• Published 5th Dec 2013
  • 1,304 Views, 34 Comments

A Tyrant Uplifted - ToneCraft



A unicorn tries to right some past wrongs.

  • ...
0
 34
 1,304

Suspicions

Sombra sat in a corner, trying not to show the tears leaking from his eyes. He had a single book in his hooves, titled Magical Ailments.

"Petrification," Sombra's voice echoed in his head as he read the book, "commonly inflicted by creatures like the cockatrice or the medusae, this effect transforms a creature's flesh into stone, effectively locking them in time. While difficult, it is possible to reverse the condition using one of many ways. The most common is for the being that caused the petrification to occur to reverse it itself. For a pony, there are a few options. One involves a potion concocted from a filing off of the victim, chamomile, and cowslip, to be painted across the point where the victim was struck by the petrifying effect."

"Another involves bathing the victim in the blood of the creature that caused it to begin with. It must be the same creature, or this cure will not work. This cure is less common amongst ponies who--"

"Look at that freak," Sunrise said, getting up from his desk, "So stuffed in his book that he didn't even notice the bell ring." A gold hoof came down on the book, knocking it out of the smaller colt's grasp, "No shine to your coat, no social standing, just some orphan who happens to show up."

"Sunrise, you should lay off." Aurora approached. Sombra looked up at the filly, taking in her appearance. Her coat had the same shine as everyone else in the Empire. She seemed to shift from green to blue with each step. Her mane was pulled to the side by a clip with a fractured sapphire on the end. Her eyes kept a constant shade of light purple. All in all, she was beautiful.

A tear rolled down Sombra's cheek as he slept. He wasn't in a cell, like he was afraid he'd be. Instead, he was back in his bed. Angel Mist had defended him, a complete stranger with the reputation of a monster.

------

Despite his gratitude, the unicorn couldn't help feel that something was wrong about his defender. He walked out of his apartment, meeting Twilight Sparkle at the door.

"Good morning!" The alicorn said, in her usual, cheery tone.

"Better than it could have been," Sombra said softly.

Twilight smiled gently, "Yes. It could have been worse. You could have gone over the line. But you didn't. And I think the solution we have works just fine."

"As long as I'm in public, I'm to be accompanied by at least one Element Bearer," Sombra said, as though he was reading a script, "This condition will remain until further assessment becomes possible."

The two came upon the hospital as they continued to converse. "Any progress on curing Zecora?" Sombra asked.

"No," Twilight responded, "We can usually get the creature who did it to reverse it before the night even passes. Nopony's bothered to research a cure in a long time. On top of that, Zecora had been petrified for weeks before AppleBloom found her, meaning it's harder to cure."

"True. There are cures, though. I read a book from the Crystal Library when I was a colt about various magical ailments and how to cure them. If I remember correctly, it was simply titled Magical Ailments." The unicorn entered the room in which Zecora sat, following the young princess.

The stone zebra still had visible stripes, and her jewelry had turned to stone as well as her body. Her right foreleg stuck out at an odd angle, as if broken. A look of fear remained frozen into her face, wide-eyed and her mouth stuck in a scream. A familiar purple dragon sat in the chair in the corner, while AppleBloom stood next to the bed, watching the zebra.

"Dr. Horse says he just needs a couple herbs to try to cure Zecora," the filly said, "He says without the petrifying agent, he's going to try a general dispel mix."

"Sombra just told me about a book in the Crystal Library. Magical Ailments," Twilight said, putting a hoof over AppleBloom's shoulder, "We'll get her cured, I promise."

AppleJack walked through the door. "I've got some juice outside, if you're thirsty, AppleBloom," she said softly.

"Thanks, AJ, but I'm good for now," the filly responded.

"AppleJack," Twilight spoke up, "Good timing. I need you to stay with Sombra. He told me about a book in the Crystal Library, with a potential cure. And, well, you know he's not allowed in the Empire, so. . ."

AppleJack nodded, "I understand, sugarcube. Head on out."

Twilight took off out the door, giving a grateful smile as she did.

Sombra looked at AppleBloom, then at AppleJack, "AJ, I need to ask a favour as well."

"What do you need?" The mare asked, eyebrow raised.

------

The pair stood at the edge of Everfree, looking inside. Sombra had a pair of cherry red saddlebags on his sides, and AppleJack had her usual tan bags adorned with her cutie mark.

"Why does it seem that the two of you are going on an expedition into the most dangerous local forest?" Angel Mist asked, causing both ponies to jump.

"You've probably heard about the petrified zebra in Ponyville General," Sombra answered after a moment, "we're looking for the creature responsible."

"Not many ponies I know of would go seeking out a known danger alone," The white unicorn pointed out, "Especially not one that has already had a victim."

"Did you notice who you're talking to?" AppleJack raised an eyebrow, looking at the stranger, "Sombra, formerly a big villain of the Crystal Empire, and AppleJack, bearer of the Element of Loyalty?"

"Fair enough, I suppose," Angel shrugged, "But do be careful. I know how important the Elements are to Equestrian security."

------

"I'm not sure about him," Sombra said, "Something's. . .off."

"How d'you mean?" the farmer cocked her head to the side, "He seems like a friendly enough stranger."

"I don't know." The unicorn's aura flickered to life in order to illuminate the path, "Just--ugh. . ."

"Ugh?" AppleJack looked at her companion, "I know he was stickin' his nose in, but--You alright"

"I smell something. . .It's familiar. . .Like a pile of wet bits. . !" Sombra's horn shone brighter, "It's blood!" Without waiting for a reply, the stallion galloped down the path, leaving the mare to run in order to stay within the light.

Both ponies skidded to a halt, the light from Sombra's horn illuminating the source of the smell.

"Sweet Celestia. . ." AppleJack said, putting a hoof over her muzzle.

"What in Tartarus. . ." Sombra muttered, "So much for getting the creature to reverse it. . ."

Impaled on a branch in front of the pair was a creature with the body of a winged snake, and the head of a rooster. Its head and limbs hung limply, and the wood sticking out of its chest was still dripping.

"This. . .Just. . .Happened. . ." Sombra said, eyes quivering as he turned to AppleJack, "We need to go. Whatever happened here, it happened just now, and whatever did it is probably still around. Hold still."

He put a hoof on AppleJack's side, horn flashing brightly as he focused. In a moment, the pair were standing in the gate to Sweet Apple Acres.

"Come on, let's get you inside," He said, walking with the shocked mare into the farmhouse.

"It was just. . ." She quivered, looking at the unicorn.

"I know," Sombra said, "And it's late. Let's get your brother."

------

"Sombra," Big Mac started, as his sister finally got to sleep.

"I'm sorry," the unicorn said, before looking back at the larger stallion, "I didn't mean to subject her to that."

The earth pony shook his head, "No apology right now, y'hear? You brought her back safe, and went straight to me. Not to mention what you've done for AB. As far as I'm concerned, you're welcome at Sweet Apple Acres."

". . .Thanks," Sombra gave a nod before walking out the door.

------

"Was it him?" Sombra walked through the town, "Freshly killed cockatrice, right after seeing him outside the forest. He makes warnings, and we find exactly the dangerous creature we were looking for, but dead. If it was him. . ."

His thoughts were interrupted by the smell of smoke. He looked up, and found that he had walked a long distance, and was coming up on his apartment building.

The building was on fire.

"Lyra. . !"

Comments ( 3 )

You got the colors of the Alicorn Amulet wrong. The gem is dark red and the wings aren't yellow.

It lives, excellent

8421452
Despite my colourblindness, this difference is actually intentional. It's been explained already.

Login or register to comment