• Published 5th Dec 2013
  • 3,757 Views, 35 Comments

Something Old, Something New - JaelynPotons



Fluttershy just reformed Discord when Princesses Celestia and Luna call the Mane Six to Canterlot. She reveals that there is a darkness spreading from the south and that the Mane Six, along with Discord, may be the only ones who can stop it.

  • ...
8
 35
 3,757

Content

Fluttershy was moving around her little kitchen, making pancakes and waiting patiently for Discord to wake up from the couch. They had gotten back from their journey after defeating Misfortune only two days earlier. They had all returned to their own homes to rest, and were scheduled to meet with the Princesses later that day for dinner, after which they would talk about the defeat of Misfortune. Before they left however, Fluttershy had plans to talk to Discord about what had transpired while she and him had been in the cave with Misfortune. A million questions reeled through her mind; were those memories real? If so, why didn't he just say that it was he who came up with the draconequus form, not Misfortune? What possible reason could there be to lie to her? Was he okay with the fact that she truly did love Discord more than she did Ebony? Did he understand why?

Fluttershy shook her head to clear her thought's, focusing on not burning the pancakes. 'Sooner or later the smell will wake him up, and then we can talk.' She thought to herself as she took the spatula in her mouth and flipped a pancake.

"Good morning, dear Fluttershy!" The spatula had suddenly grown two suspiciously familiar eyes and a mouth with one pointed tooth sticking out. Fluttershy squealed and dropped the utensil, where it transformed back into Discord. He continued to lay there on floor, grinning at her. He reached out and grabbed her, pulling her to him on the floor where he continued to hold her, softly stroking her mane. Shocked at first, Fluttershy slowly eased into the embrace, enjoying the just-woken-up warmth from his body. She closed her eyes and nuzzled his chest. They laid on the kitchen floor for some time before Fluttershy smelled something burning.

She leapt up from the floor, pulling herself away from Discord. "Oh dear, the pancakes!" She immediately turned off the stove top and moved the pan from the hot burner. Then she stared at the crispy discs laying in the pan with disdain.

"Oh come now, don't look like that! They're still perfectly edible, with the right amount of syrup." Discord summoned a bottle of maple syrup and poured it over one of the black pancakes. He bit into it and immediately put his hand to his throat, making a 'guhh' sound and collapsing onto the floor dramatically. Fluttershy rolled her eyes, smiling affectionately at him.

"What, is my cooking that bad? I'm sorry, I try so hard..." She pouted, looking down at the floor dejectedly.

Discord's head shot up at the sound of her sad voice and said immediately, "Oh no! I was just joking, I didn't mean to make you feel bad! Look, they really aren't bad at all, in fact, I like them! See?" He shoved the whole pancake in his mouth and chewed vigorously at first, but it slowly turned into a slow, forced chewing. "Mmm, see?" He said, spraying black crumbs all over.

Fluttershy laughed at him, "I can't believe you ate the whole thing! I got you, Discord!"

He stared at her in disbelief, unable to register that this sweet little mare had actually got one over on him. Finally he grinned at her and picked her up, causing her to yelp in surprise. "Why you little wench! How dare you trick the Lord of Chaos himself! You have earned yourself a punishment, my dear!"

Fluttershy's laughing abruptly stopped at the mention of 'punishment' and looked at him suspiciously. "What do you mean punishment?"

He grinned at her mischievously before carrying her into her living room and throwing he on the couch... where he proceeded to tickle her.

"N-no! Discord, what're you doing, Discord, STAHP!" She desperately struggled, laughing uncontrollably as Discord tickled her, laughing as much as she was.

"What was that? I couldn't quite hear you darling, you're laughing too much." He said over her loud laughing.

"D-discord... ahahahaa! Please, stop!" Fluttershy had tears in her eyes from laughing too much.

"Well, since you said please..." He finally stopped his tickling barrage, allowing her to catch her breath. She laid on the couch a little longer, and then her stomach growled.

She sighed. "Well, I guess I better get in there and make the pancakes right this time." She started to move, but Discord held his hand up.

"Please, allow me. After all, I was the one who distracted you from your cooking." He snapped his fingers and within seconds he and Fluttershy were sitting at her dining room table, fresh-made pancakes sitting in front of them along with glasses of milk (chocolate for Discord, of course) and plenty of hot syrup. Fluttershy even had a fruit salad sitting next to her pancakes, filled with strawberries, little mandarin slices, blueberries, and bananas drizzled with honey.

"Oh my goodness, this looks delicious!" Fluttershy exclaimed, digging into her salad.

"Anything for you, my dear. Besides, we're both going to need our strength to deal with Sunbutt up there." He took a long sip of his chocolate milk, the amount of milk in the glass never going down, providing Discord a nearly endless supply just out of one glass.

Fluttershy swallowed the strawberry she had been munching and looked at him thoughtfully. "Discord, may I ask you a question?"

Discord put down his glass solemnly. "I figured this would be coming. Of course you may ask me a question." He looked at her straight on, an amount of seriousness she didn't think was possible for the Lord of Chaos.

She swallowed, suddenly finding her throat dry. "Well... I was just wondering... were the memories that Misfortune showed to me true?" Discord simply nodded at her. "You told me at first that it was Misfortune that made you the Lord of Chaos... and yet in the memories I saw that you had come with it all by yourself. Why didn't you just tell me the truth?"

"My dear, I did tell you the truth. I did come up with the form. Misfortune however, made me the cruel being you met in the Labyrinth... just because I look this way, doesn't mean I am what I used to be."

"Oh." Was all Fluttershy could think to say as she mulled over what he had said. She really hadn't thought of it like that, and to have all her questions answered with such a simple answer was... well, unexpected.

"Now, may I ask you a question?" Discord spoke up, pulling her from her thoughts. She nodded at him.

He took a deep breath and looked at her meaningfully. "When you were in the memories and you wished for me, I appeared in this form, my draconequus form... Why did you wish for Discord, not Ebony Laughter?"

Fluttershy blushed. "Well, I guess I didn't realize how much I missed you- Discord, I mean. I know it isn't the real you, and I feel just awful loving a fake you instead of the real you."

Discord left his chair and walked over to hers, looking her in the eyes. "Then allow me to explain something to you, my dear. I didn't realize how much I missed Discord either. You see, when I went back to being Ebony Laughter, even though it was the real me, I felt... wrong. Like it wasn't me somehow. I felt as though my whole self had changed." He kissed her on her forehead before looking back into her eyes. "Misfortune and everything else in my life changed me. Ebony Laughter was who I used to be, not who I am now. Too much has happened, and I couldn't go back to being Ebony again, not after realizing all of this. I guess my real question is this: Do you love Discord, or do you love Ebony?"

To Fluttershy, everything clicked. Ebony, who didn't cause havoc and wasn't nearly as fun as Discord was, and why she had missed Discord so much despite the more peaceful counterpart. She had forced herself to love Ebony because she felt as though Discord was in there somewhere... but what she really wanted was Discord. She stared into Discord's eyes and replied, "I didn't fall in love with Ebony... I fell in love with Discord. I don't want to change you into somepony more peaceful, or even less chaotic. I want you to be who you are, nothing more, nothing less."

Discord smiled at her and kissed her, wrapping her up in his arms firmly. She hugged him back gratefully, melting into his hold and nuzzling into him. She felt his lips brush the top of her head, and smiled contentedly. He pulled back and looked at her again. "Now, let's finish this breakfast and get ready for tonight."

Author's Note:

Discord appears next to the author, arms crossed and pouting, "I can't believe you made me so cheesy..."
Jaelyn smirks and looks at him knowingly, "Yeah, just wait until the sequel comes out."
A look of horror dominates the Lord of Chaos' face, "You can't be serious! It took you a year to write just one fanfiction, don't tell me you'll attempt another!"
"HEY! You know I was busy with school! Don't question me, just say yes ma'am and deal with it! Besides, you know you enjoy being cheesy with Fluttershy."
The Draconequus blushes, muttering almost inaudibly, "That's beside the point..."
"Trust me Discord, if you liked this one, you'll really like the next one." Jaelyn winks at the audience.

Comments ( 5 )

So cuuuutttteeeee :pinkiehappy:

When, and what is the sequel coming out and called? (Sorry, I may be early:pinkiehappy:)

I am in LOVE with this story; the plot was perfect and I can actually see this as an MLP episode and or movie I hope to read more stories like this!!!

Login or register to comment