• Published 17th Apr 2012
  • 1,923 Views, 101 Comments

Rebirth of Harmony - WanderingPhysicist



In a world that goes from one tragedy to the next, can these six break the cycle?

  • ...
8
 101
 1,923

The Iron Pony - Finals

‘This sucks,’ Helios whines as the group trots back to the hotel. He and Apple Pie are hanging back from the others. ‘How could we lose to her? I am the epitome of pony evolution and you are practically built for this sort of thing. She... She...’

‘She is Rainbow,’ Apple Pie groans.

‘Hey! Who wants to have a big cake and ice cream party?’ the energetic pegasus cheers.

‘Sure!’ Alba chimes in. ‘That’s a great way to celebrate all of your awards.’

‘Oh yeah. That, too.’

The two young stallions sigh and trot after the rest of the group.

The celebration greets Octavia as she returns from her concert. Razzly has amassed a pile of sweets for the four celebrants. Rainbow and Alba dig in, but Apple Pie and Helios barely snack. Apple Bloom relates the day to Trixie and Raindrops. The former idol sighs and goes to her room.

‘I’m not drunk enough for this...’ Octavia moans.

‘Ta~vi~’ Trixie sings. ‘How was your concert?’

The grey mare groans. ‘It was amazing, stupendous, a sublime feeling of joy washing over my very soul. I was one with creation for brief moments. Other blathering where words fail me.’

‘Was Synth super sexy?’ Rainbow asks between mouthfuls of cake.

‘I don’t look at him that way. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need some aspirin and sleep.’

‘Don’t ya wanna hear how we did?’ Apple Bloom calls.

Octavia scans the room, analyzing all four competitors. ‘Congratulations on your records, Rainbow. Apple, you cheated and should feel bad. Helios, you would have done better if you were more focused. And you better go back and pay for that tart you “borrowed” from the stadium vendor, Alba.’

The assassin turns her nose up and trots away.

‘How does she know all that?’ Alba gapes.

Raindrops scrolls through her mobile. ‘Amazing what some ponies post on the internet these days...’

Octavia wakes in the middle of the night. She trots out to the balcony. She watches the city for a moment before turning back. She sees Helios standing on a nearby balcony.

‘Shouldn’t you be sleeping before your big day tomorrow?’

‘What? Oh. Hey, Octavia. What are you doing up?’

‘I could ask you the same.’

The prince looks away. ‘I can’t sleep. It is this whole competition thing.’

‘It is not in your nature to fight other ponies. You only entered because your brother did. Now, you are doubting yourself because Rainbow is having fun and winning. There is no shame in dropping out.’

‘What? No! Well, except for some of that Rainbow stuff, but the rest isn’t true.’

Octavia shrugs and turns away. ‘If you say so.’

‘Hey, uh, Octavia. Wait a sec.’

The mare huffs, ‘Yes?’

‘Um, your robe. You always wear it. Why?’

Octavia adjusts her sunglasses. ‘Let’s just say there was a time I was so depressed that I physically mutilated myself to express the psychological mutilation that I had felt.’

‘I am sorry you felt driven to do that. I know it is too late but if there is anything I can do to help...’

Octavia smiles. ‘Thank you, Helios. That is why I love your family so much.’

The mare trots back into her room, leaving the prince to think. She sighs and goes to see if there is any leftover cake. Apple Pie has beaten her to her goal.

‘Want some?’ the young farmer offers. ‘Still plenty to go around.’

‘Thank you.’ Octavia sits and takes the cake. ‘Feeling inadequate compared to your little sister, eh?’

Apple chokes on his cake. ‘What?’

‘Isn’t that why you cheated?’

‘I didn’t...’

‘It is written all over your face. Just figured that was the most obvious reason.’

Apple whines and looks away. ‘She just... I am supposed to be the athlete in the family. She was always the funny, lazy one.’

‘And the fact she is named after Rainbow Dash?’

‘I should be happy for her, but I really wanted to win.’

‘Now you’re the one that sounds like Rainbow Dash.’ Octavia finishes her cake and gets up. ‘Both of you are Elements of Loyalty. Think about that. I look forward to seeing you at the competition in the morning. Goodnight, Apple.’

Octavia leaves Apple to eat his cake. The young stallion sits back and thinks while he eats.

Triumphant music and roaring crowds greet the eight competitors as they trot onto the field. In the front row, Alba screams for her siblings. Raindrops, Trixie and Razzly are more subdued with their cheering. Octavia quietly watches the field.

Apple Bloom, Rainbow and the other competitors wave to the crowds. Apple Bloom wears a gold-lined cape with a crest of a yellow pony on a blue field on it. Apple and Helios are deep in thought and barely acknowledge the onlookers. Both glance over at Octavia. She nods and waves a churro. They take deep breaths as they trot onto a stage.

‘Welcome, everypony, to the finals for this year’s Iron Pony Competition!’ the lead organizer announces.

The crowd stomps in support of the group on stage.

‘Let’s meet our finalists!’ The announcer goes to Apple Bloom. ‘Representing the Cutie Mark Crusaders, Apple Bloom!’ Apple Bloom waves as the announcer moves on. ‘Next, we have Apple Pie from Sweet Apple Acres!’

While the crowd cheers, Apple leans over. ‘You never said you weren’t representing the farm.’

‘Ah never said Ah would. Sides, mah friends would be smilin’ down on me fer this.’ Apple Bloom frowns. ‘Cuz too if she weren’ outa town.’

Apple shakes his head. ‘Shame she couldn’t make it.’

Before Apple Bloom can reply, the crowd stomps and cheers. Several chant for Rainbow. The pegasus smiles, yawns and waves. The announcer moves to the next competitor. He jumps in shock when he sees Helios. The prince smiles.

‘Yes, well,’ the announcer coughs. ‘Our next competitor is Prince Helios of the Elements of Harmony.’

Alba screams extra loud for her brother, rivaling the rest of the audience.

‘Sorry, ladies. I have a fillyfriend,’ Helios laughs.

Apple rolls his eyes. Rainbow giggles at her brothers. The announcer moves on to the rest of the competitors.

With the finalists introduced to the crowds, they set up for the first round of the finals. A pair of organizers lay out ropes for tug-of-war while another sets a table in the middle of the stage. The competitors wait at the back of the stage.

‘For the first round, we will be finishing the last elimination round,’ the announcer states. ‘To start, we will have the final hoof wrestling competitions. Apple Pie, Large Fuji, you’re up.’

Apple Bloom gives the stallions a confused look as they go to the table. Apple sits across from the large, red stallion. ‘Ready?’

‘Eeyup.’

The two stallion lock hooves. Both strain as they try to get the advantage. Apple glances around for support. Apple Bloom cheers for him. Rainbow scratches her ear with her hind legs. He looks at the audience. Alba, Raindrops and Trixie cheer for their favorite. Octavia calmly reaches over the barrier and picks up some dirt. She holds it up. Apple flexes and starts forcing the other stallion’s hoof down. Large Fuji strains to regain ground. The younger stallion smirks, presses his hind hooves into the ground and taps into the earth below him. Octavia pours out the dirt. Apple’s eyes go wide. His foreleg goes limp and gets pinned.

‘Oh! Stunning upset!’

The competitors stand and shake hooves. Apple grips the other stallion tightly. ‘Go easy on my little sister next round, okay?’

Large Fuji winces. ‘Eeyup.’

Helios and a tan pegasus pull their rope as hard as they can. Rainbow cheers from the stage while Apple Pie sits with Apple Bloom as she ices her sore hoof after her loss. The pegasus flies as hard as she can to get any leverage against the prince. He calmly trots forward, dragging his opponent with him. The pegasus makes one last push with her wings and jerks Helios’ head back. He growls and snaps forward, sending the pegasus tumbling offstage. The prince gasps and gallops over to help.

‘I am so sorry!’ Helios apologizes, charging a healing spell. ‘Let me help you.’

The pegasus takes an offered hoof. ‘Thanks. I am fine. Just a little dizzy. I think they want you onstage.’

Helios shakes his head. ‘Are you sure you’re fine?’

The pegasus nods and laughs. The prince sighs and returns to the stage. He notices Octavia smiling. Helios takes a deep breath as he listens to the announcer speak.

Rainbow dances around Large Fuji singing ‘I win!’ after their wrestling match. The large stallion lays unconscious as the officials tend to him. Helios looks at his opponent, an athletic-looking earth pony, and takes a deep breath. Large Fuji is helped from the field, and the ring is cleaned up.

‘What an exciting match!’ the announcer declares. ‘The petite, young Rainbow used her speed and agility to easily triumph over the hulking Fuji. Will we see an equally impressive show between Prince Helios and Mountain Mocha?’

The crowd cheers. Helios takes some deep breaths as he goes to the ring.

‘You ever do any fighting?’ Mountain asks.

‘Not unless you count Tekken,’ the prince replies.

‘Hmm. Don’t worry. I’ll avoid your horn. That is just a dirty tactic.’

‘Can you avoid the groin too? I would sorta like to be a father some day.’

Mountain laughs. ‘You’re a good kid. Just go easy with any alicorn strength you have.’

‘R-right.’

The competitors take their positions.

‘Come on, Helios!’ Alba shouts. ‘Prove you’re not a wuss!’

The young prince groans. Apple laughs from the sidelines. A whistle is blown. Helios and Mountain circle the ring, waiting for the other to make the first move. Mountain lunges, but Helios dodges. The older pony tries a few more moves, but Helios avoids each of them. Mountain charges to tackle the prince, but the alicorn raises a leg and holds his attacker off. He shakes his head.

‘I can’t do this.’

‘Sure you can!’ Apple calls. ‘You blew up a school. One punch and it is over.’

Helios seethes. ‘No. I can’t. I can’t hurt somepony for my own gain. I quit.’

The crowd jeers as Helios trots off field. The prince does his best to ignore everypony. He is tackled from behind.

‘My little brother is so noble!’ Rainbow sobs. ‘You are such a good pony. I am going to be sad not facing you in the finals.’

Helios smiles. ‘Thanks, Rainbow.’

‘Of course, I would have kicked your flank from here to Los Arion, but that is another story.’

Helios frowns. ‘Thanks, Rainbow.’

The young mare giggles as she joins the others on the sidelines. They go to meet with the rest of the group while the organizers set up for the final round.

Rainbow and Mountain Mocha return to the field for the final round. Both contestants are rested and ready for anything. The crowds cheer for the finalists. A large cloud sits in the middle of the field, blocking what the organizers have planned.

‘Welcome to the final round of the Iron Pony Competition!’

The crowds cheer and stomp even louder.

‘The contestants have been pushed to their physical limits. They have fought against each other all day. Now, they must face one last challenge: The Eliminator!

Pegasi blow the cloud away. Everypony marvels at a giant multi-stage obstacle course. There is a rope swing over a pit of mud, large cargo net climb leading to a zip-line, a small maze, hurdles of varying height, swinging foam-covered logs over a balance beam, and a ramp with reverse-running treadmills. Octavia nods in approval.

Rainbow looks up from preening her wings. ‘What? Did I miss something?’

Organizers usher the ponies to the starting line.

‘Contestants, ready?’

Rainbow and Mountain crouch, readying themselves for their race. ‘Ready!’

‘Audience, ready?’

The audience cheers. An official raises a green flag. As soon as the flag reaches its peak, Rainbow stands up. She looks back, sniffing the air.

‘What is she doing?’ Trixie wonders.

Raindrops sniffs and smiles. ‘Oh. She might lose this.’

‘What? No!’ Alba shouts. ‘You can do it, Rainbow!’

‘GO!’ the official yells, dropping the flag.

Mountain takes off running, climbing the treadmills as best he can. Rainbow looks at the ramp and back over her shoulder. She dances around, not knowing what to do. She screams. She scrambles up the treadmill and darts across the balance beam. She takes a flying leap over the hurdles and grabs the rope swing. A rainbow-colored streak passes Mountain in the maze. Rainbow only slows down when she gets her hoof caught in the cargo net. She grabs the zip-line in her mouth and flips to the ground when she dismounts. Rainbow dashes for the finish line as fast as she can. She trips and gets tangled in the finish line. An organizer helps her up.

‘Congratulations, Rainbow Pie! You are the new Ir-’

‘Churros!’

Rainbow shoots from the stadium and chases a vendor down the street. The organizers stare in shock. Mountain screams in surprise as he gets stuck in the cargo net and hangs upside down. Apple laughs as he approaches the announcer.

‘Sorry,’ the young stallion apologizes. ‘She has been that way since she could fly at a month old.’ He looks at the trophy the officials had prepared. ‘So... About the trophy...’

Apple and Helios admire Rainbow’s trophy in their hotel room.

‘The right pony won it,’ Helios states.

‘Yeah. She really did.’

‘Though, if I didn’t drop out, I would have won.’

‘Ha! Like I would have let you.’

The brothers bicker. Alba groans and turns to the others. Razzly is talking with Trixie.

‘A-and we’re going to need ice cream and at least three pies and...’

Trixie smiles and holds up a hoof. ‘Calm down. I remember what you wanted last night. You can always come with me if you want to get the right things.’

Razzly squeaks and backs away. Trixie laughs and pats her on the back.

Octavia sighs. ‘Are you sure we are going to need all of that again?’

Raindrops laughs. ‘Well, she is going to need something to eat once she is done with her snack.’

Rainbow sits on a pile of churros, stuffing them into her face. ‘This. Is the. Best. Day. Ever.’

Author's Note:

RoH Timeline: Rainbow gets churros! Oh. And she wins the Iron Pony. ... Churros!

Story Event: Yes, I intentionally named Large Fuji that. I needed a name and that was one that popped in my head as a Big Mac counter part like how Shining Armor and Flash Sentry are the same name.

TWP Connection: The final round is the same obstacle course Daring Do designed in Customer Appreciation.