• Published 6th Jan 2014
  • 2,077 Views, 90 Comments

The Last Letter - ManestreamStudios



Twenty years into the future, the Elements of Harmony have grown apart in their bid to attain their dreams. But when Princess Celestia has one more task for them, the Mane Six band together for one last adventure.

  • ...
8
 90
 2,077

The Song of a New Day

The Last Letter - Chapter 1: The Song of a New Day

The bright beams of an early morning sun danced across the frame of a lavender mare as she lay in a deep and comforting dream. As the warmth crept farther and farther up her body, she shifted under her covers in a subconscious effort to delay the inevitable. It wasn't until the sunlight began to envelope her face, that the fight for sleep was lost. Lazily, purple eyes stirred open with a heavy sigh escaping under the guise of a grunt while she forced herself to her hooves.

Twilight had not always exactly been a morning pony. And though her aging was more graceful than most could hope for, it did nothing for her early morning rises. But, as she plopped down off the bed and began to stretch, a small smile of what she could best describe as youthful excitement for this new day hung comfortably across her demeanor. After all, today was a special day for her. Princess Celestia had made plans to visit Twilight for an important discussion over lunch.

It wasn't all too uncommon for her former mentor to schedule trips to Ponyville to make small talk and catch up under the guise of discussing politics. However, today felt like it was going to be different. Maybe it was because today started the weekend. Perhaps it was because this meeting wasn't scheduled days in advance, or even that the letter announcing her coming was more personal than it was formal. Either way, Twilight looked forward to the meeting regardless of circumstance, as it was rare for the busy mare to meet up with her beloved princess anymore.

Twilight went through a mental checklist of her daily morning routine, starting out first with the brushing of her mane while she preened her wings. This was followed with a slightly more casual up-do with her hair while her teeth were scrubbed to maintain their pristine condition. After having spent adequate time to uphold a tidy physical appearance, Twilight descended from her bedroom and into the kitchen, where an actual checklist lay for the mare to make sure her mornings started perfectly.

Enveloping them in her soft purple magic, the scroll unraveled partially while a quill drifted from its ink well. Markings scratched into their appropriate boxes for having completed the first few tasks, while nimble eyes drifted down to find what would be for breakfast this morning. To her delight, it would be oats paired with an apple. Nothing at all fancy, but it would be quick and easy. Which would give her more time to spend with Celestia. Mild excitement painted across her face while her magic prepared the breakfast. A casual glance was shot to a nearby window, where the sun dominated a clear sky. As if she could be heard, Twilight let out a soft bid.

"Good morning, Celestia."


High upon her balcony in the ivory castle, Princess Celestia slowly rose the sun after her sister finished lowering the moon. It seemed like today would be a grand day as she scanned the horizon. She didn't see or hear Luna fly from her balcony over to this one, but she didn't need to. A strong, sisterly bond like theirs sometimes didn't even require spoken words, but just a presence and a glance to synchronize their thoughts. Through this innate sixth sense, Celestia could tell that Luna was there, and something was bothering her. Before the sun alicorn could debate whether she should be the first to break up the silence, her sister's concern pierced the ice in the cool morning air between them.

"Good morning, dear sister," Luna began, notes of doubt and concern lining her tone.

"Good morning," Celestia replied while taking one last look across her kingdom. A small smile forming as she eyed Ponyville, as if greeting it too.

The ivory mare then turned to face Luna, seeing the troubled look on her face. "Is something bothering you, Luna?" she asked with considerable curiosity in her voice. However, she already knew what it was that Princess Luna was worried about.

Luna looked down slightly in hesitation. She knew Celestia would easily counter her woes. But she needed additional reassurance. An ill feeling or two nagged at the back of her mind, and she hoped her sister might be able to finally lay it to rest. "It is about Twilight. Are you certain it is for the best, Sister? Do you truly believe she and her friends are up for it? Our land is still filled with dangerous beings, and they are the Elements of Harmony-"

"Precisely why, dear Luna, they are fully capable and ready for one last task," Celestia interjected before Luna could finish out her concerns. Normally, she would not be so bold as to cut her sister off like that, but they've discussed the subject a few times before, and Luna's worries have not changed since the idea had first come up. Celestia understood her sister's concerns, but she has also quelled them several times now.

Celestia remained patient, however. If there was any one thing that she has learned in her life, it was that patience bore the sweetest fruit. While Luna allowed her frustrations to surface, Celestia permeated an air of soothing calm with a small, humble smile gracing her lips. "I am sorry, Luna. Truly. I shouldn't have interrupted you that way. But we have been over this before. You know just as well as I that Twilight and her friends are more than ready for this."

Luna still seemed to be a little bothered by having been cut off, but she remembered to keep in mind that Celestia loved and respected her more than any other. She also understood that it was likely annoying to have the same conversation over and over again. Secretly, she admired Celestia's ability to keep a level head. Luna guessed that to be why she was the bearer of kindness and generosity.

Once those thoughts entered her mind, Luna quickly changed from an annoyed expression to a downtrodden one. "No, Tia. I am sorry. I should not doubt your judgements so much. But I just can't help this feeling that we should give it more time! The ponies of our generation could not handle the responsibilities of the Crystal Spire. I'm fearful that they cannot either..." Luna finally admitted what weighed the heaviest on her conscious.

Celestia raised a hoof, as if Luna's fear was a physical presence with which she could pluck from the air between them, and destroy it as she placed her hoof back down. "I thank you for being honest with me," She began, which gained her a small blush at a fond memory from Luna. Celestia then gave a quick nod, silently asking her sister to come by her side. Luna hesitantly came over while Celestia slowly turned so they both faced their kingdom. "Look out there, sister. What do you see?"

Luna gave her sister an unsure expression, curious as to what point she could make. But, looked out over their land with a wonder-filled stare. As if scanning the horizon for Celestia's point, Luna's eyes wondered between visible landmarks. Until her gaze came all the way down to Canterlot, watching the ponies go about their busy day. She spied a business mare coming out of a cafe, juggling a coffee container and a danish in her magic. Over on another corner, a dingy stallion humbly went on washing the window of a restaurant. While some of the more posh in the populace enjoyed fine early dining under the glory of the morning sun.

Unable to tell what she was suppose to be looking for, she came to the only conclusion she could muster before turning back to Celestia. "All I see is a typical morning in Equestria."

Celestia gave a soft chuckle, holding out her hoof as if to introduce the land to eyes which have never seen it before. "Look again, Luna. Look harder..." she replied, placing a subtle emphasis in her last word.

Luna looked out again, eyes searching for the lock in which the key from the stressed word belonged to. This time, Luna did as her sister asked and nimbly scanned their land once again. Luna felt a little bit of frustration, wishing she could see what Celestia saw. All Luna could see was a land that was only vaguely familiar to her.

Before her banishment, there were not as many cities over the land. The air was louder back then, too. Filled with the incoherent mumbles and hums of a seemingly different society. Starting to feel the fatigue from her night post, Luna closed her eyes as she heaved a sigh. Drinking in the calmer air of her current time. It was in this moment that she began to sense it. A gentle breeze she hadn't felt before caressed her fur and ethereal mane. A bird sang an upbeat tune to celebrate its life in the distance. It was peaceful.

Luna opened her eyes suddenly at the thought, and looked over the land once more. Instead of focusing in on landmarks or specific noises, she looked out over Equestria as a whole. Allowing the sight and sound to flood her senses, the alicorn began to feel the warmth of a homely feeling fill her being to the brim.

Luna now felt that she might have the answer her sister seeked. Or, at least, one more closer to it. "I'm not sure that I see what you mean yet, Tia... but. I do sense a change. It's almost... peaceful." A small, content smile plastered the princess' face now, as if admiring the fruits of her labor.

Celestia nodded some before looking back out to the horizon. "Yes, Sister. Exactly," she praised. "It is the peace of our land that you see and hear. Ponies no longer hate and resent each other, but extend love and friendship to even the strangest of strangers. From the buffaloes beyond Apple Loosa, to the crystal ponies of Cadance's empire. Many even stay up to watch and admire the stars. The darkness of night is no longer something feared like it was when we were younger.

"This is why I believe it is time that we reclaimed the Crystal Spire. Equestria will never be more ready for that responsibility than now. And nopony is better suited to care for, and oversee the Spire than Twilight and her friends.

"Has your mind been made more at ease now, Luna?" Celestia Asked.

Princess Luna hung on the thought for a moment, but nodded slowly. "I am still a bit... apprehensive about it. But, significantly less so than before. Thank you, Celestia."

The two sisters shared a heartfelt nuzzle of their cheeks together before Luna pulled back with a yawn. Keeping a hoof before her mouth until it passed, Luna betrayed her regal composure further by lazily smacking her lips. "I will definitely rest easier today than I did yesterday. Good day, Celestia. I shall see you at dusk."

"Good day, Luna. Rest well." As her bedroom door closed, Celestia couldn't help a small chuckle that escaped under her breath. In all the time that she and Luna ruled together, it still felt comically odd to bid her sister 'Good day', when everypony else typically said 'Good night' to their sleepy friends and family. Speaking of comically odd...

Celestia finally got up off of her haunches and exited her room. Just a short trotting distance from her door stood a guard, whom she beckoned over.

"Yes, your highness?" The guard gave a short bow before awaiting orders.

"Please have my chariot prepared. I have an important appointment with the mayor soon."

"Right away, your highness," he replied before saluting Celestia.

While the guard trotted off to take care of business, Celestia shrank back into her room for a small bit of grooming and a good meal to prepare herself for the day ahead.


As mid-day quickly approached, Twilight decided to take some time away from her paperwork to grab a couple of things for Celestia's impending visit. On her way to the local market, ponies in every direction greeted her with all manner of social niceties.

"Good morning, Princess Twilight!"

"Wonderful weather, Princess Twilight!"

"Hello, Princess!"

"Hello there!" Twilight replied to her latest greeting with sincerity.

In the back of her mind, she'd never fully accepted becoming an Alicorn. And, there in, a princess. It was hard for her to understand how everypony's mannerisms shifted around her since. But she learned to get use to being addressed with her high title over the years. Not before she managed to get everypony to stop dropping what they were doing simply to bow, however.

"Looking great, Mayor Sparkle!" a young filly called, trotting along with her mother.

"Thank you!" she returned the comment with a grin.

Now that was a title Twilight had no problem being addressed by. It had been a long time since Twilight ran in the election after Mayor Mare stepped down. The heated debates with her competition were still fresh in her memory. The title of Mayor was something that Twilight had worked hard for. It was kind of disappointing that only the most recent generation see her as Mayor while everypony else still called her Princess. But she has long learned to let ponies call her what made them comfortable. Some liked Princess, others liked Mayor.

Approaching the stand she was looking for, the vendor gave his own warm greeting, to which Twilight returned before producing a hoof-full of bits and placed them on the makeshift counter top. "A jar of Jasmine, please."

The rugged stallion smiled while reaching down, pulling out a jar of dried jasmine blossoms which he slid across the counter. "That Carl's Jasmine blend sure is popular today, Princess."

Twilight gave a warm smile, taking the jar carefully into the care of her magic. "Oh? Perhaps Princess Celestia has made other appointments in Ponyville today." she bantered playfully.

The vendor offered a cheeky grin before waving Twilight off. "Enjoy your tea, Princess Twilight."

Twilight gave a casual wave back before facing forward again. Trotting along joyfully, almost as if to an upbeat tune, Twilight took in the simple pleasure that came with being the Mayor of Ponyville. It was a rural town, bearing only the essentials and a small amount of luxuries. But that was the beauty of this town. It was simple, and uncomplicated.


The purple alicorn moved briskly around the interior of town hall, setting the scene for her and Celestia's little get-together. Twilight, now, seemed nearly a stark contrast to her former self years ago. She remembered her first visitation from Celestia after becoming Mayor. Running around like a wild goose, checking and double-checking that everything was perfect. Triple-checking, even. However, her many lessons and trials have molded her into a more calm and collected mare.

She hummed a soft tune to herself while a few feather dusters floated around the place, dusting out the corners and surfaces. Meanwhile, a short wooden table wrapped in a magenta aura glided from its storage spot. The table touched down near the center of the hall, along with a couple of plush red pillows which settled down on either side. Large and fluffy enough for two royal tushies.

A small tea set quickly followed suit after the table and pillows, an ornate gift from Rarity for having won the election. These decorated the empty counter space between the two pillows. While the dusters put themselves away, Twilight came over to the table with her jar of tea and opened it. A small helping floated out of its container and into the kettle. Twilight gave it a moment to settle into the water, before zapping the kettle with a spell. Right before her eyes, the water heated up and let off a gentle steam, before it was lidded to trap in the warmth and aroma.

Twilight then checked to make sure the sugar and milk container both held fresh and adequate quantities of optional additive. Once done, her rump plopped heavily onto the claimed pillow seat. Her horn glowed once more, and a list came into view with a quill. Unraveling slowly whilst items were checked off, these disappeared back to their original spot before Twilight gave a content sigh. "Now, to wait for Celestia."

Almost as if on que, Twilight spied the golden chariot glimmering in the sun through a window as it descended into Ponyville. Within a few moments of it having left her view, Twilight heard it touch down and stop just beyond the door. One or two of the guards gave a nicker, and a couple words were said before the door opened. Twilight watched as Celestia let herself in and shut the door with her golden yellow magic.

The two exchanged a fond smile, Twilight quickly getting back up to meet Celestia half-way and engage in a warm embrace. "Princess Celestia! You're just in time. Tea will be done momentarily."

"It's good to see you again as well, Twilight." When the hug was finished, Celestia took a moment to look over the mare before her. "I see you have grown in these recent years. You must be as tall as Cadance now."

"Hmhm. Last I checked, Cadance still has me beat by an inch." The two giggled slightly as they went back towards the table. Thinking about it now, Twilight never really noticed the difference before. She knew she was taller, but she didn't actually feel any taller until after having shared her embrace with Celestia. It wasn't nearly as hard to wrap a hoof around her former mentor's shoulder anymore.

Once the two sat down, magenta-colored magic got to work pouring the tea into both cups. Twilight then gently stirred in one sugar and a splash of milk, while Celestia raised her own up to enjoy it straight and fresh.

She recognized the blend right away, as Twilight always made jasmine tea for their visits. It was quite the cup of delight. "Ponyville seems to be doing well under your rule," Celestia began, breaking the silence.

Twilight gave a soft chuckle. "Oh, Celestia, I hardly rule Ponyville." Her mentor always knew how to lighten the air in a conversation. Twilight liked that about Celestia. "I just... gently nudge it in the right direction. Ponyville has become quite efficient at operating itself."

"I see," Celestia replied before taking another small drink. After a moment, Celestia began to notice the soft glow about Twilight. "Is there anypony special in your life?" The ivory alicorn was pretty sure she knew the answer to that question, but it would be fun to bring it up once more. She always asked during each visit, hoping that one day her answer might be different.

Twilight paused abruptly in mid-sip. Taking a moment to place her cup down and clear her throat. A subtle rosy blush dusted her cheeks as she looked away. "You and Mom always ask that every chance you get. I'm starting to think you two are in cahoots with each other..."

Celestia gave a sultry smirk at a thought. "You know, I could always set up a more personal introduction for you with Prince Blueblood. I've always hoped he might find a fetching mare who would set him straight..."

This time, Twilight all but gagged on her tea, while Celestia let out a deeply amused giggle. Twilight could feel her face flush as she pushed herself to regain some composure. That bit of tea went down hard before she could speak again. She remembered meeting the pompous Prince Blueblood once before, and heard of Rarity's encounter with him many times. Knowing his character, the purple mare was hard pressed to find him even remotely attractive in any way. "I'm just going to pretend I didn't hear you suggest him," she replied with a hint of unease in her tone. Still, she could see the humor of the notion, and expressed a smile to acknowledge the joke.

After taking a moment to completely gather herself, Twilight let her cup set back down on the table again to look up to Celestia curiously. "I'm hoping you didn't schedule this visit to talk about my love life. Or lack there of. Given the contents of the letter, I was worried that the nature of your visit might be something more... urgent?"

Celestia took a moment to finish her tea and set her cup down. It seemed she was contemplating how to start off the conversation. But it only took her a moment to speak up once more, giving Twilight the impression that she'd had plenty of time to go over her approach. "Do you recall the book I gifted you for last Hearth's Warming?"

Twilight seemed a bit perplexed by the sudden shift of topic. But she knew Celestia too well to protest, so she thought about it for a moment. "Ah, yes! Magical Myths and Mysteries. It was quite the interesting read. Though, I could tell it was among the first of the reprints. Some of the factual knowledge we know now was not present in the book, and there were some typographical errors here and there.

"The one I found to be the most intriguing was the Crystal Spire. I could tell whoever wrote this was thinking of the Crystal Empire. But this pony had some pretty off ideas on what it actually looked like. I figured that they just never got a very up-close look at Cadance's castle before it disappeared. They got pretty close though."

Celestia gave Twilight a certain smirk uncharacteristic to her usual expressions. From Twilight's best guess, it was a smirk of knowing something that Twilight didn't, and Celestia was reveling in it. Twilight returned the off smirk with that of cautious wonder.

Before she could say something, though, Celestia spoke up first. "Very intuitive, Twilight. It is true, that copy was an early one. But you've underestimated how early. That book was the first in its series to be written, and was given to me by the hoof that wrote it... the day that I became Princess Celestia."

Celestia could see the gears turning behind Twilight's eyes as she began to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

Before long, the young mare gasped in realization. "But...! That would mean the book you gave me was written before Equestria was founded!"

The brilliant ivory pony gave a gentle nod in confirmation. "Nopony had ever traveled far enough north to discover the Crystal Empire back then."

"But, how can that be? The descriptions were far too vivid to be myth and legend!" Twilight took on a characteristic amount of fluster now, trying to wrap her mind around the revelation. The notion of this Crystal Spire was now difficult to rationalize.

"The Crystal Spire is certainly no myth. But, back then, it was quite the mystery..." Celestia saw Twilight's eyes gleam as she looked back at her.

The purple mare was overflowing with questions, but seemingly without the voice to speak them. Then, a thought seemed to occur to the her. "You've seen the Crystal Spire before, haven't you?"

Her mentor simply gave a soft nod. Twilight no longer doubted its existence. But a plethora of new questions burned in place of that one inside her mind. "But... where?"

"The Crystal Spire exists near the heart of the previous three nations. It was a magical, mysterious crystal construct which held the natural ability to spread light and love in a comfortable veil across the land. This property of the Spire made it sacred to the ponies, and only a select few were allowed near it."

"But I don't understand..." Twilight began, taking this new information in to account. "If this Crystal Spire could spread love over the land... how was it that the three nations could bicker so strongly that it drew the attention of Windigos?"

"Isn't mystery a wonderfully complicated thing?" Celestia replied simply. The young mare put a hoof to her chin in deep thought. But, before she could get too lost within her mind, Twilight's attention was drawn to Celestia as she spoke more. "This is why I have arranged a meeting today on such short notice. I have watched you grow into a strong, smart, beautiful mare over these many years."

Twilight allowed a light, rosy blush to pepper her cheeks again at the compliment. Paired with a big, toothy grin.

"Not just you. All of your friends, and the whole of Equestria have grown into a loving and caring society. Thus, I feel that we are ready to reclaim what was once ours. It is a task I do not take lightly, however. I would only entrust it to you.

"So, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to lead a group of ponies willing to settle in the old land and found a new kingdom. Which you will rule."

Twilight took some time to think about the offer. It was a hard decision to make. Ponyville was her home, and she its mayor. A responsibility that she couldn't simply drop on a bit. On the other hoof, life was growing increasingly dull and lonely here as well. She could feel an emptiness within her where the love and friendship she shared with the others once resided. Part of her longed for the opportunity to share in an adventure with them again. And this might be her last chance to do just that.

After some time, Twilight found the offer too tempting to refuse. Her bones whined at the chance for excitement, and her mind wondered into the possibility of getting to analyze such a mysterious crystal construct.

"I accept," Twilight finally answered with the fire of determination in her eyes. "Under one condition."

"I'm listening."

"I would like to personally hoof-pick who goes." Twilight offered a cheesy grin, to which Celestia couldn't refuse.

"I see no reason why not," Celestia replied with a knowing smile. "Take as long as you need. I suspect you'll want time to visit your family and friends." Her protege nodded in a grateful way. "I have already discussed this with Luna and Cadance. The three of us have agreed to assign you six guards to start off your own personal detail. Two from each of us. If you visit Shining Armor in the Crystal Empire first, you may get your first two. Choose and care for them well, Twilight. In return, they will serve you in kind."

"Thank you, Princess Celestia. I wont let you down." Twilight expressed her gratitude.

"I suspect you wont, my dear Princess Twilight." The two shared in another heart-warming embrace, which lasted longer than the first.

When the they had their fill beside the table, Twilight parted from her coveted sun princess and began to organize her thoughts. "I wish we had more time, but I must get to work. I'll need to fill out the paperwork for my resignation from the office, and compile a list of things I'll need and ponies to talk to.

"If I start my journey with the Crystal Empire, I'll be able to fluidly work my way down south to Apple Loosa. Once there, we can use the train to take us part way, and then hoof it the rest of the way in a wagon caravan." Twilight might have just found out the truth to the Crystal Spire, but she needed no direction when it came to the kingdoms of old. She already knew plenty enough to know her destination was far south.

Celestia nodded, following Twilight to the door so she could head back and finish out her own work for the day. "Luna and I will clear some time in our schedule for your arrival to Canterlot. Just let us know when you'll be there."

"I will. Thank you."


As it reached closer to the end of the day, and the sun began to slowly disappear behind the horizon, Twilight could hardly contain her excitement. Having dropped her position as mayor on a bit, and mentally thrust herself headlong into the mission, gave her a strong feeling of euphoria. Or, at least, what she could only describe to be euphoria. Enthusiasm leaked from every fiber of her being, and she even got a moderate rush from it. It was exhilarating to say the least.

She wanted to save Applejack for last. She was suppose to be, if Twilight were to extend her offer to each of her friends in order of north-to-south locations. But she had been so enthralled by the mission that not even her organized approach towards the gathering of her friends seemed to matter.

Twilight was oddly cheerful as she cantered down the beaten path to Sweet Apple Acres. Perhaps the fact that she would not see Ponyville for a long while, or much of her familiar territory in Equestria, had not hit her in full yet. But, it's not like she would never see any of it ever again. She could always visit.

The real world suddenly hit the young princess like a fence post, having trotted right into one of the vertical beams which held up the family farm sign. Twilight fell back onto her flank as she quickly put both fore-hooves to her face. After the small pain began to subside, Twilight chuckled a bit to herself. "I shouldn't get so swept up into this. How would it look to my subjects if I ran into something every time I got excited?" she asked herself rhetorically.

None-the-less, Twilight eagerly got back onto her hooves and looked up to the Apple House, watching as light gently floated from inside the structure. For the moment, she had to focus on Applejack. Part of her began to wonder how the strong, southern-styled mare would take this. Applejack was a family-oriented pony, and would likely be rooted to the orchard for it.

But, at the same time, she also knew that Applejack had been rather unhappy in recent years. She'd become something of a recluse. At least, that's what Twilight heard from the connections she had left. Come to think of it, she hasn't seen Applejack running the stand in the market for a while, now.

Deep down, Twilight wondered what it was that might have caused AJ to become like that. But, she was always too busy to find out. Even then, she'd been told that Applejack is rather guarded about the subject as well.

Twilight shook off her worry like a dog shook off water, head shaking some for no other apparent reason. Whatever it was that Applejack let bother her, Twilight was sure she wouldn't let it get between herself and the group. They were all friends, after all. Friends forever! Nothing ever got between them, and there was no problem they couldn't tackle! Once Twilight's strong conviction set in, she merrily strolled across the property.

When she reached the front door, her hoof rapped against it three times. Twilight began to make a conscious effort to filter her enthusiasm when she realized that she might have knocked too loud. Still, she heard the shuffling of hooves moving towards the door on the inside, being greeted with Big Mac's emerald eyes.

Twilight would be lying if she said she'd never thought about Big Macintosh in a romantic way once or twice. He was a strong, well-mannered stallion. Yet, humble and gentle at the same time. But, Twilight was certainly no love-struck foal for him. The two existed in nearly opposite worlds. Where Big Mac would be content with the apple orchard his whole life, Twilight wanted something more than that for herself. There were so many wonders about magic and science. Wonders that the responsibilities of a farm would hinder significantly.

Farming wasn't exactly Twilight's strong suit to begin with. Not that she felt herself above hard labor. It was just something she seemed unable to fully get behind and be happy at the same time. There was also the fact that Big Mac was engaged. Nopony in their right mind would touch that. Especially one of royal standing. A scandal on such a scale would haunt her all the way to her grave.

"Princess?" his husky voice called to her in slight worry.

Twilight blinked a couple times as reality shifted back into her mind once again. Her eyes wandered down to see he was still in somewhat of a bow. Unsure if he could break the respectful gesture to make sure she was alright.

"Oh, sorry Big Mac. I have a lot on my mind right now, I guess..." she explained, somewhat sheepishly. She mentally scolding herself for having gotten so distracted by him.

Seeing that she was fine, Big Mac pushed himself back up before continuing. "Is there somethin' you want to talk about?"

Twilight pondered the notion for a moment. Originally, she was just here for Applejack. But, this was also going to be a discussion centered around a weighty decision. Applejack would likely want the rest of her family to hear it as well, and gauge her answer based on their reaction.

Twilight was fine with that possibility, but she also wanted to see her old friend again. It would be rude to show up randomly one night and toss out a one-way ticket to a total life change without even saying hello first. "I was wondering if Applejack was available right now?" Twilight inquired.

The red stallion thought about it with the lightest hint of apprehension. This caused her smile to weaken slightly, but picked right back up when he gave her an answer. "She's upstairs in her room. You're welcome to go visit her."

"Thank you, Big Mac."

"Eyup."

Once invited in, Twilight ventured through the door and up the stairs. Walking down the hall until her memory told her which door to stop at. It just so happened to be the only door with a light on behind it. This late into the day, all the other Apples were likely downstairs getting ready for dinner. This thought caused her to wonder why she wasn't downstairs too. Regardless, Twilight knocked on the door, lightly this time in case her old friend might be trying to catch an early nap.

"Ah'll be down in a few, Big Mac..." Came Applejack's monotone voice.

Something didn't quite sit right about that tone, but Twilight wasn't quite ready to question it yet. Instead, she gave a small chuckle and moved her head closer to the door. "Applejack, it's me! Come on out!" Enthusiasm leaking out into her voice once more.

"Twilight?" A small shimmer of bewilderment showed in Applejack's tone this time, and a group of hooves fell to the floor.

Soon enough, the door opened, and behind it stood a rather lethargic Applejack. Twilight offered a broad grin as she moved in to embrace her friend. "It's so good to see you again!"

Twilight didn't hear or feel the sentiments return, however. A bit dumbstruck, Twilight let go of Applejack and stepped back some to examine her more closely. Applejack seemed a bit lost in a daze. Like she was trying to determine if Twilight was a figment of her imagination or not. This aroused some concern. "Applejack, what's wrong? You haven't said a word..."

"Huh?" Applejack took a moment to press a hoof to her forehead, and then shook her head as if to get the cobwebs out of her limp ears. "Ah-ah'm sorry, Twi. Ah must've overworked myself today. Is there somethin' ah can help you with, Sugarcube?"

Applejack seemed to regress to her monotone voice again, which kind of put Twilight off. The AJ she remembered wasn't as lively and easily riled as Rainbow Dash, but she was certainly more animated than this. In her eyes, Applejack seemed to personify the textbook definition of 'depression'. Twilight wanted to inquire further, but she also didn't want to offend the orange mare. "Why don't we go downstairs and get you something to eat, Applejack? You look famished."

"Ah think ah'll pass for now, if it's all the same to you. Ah'm just too tired to be bothered with food," she replied lamely.

Twilight cocked her head to the side slightly. The air between them was growing odd and rigid. She didn't want to bring it up so suddenly, but part of her said that she needed to pull out all the stops for some reason. Like maybe the shock factor would jolt her old friend to life. "Oh, o-okay. Well, I guess I'll just go ahead and get right to the news then! I stepped down from office today."

Applejack's eyes seemed to widen suddenly for a moment, registering that the action was a significant move. "What? Why'd you do that?"

Twilight grinned again, as if holding in the excitement of two and a half mares. "Celestia visited me today, and we had quite the interesting discussion. She told me about the three nations of old, and the legend of the Crystal Spire, and-"

"Is this going anywhere, Sugarcube?" Applejack interjected.

Twilight herself was taken back by how blunt she was about it. But tried to rationalize it as Applejack trying to fight sleep or something. Still, it was awfully uncharacteristic. "Uh... Sorry. But, uhm. Celestia gave me a new task! I'm going to go on an adventure! To... settle a new kingdom in the south. I... was wondering if, you know... you wanted to come with me... and everypony else?"

Enthusiasm that once filled her being now slowly sucked away as if she'd sprung a leak. Applejack seemed so nonchalant about the whole thing. Not one bit of it earned her interest. Looking at her now, the mare hardly even cared for herself. Her once vibrant orange fur now seemed pale and scruffy. Her golden-blonde mane was dusted in a week's worth of dirt. Frizzy strands poked out from the outline of her style. She also seemed more slender than Twilight remembered. Meanwhile, all Applejack did was offer a distant stare. It disturbed Twilight to her core.

"Applejack?"

"Huh?" the orange mare replied, though she did catch the gist of what Twilight said.

"Applejack!" Twilight now freely expressed her concern. Their conversation was getting nowhere fast. "What is wrong with you? You look like you haven't eaten in days! And since when do you ever tire this early?"

Twilight looked beyond her for a moment to see that her room was a bit of a mess. Old dinner plates and half-eaten treats laid about on counter space, and the small garbage pale was struggling to hold a mountain of tissue and other garbage. "When's the last time you even left your room, for that matter? What is going on, Applejack?"

Applejack closed her door some when she realized that Twilight was peering in beyond her. Her expression quickly changed from stoic to heated in an instant, and reared the discussion right back onto Twilight. "Ah'm sorry, Hun, but ah'm finding this just a tad hard to believe."

"What?" Twilight retorted in surprise.

"This. All of this! For the last ah-don't-know-how-many years, ah don't see hide nor hair of you. Then you just show up out of the blue, and expect me to jump on the band wagon with you to Celestia-knows-where? Since when do you do anythin' spontaneous!?

"Then you talk about some adventure off the map, like the six of us are just gunna get together and pretend we haven't grown up and moved on?"

Twilight's surprise left her utterly speechless.

But Applejack didn't feel quite done yet. "Ah can't much speak for the others, Darlin'. But Ah, for one, cannot drop my obligations to my family and the farm. All just to try and relive the glory days by reminiscing over a campfire in the woods!"

Applejack heaved a sigh, visibly calming down some after realizing just how shocked her friend was. "Ah'm an old, tired mare, Twilight. Ah just want to be left alone..."

Applejack then receded into her room as the door closed. She paused for a little bit to see the awe plastered so blatantly across Twilight's face. Applejack resolved to simply looking away. "Ah'm sorry... if Ah raised my voice a lil', Princess. Please, don't bother me again..."

The door shut silently after that, and tears streamed down Twilight's cheeks. She felt like her heart was wrenched from her chest, and torn asunder before her own eyes. The last time she felt pain like this, the world was collapsing around her when she thought she'd embarrassed and disappointed Celestia at Shining Armor's wedding rehearsal. No. Actually, this felt like it burned more. Silently, she wept, as if in mourning of a dearly departed.

Her attention was drawn to the stairwell when a familiar deep voice cleared its throat, just low enough for her to hear. Slowly, Twilight wandered over to Big Mac, following him down the stairs and out to the front porch.

There, Big Mac closed the door behind him and plopped down onto his haunches firmly beside Twilight. He tried searching for something to say while the princess sniffled and stifled a cough. The walls in the house were thin, so he was able to hear most of the conversation from the bottom of the steps. At least, all the important parts anyway.

When frustration set in, the red stallion heaved a weighted sigh. "Ah'm sorry, Twilight. Ah knew it wasn't a good idea to let you see AJ. Ah guess Ah hoped you'd be able to bring 'round a good ol' smile or two, 'n lighten her spirits a bit."

"No... Applejack was right." Twilight admitted painfully. "Once I became Mayor, I never visited anypony. I knew Applejack was going through a hard time long ago... but I was just too caught up in myself to be a good friend. It's my fault."

A toned foreleg hesitantly came around Twilight's shoulder and pulled her into a sidelong embrace. Twilight didn't seem to have much of a problem resting against him and accepting his token of comfort. But it made him a bit uneasy. Comforting mares wasn't something Big Mac made a habit out of. But, given the circumstances, he was willing to make a short exception tonight.

"Nope." he began bluntly, taking a moment to find the right words. "What Applejack is going through isn't your fault. It ain't nopony's fault."

Twilight still sniffled some, seemingly unconvinced by his argument. He sighed again, attempting to relieve his tension. On a side note, comforting a princess would likely be the highlight of his thoughts for a while. Not that anypony would believe him, but the thought that he could possibly raise at least one mare's spirits tonight gave him a small, but hopeful smile.

"Maybe it would help if Ah told you what little of the story we know." He looked down to her for a moment, seeing her finally open her eyes and look up to him expectantly. Waiting for some kind of explanation to all of this.

Big Mac looked up to the sky as the stars began to show themselves and the moon rose high into the sky. "You see, a few years ago, AJ found this stallion by the name of Oliver Salad. A bit of an odd pony. Held an odd accent Ah'd never heard before. But he was an honest fellow, n' y'know how my little sister is about honesty."

Big Mac gave in to a short pause before continuing. "They were pretty happy for a while, takin' turns visitin' each other n' such. After about a year, though, somethin' happened between the two, n' they stopped seein' each other after that. Ah don't know any details. She wont talk to any of us. All Ah know is, my little Jackie has been hurtin' somethin' fierce since then. But, she refuses to get passed it. Ah feel like Ah can't do anythin' to save her. Ah have to argue with her just to get her to eat somethin'."

"Oh my gosh. I had no idea," Twilight finally muttered quietly. "If only I had come around more often. She wouldn't be like this..."

Big Mac looked down to Twilight again, pondering how exactly to put his next point. "Friendship is a two-way road, Twilight. Applejack could have just as easily gone n' visited you when you had the spare time to talk. Besides, if she keeps refusin' to talk about what's really botherin' her, how are we even s'ppose to help her? If any of this is anypony's fault, it's Applejack's."

The alicorn mare seemed to calm down some throughout the duration of their talk, her sniffles shallow and random. Gradually decreasing in frequency.

"AJ's gunna realize eventually that she can't keep livin' like this. Granny, AB, and Cheerilee. We all just want Applejack to be happy. But, none of us feel like she'll ever be happy again wastin' the rest of her days on this farm. Ah think havin' her go with you to a new kingdom would help get her back to her ol' ways again. Finally allow her to put this business with Oliver to peace. But she needs a swift boot to the rear before she'll get with it. Ah think if you can get the rest of your friends to come over n' help, AJ will finally budge."

Twilight nodded, feeling her mane bunch up slightly against his red fur. "Thank you, Big Mac. I really appreciate the help."

"Eyup."

Twilight smiled weakly and looked down at the hoof still wrapped around her. One of her own came up to gently pad across the toned leg, before realization hit and she quickly shrugged away from his grasp. Big mac looked to her in a bit of surprise, while Twilight avoided eye-contact. Trying to hide her blush. "Sorry! Sorry. I just, uh-heheh..."

"Is somethin' the matter, Princess?"

Twilight sighed hesitantly. "I know you're engaged to Cheerilee and everything. I... it's just... after everything with Applejack, I've just realized how lonely I've been, too. Feeling somepony this close to me is... all too comforting, I guess." Twilight nervously brushed one leg with the other. She contemplated taking her leave, before Big Mac interrupted that thought.

"You don't have to be embarrassed, Twilight. There's a difference between bein' a good friend, n' bein' a scoundrel. I'm certain if Cheerilee were here, she'd understand."

Twilight staggered in her thoughts. She looked up to the position of the moon for a moment. The last train to the Crystal Empire would be leaving soon. She had expected to be on her way there already. She really lost track of time. But, after what happened tonight, Twilight desperately wanted somepony beside her.

"I can catch the morning train..." she thought aloud, and placed her head back against his warm, red fur. A toned hoof came back to rest around her shoulder, seeming more comfortable in the gesture now.

Big Mac sure was an interesting pony. For being a stallion of few words, he sure could talk when he felt he needed to. Other than that, he was quiet and understanding. Ever-listening and caring for everypony around him. How could she have ever thought it wouldn't work between them? Silently, she scolded herself for the missed catch. All she could do was comment Cheerilee on her find. "Cherilee's lucky to have such a great stallion in her life."

"Eyup."

"Hey, Big Mac?"

"Eyup?"

"Have you ever thought about me? You know... romantically?" At the time, Twilight thought it was a legitimate question. Though, sometimes for her, a question was deemed legitimate if it peaked her interest enough.

"Once or twice, ah s'ppose." he hummed after a moment of thought.

"Big Mac?"

"Eyup?"

"You and Cheerilee wouldn't happen to have an open relationship, would you?"

"Don't ruin the moment, Twilight."

Twilight chuckled slightly. "Sorry, couldn't resist."

After that, it was silent. Twilight simply enjoyed a brotherly embrace while gazing up at the silent, starry night.

Author's Note:

The first chapter of many! Now edited with improved grammar and a more proper placement of speech! And edited once more, because improvement is magic!

This is likely going to be a long and pain-staking project for me. Lots of things I need to take care of. Hopefully, I'll be getting into college soon, which will really mess with my writing time. I can only ask you, the reader, to be patient. I plan on writing as often as possible. Just don't expect more than one chapter a month. ^^;

A big shout-out to jardex22, who has helped me a lot with the production of this story. From bouncing ideas around to helping hash out the characters. This story wouldn't be nearly so clear in my mind without him. Thank you! Please enjoy the story.