• Published 30th Dec 2013
  • 887 Views, 17 Comments

Those Distant Sisters - Rettro



Far across the ocean from any land known to Equestria sits the volcanic island nation of Hearth. It's ponies live a good life of technological and military sophistication - a land on the verge of change as two ponies get lost and wind up in Eque

  • ...
1
 17
 887

Chapter 12

Rarity tugged on her saddlebag strap for the eighth time since entering the Everfree. She had been rushed in packing her things as she was pushed ever so rudely into the night air, almost going on the trip without a proper scarf. She was yet to dawn her cold weather gear however, as her constant worry about the trio now leading them through the forest kept her busy.

What could they possibly be searching for this far into these dark, dirty, woods? It’s not like any creature here could take out somepony flying that high up, or the pegasus wouldn’t have a trade route overhead! Nothing short of some sort of hideously tacky ladder monster or a…

“Hydra!” Rarity was knocked from her thoughts by Twilight’s scream as everypony dove for cover in the bushes nearby. A second set of screams rang out as Pinkie and Spike landed in a thick bramble bush, causing Pinkie to bounce into another set of bushes and holding Spike down as the barbs wedged between his scales. A high-pitched roar pierced the ensuing silence as one pony stood apart from the others, before the hydra. Rarity stuck her snout ever so slightly out of her hiding spot and saw Sonority standing tall before a three-headed hydra. Two of the heads were staring at the apparently suicidal colt, while the other busied itself off to the side, gnawing on something that was… Oh goddess no… oozing a dark red liquid onto the forest floor. Rarity suddenly felt quite ill.

“Hydra eh?” Sonority finally said, breaking the brief intense silence. “I’ve seen prettier lookin’ things crawl out from under the waste disposal plant back home.” The hydra did not respond to the jab, but Resonance could not help but chuckle despite the tense situation, recalling that Sonority had briefly dated a mare who worked maintenance at that plant before they met. Prettier things indeed.

“You are from the far side.” The first great maw of the hydra spoke, surprising the ponies hiding in the brush, who had assumed the creature was just some mindless evil. “I do not know how you survived the trip here, little pony, but I can assure that coming back to me was the biggest mistake of your now quite short life.” The two unoccupied heads of the hydra split to surround Sonority. The second then spoke, “I thought something had escaped from that last plane. I told you two there was no way one pony was able to make it all this way in that craft. It’s no matter now though, we have already… captured… your co-pilot, little pony.” The beast made a wide gesture to the third head, which continued to gnaw at the gnarled contents of the co-pilot’s chair, completely uninterested in the exchange.

“Why have you attacked us?” Sonority demanded of the beasts, setting them somewhat aback. They were not used to their food speaking with such authority. “What possible purpose could there be for keeping my ponies and these ponies separate?” Sonority whipped his head back and forth as he spoke, making sure to yell at each of the heads equally.

“Well, little pony, or should I say ponies…” The first head spoke as the second stretched its neck to knock all the hiding mares from the bushes to stand beside Sonority. Spike remained trapped in the bramble bush. “It has been so long since I’ve had the chance to tell such a delightful story. I suppose a little lesson won’t hurt before dinner.” The two heads smiled alarmingly large smiles and he first began his story, satisfied that his captives were unable and unwilling to attempt escape with the second head lying behind them and thick brush on either side.

“Nearly one thousand years ago, nine-hundred and sixty-three years actually, the ponies of Hearth first came to Equestria. Their diplomatic team consisted of four unicorn colts, while the majority of Equestria’s rulings were being done by a team of three earth pony mares and three pegasus mares. Celestia had recently banished her sister to the moon, recently of course being a relative term, and was largely withdrawn from international affairs. The visiting unicorns were bewildered by the Equestrian success and freedom, considering that their leadership was some sniveling old mare whom cared more about what every foalish little pony that bothered her had to say than the politics of running her nation. It was not long before the peaceful talks between both nations broke down, due largely to the fact that the ponies from Hearth studied the stars and the moon so extensively, and Celestia refused to acknowledge the recent drastic change in the appearance of the moon, likely due to her grief. Eventually the unicorn ponies grew tired of the ramblings of some old ‘sun goddess’, and began to tell stories of how Equestria was an evil and unnatural place, which turned its back on the stars and in turn was abandoned by them.” The hydra began to chuckle, saying “They even made up some ridiculous story about sky ponies they called ‘windigos’, that the stars had sent down to make the nights in Equestria especially cold! What absolutely delightful nonsense!” After a few moments of rousing laughter which put every shiny tooth on the two great mouths on display, the second head continued the tale.

“Needless to say, when Celestia found out what tales the ponies of Hearth were spreading about her kingdom, given that she was already feeling guilty about having had banished her sister to the moon, she gave these visitors an ultimatum. They were either to willingly accept her and her people as children of the sun, or leave Equestria forever. I believe you know which choice they made.” The second head staring menacingly at Sonority, allowing the first head to finish the story.

“After some time, both nations forgot about the issue. In Equestria they forgot about a lot of things, and soon Celestia was able to rule again without the heavy weight on her soul. She did not, however, forget as all her subjects did. One night, she came to the Everfree, to the old palace where she had grown up, and began preparations to defy the things that weighed so heavily on her. She found me, young and abandoned, living on the ruins. She told me this tale, of her suffering, and went further inside the ruins, searching for some stone orbs I don’t believe she ever found.”

“I don’t believe you. Celestia would never have told you to ruthlessly attack anyone who tried to enter Equestria!” Twilight interrupted the trailing end of the tale, angered and eager to defend her teacher.

Kill, little pony. We kill the ponies who try to enter Equestria. And she did not have to tell us. We could feel the pain in her heart, and the kindness it crushed. We took it upon ourselves to enforce the eternity-long ban of Hearth’s ponies on Equestria.” All three heads of the monster gathered in front of the ponies, the third dropping his quarry just in front of the beast’s belly. “We intend to continue my quest, little ponies. It’s dinner time.”

“Sounds as if you’re pretty sure of yourself, beast.” Sonority again defied the creature by speaking out of turn. “What you say about the past may be true, but what you claim to know about the present sure as the flames isn’t. I did fly here on my own. I came to rescue my wife, and I’m not about to fail now. Know how?” The beast simply snarled as it prepared to chomp on the three closest ponies. “Well, if I didn’t bring anypony with me, then that’s not the blood of some hidden meal oozing from that tank.” All three heads turned their attention to the gnawed seat at their feet as Sonority carefully lifted something from his saddlebag with his magic. “It’s jet fuel.”

Sonority fired his flare gun directly at the tank, engulfing it quickly in flames. The three heads of the hydra jostled for position, desperately attempting to pick up the tank and throw it while the ponies began to run.

“Help!” Twilight spun around, hearing Spike’s quiet cry from the bush where he was still trapped. She rushed over, trying desperately to pull him loose with her magic. After a moment, she gave up, electing instead to hop down beside him and erect a small shield around them. She looked up just as the hydra managed to wrap its enormous mouth around the tank, crying as the flames licked its lips and scorched its throat. Then, before the beast could throw the tank, it exploded. The full force of a half-tank of jet fuel, held closed by the jaws of a terrible beast, erupted out in every direction. Twilight threw a hoof over Spikes face, sparing him from the horror that played out before her. What remained of the great beast fell limp upon the now blood soaked ground, and all was quiet.

“Twilight?” Spike barely whispered, failing to gain her attention. “Twilight? What happened?” The baby dragon didn’t dare move, taking what little comfort he could from his friend’s hoof blocking his vision.

“Spike, it’s okay.” Twilight’s voice was shaky, and after a moment her hooves were shaking too. “Close your eyes, Spike.” The whelp nodded, and Twilight lifted him carefully out of the brush and onto her back where he clung like a scared child. Twilight carefully removed the quick shield she had placed around the two, and began to walk slowly toward her friends who stood nearby, silent. For the next few moments, before she was with them, the only sound was the soft squish of her hooves on wet, red, earth.