• Published 20th Mar 2012
  • 5,800 Views, 277 Comments

PonyFall:Adventures in Chaos - Draequine



Part of a Self-insert colab

  • ...
21
 277
 5,800

Temporal Roundabout

I am starting to think that reality doesn’t really care all that much.

Well, of course not, in the sense that reality doesn’t think at all, being an abstract concept for everything that is, was, or ever will be. I suppose what I mean is that nothing really affects/affected/will affect reality. Try as we like, our petty little paradoxes, apparently impossible anomalies, and “devastating” weapons of mass destruction never will affect reality in any way. If anything does/had/will actually manage to affect reality, then it wouldn’t matter anyway, because it would have always had happened/happen/will happen. Whatever does/did/will affect reality isn’t a consequence of any kind of action, it just is/was/will be. What happens doesn’t happen because that’s how it works, or because we make it happen, or because it follows some sort of divine plan beyond understanding, nope. It simply happens because it happens.


What I am actually saying, is that I am starting to run out of things to put in this spot of the chapters, so I am just resorting to philosophical gibberish.


I’m not going to humor him this time. Nope, nuh-uh, not happening. I am not going to turn my head to see what Discord is wearing, no matter how ridiculous he may or may not look. Instead, I will, God-willing, give myself an aneurysm through sheer willpower.

~If that could happen, I would be blissfully dead right now.~ Crazy voice, somehow muttering under its breath, despite lacking a body, much less lungs. ~Oh, of course, rub it in.~

I think I will! Nyenner, nyenner, nyenner, I have a body and you don’t. Ha hah ha!

“Come on, spill it.” Well, the girl is definitely unfazed by him randomly appearing from thin air. “What’s your name?”

~Well she is probably used to it, being from a land of magical pretty pastel ponies.~

You never know, she might not be from Equestria. I mean, what are the chances of me finding another character?

~Well, I would say 0.000647%. However, given that you are with Discord, I’d bump that up about, oooh, 99.999353%~

But is it so unlikely! It is the last thing I would expect, which, being with Discord I have come to expect... yeah, she’s from Equestria.

“You know, I don’t think I’ll tell you,” Discord snorts. Gah, he is being so obnoxious! “Apparently names are a big deal here.”

“His name is Discord. He is probably the one responsible for you being here.” Oh my God I’m actually smiling because I’m happy for once! “Now what are you going to do about it?”

Wow, so this is what it’s like just before everything goes to Hell. Discord looks rather angry, but not as angry as the girl. A little distance before the ball drops sounds prudent, so I scootch my chair a few steps from the table.

“Discord!” Cody and the girl shout out.

“Who? What? Can anyone tell me how I got this ninja suit on?!”

I can’t help but notice that Sarah and I are the only sane people in this room.

~HahaHAHAHahaHahAhAHaHAHAHAHA!!!!!~

Discord lamely tries to play innocent,” Who? What? Can anyone tell me how I got into this peculiar getup?” I can’t help but laugh at his coy smile.

“Aren’t you the Spirit of Chaos?“

Really Cody? You ask that kind of question? Even though you are quite aware of who, and what he is? Are you trying to be subtle about knowing who he is? Actually, I’ve seen feral kittens be more subtle. I honestly have no idea what you are doing. Oh I forgot to actually say that didn’t I?

~Yes.~

I probably don’t have enough time to say it anyway.

“Well I’m certainly not the Spirit of Mod-”

*WHAM*

Now that’s what I call a tackle! She’s definitely one of the mane six.

“Hahahahahahaha!” That completely makes up for being turned into a dingo!

"What are you laughing about?" Wow, this chick can maintain a conversation, while throttling the Spirit of Chaos? I’m going to be completely honest with her.

“Because he has had that coming for a while now.” Right, I am going to find out her name. “So Cody, now that I’ve told you who he is, who is she?”

“Why should I tell you?” Why do they always give an attitude to such an innocent question?

“Why not? The others have told me already.” These brass buttons are REALLY cool. I can’t not never stop keep rubbing them!

~Wait, can’t not never stop? Can’t not never stop... Really?~

Dear Lord! This leather must be restricting my brain fluids!

~So how long do you think till the chick learns that she is no longer strangling Discord, but Tyler?~

I’m guessing from either 3 seconds to immediately if Cody follows my eye.

“What the he- Holy crap, Rainbow Dash, Stop choking Tyler!”

Oh, Rainbow Dash. What a crushing disappointment...

~She isn’t that bad of a character you know.~

She’s a bit too tomboyish for my taste.

~Don’t tell me you have a sexual attraction to any MLP characters.~

No I don’t!

~Uh huh, whatever.~

“Oh my gosh! Tyler! I am so, so, so sorry! Oh gosh, oh gosh, oh gosh!” Rainbow Dash flips out at the most trivial things doesn't she? It's not like Tyler is people after all. Surprisingly, he is pulling off the king outfit quite well though.

“Hahahaha!” Discord laughing means this is about to get interesting.

“Well, hello Rainbow Dash, what do you think of this world? I must admit, it’s not all that fun, but it is certainly better than Equestria!”

“Sarah, I gotta tell Appledash about this!” Wait, what is Sarach reaching for? A gun? Who is Appledash?

~And what is that sound?~


Wait, what just happened? Why is everyone back in their seats? Why isn’t Discord being choked. OhmaigoshdonttellmeIimaginedit!

“Come on, spill it. What is your name?” Woah, Déjà vu. Didn’t she say that already?

“You know, I don’t think I will.” It’s the same snort. Exactly the same. “Apparently names are a big deal here.”

This is the part where I say,” His name is Discord. He is the one responsible for you being here.”

~That isn’t exactly what you had said.~

I have a hunch that it’s going to get the same result though.

“Discord!” They shout, again.

“Who? What? Can anyone tell me how I got this ninja suit on?!” Tyler exclaims, again.

”Who? What? Can anyone possibly tell me how I got into this peculiar getup?” Discord lamely denies, again.

“Aren’t you the Spirit of Chaos?”

“Well I’m certainly not the-”

“Spirit of Modesty.”

*WHAM*

Hah. I actually don’t mind going through this a couple more times if Discord keeps getting tackled like that.

“Hahahaha!”

“What are you laughing about?”

“Because he had it coming. So Cody, now that I have told you his name, won’t you tell me what Rainbow Dash’s name is?” Oops.

“Why should I tell you?” Oh, he distrusts me so much that he isn’t even listening to me! “Wait... How do you know she’s-”

~Quick! Distract him!~

“Oh gosh, Rainbow Dash is strangling Tyler!” Not my best distraction, but it’ll do.

“What the he- Holy crap, Rainbow Dash, Stop choking Tyler!”

“Oh my gosh! Tyler! I am so, so, so sorry! Oh gosh, oh gosh, oh gosh!”

“Hahahaha! Well hello Rainbow Dash, what do you think of this world? I admit, it’s not all that fun, but it certainly is better than Equestria!”

“Sarah, I gotta tell Appledash about this!”

Oh, so she is going for her phone.

~There goes that damned sound!~


Right, so here goes the third round. I am sure Discord is getting such a kick out of this.

“Come on, spill it. What’s your name?”

You know what, I’m not going to let this affect me. I can totally outlast him!

~Oh, really?~


Okey dokey, 15 times so far. Doing just fine...

~Are you now?~


Numero 50 and all is well. I could do this in my sleep!

“Come on, spill it. What’s your name?”

“Come on, spill it. What’s your name?”

I could do this by myself actually.

“You know, I don’t think I’ll tell you. Apparently names are a big deal here.”

“You know, I don’t think I’ll tell you. Apparently names are a big deal here.”

“How are you saying what I’m saying while I’m saying it?”

“How are you saying what I’m saying while I’m saying it?”

“I am a complete idiot”

“Yes, Cody. You are.”

~Oooh, here comes my favorite part!~


“And then I bought the horse a hooker!”

“What?” Meh. I figured Cody wouldn’t get it.

“Whatever, that’s Discord, now call Appledash.”

~Not exactly the best run. Care to give it another try?~

No, I give up. Discord wins, I just want my freaking nuggets!

“Discord!”

*WHAM*

“Sarah, I need to call Appledash! Wait, how do you know about-”

~LETS DO THE TIME WARP AGAAIIIN!~


Oh God, please don’t tell me you are going to start saying that now.

~I will. I most definitely will~

“Alright, you win. Now will you please stop it?”

“Stop what, Ashton?” I am so sick of that damn smirk!

“Stop making this happen over and over, or whatever you are doing!”

“Ah, well you see Ashton, what we have here is a running gag. It’s a humorous technique where I will do the same thing over and over again until it stops being funny, and then when it becomes funny once again.”

“No, I’m talking about Rainbow Dash saying, ”Come on, spill it. What’s your name?”

“Come on, spill it? What’s... your name? Wait, how did you do that?”

“To which you would reply, “You know, I don’t think I’ll tell you. Names are apparently a big thing here.’”

“Ah, It’s a time loop!” Oh gee, I didn’t know that. “I’ve been waiting for this to happen. Strange, I don’t seem to be aware of it...”

“Right, well I am, and it’s starting to get pretty dull watching you get tackled by Rainbow Dash.”

“Oooh, Rainbow Dash!” That was pretty stupid of me to tell him wasn’t it?

“How did you know my name!?” Gah! Dash can be really loud when she’s angry!

“Mulligan!” It doesn’t hurt to try again. “Cody, you should call Appledash because this guy is Discord.”

“Wait, how did you know about Appl- Oh my God, Discord! Sarah, I need to tell Appledash about this.”

~Let’s do the time warp again!~


“Ah, It’s a time loop! I’ve been waiting for this to happen. Strange, I don’t seem to be aware of it...”

“Right, well I am. I’ve had enough of you messing with these guys. Can you please stop it?” I’m probably going nowhere asking for help like this, but what the Hell.

“I remember my last time loop. It spanned for an entire month. You see, I had turned the moon into cheese. Apparently, month old moon cheese is irresistible to space lions.” That does sounds like an interesting story.

~Actually, it sounds devastating to the coastal environment of Equestria.~

“Right, so how can that result in a time loop?”

“Um... Hello? What is your name? Why are you dressed like a king?!”

“Oh my God, Twilight is waiting for you outside!”

“Twilight!”

“Wait! Ra-er... Rebecca!” That’ll take care of those two for 4 minutes and 12 seconds, I don’t have to worry about Discord following them because he is absorbed in his nostalgia, Sarah will just coldly observe the conversation, and like the others, I don’t really care what Tyler does.

“It would have caused a paradox since the moon in question was also involved in my first attempt at daylight savings time.”

“Wait, what? How would daylight savings time cause a paradox?”

“I set the moon to revolve backwards through time on the dullest day of the year, duh!”

...

“I am going to need to listen that again...”

“I said, I set the - Where are you going?”

I have just enough time to be within Cody’s hearing range. “Hey Cody! This is Discord, you need to tell Appledash about this!”

You know you’ve been in a repeating time loop way too long when you’ve learned to lip-read from 80 feet.

Oh my God, Discord! Wait, how does he know about Appledash? I should tell Appledash about this, shouldn’t I?

Cody, I don’t see Twilight anywhere!

Okay, not so much as lip reading, but memorization. I don’t think I could learn to do anything in this time loop, except maybe flip burgers.

~Let’s do the time warp again!~


“Now, how would you create a paradox with daylight savings?”

“I set the moon to revolve backwards through time on the dullest day of the year, duh!”

“I set the moon to revolve backwards through time on the dullest day of the year, duh!”

“Oh! So you understand my idea then?”

“Not in the slightest, just wanted to make sure I heard you correctly.”

“Hmmph. Well, I suppose you want to know how to stop the time loop. All you have to do is find out what might be causing the paradox-”

“Right! Sarahs phone!” And here they come, just on time.

“I couldn’t find Twilight anywhere! I can’t believe you lied to me!”

“If it makes you feel any better, this is Discord.”

“Discord!”

*WHAM*

“You should probably contact AppleDash.”

“I should contact Appledash! Wait, how do you know Apple-

~Let’s do the time warp again!~


“Hello, Sarah? Mind if I borrow your phone?”

“No.”

“Ah, right. Cody, this is Discord, and you should contact Appledash.”

“Discord!”

*WHAM*

~Let’s do the time warp again!~


“I really need to use the restroom!”

“Fine, just be quick about it.”

“I just cleaned the restroom!”

“No one cares, Tyler.”

“Come on, spill it. What’s your name.”

Now just walk by slowly annnnnd stealitstealitste-

“ARGGHHH!!!” Oh God, my arm isn’t supposed to bend that way! “Discord! Appledash! Pineapples!”

~Let’s do the time warp again!~


Right, lets try this again.

Now!

“ARGGHHH!!!”

~Let’s do the time warp again!~


Third time’s the charm.

Gently... Gently!

“ARRRGGGHH!!!” Gentle doesn’t work!

~Let’s do the time warp again!~


“ARRRGGHH!!!” Flat out punching her doesn’t work either.

~Let’s-


“Oh my God Sarah, look that way!”

“ARGGHHH!” Or punch me in the face. That works too.

do the-


“It is vital that I see your phone, a matter of life and death!”

“No it isn’t.” She is much too clever for her own good.

~No, it’s just that you just can’t even outwit a paper bag, much less the manager of a McDonalds.~

time warp again!~


“AH!!!!!”

“What the hell!?”

Hah! All I needed to do was assault her like a madman! So simple!

*Crunch!*

“Finally!”

“I am going to call the cops!”

“Go ahead! Jail’s better than doing the same thing over and over again! It’s finally over!”

~Or not. Let’s do the time warp again!~


!#@!@#$!@%!!@#$!

*Slap!*

“Ouch! What was that for, Ashton?”

“I just felt like doing that, Discord.

“Discord!”

*WHAM*

~Let’s do the time warp again!~


“Hmmph. Well, I suppose you want to know how to stop the time loop. All you have to do is find out what might be causing the paradox, and figure out why it might cause a paradox.”

“The loop ends when Cody decides to contact this Appledash, or when Sara decides to call the cops.”

“The who?”

“The police?”

“Which is...”

“The royal guards.”

“Ah, well my guess is that you just aren’t trying hard enough. Perhaps you are doing it too... Early?” Oh, a riddle. Joy.

“I couldn’t find Twilight anywhere! I can’t believe you lied to-”

“Yeah, yeah. That’s Discord. Cody, call Appledash.”

“Discord!” Oh my God I am at my wit’s- Wait, what is this?

~Let’s do the time wa- IS THAT A-~


~You aren’t going to do this are you?~

Every man has his breaking point, and mine is hearing Rainbow Dash say, ”Come on, spill it. What’s your name?” for the 200th time.

“It’s rather sad how long it has taken me to realize how authentic this pirate costume is.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Oh, I just found out that this satchel comes with a loaded flintlock.”

“Oh my God, don’t shoot me!”

*BANG!*

~JESUS! You just shot Cody!~


*BANG!*

~And you just shot him again.~


*BANG!*

~And again.~


*BANG!*

~And yet again...~


Alright, I’m done.

~Really?~

No.

*BANG!*

~Sigh.~


~Why shoot Cody?~

Because I can, and I’m not going to risk actually murdering someone.

~Then why didn’t you shoot Tyler, I doubt he counts as someone.~

I might have missed.

~Why not shoot yourself?~

Because I know I’d screw up and writhe in agony until the next loop starts, of course. If it even starts again. I could be the source of this, after all.

*BANG!*

~REALLY?~


Sorry, but it’s much quicker than going through this. “Discord.”

“Discord!”

*WHAM*

“Appledash.”

“I should tell Appledash. Wait, how do you know about Appl-”

*BANG!*

~Ah, I see your point.~


~Shouldn’t you be focusing on how stop the time loop?~

Oh I already found out how to.

~And that is?~

Just take Discord and get the hell out of dodge. I have a hunch I am in the past, and Cody isn’t supposed to tell Appledash about Discord, or be dead.

“Come on, spill it-”

*BANG!*

“My leg!”

Whoops, I missed!

~Or maimed, apparently.~


Right, let’s do this then.

“Okay, we’ll be going then.”

“And what on Earth makes you think I’ll be going?”

“Ah, right, you need to be tricked into leaving.”

*BANG!*

~Oh, that might be a tad difficult.~


Nah, this time loop proves that he isn’t completely unpredictable.

“Alright Discord-”

“Discord!”

*WHAM*

Whoops.

*BANG!*

~It does, however, prove your remarkable aptitude for failing.~


Right, Discord is like a cat, he will chase anything that moves. All I need to do is... “Wing it!”

“Wait up, Ashton!” Working so far.

“Cody, we need to go after those guys! He hasn’t even told me his name!”

Oh right, Rainbow Dash. “Hey Cody, I need to show you something.”

“Uh... what do you want to show me?”

*BANG!*

~At first it was horrifying, but now it’s hilarious.~


Right, let’s just knock Discord out and... “Why is this room so blue?”

“What?”

“The room wasn’t this blue the last time...”

Riiiiight, so anyways, come on, spill it. What’s your name.”

“Wait is that a gun?”

“Yes.” Why is this room blue? I could have sworn it was yellow before.

*BANG!*

~Maybe it’s your guilty conscience playing tricks on you.~


Now it’s red! What is going on?!

~Best kill Cody a few more times, just to be sure.~

Right.

*BANG!*

~I wasn’t serious!~


Okay, the color is back to normal. I guess it was some kind of glitch in the time loop?

~This isn’t The Matrix, you know.~

Why am I holding these cards?

“Are we playing Texas hold ‘em?” I’m not that familiar with poker, but I’m sure Texas hold ‘em is the one with two cards.

“Yes. You were the one who suggested it after all.”

“What did I say, Sarah?”

“You know... I can’t remember.”

“Okay then...”

“Well I’m all in.” That’s pretty risky Cody, the flop hasn’t even happened yet.

“No, you’re folding.” This time loop is starting to get weird.

*BANG!*

~As one liners go, that was pretty weak.~


Now what will be wrong with this one I wonder.

“Aww! He’s so adorable! What’s your name little guy?” Well, Rainbow Dash gushing at Discord for one. Too weird for my taste. Wait... Shooting Cody can wait this time.

“That little guy is Discord.”

“Discord?!”

*WHAM*

“Hahahahaha!”

“What are you laughing about?”

“Rainbow Dash just tackled a baby! Hahahahaha!

*BANG!*

~I’m amazed you actually hit him while laughing so hard.~


“Oh my God, you are all hobbits!”

“What?”

“Next!”

*BANG!*

~Are you going to just keep doing this until you find a loop you like?~


“Everyone here is too fat.” Yes.

*BANG!*

~That’s probably wrong on so many levels, but who cares?~


Oh dear. A rule 63 loop.

~Rather tempting isn’t it.~

Uh huh, no.

*BANG!*

~Goodness me Ashton, weren’t you ever taught never to shoot a lady?~


Now Cody is wearing the pirate outfit, and sitting next to Discord?

~What a twist!~

“Don’t call AppleDash! Please!”

“Oh, let me guess. You are in a time loop, and you have been in it for at least 538 times right?”

“I.. Err... How did you know?” I suppose I’m not having the worst time with Discord, compared to this Cody.

“Oh, the two of you are in a time loop? Both of you? Now that is interesting!”

“For some reason every loop is different now.”

“Hahahahahahahaha!” That laughing can’t be good. “Looks like your loop is losing cohesion.”

“Right, so I’d better stop shooting Cody and just pick a loop then?”

“Wait what?”

“Oh right, I don’t have a gun. Umm... Er... Ah, I need to tell Appledash about Discord!”

“No!” Good luck with Discord, bad luck Cody.

~Right, so are we going to stick with the next one?~


“BLARRGHH!”

“Nope!” Way too many mouths and eyes!

*BANG!*

*BANG!*

*BANG!*

~A bit excessive. I’m sure they could have been charming versions, if you had ignored the teeth, claws, eyes, and fangs. Wait, that is a flintlock, right?~


Hm... This seems normal, for once. The walls aren’t green, everyone is neither shorter or taller, and I’m not a girl. I do feel rather sore, but I suppose this is as good as it gets.

“Come on, spill it. What’s your name?” God, I hope this is the last time I hear her say that.

Now I can’t outright deny her Discord’s name, that will just make her angry. They aren’t meant to know about Discord right now, but I have a feeling that they will find out later. “Hm... You’ll have to wait for his name, I think.”

“Why? He’s right there! It’s not like he can’t ta-” Oh, that is the first time I have seen Sarah do anything without me trying to steal her phone.

“Yeah, so this is all fine and shit, but how the hell did you appear in this restaurant?” Oh, she is much more angry this loop. “You know what, don’t answer that because I’m fed up with all these crazy explanations going around.” Ah, finally! Someone with common sense.

“Personally, I’d like to know how he appeared in the chair without us knowing. That takes some sweet skills.” No one cares, Tyler.

“Tyler, kindly shut the hell up before I dump your ninja ass in the toilet.” Exactly! I am starting to like this loop.

“Anyway, please enlighten us with your name.” Oh, nevermind.

“Why doesn’t anyone recognize me? I suppose you can call me Dis-” No, no, no, and no. I’ll be damned if he says his name this time. Distract him!

“Oh yeah, we’re supposed to know who she is.”

~You are just grasping at straws now. Just shoot Cody and try again.~

I would if I had a gun, but apparently in this loop I don’t have one.

“Her?” No, thats Sarah. Do I have to point it out for him?

~Probably.~

“No, the other one.”

And now he is pointing at Tyler. A blameless mistake.

~You’d think he’d realize something was familiar about Rainbow Dash.~

“No, that’s a boy. I’m talking about a girl.”

“It’s an honest mista- Ooooh.” Finally, realization dawns on him.

“So anyway, I’m Dis-” No!

“You aren’t saying your name this time, and neither am I.”

~Wow, you did that rather calmly.~

Can’t excite Rainbow Dash or Cody.

~Oh and you already told them your name you know.~

Oh I did? Right I did, didn’t I?

“And what makes you so sure?”

~Yes, what does make you so sure? I think you are starting to push your luck, grabbing Discord.~

“It’s bound to work eventually.”

“Eventually? This is the second time you’ve actually tried to prevent me from revealing myself.” 5,238th time actually. “You are doing this much sooner than I thought you would.”

Hah, finally out the front door! Now to have a little fun with him.

~Really? You are on the home stretch, do you really want to screw it up like-~

Shush, he is going to say,

“It’s a time loop, isn’t it?”

“It’s a time loop, isn’t it?”

~Oh, you’re going to play that game are you? This is a different loop, you know.~

Temporal shenanigans, Hard-mode.

~You are such an idiot.~

“Hah! I remember my last time loop. I-...”

“Hah! I remember my last time loop. I-...”

“Stop that.”

“Stop that.”

“Hah hah. Hilarious. Now stop th-...”

“Hah hah. Hilarious. Now stop th-...”

“Oh, a wise guy huh? Well, two can play at this game.”

“Oh, a wise guy huh? Well, two can play at this game.”

“Now I’m the one copying you!”

“Now I’m the one copying you!”

Hah, I’m too crazy for your mind games silly.

“...”

“...”

“I am a complete Mu-”

“You are a complete-”

Nuts!

~Combo breaker!~

“Ha! Got yah!.”

“Yeah, but I’ve gotten you what, 50 times at least?”

“Yeah right. You getting me to say I’m a complete Mule.”

“Hah!” That expression never gets old.

“But why wasn’t I aware of the time loop?”

“Beats me. I guess I was the one that started it?”

“Started it... Yes, I’m sure you started it.” He doesn’t look so sure. “Oooh! What’s that?”

“Oi! Wait up!” I swear, if it isn’t him sending me God knows where, it’s me chasing him into who knows where.

~Why chase him then?~

That’s actually a good question... shut up.