• Published 17th Apr 2012
  • 1,923 Views, 101 Comments

Rebirth of Harmony - WanderingPhysicist



In a world that goes from one tragedy to the next, can these six break the cycle?

  • ...
8
 101
 1,923

Inside the Griffin Empire

The other ponies trot up beside their royals and bow to Mordred as well.

‘It is our honor to visit the Empire,’ Helios replies.

‘Don’t sound too rehearsed,’ Alba says, rolling her eyes. ‘It is great to meet you, Emperor Mordred. Our mother has told us about you.’

‘All good, I hope,’ the griffin replies.

‘If there was any bad, she wouldn’t have let us come here.’

Mordred chuckles. ‘That is good to know.’ The emperor looks at the Elements. ‘Wasn’t there another in your group?’

Trixie looks back. Octavia is missing. ‘I don’t think so,’ the unicorn replies. ‘You might have seen a crew member who returned to the ship.’

‘Hmm. Possibly.’ Mordred motions to a pair of electric carriages. ‘Shall we be off to the capitol?’

Mordred goes to a carriage and a guard gets the door for him. The ponies tentatively follow. Guards get the doors for the ponies approaching the second carriage. Once all the passengers are on board, the carriages drive away.

Alba goes to the front of her carriage to see how it works and talk to the driver. Trixie laughs as she comforts Razzly beside her. Mordred watches the ponies silently.

‘Impressive vehicle you have here,’ Helios comments.

‘Hmm. Whereas you ponies have great technology as well, you are still more reliant on magic,’ Mordred explains. ‘We griffins take pride in our technological prowess.’

‘Pretty surprising too,’ Trixie states. ‘You are surrounded by a number of ancient and highly traditional countries.’

‘Deerope is a close ally. Our trade agreements help both our nations thrive.’

‘Not just them, but the Zebra lands to the south, Thestrals to the North and Sea Ponies all around the oceans. You have a very rich land,’ Helios compliments.

‘We’re no Equestria, but we do what we can.’

‘It is not just Equestria that makes the NLR great,’ the prince counters. ‘It is all the members of the republic. Each one reinforces the others.’

Mordred rolls his eyes. ‘Yes. Many interconnected snowflakes.’

‘Technically, that is just one giant snowflake,’ Alba says from the front of the carriage.

The griffin sighs and settles in for the ride.

From their cabin, Corona and Sunset watch their cousins ride away. Corona maintains a hateful glare on the emperor until he is out of view. The airship’s engines come to life, and the vessel lifts off.

‘Next stop: Canterlot!’ Sunset cheers.

‘It will be good to be as far away from here as possible,’ Corona snorts.

‘Technically, that would be on the opposite side of the world. But good luck finding a good library out there.’

‘There is more to life than studying, Sunset Shimmer,’ her big sister states. ‘You have to take time to make friends and have relationships.’

The younger sister sticks out her tongue. ‘Eww! Relationships!’

The unicorn laughs at her sister’s reaction. There is a knock on the door. Blueblood looks in.

‘Am I interrupting something?’ the duke asks.

‘Not at all,’ Corona replies. ‘How can we help you?’

The stallion levitates a letter to the young mare. ‘This was found with some of the supplies we loaded back at the Republic. I think it has been there since we picked you up. It has your name on it.’

Corona opens the letter. Her eyes go wide in terror as she reads. ‘We have to turn around! Now!’

‘Why? What is wrong?’

‘We need to get this message to the others. They are in danger!’

‘I’ll see if we can land again, but it will take time to get clearance from the griffins.’

‘Time we don’t have.’

Corona rushes to the window. She squints as she tries to make out the figures below. She spots a white form on the rooftops. She charges as spell and the letter disappears.

The young unicorn falls back, panting. ‘Hope that gets to them in time.’

‘Should we continue trying to land?’ Blueblood asks.

‘Miss Octavia should be able to handle it,’ Corona replies. ‘But if the NLR has any ships in the area, tell them to be on alert.’

‘What did the letter say?’ Sunset says.

‘Let’s just say our cousins are closer to the enemy than they should be.’

The carriages pull up in front of a large castle. Attendants get the doors for the passengers. The arrivals gather around the vehicles while the red carpet is brought out.

Rainbow yawns and stretches her wings. ‘Are we in the Empire yet?’

Apple Pie shakes his head disapprovingly at his sister. Raindrops and Gilda exit their carriage, chatting.

‘He sounds like he was a very nice ruler. I wish I could have met him,’ Raindrops comments.

Gilda nods. ‘It is a shame you cannot.’

‘Talking behind my back,’ Mordred says, sneering.

Gilda frowns and looks away. ‘Raindrops was just asking about your predecessors. I’m sorry.’

The emperor glares at the ambassador.

‘I was wondering about them too,’ Apple Pie says. ‘For such an amazing country with a very rich history, you have surprisingly few monuments and public art projects.’

‘They are currently down for renovation,’ Mordred explains. ‘New ones are under production.’

‘They’ve been like that for years...’ Gilda mutters.

‘What was that, ambassador?’

‘Nothing! Sorry, sire.’

Mordred snorts and turns to his guests. ‘We have made accommodations for you to stay at the castle. Servants will show you to your rooms. Be sure to stay in the eastern wing of the castle, lest you wander too far into the military’s portion.’

‘You have a military outpost in your castle?’ Helios asks.

‘You can never be too safe protecting national interests.’ The emperor motions towards the castle. ‘If you’ll join me inside...’

The ponies follow Mordred inside. Trixie looks warily at castle but smiles when she sees a figure in white slip inside.

Trixie trots through the guest wing of the castle. Rainbow rests before dinner in her room. Alba and Razzly gallop between their rooms. Helios tries catching his sister and her friend before they cause too much trouble. Trixie laughs at the young ponies as she enters her room. She takes in her accommodations and sighs.

‘You better be cuddlier than you look,’ the unicorn comments.

‘Vinyl never complained,’ Octavia replies, laying on Trixie’s bed, reading a letter.

‘I noticed you are keeping yourself unnoticed.’

‘We’re in enemy territory. Best not to show all our cards just yet.’

Trixie rolls her eyes as she sits on the bed. ‘Must you think in such absolutist terms,’ she huffs. ‘What are you reading?’

Octavia reads. ‘Ms Shimmer. Please get this to the Elements of Harmony. The emperor is NOT your friend. He killed the king. He is the one trying to kill you. He wants to kill the Elements. Please trust me. Signed, the prince.’

Trixie takes the letter. ‘The prince? Shouldn’t we have met him by now?’

‘I didn’t know Mordred had a son.’ Octavia gets out her mobile. ‘Time to check with Lyra.’

‘Did you trace for bugs?’

‘Dropped them all out the window before any of you got to your rooms.’

‘What about signal monitoring devices?’

‘Not against a mobile made by the king. The room is safe. Trust me.’

Trixie shakes her head. ‘I do trust you, but I think we should see if this prince really does exist before we jump to conclusions.’

Octavia groans and puts away her mobile. ‘Fine. I’ll gather some intel before calling for confirmation.’ She flips her hood up. ‘The chefs better be making something good when I interrogate them.’

‘Careful not to grab from the wrong plate.’

‘Right. Don’t want to eat from one of yours if I want to live.’

Trixie growls. Octavia laughs and relaxes.

The guests are led to a dining hall. Mordred and Gilda greet the ponies as they arrive. A light orange unicorn mare with a curly yellow mane is already seated at the table. She is tapping away at a tablet. The guests take their seats around the table. The emperor bows and takes his seat.

‘I hope you are enjoying the castle so far,’ Mordred asks.

‘It is very lovely,’ Trixie replies.

‘A little cold,’ Helios adds.

‘Helios, be nice,’ Alba scolds. She smiles at the emperor. ‘You have a lovely castle.’

‘Still a little barren in the art department,’ Apple Pie comments.

Mordred glares at the earth pony.

‘Apple, you be nice too,’ Alba huffs.

‘Sorry,’ her older brother apologizes, ‘but I have seen images of griffin art. It is quite wonderful. I would have expected the walls of the castle to be adorned with the best works in the Empire.’

‘They have been put in storage for safekeeping,’ Mordred explains. ‘They belong to the public, and thus a proper display should be made for them.’

Gilda drinks a glass of wine. ‘Yeah. That is coming along smoothly.’

The emperor growls. He takes a deep breath. ‘Anyway, the maids have told me how nice it is having you visit.’ He laughs and raises his glass in toast toward Alba and Razzly. ‘They quite enjoy hearing youngsters playing in the halls again.’

Alba smiles and sticks her tongue at Helios.

‘Out of curiosity, how long ago was the last time?’ Trixie asks.

Mordred coughs a bit as he drinks. He takes a long sip of his drink. ‘It was a few years ago. Before the crown prince was sent away for schooling.’

Helios looks confused. ‘You have a son? I never heard of the Empire having a prince in my lifetime.’

‘He has been kept hidden to protect him.’

‘After what happened to the last prince, that is no surprise,’ Gilda comments.

‘Hold your tongue, ambassador,’ Mordred growls.

Gilda snorts and looks away.

‘What happened to the last prince?’ Helios asks.

‘It is not proper dinner conversation,’ the emperor hisses.

The prince backs away. ‘Sorry.’

‘No, no. It is not your fault the subject came up,’ Mordred replies. ‘Such topics always bring out curiosity in others. Now, if we are ready to din...’

‘Excuse me,’ Raindrops interrupts. ‘I don’t mean to be rude, but who is your other guest?’

The strange unicorn cackles as she keeps working at her tablet.

‘Her?’ Mordred looks at the unicorn. ‘She is our new head scientist at the research center in the castle. I hope you don’t mind me making her feel welcome while entertaining you.’

‘Not at all,’ Trixie responds. She turns to the other unicorn. ‘May I ask your name?’

‘You may,’ the strange unicorn laughs.

‘What is your name?’ Trixie huffs.

The strange mare smiles. ‘I’m Dr Morgan. Formerly of Canterlot University. I did some work in Trottingham too and in Manehatten with Skybound.’

‘Interesting. I wonder why I never heard of you before.’

‘I kept a low profile. I don’t like the spotlight too much.’ Morgan cackles.

Trixie sighs and sips her drink, using the magic lifting the glass to disguise sending a message on her mobile.

Octavia sighs as she checks her mobile. She shakes her head and pulls her hood over her head. The mare kicks a door open. She grabs the first griffin she can reach and extends a hidden blade under his throat.

‘Okay. Nopony do anything stupid or we’re adding roast chicken to the menu!’

The other chefs stare at the intruder.

‘Are you here to kill the emperor?’ one chef asks.

‘We’re finally free!’ another squeals to a cohort.

Octavia looks at the chefs and releases her captive. ‘You are going to cooperate with me?’

‘Well, I might overcook your entree,’ the former captive grumbles, ‘but anything to get this country back to what it once was.’

The assassin stabs a roll from a passing tray. ‘This might be easier than I thought.’

Octavia sits in the kitchen chatting with the chefs. She snacks on bits of the meals they are preparing.

‘How do you know Mordred did what he did?’ the assassin asks.

The head chef sighs. ‘We don’t really. The police and military investigated, but found no proof of foul play after a couple years.’

‘It just seems very convenient that Uther and his sons all died relatively close together,’ another chef adds.

‘Sounds to me like Arthur’s death fighting raiders is the truest loss,’ Octavia comments.

‘Arthur and raiders. Gawain and Lance fighting pirates. Great ways to cover up an assassination.’

The pony laughs. ‘Very true.’ She lifts a bowl of soup. ‘What about Mordred’s heir? All of us are just hearing about him.’

The head chef shakes his head. ‘Barely any of us know about him.’

‘Is he really away at school?’

‘Ha! That’s his best lie. The prince has been missing for over a year. I don’t think his spies even know where the prince went.’

Octavia finishes her soup. ‘I’m surprised Mordred isn’t trying for a new heir.’

The griffins start laughing.

‘Good luck with that,’ the head chef replies. ‘He had to hunt for a suitable griffin of noble birth for this last one. Doubt anyone in the Empire would give up their child so readily.’

‘Are you saying he’s..?’

The chef nods. ‘Mordred cannot have children.’

‘Hmm. This is getting really interesting.’

Mordred and his guests enjoy dessert together. The griffin watches the ponies warily. Gilda has left early to attend to personal business. Apple Pie and Apple Bloom chat together about their meal. Alba helps Razzly analyze the treat so Razzly can try making it some time. Morgan keeps working while levitating her dessert. Trixie keeps using her magic to mask her mobile use. She keeps glancing down to check messages. Rainbow lets out a big yawn and lays on the table.

Raindrops laughs. ‘Looks like I should be getting her back to her room.’

‘Agreed,’ Trixie states. ‘We have all had a long day and should be getting some rest.’

‘Probably just Rainbow being...’ Raindrops begins. Trixie shakes her head. ‘Being very tired from this long day,’ the pegasus finishes. ‘We should probably be getting some rest if we are going to explore tomorrow.’

Mordred nods in agreement. ‘That seems like a good idea. Miss Rainbow makes a good case for you as well. We will see you in the morning.’

The ponies rise, bow and head off together. Once they are all gone, Mordred turns to Morgan.

‘Well, what do you think?’ the griffin asks.

‘I think we need a bigger test chamber,’ the unicorn replies, levitating the remains of the other desserts before servants can clean up. ‘If the energy output from the last test it anything to go by, then we might be punching holes in the walls if we try scaling up any higher.’

‘Thank you for informing me, but I meant about our guests.’

‘Get me one of their Elements and I can power one of your cannons forever.’

‘And on a personal level?’

‘They have personalities? I barely noticed them.’

‘Charming as always. Remind me why I keep you around.’

‘One, because nopony else is psychotic enough to do what you need done for your military ambitions. And two, because nopony is psychotic enough to do what you need done to your body on a nightly basis.’ Morgan gets up, levitating one last dessert with her. ‘I’m going to take a shower. I expect you to be prone and ready for me when I get to your chambers later.’

Mordred grabs the pony by the throat. ‘You forget who the master is in this relationship.’

Morgan smiles and magically breaks his grip. ‘I love it when you get aggressive. Makes me so hot.’ She kisses his beak. ‘See you when I am good and ready.’

Morgan trots away cackling. Mordred grumbles and finishes his dessert. He shoots an angry glare at the servants who were watching him a moment ago.

Trixie heads back to her room after putting Razzly to bed. The tired unicorn flops down and groans as she stretches out.

‘Get anything good?’ Trixie asks.

‘The pasta was a little al dente for my liking, but still enjoyable’ Octavia replies. ‘Oh, and they have a far better selection than the emperor was willing to share with you tonight.’

‘I meant about the prince, Morgan, anything else but the food...’

‘The warning is worth heeding. According to the staff, they believe Mordred killed the last king and seized the throne for himself.’

‘I thought Uther died grieving for his lost sons.’

‘I’m going off rumors. You want facts, get Lyra and her spies in here. My organization only works the Empire if there is a threat to the Republic.’

‘Okay. Okay,’ Trixie sighs. ‘You can tell me everything you got while we go to sleep.’

The unicorn uses her magic to turn off the light. She turns it back on a second later. Octavia has her pinned to bed and is licking her cheek.

‘What are you doing?’ Trixie demands.

Octavia smirks. ‘Sorry. It has been a long time since I shared a bed with an unicorn mare. I guess I was just going on instinct.’

‘I appreciate the affection, but I do not swing that way.’

Octavia’s grin grows. ‘That is what Vinyl used to say… for the first few nights.’

Trixie exhales, levitates the earth pony aside and rolls over. ‘Just share your information with me and if one hoof goes where it doesn’t belong, Raindrops won’t be the only one with a prosthetic leg.’

Trixie turns off the light again. Octavia laughs, settles in and tells Trixie the intel she gathered.

Author's Note:

Story Event: The Elements get to know their enemy a bit better, not that any of them know he is their enemy yet.

Thank you to Twilight Mercer for the idea to include a Morgan le Fey character to serve with Mordred. Originally, she was just going to be nameless griffin scientists, but... Well, I'll get into her background soon enough too.