who won. Regardless, they waited for the announcer to receive the instant image and make the call.

"And it's Rainbow Dash by a hoof!"

The stands came to life with excitement as Rainbow Dash took a leap of victory, her wings keeping her in the air for a short moment. Touching back down, the other three came in to give their congratulations with a repetition of hoof-bumps. Rainbow Dash loved racing. The audience was nice, but they lost some of their luster over the years, representing little more than a garnish on the rush of flying at top speed.

"Great race, guys! First round of drinks is on me!" The other three gave a short holler before following Dash off the track.


It didn't take long for the team to get back to the competitor's lounge, where they settled in to enjoy some grub at the personal bar. Soarin made himself comfortable with a fresh baked pie and a bottle of Dos Caballos. Spitfire kept it to a simple plate of greens and glass of water. Rainbow Dash decided to binge a little for her win and get a bowl of fruit salad with a cup of nectar. Before cider, it was Rainbow's favorite alcoholic drink. She always had a thing for fruit-flavored poison.

"That sonic rainboom was pretty sweet, Dash. Never got to see one that close before." Lightning Dust commented playfully.

"All in a day's work," Rainbow Dash gloated, looking over to the most recent addition to the team. Lightning Dust had ordered steamed vegetables with a side of fruit and a bottle of hard lemonade. "You're not half-bad yourself, Lightning. I knew you were fast, but I didn't expect you to overtake Spits, here." Rainbow bumped elbows with Spitfire to poke harmless fun at her.

The other three shared in a chuckle while Spitfire gave them a small, but prideful smirk. "Keep laughing, you two. There's always going to be someone faster than you."

"Pfft. Not even on my worst day!" Rainbow boasted.

"I'd be willing to bet I could beat you on your worst day." Lightning commented before taking a drink.

"Them's racing words right there, Lightning." Rainbow shot back with a small grin.

Soarin took a moment to bump Spitfire for a short moment of her attention. "Fifty bits on Blonde-y." he said aloud without care.

"You're betting on the same pony as me, Soarin." came Spitfire with confidence.

"What do you say, Rainbow Dash? Are you feeling up to the challenge?" Lightning inquired. "That is, unless, you're just a big scared-y pony."

"Goading me like that won't win you any brownie points, Lightning Dust." Rainbow Dash commented, seeming a bit full of herself. Lightning looked to her a bit quizzically, which Dash noticed while she took a big drink of her nectar. A deep sigh of satisfaction escaped her before continuing, looking directly at her now. "I still haven't forgotten what got you booted from the academy, you know." Rainbow Dash's blunt words left Lightning looking a bit sour that she'd brought it up. But it was plain to see Rainbow had long sense let the act go. Nopony got hurt, but the principle was still there. It was a grievous misuse of ability.

Soarin looked to Spitfire inquisitively. But she just rolled her eyes. Soarin gave a small shrug and continued eating his pie enthusiastically.

"You can't still be bothered by that?" Lightning finally broke the off silence in the room.

"Nah. I was young and stupid once, too..." Rainbow started matter-of-factly. "I've put it behind me. But that doesn't mean I'll give you boasting rights before I see that you have changed. Keep working well with the team and I'll definitely take you up on your challenge." Rainbow Dash then casually held out a hoof towards Lightning.

Lightning Dust looked down to the hoof, and her confident demeanor returned, meeting it with her own hoof in a bump. "Don't keep me on the bench too long, Dash. You won't get any younger and I'd hate to be the reason you retire."

Rainbow laughed. "Me? Retire? Never! I was born for the race track and, by Celestia; I'll die on the race track."

"Buck..." Spitfire snickered as she closed her eyes, drawing the attention of the other three. She was trying to avoid drinking tonight, but Rainbow Dash always managed to get her blood pumping. "I'll drink to that. Hard nectar, please!" she called to the bar keep, who was quick to get her a mug of her desired drink. Spitfire raised the cup towards Rainbow and Lightning. "Here's to going out in a blaze of glory!"

"Buck yeah!" Rainbow exclaimed while she and Lightning both bumped their drink into Spitfire's, causing a small, collective splash to spill out onto the table. They each then took an equally long drink together, giving a deep and satisfying sigh in unison.

Soarin offered a hearty chuckle to the three kindred spirits. "You go ahead and have your dying glory on the race track. I plan on going out muzzle-deep in a hot pie!" That's when he gave a suggestive smirk to the others.

"You know, Spits, I never quite understood that." Rainbow began, grabbing Spitfire's attention.

"What's that?"

"How does a diamond dog like Soarin become Co-captain of the Wonderbolts?"

Lightning Dust tried holding back a laugh, but couldn't help a snicker.

"Hey! I represent that remark!" Soarin exclaimed in faux indignation.

"Don't you mean 'resent', Soarin?" Lightning Dust inquired.

"I know what I said," the stallion commented, making the joke more apparent. They all shared a small bit of laughter then before returning to their food.

After a bit of time passed, Rainbow Dash heard the door to the lounge open. Her multi-colored mane turned to look and see who it might be and gave a gasp as her eyes shrank. There, in the doorway, stood a familiar lavender alicorn with a sheepish grin. Dash noticed a couple of others she thought she might have met once or twice, but at that moment she was focused on the mare in front. "Hey, Twilight!"

"Rainbow Dash! It's good to-hurk!" Twilight was cut off when a blur of rainbow color sent Dash right up to wrap her hooves around Twilight. Twilight felt herself lift off the ground, Dash pulling the two into the air nearly without effort "Rainbow...! You're... crushing... me!"

"Oops, heheh," Rainbow realized what she was doing and quickly let Twilight plop down onto her flank. "Sorry, Twilight, it's hard to control my Wonderbolt strength sometimes." Cyan hooves firmly touched down to the ground, letting Rainbow Dash fold her wings back down. "So, what's going on, girl!? Last time I saw you was when you held a rally in Ponyville. Weren't you mayor or something?"

Twilight nodded with a smile. "Yes, I was. That race was great, too. It brought in some much-needed revenue to stimulate the town's economy."

"I'll bet the Apple Family got a pretty bit serving all their treats in the stands. I remember Applejack talking about having more bits than she knew what to do with. Speaking of, any of the others come with you? Who's all in the hall behind you, there?"

Twilight's smile shrank some as she shook her head. She didn't have the heart to tell her about Applejack. Not yet, anyways. She didn't want to ruin the good mood. "Unfortunately, everypony else was busy today."

Rainbow Dash sighed heavily. "Everypony is always too busy. At least I see them in the stands once in a while, I guess."

Twilight nodded some, and stepped in away from the door to let Skyla and Shining Armor enter. "Shining Armor came with me today, though. So did his daughter, Sklya. Skyla, this is Rainbow Dash."

After Twilight introduced the two, Skyla stared at Dash in awe. "Auntie Twilight told me you used to go on adventures together!" she exclaimed, hoping to get a story or two out of her.

"Hay yeah!" Rainbow replied, a grin of slight superiority plastering her demeanor. "We did do some pretty awesome stuff back in the hay day."

"She told me about how you defeated Luna when she was the wicked Nightmare Moon and the time that you each overcame the trials of Discord! Oo! And the evil King Sombra!"

Rainbow Dash blinked slightly, vaguely remembering something missing from that line-up. It then came back to her in an instant. "She didn't tell you about the time we chewed flank and kicked bubblegum when the changelings invaded Cadance's wedding?"

Skyla gasped in excitement, turning back to her father. "You didn't tell me they were there fighting with you!"

Shining's face turned cherry red from embarrassment, which prompted Rainbow Dash to fall onto her back in a fit of laughter. "Shining Armor? Fighting changelings!? Bwah-hahahaha!!" she managed to blurt in between gasps of breath.

Skyla's confusion quickly turned to a glare of scrutiny at Shining, who tried to avoid eye contact while nervously whistling. Twilight tried to hide her own small amount of blush and a chuckle behind her hoof. But nopony was fooling Skyla anymore. "Were you even there, Daddy?"

"I was!" Shining Armor shot back in an effort to piece his pride back together. But the harsh gaze of his daughter paired with the uncontrollably laughing rainbow behind her told him that he was pretty much busted. "... but, I may have glorified my role in the event with a garnish... or two..."

"Daaad!"

Finally coming down off of her laughing high with a slight pain in her side, Rainbow Dash got back up and put a hoof around Skyla's shoulders. "Don't worry about it, kid. I'll tell you all about what really happened."

The other three Wonderbolts, while enjoying the little show of excitement, were getting a little bored. So they slowly trotted passed the group, Lightning Dust taking a moment of Dash's attention. "Hey, Dash. Me and the others are gunna go find a nice patch of cloud to relax on for a while. You got the tab covered?"

Rainbow Dash raised a hoof to about chest-height, using a single brush-like motion. "Scout's honor, see you guys later!" she waved them off, before leading the others to the seats at the bar. "Now, where was I?"

"You were going to tell me what really happened at Daddy's wedding!"

"Right, right! You see, it all happened like this..."


Twilight and the others spent a good while talking about the good ol' days, weaving yarns together while Skyla drank in all that she could. After a couple of hours of entertaining story-telling, Twilight stole Rainbow Dash away from the adventure-drunk princess by offering to take her somewhere to catch up. Reluctantly, Sklya was peeled away by Shining Armor, who offered a place at the dinner table for them both when they were done. As the two friends traveled the bustling city streets, Twilight offered to treat them both at a cafe, but was talked into taking Rainbow Dash to her favorite bar she spent time in whenever she was in the Crystal Empire. The rainbow mare ordered another mug of hard nectar, having refrained from drinking anymore in the presence of Sklya. Twilight seemed content with a small cup of berry wine paired with a small helping of beer nuts.

They talked about what has all happened for each other since their last brief time together in Ponyville, Twilight actively straying away from talks about Applejack in every subtle way she could. Eventually, their discussion turned to recent events and Twilight felt fully comfortable and ready to make her offer.

"So, what else is new with you? I'm kinda surprised the Mayor of Ponyville found the spare time for a full day's stay in the Empire."

"Funny you should mention that, actually. I resigned from office yesterday. I'm just a regular alicorn now."

"Say what?" Rainbow Dash asked with general interest. She took another good drink before inquiring further. "Why'd you do that? I thought being Mayor meant a lot to you?"

"It did." Twilight replied simply, taking a sip of her glass using her magic. Once it was set back down, a lone peanut coated itself in her magenta aura and hovered into Twilight's mouth.

"So? What changed?" The impatient mare next to Twilight asked.

Twilight offered a big smile before continuing. "Celestia gave me a new task. She wants me to settle the old kingdom near an ancient relic, the Crystal Spire."

"Well, alright, Twilight! Finally getting your own kingdom and stuff! I was beginning to wonder if you'd ever fully embrace your princess-hood." Rainbow Dash turned to the bartender and waved for his attention. "Hey! How about you bring an order of hard nectar for the new princess-to-be?"

"Oh! No, no, no, no. My wine is fine enough, thank you." she denied passively, putting her hooves up in protest. In spite of her objections, a mug of frothed nectar slid before her, causing her to watch it hesitantly.

"C'mon, Twilight! Loosen up a little bit. Don't be a kill-joy!" Rainbow pressed on her friend playfully, taking another few gulps of her own. As if she was trying to show her how to enjoy hard alcohol.

Twilight looked over to Rainbow Dash, who honestly seemed to enjoy her cup of the brew. Purple eyes wandered back down to the mug before her, the bubbles slowly sliding down the side. Letting her guard down, Twilight took up the cup and pressed it to her lips to take a light drink of it. Suddenly, she felt Rainbow's hoof press down on top of hers and tilt the mug further.

"You drink nectar like this," she chuckled. After somewhat forcing down a few solid gulps, Rainbow let go of Twilight's mug, watching her set it down against the table firmly.

Twilight's eyes dilated as the last of the nectar in her mouth pushed down her throat. The strong aroma of alcohol burned in her nose. It had a hint of fruity flavor to it, but this was nearly overpowered by the fiery touch of the liquid, leaving her gullet feeling something in between the flavor of spicy and sour. When she finally drew in a sharp breath, Twilight's whole being tingled in an off way as she felt the odd warming sensation the nectar left in its wake. For a moment, it visibly frizzed her mane and tail, best characterized as what it would look like after a strong electro-static discharge from fleece. The experience overall was different, but Twilight was unsure if she cared for the rest of what was left.

Despite her indecision, seemingly without rhyme or reason, a smile curled her lips while Twilight's head gently swam through the air. Cheeks alight with a rosy-pink blush. She now pondered if she could let a gifted drink go to waste, before a hearty chuckle called her attention.

"Feels great, doesn't it?"

Twilight offered a small chuckle, unable to deny that much. "Can't say that it doesn't; although, I think I'll do without the helping-hoof next time." Twilight now opted to drink some more, in a less lady-like fashion. She grimaced at the overall flavor, But she enjoyed the warming feeling it gave her.

"Just wanted to make sure you got to have an honest buzz before you tie yourself down to royal duties at this new kingdom of yours. Be sure to let me know when you need the Wonderbolts to stimulate your economy. I'd love the chance to race a new track."

"Funny you should mention that. I actually have a proposition for you, Rainbow."

"Oh?" Rainbow took a moment to have another Drink. She noticed that Twilight ever so slightly pushed her nectar away to keep from getting too buzzed. Rainbow chuckled slightly. "I can take that if you don't want anymore." She should've known Twilight was a light-weight. Princesses were notorious for not being party ponies.

Twilight gave a sheepish grin and let her magic slide the mug over to Rainbow Dash, who took it and added the remnants to her own cup. "Thanks for the drink. It's just too much for me."

"Don't sweat it. Now, what's this offer?"

"Oh, right! Well, in order to settle a new kingdom, I'm going to need a sizable band of ponies. It would be great if I could have an experienced Pegasus, like you, help out." Twilight suggested subtly. Somehow, it didn't seem so hard to ask Rainbow Dash now. It was kind of relaxing, really. She slowly began to understand why Rainbow always celebrated with a drink. All the while, Twilight gave a comfortable smile in anticipation of Rainbow Dash's answer.

Rainbow Dash stopped in mid-gulp, swallowing hard and looking over to Twilight. Her light blush and blissful smile betrayed any seriousness Dash was looking for. Rainbow Dash looked to the side slightly, and then scratched one fore-leg with the other hoof. "I-... I don't know, Twilight. The thought is tempting, really. It's just that I've been with Spits and the other Wonderbolts for a while. I've been working towards becoming a Captain for a few years now..."

Twilight's smile quickly turned into the smallest of frowns. She tried to uphold a brighter demeanor, but that effort was simply in vain. "Oh. I see."

"Please, Twilight, don't look like that." Rainbow Dash nearly begged, feeling bad now. "If it had been a few years ago, I would have been all on board with it. It would be nice to maybe get everypony back together and do something fun and worthwhile. But, I've invested too much effort to my promotion to just cut and run for some good old adventure. Spits is pretty laid back once you get to know her, but I'd lose all of her respect if I didn't stick with it. Dedication is a big thing for her. I wouldn't be very loyal if I just did whatever I wanted..." Dash heaved a sigh, seeing Twilight slump down against the counter. Perhaps she shouldn't have gotten her hard alcohol.

Rainbow Dash moved over and put a hoof around Twilight's shoulders. "Listen, Twilight. I really wish I could just buck all and go with. If I could just go up and take my promotion right now, I would be there with you! Sometimes we get dealt a bad hoof and all we can do is make the best of it."

Twilight nodded as much as the counter would let her, letting Rainbow's words bounce around in her mind. Suddenly, a thought occurred to her and she lifted her head off the counter in subtle contemplation. Something bold came to mind. Right now, Twilight was fully willing to go bold. A small smile graced her lips again and she felt Rainbow Dash take her in to a sideways hug.

"There, that's better; all good, now?"

Twilight nodded. "Well, I guess you can't blame me for trying. I think I should be heading back though. I need to trot off this buzz. It was great hanging out with you, Rainbow."

"It was nice to hang out with you too, Twilight. I'll meet you back at the castle later, okay?"

Twilight nodded, getting off of her seat. She almost stumbled for a moment, but took the time to correct her shifted balance. She could hear a small giggle from Rainbow, to which Twilight shot a dirty smirk. "Take your time. Just promise me you won't show up drunk?"

Rainbow returned Twilight's dirty smile with one of her own. "Pinkie promise." The two shared one more laugh together before Rainbow Dash watched Twilight walk away. Refusing her offer was very hard for the Wonderbolt. But she had her own agenda to diligently follow.


Meanwhile...

A neon pink mare worked joyfully in a kitchen with two others: a yellow filly with a fluffy orange mane and a tan colt wearing a suave flowing brown mane. In the midst of her mixing a thick batter, the pink mare stopped when she felt a tingle in her nose. She turned away when it grew in intensity and finally released a sudden and startling sneeze. A hoof-full of confetti flew out and proceeded to flutter down to the ground. Pinkie watched as they did so, waiting until the last one hit the floor before looking up to the other two.

"You okay, Pinks?"

"Yup! One of my Pinkie Senses went off!" Pinkie hummed a tune while getting back to mixing the batter, naturally assuming the other two knew which one that was.

The other two looked to each other with slight confusion, and then back to Pinkie. "Which one was that?"

"When I sneeze, it means that someone just made a funny reference about me, silly!"

"Uh, don't you mean someone was talking about you?" As what the typical myth of randomly sneezing usually meant.

"Duh! You'd have to talk about me to make a funny reference about me!" She chimed cheerfully and then continued to hum.

The other two looked to each other and then shrugged with an off smile before getting back to their own work.


Meanwhile, back at the plot...

Twilight appeared near the stadium that held the race earlier that day, galloping off beyond the doors and down the halls. 'I just hope they're back here and haven't gone off for food yet...' she thought to herself. Soon enough, she reached the competitor's lounge and came to a halt before the door. Listening carefully, she could hear a slightly familiar female voice behind the door. 'Yes!' Twilight clapped her hooves together in hopeful excitement. 'I hope this works...'

Twilight took a moment to make sure she looked proper before knocking her hoof against the door and waiting patiently. She would have simply walked in like she did earlier, but it didn't feel right knowing that Rainbow Dash wasn't behind the door this time.

Spitfire was sharing in a fun little game of poker with the other two Wonderbolts still there. She loved to play poker with the others. Even Rainbow Dash couldn't best her at the game of cards. A steely stare came up from her hoof, looking over the other two like a lion watching its prey. She remained perfectly stoic and unreadable, even after hearing some knocks at the door. While Soarin tried his best to exercise his own poker face and Lightning Dust generally using an expression of boredom to hide her hoof, Spitfire calmly placed her cards down, but not before tossing in a few bits. "I raise three. Let me go check the door really quick."

Lightning Dust sighed as she tossed her hoof to the table, a poor combination of cards revealing themselves. "I'm out."

Soarin grumbled slightly, setting his hoof face down. "I'm out." he said reluctantly. All he had was a pair of eights. Noticing that Spitfire didn't look back, Soarin leaned over the table to sneak a peek at Spitfire's winning hoof. His jaw dropped to see that Spits only had a queen-high. Lightning Dust laughed silently, while Soarin cursed his luck. "Sometimes, I think her cutie mark should have been poker-related..." he mumbled to himself.

Spitfire opened the door, finally expressing slight surprise to see the princess standing behind it. "Princess Twilight? What brings you around here?"

"Can I come in? I was hoping to talk about something with you."

"Ohf!" Spitfire backed away slightly, placing a hoof over her nose. She hadn't expected her nose to be assaulted by the scent of hard alcohol.

Twilight's slight blush grew more apparent. "Sorry! Rainbow Dash... kinda made me down some hard nectar."

"Probably should've warned you about that... yeah, come on in Princess. What did you want to talk about?"

"I wanted to talk about Rainbow Dash's promotion," she began bluntly, while walking in so that Spitfire could close the door.

"Excuse me?" Spitfire retorted sharply, earning the attention of the other two in the room. Spitfire let the door close by itself and came to stand before Twilight as she turned around to face her. She didn't much care for other ponies telling her how to do her job, but she decided to humor herself by letting the princess speak her piece before making judgements. "I hope Dash didn't put you up to this."

"Not at all. May I explain?" Spitfire gave her a stare that signaled open ears with moderate interest. Twilight cleared her throat some, attempting to take on some of her former mentor's natural ability to move the conversation peacefully in her desired direction. "You see, I have been tasked to found a new kingdom far into the South and I was hoping that we could discuss the opportunity that this presents."

"Opportunity?" Spitfire asked sternly, but still with mild interest.

"Yes, of course. I have an opportunity to expand the reaches of the Wonderbolts." Twilight noticed that Spitfire raised a brow and mentally did a hoof-pump. It was working well so far. "You see, as the new kingdom builds up over the years, the number of pegasi will grow with it. While I'm sure that the life of a humble weather pony is fine enough for most, there will be those who will wish to test their merit as a Wonderbolt. That being said, until I can construct a safe and reliable means for ponies to travel to and from the kingdom, the cost for young fillies and colts to get to the closest academy may prove to be too much. I had originally planned to come to you and discuss Soarin's ability to start up and maintain a branch for my kingdom-to-be. That being said, Rainbow Dash told me that she's been working on her promotion for a while now; I was hoping that I could inquire if hers could be expedited in any way, for favor of having as many ponies as possible that I know and trust. Being the element of Loyalty, I don't believe I could ask for a better Pegasus to lead this new branch. She is also very experienced in weather control and would be able to lead other weather ponies with efficiency."

Spitfire actually took a moment to consider all that Twilight said. It certainly seemed like a sound judgement on her part, but, there was just one problem for her. "I wish I could, Princess Twilight, but the simple fact of the matter is that I cannot break protocol for you friend. She still has a full month to go before her promotion can be arranged. In addition, Rainbow Dash still has to prove she has the ability to be a Captain."

Twilight heaved a mental sigh, but decided to persist a little further. "Are you certain there is nothing I can do?"

"No can do, Princess. Not even your royal stamp of approval could move the deadline up."

"Oh, just give Dash her promotion, Spits!" Soarin called, gaining the attention of everypony else. "You know, just as well as I do, that Rainbow Dash was due for her promotion a week ago."

"Soarin!" Spitfire hissed.

Just when all hope seemed lost, Twilight finally saw a light at the end of the tunnel. All she had to do was chase it! She now looked down on Spitfire with somewhat of a glare, as if demanding an explanation. This caused Spitfire to pause in her thoughts. "Is this true?"

Spitfire hesitated to respond, deciding to simply explain her reasoning. "Princess, being Captain isn't just about speed and saving a few ponies. It takes teamwork and dedication. It is a labor of love. Not unlike being a princess. I have to do whatever I can to make sure any and all candidates are tested to their full extent. Only then can I make a sound judgement. Right now, I'm sorry to say, but I haven't seen Rainbow Dash's full commitment."

Twilight cast a discerning eye over Spitfire, evaluating the logic behind her reason. After a few moments, Twilight looked up to Soarin. "You are the Co-Captain, Soarin. What are your thoughts on the matter?"

Soarin took a moment to leave his chair, heading over to stand beside Spitfire, who he could tell was shooting daggers with her eyes. "Honestly, Princess, Spits has pushed Dash's deadline three times already. While her method is proven, I think Rainbow has stuck with the program exceptionally well. I don't see any reason to stall her promotion if it means we can reach out to your kingdom and give a helping-hoof. Rainbow Dash is quality Captain-material if I ever did see it, Princess."

"Thank you, Soarin." Twilight then looked over to Spitfire, who didn't look too happy about having her authority undermined. "What do we need to make this official?"


Rainbow Dash showed up to the dining hall in the castle, having been guided by a pair of guards. She was running a little late, so she wasn't surprised to see Shining Armor, Cadance, and Skyla all set at the table and waiting. What did surprise her was not see Twilight there with them. "Hey, everypony. Sorry I'm late..." Dash paused before the table as Shining dismissed her escorts. She looked around the hall a little bit, before giving her attention back to Shining. "Where's Twilight at?"

"I thought she'd be with you?" Shining Armor replied, starting to feel a little concern take hold now.

Rainbow Dash shook her head slightly. "She left the bar a while ago to trot off her buzz. I figured I'd given her enough time by now."

"That's strange. It's not like Twilight to be late..." Shining Armor turned to Cadance, as if somehow she might know where his sister disappeared to.

Cadance felt a little worry as well. But she simply took in a breath with a hoof to her chest, extending it out with her exhale. "I'm certain Twilight will be here shortly, Dear."

Allowing some of his worry to leave him, Shining Armor offered a nod. "Perhaps I should send out a couple of guards, just to be safe. It shouldn't be too hard for a couple of Pegasi to spot her."

"I hope I didn't keep you all waiting on me." Twilight called as she entered from a separate hallway, the other Wonderbolts under wing.

"Twily!" Shining called back, going over to make sure she was alright. "You had us wondering for a minute, there." Relieved, Shining brought his attention to her crew. "I didn't expect you to have company, either."

"We wont be long, Prince Armor." Soarin commented.

"So, what are you guys doing here, anyway?" Rainbow questioned with general interest as she trotted up before them.

Spitfire looked over to Soarin, who gave an approving nod. She then stepped forward, stopping directly in front of Rainbow Dash. "Normally, I have a more formal process for this. That being said, given some circumstances that were brought to my attention, I decided it would be good enough to just give you this in person." Spitfire took a sealed letter from Lightning Dust, who had been holding on to it for her. The letter was passed on to Rainbow Dash, whose eyes visibly widened upon receiving it. Spitfire watched as the mare opened it with the greatest of care and looked upon her letter of promotion. Signed, stamped, sealed, and ready for framing. "Congratulations, Rainbow Dash. You're now a Captain, fully ready to head your own branch, if you wish."

"Ohmygosh, ohmygosh, ohmygosh, ohmygosh, ohmygosh!!" Rainbow Dash sounded off her excitement while taking advantage of the wide-open space in the hall to fly a chaotically elaborate pattern in the air. After she was able to calm down enough to stay in one spot, Rainbow looked over to Twilight's awfully proud demeanor and gave a sly grin. "You had something to do with this, didn't you Twilight?"

"I may have pulled some strings..." Twilight's eyes rolled over to look towards Soarin, who just gave a subtle wink. Silently, Twilight gave him her gratitude before her attention was reclaimed by the cyan mare, who lifted the alicorn up into another tight bear hug. "You are the best friend a pony could ask for! I'd definitely go with you on the adventure, if the offer is still open."

"Of course it is, Rainbow." Twilight was ready for Rainbow's strength this time and toughed through the tight embrace.

"Don't get too full of yourself, Dash." Spitfire began, drawing their attention. She waited until Rainbow Dash let Twilight back down onto her hooves again. "We may be equals now, but I expect nothing less than perfection from you. Keep me informed of your progress and give me visible improvement with each report. Come inspection date, I will personally oversee the detail. I will not hesitate to send your flank right back to the academy if I even suspect you're slacking. Don't think for a moment that I can't attain the power to do so either."

"Yes, Ma'am! I'll do my best, Ma'am!" Rainbow Dash saluted with respect.

"I'll be the judge of that." She then turned to take her leave with the others. "Keep your outfit tight, Dash. I look forward to our next visit."

"Don't forget my challenge, Dash." Lightning called, as her own little 'goodbye for now'.

"Keep it real, guys!" Once they left, Rainbow Dash looked back down to the letter in her hooves. "Captain Rainbow Dash. It even sounds as good as it looks!" With great care, Rainbow folded the letter and placed it back into the envelope, gently tucking it in the fold of her wing to keep it close and safe. "Getting this promotion reminds me of the story of how I decided I wanted to be a Wonderbolt..."

"Tell us, Rainbow Dash!" Skyla implored enthusiastically.

"Oh boy. What have I gone and done?" Twilight replied playfully, joining everypony at the table with Rainbow Dash beside her.

Author's Note:

Chapter two!

So, I wasn't able to get into college this semester. But that's okay, just means I'll have more time to write. :3

Also, Flash Sentry! Yay! Yeah... ! Whoo... !
Silence
Okay, so maybe Flash Sentry doesn't like you either! :P lol

All kidding aside, I've got big plans for this guard pony. Love him or hate him, he's gunna start getting more and more... uhm... "screen time". I guess that still kinda works, you're all reading this on a screen, lol.

Skyla was a hard pony to figure out. I wasn't sure how exactly to portray the heir to the throne. After several hours of development, I decided to go for a combination of innocence and exuberance.

And before anybody asks, yes. Rainbow Dash's race was a single lap. It was more along the lines of a sprint, really. Or maybe, dare I say? A dash. Mwua-hahahahaha! X3

Missing anything else? Don't think so... well, as always, enjoy the story! :3

EDIT:
Newly improved Chapter 2 is brought to you with the help of themanesix, one of my new proof-readers! :3

And also, because I apparently forgot, a shout out to all those who have helped! You know who you are. :raritywink:

Enjoy your read!