• Published 15th Nov 2013
  • 391 Views, 4 Comments

Chronicles of Luna: Future Past Equation - Pony of Science



Princess Luna uncovers a mystery 30 years old at a Scientific research facitity. As a result, she must thwart an act of vengence.

  • ...
2
 4
 391

Chapter 4: Baseline

Chapter 4: Baseline

A moment later, the elevator Luna took stopped one floor down. Gladiola addressed Luna through the loud speaker, her voice calmer, more professional.

“ I do apologize, Princess, but I’m afraid your assistance would drastically alter the data. I’m sure you understand.”

Luna addressed Gladiola, as best she could without seeing her.

“ I am Princess Luna, Princess of the Night. What I understand, is that two ponies are locked, against their wills, in the same part of this building as you have been for decades, because of your selfish need to settle a long standing vendetta against them, quite possibly deserved due to past transgressions. I may not know why, but whatever you’re planning is not the proper way to solve your problems. I would think the Head of this Facility would have much more respect for procedure and order.” Luna waited a moment for a response, and then continued. “ Now, if you would bring the elevator back down, we can begin the work to sort this long unsolved mystery out.”

With that, Gladiola responded. “I’m afraid that isn’t an option. Ms. Gold Sunflower is under contractual obligation to complete one full test track set, a contract she signed, and I personally intend for her to honor. And unfortunately by entering the elevator, you have volunteered to complete a test track yourself. Unless an emergency occurs, you are unable to leave the test track until you finish.”

A look of unpleasant surprise had come across Luna’s face, with an accompanying agape mouth.

“If it’s any consolation, it shouldn’t pose much of a challenge. Since these tracks were created and calibrated for Earth ponies. While we have tracks made for Unicorns and Pegasi, you have a rather exceptional advantage of both wings and magic, especially on these tracks. This will be a momentous learning experience for both of us.”

Luna couldn’t help but fell that as Gladiola finished her speech, and sense of satisfaction could be heard in her voice.

As Luna walked past the sign signifying that she was entering test chamber 1 of 19, her earpiece rang out with a voice other than Gladiola’s. “Princess Luna, Do you read me?” “Mobius Chain? Yes, I can hear you. Are all the other ponies that followed in here well?”

After a moment Luna got a response from Velvet. “ Yes, yes, we’re fine. How are you?”

“ I am well, but it appears I’ve been pressed into the service of scientific testing. And from the sound of things, the matter is not up for negotiation.” Luna answered.
“ Oh wow, She must have had this planned for some time if she’s willing to press-test royalty.” Velvet answered.

Mobius spoke up again.” It looks like Sunflower’s on test track 2, about three up from where you are now. I can’t get a fix on Gladiola, which complicates things.”

Luna interjected “The fact that Platinum Gladiola appears to have complete control of the Facility is of no help either. One part does concern me; it had been mentioned that the test tracks could be modified?”

“Modular test rooms, yes. That applies to the tracks made long after the ones your currently in, the idea didn’t even occur until a decade ago. It would take considerable effort to retrofit these tracks for it to be viable.” Mobius replied.

Luna added, “I certainly hope you are correct on that matter.”

Velvet continued with the situation breakdown “ Well, We’ve managed to access the loudspeaker system, so we can at least hear what’s going on over at track 2. All video camera access seems to be password protected, and with none of us being computer hackers, that won’t be an option. The Ponies on the outside have been attempting to communicate to us, using either the loudspeaker and personnel earpiece, but they seem to be having trouble. All we seem to get is garbled and fragmented.”

“ In any event, I shall endeavor with the task of completing this test track, keep me informed on any development with the sisters.” Luna affirmed.

Inkie finally responded ” Of course Princess. Should we also patch you through if either Princess Celestia or The RCSC call?”

“ That would be exceptional, Ms. Inkabeth Pie. ” Luna gratefully expessed.

Velvet piped up again “Okay, I’ll patch through to your earpiece, Princess.”

“Perfect, And Ms. Violet, Ms Rose, since you both are Family to the both of them, I will need explanations as to what will most likely be, a series of unpleasant trips down the lane of memories”

Luna reflected briefly on the fact she didn’t get that phrase right. Reading Twilight’s letter had given her a much better grasp of the modern vernacular, alongside her nightly observations on the dreams of Equeastria, but every once in a while, Luna tripped up.

Then Gladiola’s voice started up on the loudspeaker on track 2.

“ Come now, Sunflower, standing in that elevator isn’t going to make this go any faster. What did mother say? ‘Always go forward, smiling’? While I’m sure you won’t be doing the later, going forward is mandatory.” Gladiola droned with a hint of spite.

“Come on, Gladiola, isn’t this a bit much? Couldn’t ya’ll just have sent ah nasty letter, or fought it out in mall lobby like everyone else?” Sunflower whined.

Gladiola continued, “The simple fact that you’ve had that happen more than once stands as proof that it wouldn’t work. Besides, this gives us ample time for you to explain.”

“Explain, Explain what?!” Sunflower was starting to get worried. It could be quite a long time if Gladiola meant for her to explain every single rotten thing she did in her lifetime, or just what she did to Gladiola personally.

Gladiola went on “ Why you thought dropping that cake on me was funny.”

“Ooooh, this is going to be a long night.” Velvet Violet responded.

Luna, Having solved the puzzle of the room by placing a cube upon a rather large button, which caused the door at the end to open, inquired. “What do you mean? Is this one of the transgressions Gladiola mentioned? “

Rose told the story, since she had a first hand account “ It was Platinum Gladiola’s sixth birthday. Mother had gotten a three tiuh yellow cake with butter cream frosting, for being a good filly; Huh party is three hours away, Mother was setting up the decorations. Sunflower invites Gladiola to the Kitchen to look at her cake; Next thing anypony knows, Sunflower is laughing huh flank off, and Gladiola is covered in huh cake, not crying, yelling, trying to hit Sunflower, nothing. She simply goes to her room and stays there the rest of the weekend. The party is a disastuh since no one can convince Gladiola to come down. Sunflower is grounded for three months, which didn’t do much good, as you can imagine Princess Luna. Gladiola herself began to spend as little time at home as possible.”

“And at age seven, attains her cutie mark, and proves the existence of the Fillydephia Chimera by bringing a living one to a science fair in a massive treaded cage, starting her path into the field of equestrian science.” Luna Finished.

“But, I imagine, she bore injuries to her soul, rather than her body as a result? Ones that may not have healed?”

Velvet responded to Luna’s inquiry, having studied Gladiola’s psyche evaluation. “ Yes, to start, a significant lack of emotional output, near quasi-mechanical personality, and strict adherence to rules and regulations. Almost no personal relationships, one failed engagement, little communication with family, but that’s no surprise. Less severe points include an unwillingness to celebrate her own birthday, and a general aversion to cake.”

“If the opportunity presents itself, I will have to inform Pinkamena of this, it wouldn’t sit well if my sister decides to host a celebration to which Ms. Gladiola is invited.” Inkie thought.

Luna was about to ask another question, when Gladiola spoke through the loudspeaker to her.

” Well, well, if this first chamber is any indication, you’ll be done with this track faster than the leading earth pony. But then that’s no surprise, is it? Still, it will provide valuable data on the alicorn species.”

“You are not the only one learning valuable information, Platinum Gladiola.” Luna answered. “ Your sister’s actions on your birthday are inexcusable, but…”

“But. That is of no concern to yew. “ Gladiola’s tone had taken a unpleasant tone, as well as hint of an accent, similar to that of her sisters. That fact that she had it wasn’t as surprising as the fact she had managed to suppress it up to this point. “What is important is completing the test track, and dredging up my past isn’t going to make that happen any faster.”

Luna responded with authority. “But it may stop you from what torment you have planned for your Sister.”

“ It’s nothing worse than what I’ve endured of the course of my life. But I’m certain you’ll hear all about that.” Then the audio cut out on the loudspeaker, announcing that Gladiola was done with the conversation, regardless of Luna.

Luna was starting to get a headache; solving this whole situation was becoming more of a debacle the longer it went on. The length of time Gladiola clearly had to plan this outweighed the small amount of information and time the RCSC had available.

There were some other questions that could be answered right now, however. “Silver Rose, Mobius Chain, I have noticed something strange regarding Gladiola.”

“If it’s about the accent, Ah don’t know where she learned to talk without it. Ah just know that aftuh she got back from college, in the brief time she spent at home before she moved to Tall Tale, she was talkin’ like that. It weren’t no big surprise, She’d been losin’ huh accent bit by bit every taime she’ wus visitin’ from college.” Silver Rose responded.

“While that does explain an interesting point, there is another point about her voice I wish to ask. Does something seem to be missing from her voice? “

There was a moment of silence, as the trio who had the question posed pondered. Silver Rose finally spoke up with an answer “Age, that’s it.”

“That’s right, if she’s been locked in here for thirty years, wouldn’t it be reflected in her voice?” Mobius concluded.

“Yes, and more than likely, Ms. Sunflower and Mr. Quark both had a hoof in Platinum Gladiola’s disappearance, and that lack of age may play a part.”

“Of course, Cryogenics lab six.” Mobius deduced.

“Pardon?” asked Luna. “

There’s a cryogenic freezing test lab at this part of the facility, specializing in cyro-stasis, if she was trapped in one of the chambers, that explains a great deal.” Mobius explained.

“It poses numerous additional questions as well. However they will have to wait. In the event RCSC calls, they should be informed of this development. “ And with that statement, Luna continued with the test chamber.

RCSC Land Transport 1:

Information was still being forwarded to the transport via onboard email, but the debate over the events of the evening we’re being examined by the committee.

Twelve older mares and stallions sat in the main seating area, talking over what information they had.

“Blast, looks like I’m out twenty bits.”

“ Long odds are easy to bet against. Her return to the land of the living was such a long shot, were it not for the constant data middle-ponying, no one would ever begin to imagine otherwise.”

“ With the fact that Princess Luna was asked to look into EST Tall Tale facility personally, clearly Princess Celestia believes that Gladiola would need a voice of reason other than herself.”

“I have to wonder if that will be enough, this is the ‘ice queen of science’ we’re talking about.”

“ Fair enough; apparently the decades she’s spent being imprisoned in her own facility, she went from being the ‘scary science pony’ to being the ‘ scary omnipotent science cyber pony’.”

“Regardless, this situation could become a serious crisis if neither we or Princess Luna can figure out how to fix this.”

“How soon until we can establish audio contact with EST Tall Tale? “

“Thirty minutes until contact can be established. Three hours until arrival at the facility.” The attention then turned to the pony that hadn’t added to the conversation.

“It hasn’t occurred to any of you that, since Gladiola is still around, what her stance of our proposition might be? Yes, it’s been over thirty years, but if she’s willing to hold on to a grudge with her sister of this long, that would be equally fresh in her mind as well?”

“I guess we’ll find out soon enough.”