• Published 15th Nov 2013
  • 391 Views, 4 Comments

Chronicles of Luna: Future Past Equation - Pony of Science



Princess Luna uncovers a mystery 30 years old at a Scientific research facitity. As a result, she must thwart an act of vengence.

  • ...
2
 4
 391

Chapter 7: Repeating Sequence

Chapter 7: Repeating Sequence

Three thoughts had gone through Luna’s head as she and Pinkie Pie made their way out of the facility: One, the more obvious, was how effectively and safely everypony was exiting as they were.

The second; was there a cafeteria on this floor.

Even Pinkie was showing signs of slowing down due to hunger.

And the emergency lights were only good at finding and exit, not much else. The final thought concerned Gladiola, rather her control over the building.

The power failure, or whatever it was, had clearly severed a majority of the facilities functions and capabilities, but what remained?

Was it enough to continue her on her path of retribution against her sister?

And what new form would such action take?

Luna then noticed Pinkies rather concerned look on her face as she observed the princess.

“ Is there something wrong, Princess Luna? You look kinda upset?” Pinkie asked.

Luna replied, with a heavy sigh “ It is become an increasingly long story. One that it’s ending is going to be a long time coming. But I assure you, that while I may look perturbed, the reasons have nothing to do with you or my Sister.”

That seemed to satisfy Pinkie’s inquiry, and she bounced off toward the exit.

********

Lead Balloon and the rest of the RCSC had, ever since they landed, tried to make sense of what was going on.

Almost the whole staff wasn’t aware of the fact that Luna was even at the facility.

Those who saw her quickly became more interested in investigating the previously sealed area.

Aside from the patchwork of information gleaned from Mobius and Velvet about what had happened while locked in the old test track, nopony was sure what happened after the shutdown.
But the fact remained, that a hoofful of ponies were still inside; the Princess of the Night and the Old Facility Supervisor among them.

“ So it was a Class 3 power failure? That can’t be right. Class 3’s are essentially what’s used during construction during a major power short of a wing, not evacuating a whole facility.” Lead Balloon thought out loud.

*******

Main Office; that was what the sign said, along side a directional arrow point a different route than the emergency lights lead.

Sunflower had been staring at the sign, illuminated by the normal central lighting, the corridor lit similarly every three or four meters leading to the alleged location.

She had also been debating with herself as the likelihood that this was a set-up. It couldn’t be that easy to get to her.

But perhaps even Gladiola could make a mistake as obvious as this.

Pinkie noticed her sister at the intersecting hallway first.

A rocket like sprint by Pinkie followed this shortly to her sibling.

Luna, having witnessed Pinkie report that the other members of the staff who had been sealed with her were nearby, increased her stride.

Mobius and Velvet were quite happy to she the Princess safe and sound; even if her only company had been the silly, hyperactive pink pony that was currently smothering her relative with affection and endless blithe conversation.

Mobius spoke first to Luna “ Ah princess, good to see that we’ve all made it out this far so quickly.”

“Not quite all of us, Mobius Chain. Gold Sunflower is still unaccounted for.” Luna responded.

“ You mean the yellow pony from the transport, ‘cause she’s headed down that hallway.” Pinkie said, pointing down the intermittently lit hall, said pony galloping down.

“ I thought it was strange that this other side of the hallway was light, now see why?’ Inkie explained.

Luna shortly gave chase, stopping to pick up the sign that had fallen to the floor shortly after Sunflower sped off.

The fact it had simply been taped to the wall make it clear the Gladiola had taken matters into her own hooves.

Luna looked behind her and asked, her voice filled with authority.

” How far away is the exit?” Mobius answered, a clear idea as to what Luna had intended.

” A little ways up. We’ll be able to connect with the RCSC and let them know what’s going on. “ Luna nodded and headed down the hallway Sunflower had just gone down.

“Princess Luna wait.” Pinkie exclaimed, giving chase. “The exits not that way!”

Luna had, over the time trapped at the old test track, been made clear the fact that Sunflower was prone to poor decision making, but this was about to top them all.

Pinkie’s oblivious rational wasn’t strange enough, anypony else would have known that following Luna wasn’t the best idea; but there she was, a couple meters behind.

Any of the other elements of harmony would have done the same, but as to how helpful any one of them could be in this was rather up in the air.

Sunflower could see the doorway to the main office up ahead, and soon, she would face her baby sister.

This insanity needed to end, and no matter what Gladiola said, this was ending up in a hoof fight.

“Gold Sunflower, Stop!” The voice came from behind her, But not just from anypony. This was Princess Luna’s full, Traditional Royal Canterlot Voice.

And it was no suggestion, not a request; this was a Royal order.

And a very effective one it was, aside from the slide she did due to the shined and wax floor, Sunflower stopped shortly before the doors would open.

Unfortunately, that was close enough.

The walls had mechanically closed up behind her, causing the sign that had previous stated “Administration: Main Office”, to fall to the floor.

“Test Track Complex: Main” was the sign that had been hidden, a look of tremendous dismay crossed Sunflowers face as backed up to the enclosed walls.

“ I honestly, truly didn’t think you’d fall for that.” Gladiola said over the reactivated intercom. “ I had a much more complex trap for when you got past this simple one. If I’d known how easy you’d get captured, I’ll had have dangled a bunch of carrots from a rope on the ceiling. “

The walls had started moving Sunflower toward the test track doors. “ I think you’ve had enough of a break. And since it’s clear that the previous track was not engaging enough, we’re going to try one of the newest tracks. “

Sunflower whined in protest “Can’t we talk about this?”

The answer was obvious and unsympathetic. “No”, and was pushed through the doorway.

The frustration on Luna’s face was easily traced.

Pinkie was confused; not having been a witness to the events previous, what she just saw was rather bizarre and a little scary.

Then the walls returned to the original position, the doors to the complex opened and ready to receive the duo.

Luna then turned to Pinkie, and spoke frankly “ Pinkie, I have to follow into there and get the pony you just saw out, as well as evacuate the pony who put her there. This will not be an easy task, and I am unsure at to what she has planned to impede me. You have faced great danger and extraordinary situations before, but you will not have the assistance of the other Elements of Harmony. It will be just you and I. I would not blame you for not wanting to go in. “

Pinkie took a moment to think, clearly Luna had made her case.

Not since Pinkie Pie meet Twilight Sparkle, had such amazing things happen in her presence.

The return of the vengeful queen of night, who now stood before her in her original form; the defeat and redemption of the embodiment of chaos; the final resolution of a thousand year curse a wicked king; and most recently, the evolution and ascension of a princess, one of her bets friends.
Now, however, was something else.

Pinkie didn’t even really understand what was going on.

She just wanted to find the gift shop, bring some neat stuff back to Ponyville.

Now, here she was, with Princess Luna, in an empty mountain of science, about to face something unknown.

“Princess Luna, I’ve never not helped a friend, and I won’t start now. Whatever you need, I’m here.” Pinkie wasn’t famously known for her serious attitude, so her look of determination was somewhat surprising for Luna.

But also, it was a welcome response.

Not just in that Pinkie was willing to help, but once again hear that Luna was her friend.

It was then that the walls moved back to the original position, and the doors opened once again, waiting patiently for the duo to cross the threshold.

“Well then, let’s not keep Gladiola waiting. And don’t worry, I imagine there will be plenty of time to explain.” Luna told Pinkie as they entered the main test area.

Unlike the old track lobby, the technology and décor was a clear reflection of the advances and change of tastes over the last 30 years.

Though this time, no pony was rushing in to scour over the area.

But this place at least showed signs that life had been there recently: cups with now cold coffee and tea sat at desks with computer monitors showing various screen savers. “Wow, this place is even more unfriendly when noponies around.” Pinkie commented.

“Almost nopony. “ Luna said. The soft sound of an elevator stopping at their floor made it clear what their next move was expected to be.

After a glance toward each other, Luna and Pinkie entered, and were escorted to what was to be their designated test track.

“This Gladiola isn’t very talkative.” Pinkie said.

“At the moment, no. After the surprise she has in store is revealed, I imagine that she’ll be more willing to talk then.” Luna replied.

The stop had been as soft and subtle as the trip, and the opening doors gave no indication of what was in store.

It wasn’t until the both reached the top of the stairs that that Luna was sure what was up ahead; the depth and field of their ordeal.

The sign that lit up at they approached it: Alicorn track 1, room 1 of 22.

Pinkie spoke up after a moment. “That’s not a nice surprise.”

Luna had to agree. “No, no it is not.”