• Published 15th Nov 2013
  • 391 Views, 4 Comments

Chronicles of Luna: Future Past Equation - Pony of Science



Princess Luna uncovers a mystery 30 years old at a Scientific research facitity. As a result, she must thwart an act of vengence.

  • ...
2
 4
 391

Chapter 9: Unifying Principle

Chapter 9: Unifying Principle

Despite the fact that she knew she would not be able to stay up the entire night, Princess Celestia still made the effort.

But now, while she was asleep, it was not a sound one.

Celestia, being thousands of years old, has had her share of such nights, so this one shouldn’t be any different.

But it was; this time it was her sister in potential danger instead of her. The fact that she was dreaming wasn’t entirely clear until she saw her sister beside her.

“My dear sister Luna, I’ve been worried. Since we’re talking like this, I take your mission has not gone smoothly?”

Luna started, a clear tone of disappointment in her voice. “ No, it has not. There have been a great number of complications in this endeavor.”

Luna then proceeded to relay the events of the evening.

A short time later….

“There had been many ideas and theories of what had happened to the head of the facility, one of which, I imagine, you already considered as a possibility.”

“Platinum Gladiola, yes.” Celestia began “ After her disappearance decades ago, it only made sense that she was trapped within the facility itself.”

“ And it appears she has used that time to her advantage. But it’s strange. For all her time, she seems only concern is pressing her sister, and to an extent myself, into completing her tests. No mention of any other ambition has been forthcoming, only the advancement of science. ” Luna continued.

Surprise crossed Celestia’s face upon hearing that Luna was being the unwilling participant in Gladiola’s scientific testing.

“Are you alright, Luna?” Was Celestia’s only question and concern; EST testing tracks, while not know for being outright hazards, did have the potential for harm if unprepared.

“Hmm, yes, I am perfectly fine. The test track I was on previously was from the old facility, and made for earth ponies. It wasn’t exactly an intellectual drain, which was helpful considering I was alone in the endeavor. “

“But apparently her observation of me was enough to fine-tune something special; a track specifically for Alicorns. However, due to circumstances I don’t pretend to understand, Ms. Pinkamena Pie felt the overwhelming need to accompany me, a fact that has changed the dynamic entirely; The track has become equally solvable as the old one, but Gladiola has become entirely silent. Though I must say, I played a part in that when introducing my companion”

Celestia took a moment before answering. “ Twilight had mentioned that Pinkie is a rather, unique pony. Her commonplace behavior and capabilities tend to astound many. Gladiola, above all else, is a pony of Science, and having her data rendered unusable can’t sit well with her.”

“Which is another odd point; one would think that if retribution were her goal, that safety and harm to other would be no concern to her. Yet it appears she has taken great care to ensure the test tracks remained unchanged for the sake of consistent scientific research data. It’s as if she took great care to create an illusion of innocuousness and standard procedure. But she’s not the only one using such tactics, is she?”

Celestia raised an eyebrow, but wasn’t fazed by her sisters question.

Luna continued, clearly hitting her mark with her questioning.

“When Gold Sunflower acted out in defiance against her sister, she said a name clearly meant to hurt her. Shortly after that, power to almost the entire complex shutdown. I don’t exactly think that was a coincidence.” Celestia smiled, Luna was getting very good at deciphering her subtle contingency plans.

“ Good, the emergency reactor reboot does work, unfortunately it’s only temporary. It will take a long time, but they said power will be at 100% after 10 hours. But that will deny Gladiola access to things that could cause serious harm, like the incinerator. Hopefully, you can find her before then.”

“ Before that, in speaking with the RCSC, it seems that ponies are very concerned with what Gladiola might do, rather that what she is doing; they don’t even seemed concerned as to what she’d had to do survive for the time she’s been free.” Luna exposited.

“ That’s because they’re all afraid. Afraid of her, and the potential of what Gladiola’s capable of doing as a result of her being imprisoned in her own complex for so long. Even without magic, one single earth pony, whose whole life before now has been cold, dispassionate reason and painful heartache, is quietly bringing fear and uncertainty to the whole of the royal scientific community solely due to her return. You may be the only sentient entity that can have any chance of reaching her on an intellectual and possibly emotional level. You have made one point very clear, and now I know for sure of it; you, dear sister, are the only one capable of saving Platinum Gladiola from herself. “

Luna took a moment to absorb what a great responsibility had been laid upon her.

“ Two things confound me, Sister. If you had the inkling that Gladiola was trapped within her own facility, couldn’t you use magic to overcome any of the locks to free her, instead of leaving her second in command in charge?”

“Unfortunately, that kind of magic doesn’t work on the kind of electronics they use. I was hoping that Twilight would be able to adapt such magic to change that. Until then, that’s why you have the security ID card. Plus, Mobius Chain has, for lack of a better term, significantly better Pony skills. He also tends to be far more forthcoming when inquired.”

Celestia knew how that last part sounded, but couldn’t help that. The disappointed look on Luna’s face was bad enough; it wasn’t as if she couldn’t agree with her, she had only known Gladiola a single night and already had a fair idea of how unnerving she could be.

“You had another concern, dear sister?”

Luna look didn’t change, but continued with her questions. Celestia’s response was rather unintentionally harsh, but accurate.

“ I can understand how Gladiola was able to establish control of the whole complex over the course of the year she escaped her icy prison, but it’s clear she’s had control for a long time preceding that. How could she have done that with the technology of the time?”

“ If anyone would know that, it would be Gladiola herself. “ That was all Celestia could say on the matter, she was rather curious about that herself.

With that, Luna nodded and faded from Celestia’s dream, leaving the Princess of the Sun to wonder where here sister was headed next.

******

Silver Rose hadn’t noticed she had nodded off until she noticed Princess Luna approaching her alone.

Well, that and the fact Rose was wearing a sombrero made of Chocolate.

Headwear aside, Luna clearly had to talk to Rose, and she had a fair idea what it would be about.

“Princess Luna, good tuh see ya’ll are holding up. Ah take it ya’ll need tuh know more on my families history?”

Luna nodded.” Since it appears my stay will be an extensive one, and much of this ordeal is tied to your sister’s collective past. While I have some idea as to the depth and magnitude of their divide from Gladiola’s constant harangue, I need a more complete picture.”

“Where would ya’ll like tuh start?” Rose replied.

“ Gold Sunflower and Ball Point, what can you tell me about that?” Luna inquired.

“ Ooh deuh, that one. That was an ugly situation, some family members are still divided over that, and thuh marriage has been over fer decades. Ya’ll be surprised how many ponies in thuh family were on Gladiola’s side on that one. But Ah’m gettin’ off track. It wus durin’ one of Gladiola’s visits from College in tuh Summuh, She an’ Ball Point had been steady fer some taime, so seein’ him alongside hur was nothin’ to an event out of. Sunflower wus jealous, of course, but no pony paid no mind to hur. No Pony evuh could figure what she saw in him, he wus about the same age as Sunflower, but He and Gladiola were to graduate at the same taime. But that ain’t a big surprise, she’d been so far ahead in hur learnin’, Gladiola had graduated high school while Sunflower wus still failin’ middle school. Anyway, The engagement wasn’t official or anythin’ like that, she wus still some taime off from being of marryin’ age, wouldn’t have been proper otherwaise.”

“ Wasn’t Gladiola already part of the EST at that point?” Luna asked, for clarification.

Rose nodded “ Gladiola wus officially an intern until she got huh degree, but huh work had been so big she was set to be the head of any one of the facilities by that taime that happened, Tall tale wus the first opening. Sunflower, on thuh othuh hoof, wus workin’ at a hay fry shack, goin’ nowhere with huh laife, partyin’ every naight. But that visit, somethin’ happened between Sunflower and Ball Point. Ah don’t pretend to be naïve, so ah can only guess whut she said to him, it wus enough to make him think things differently. About a yeuh later, surprise, surprise, he’s got the ring for Sunflower, and Galdiola wus running the Tall Tale complex. “

“Which was when Gladiola said Sunflower didn’t matter.” Luna added.

“Raight, but as ya’ll know, Sunflower and Ball Point didn’t last long. Last Ah heard, Ball Point moved to Las Pegasus, found some nice mare, and had themselves a family.” Rose didn’t feel she needed to add the fact that after the divorce Sunflower ended up her problem, there was enough publication about that during her time as a model, alongside Sunflowers numerous indiscretions, of which Rose was fairly certain Luna didn’t want to hear about. Rose also didn’t mention her own marriage, which was still continuing strong.

Luna took a moment, then began with another question “ And some where before the divorce, Gladiola disappeared, correct?”

“Whah yes, now that ya’ll mention it. Wait, Ya’ll think Sunflower had somethin’ to do with that?”

“ Gladiola seems to think so, and if I had to guess, so did that Quark pony. It seems secrets and hidden agendas follow this situation like ghosts. Much like Gladiola Herself: a ghost of the past, come back to haunt those who wronged her.”

Luna gave a glance at Rose, and then changed the subject. “Thank you, Silver Rose, you have been most helpful. It seems the Puzzle of your youngest sister is finally coming together. Now, for somepony who is likely to be much less helpful.” Luna concluded, and as before, faded from the dream.

*******

Luna had to admit, she had an idea of what she’d be walking into when she entered the dreams of Gold Sunflower, but this was somehow more bizarre than she anticipated.

Sunflower was in a small room, running at top speed on a gigantic hamster wheel, looking rather frantic, while countless EST cameras covered the walls, with yellow lenses, surrounding the wheel, watching her silently, almost accusingly.

It could almost be a metaphor for her life.

A small part of her wanted to leave Sunflower like this; by all accounts it’s what Gladiola had in mind in the real world.

But Luna had questions, and it was time for answers.

Sunflower didn’t notice Luna walking up the side of the wheel holding it up.

After a brief shake, Luna flank checked the frame holding up the wheel. Luna had to admit, she learned this move from the rather forceful sport of roller derby; the principle of the sport was not that dissimilar from gladiatorial combat, only far less grim.

And sure enough, the hit threw her Sunflower off her pace, and shortly tumbled out of the wheel.

After a moment of gathering herself and examining the room, Sunflower found herself in a room with no cameras or wheel, only a very authoritative looking Princess Luna.

Clearly, from the look on Luna’s face, this wasn’t a social call.

“P,p,princess Luna, good to see ya’ll.” Sunflower nervously responded, but Luna wasn’t in the mood for pleasantries.

“ There are a lot of unanswered questions about what happened to your sister thirty years ago, and it’s clear you, and the stallion Quark, know about it. You can talk to me now, or you and he can confess your guilt of conspiracy and harm in the royal courts. Do you understand?”

Sunflower expression looked, and she emotionally felt, like a filly being chastised her parents again.

But she understood perfectly enough; her options were slim, and neither one benefited her.

On the other hoof, she really didn’t have any other options available, and if any pony could live up to her word, it was the Princess.

Sunflower simply shook her head yes to answer the Princess’ questions.

Luna began probing the past with questions. “ The events of thirty years ago coincide with the divorce proceedings of both you and Ball Point, yes? ”

The grimace on Sunflower’s face showed that the question was cutting closer than she would like.

But silent another shake of her head yes proved a sufficient answer.

“ Did Quark convince you that by causing Gladiola to disappear, that would change?” Luna continued.

“ Not quaite. He knew that Ah had stole him away from Huh, an’ Ah wus afraid Ball Point maight go back an’ beg huh forgiveness, tuh take him back. Ah couldn’t staynd it. Quark said If ah never saw huh again, mah laife would get easier without huh overshadowin’ me.That uh mare’s praide is worth preserving, and nopony had tuh know what happened, nopony would really miss huh.” Sunflower’s demeanor was starting to break; the long buried negative emotions bubbling to the forefront.

“But that never even happened, did it?” Luna quizzed.

“Nuhuh, that weren’t even a thang. Ball Point didn’t even try. Ah don’t know whut Quark wus to gain, but he didn’t escape Gladiola’s wrath. Even from the confines of the chambuh, Gladiola found a way to punish Quark for all this taime.”

Luna wasn’t happy with that.

Quark clearly had masterminded the disappearance, but the fact that he was able to manipulate Sunflower so easily, well it was no surprise he was scrubbing floors for the past thirty years.

But what was he trying to accomplish? And did Quark truly come up with the plan himself?

Clearly Sunflower didn’t know.

One thing She did know, however, would explain a great deal.

“ The reason Ball Point decided to leave, the final straw for him, it’s because your barren, isn’t it?” Luna had asked the question carefully, but had found it, the one question that hit Sunflower right in her heart.

Sunflower started crying, attempting to answer. “ Ah…had…Ah tried for…once in mah laife…to live up to mah promises. But no mattuh…what ah did…ah failed. Then, when ah…came back…from the doctuh…with that…that…” That was it, Sunflower couldn’t continue.

Luna had heard enough.

She had what she needed.

The picture was coming together, and wasn’t pretty.

Luna knew there was no consoling Sunflower after that point, and to a degree Luna wasn’t really in the mindset for affording her solace.

A small part of Luna had to wonder how much she sounded like Sunflower before her transformation into Nightmare Moon.

Not liking where her thoughts were headed, Luna left Sunflower to her pain and self-pity.